Dr Rachel Dickinson
In 2010 I began my current position as a research associate at the Institute of Cellular Medicine within Newcastle University. I am funded by Leukaemia and Lymphoma Research and I have been conducting research in the field of haematology and immunodeficiency disorders. From 2006-10 I was a MRC Career Development Fellow at the MRC Centre for Reproductive Health in Edinburgh. Earlier in 2006 I was awarded a PhD for my thesis entitled “Molecular and functional characterisation of the SLIT, ROBO and RASSF2A tumour suppressor genes”. My PhD was funded by the Breast Cancer Campaign.
While my career to date has focused on research, I also really enjoy engaging with a wider audience about science. This has included designing and helping to run events at four Science Festivals and contributing to Asteroid Belter: The Newcastle Science Comic. I am also a sub editor for REACT: The Newcastle Science Magazine. Furthermore I enjoyed the opportunity to be a presenter for the SciScreen series at the Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle where scientists present the science behind popular films. I also presented part of the Mini Medical School 2015 lecture entitled "The immune system: protection vs disease" at Newcastle University. More information can be found at:
My research (with Prof. Matthew Collin) has used exome sequencing to discover that GATA-2 mutation is the cause of DCML deficiency. Patients with this condition lack dendritic cells, monocytes, B and NK cells in their peripheral blood and can develop leukaemia. This typically occurs in young adulthood. I am now examining the impact of these gene mutations on GATA-2 expression and function. I have also been using a similar approach to identify gene defects associated with other sporadic and hereditary immunodeficiency disorders. More information can be found at: http://www.hudendritic.org
I have delivered lectures to second year students as part of the CMB2000: Principles and Practice of Molecular Techniques module and to final year undergraduate students at Sunderland University
I am a seminar leader for the Stage 2 Dental Surgery BDS Immunology & Healthcare 17 module and the CMB1003 School of Biomedical Sciences module.
I have been a demonstrator for Immunology & Microbiology laboratory practicals within the Biomedical Sciences CMB1006 module and marked the coursework.
I am an assessor for the Mres course and a supervisor of Mres student projects at Newcastle University.
I supervise undergraduate and postgraduate students.
- Collin M, Dickinson R, Bigley V. Haematopoietic and immune defects associated with GATA2 mutation. British Journal Of Haematology 2015, 169(2), 173-187.
- Bigley V, McGovern N, Milne P, Dickinson R, Pagan S, Cookson S, Haniffa M, Collin M. Langerin-expressing dendritic cells in human tissues are related to CD1c+ dendritic cells and distinct from Langerhans cells and CD141high XCR1+ dendritic cells. Journal of Leukocyte Biology 2015, 97(4), 627-634.
- McGovern N, Schlitzer A, Gunawan M, Jardine L, Shin A, Poyner E, Green K, Dickinson R, Wang XN, Low D, Best K, Covins S, Milne P, Pagan S, Aljefri K, Windebank M, Saavedra DM, Larbi A, Wasan PS, Duan K, Poidinger M, Bigley V, Ginhoux F, Collin M, Haniffa M. Human Dermal CD14+ Cells Are a Transient Population of Monocyte-Derived Macrophages. Immunity 2014, 41(3), 465-477.
- Dickinson RE, Milne P, Jardine L, Zandi S, Swierczek SI, McGovern N, Cookson S, Ferozepurwalla Z, Langridge A, Pagan S, Gennery A, Heiskanen-Kosma T, Hamalainen S, Seppanen M, Helbert M, Tholouli E, Gambineri E, Reykdal S, Gottfreosson M, Thaventhiran JE, Morris E, Hirschfield G, Richter AG, Jolles S, Bacon CM, Hambleton S, Haniffa M, Bryceson Y, Allen C, Prchal JT, Dick JE, Bigley V, Collin M. The evolution of cellular deficiency in GATA2 mutation. Blood 2014, 123(6), 863-874.
- Haniffa M, Shin A, Bigley V, McGovern N, Teo P, See P, Wasan PS, Wang XN, Malinarich F, Malleret B, Larbi A, Tan P, Zhao H, Poidinger M, Pagan S, Cookson S, Dickinson R, Dimmick I, Jarrett RF, Renia L, Tam J, Song C, Connolly J, Chan JK, Gehring A, Bertoletti A, Collin M, Ginhoux F. Human Tissues Contain CD141hi Cross-Presenting Dendritic Cells with Functional Homology to Mouse CD103+ Nonlymphoid Dendritic Cells. Immunity 2012, 37(1), 60-73.
