Dr Rebecca Payne
Wellcome Trust Career Re-entry Fellow
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0191 208 2796
- Address: 3rd Floor Leech Building
I began my career in immunology at Oxford University in the lab of Prof Philip Goulder studying CD8+ T-cell responses to HIV and HIV adaptation to CD8+ T-cell immune pressure.
I joined the Primary Immunodeficiency Group in the Institute of Cellular Medicine at Newcastle University in January 2016, following a 3-year break from research, working as a Research Associate for Prof. Sophie Hambleton. During this time I secured an internal award from the Newcastle Single Cell Unit which allowed me to begin gathering preliminary data from the recently installed Helios CyTOF located in the Newcastle Flow Cytometry Core Facility.
I plan to use my Wellcome Fellowship to continue exploring the theme of host/pathogen interactions in immunodeficient patients. I will be working with Prof Sophie Hambleton and Prof Muz Haniffa to understand the role of Innate Lymphoid cells in immunodeficiency. I will investigate how Innate Lymphoid cells interactive with adaptive immune responses and how they might mediate signals from the gut microbiome during stem-cell transplant. I hope that these studies will provide insights into novel therapeutic interventions necessary to tackle stem-cell transplant complications such as Graft-versus-Host Disease.
- Payne RP, Muenchhoff M, Goulder PJR. Reply to Jefferys: Declining HIV Virulence. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2015, 112(17), E2119.
- Payne RP, Muenchhoff M, Mann JK, Roberts HE, Matthews PC, Adland E, Huang KH, Brockman M, Brumme Z, Sinclair M, Miura T, Frater J, Essex M, Shapiro R. Impact of HLA-driven HIV adaptation and of anti-retroviral therapy on HIV virulance . Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2014, 111(50), E5393-400.
- Payne RP, Branch S, Kløverpris H, Matthews PC, Koofhethile CK, Strong T, Adland E, Leitman E, Frater J, Ndung'u T, Hunter E, Haubrich R, Mothe B, Edwards A, Riddell L, Chen F, Harrigan PR, Brumme ZL, Mallal S, John M, Jooste JP, Shapiro R, Deeks SG, Walker BD, Brander C, Landis C, Carlson JM, Prado JG, Goulder PJ. Differential escape patterns within the dominant HLA-B*57:03-restricted HIV Gag epitope reflect distinct clade-specific functional constraints. J Virol 2014, 88(9), 4668-78.
- Juarez-Molina CI, Payne R, Soto-Nava M, Avila-Rios S, Valenzuela-Ponce H, Adland E, Leitman E, Brener J, Muenchhoff M, Branch S, Landis C, Reyes-Teran G, Goulder P. Impact of HLA selection pressure on HIV fitness at a population level in Mexico and Barbados. J Virol 2014, 88(18), 10392-8.
- Kløverpris H, Payne RP, Sacha JB, Rasaiyaah JT, Chen F, Takiguchi M, Yang O, Towers GJ, Goulder PJR, Prado JG. Early antigen presentation of protective HIV-1 KF11Gag and KK10Gag epitopes