- Dickinson RE, Griffin H, Bigley V, Reynard LN, Hussain R, Haniffa M, Lakey JH, Rahman T, Wang XN, McGovern N, Pagan S, Cookson S, McDonald D, Chua I, Wallis J, Cant A, Wright M, Keavney B, Chinnery PF, Loughlin J, Hambleton S, Santibanez-Koref M, Collin M. Exome sequencing identifies GATA-2 mutation as the cause of dendritic cell, monocyte, B and NK lymphoid deficiency. Blood 2011, 118(10), 2656-2658.
- Dickinson RE, Fegan KS, Ren X, Hillier SG, Duncan WC. Glucocorticoid regulation of SLIT/ROBO tumour suppressor genes in the ovarian surface epithelium and ovarian cancer cells. PLoS One 2011, 6(11), e27792.
- Bigley V, Haniffa M, Doulatov S, Wang XN, Dickinson R, McGovern N, Jardine L, Pagan S, Dimmick I, Chua I, Wallis J, Lordan J, Morgan C, Kumararatne DS, Doffinger R, van der Burg M, van Dongen J, Cant A, Dick JE, Hambleton S, Collin M. The human syndrome of dendritic cell, monocyte, B and NK lymphoid deficiency. Journal of Experimental Medicine 2011, 208(2), 227-234.
- Duncan WC, McDonald SE, Dickinson RE, Shaw JL, Lourenco PC, Wheelhouse N, Lee KF, Critchley HO, Horne AW. Expression of the repulsive SLIT/ROBO pathway in the human endometrium and Fallopian tube. Molecular Human Reproduction 2010, 16(12), 950-959.
- Dickinson RE, Hryhorskyj L, Tremewan H, Hogg K, Thomson AA, McNeilly AS, Duncan WC. Involvement of the SLIT/ROBO pathway in follicle development in the fetal ovary. Reproduction 2010, 139(2), 395-407.
- Dickinson RE, Duncan WC. The SLIT-ROBO pathway: a regulator of cell function with implications for the reproductive system. Reproduction 2010, 139(4), 697-704.
- Dickinson RE, Stewart AJ, Myers M, Millar RP, Duncan WC. Differential expression and functional characterization of luteinizing hormone receptor splice variants in human luteal cells: implications for luteolysis. Endocrinology 2009, 150(6), 2873-81.
- Dunwell TL, Dickinson RE, Stankovic T, Dallol A, Weston V, Austen B, Catchpoole D, Maher ER, Latif F. Frequent epigenetic inactivation of the SLIT2 gene in chronic and acute lymphocytic leukemia. Epigenetics 2009, 4(4), 265-269.
- Duncan WC, Myers M, Dickinson RE, van den Driesche S, Fraser HM. Paracrine regulation of luteal development and luteolysis in the primate. Animal Reproduction 2009, 6(1), 34-46.
- Cooper WN, Dickinson RE, Dallol A, Grigorieva EV, Pavlova TV, Hesson LB, Bieche I, Broggini M, Maher ER, Zabarovsky ER, Clark GJ, Latif F. Epigenetic regulation of the ras effector/tumour suppressor RASSF2 in breast and lung cancer. Oncogene 2008, 27(12), 1805-1811.
- Dickinson RE, Myers M, Duncan WC. Novel regulated expression of the SLIT/ROBO pathway in the ovary: possible role during luteolysis in women. Endocrinology 2008, 149(10), 5024-5034.
- Dallol A, Dickinson RE, Latif F. Epigentic disruption of the SLIT-ROBO interactions in human cancer. In: Esteller, M, ed. DNA Methylation, Epigenetics and Metastasis. Dordvecht: Springer, 2005, pp.191-214.
- Dickinson RE, Dallol A, Bieche I, Krex D, Morton D, Maher ER, Latif F. Epigenetic inactivation of SLIT3 and SLIT1 genes in human cancers. British Journal of Cancer 2004, 91(12), 2071-2078.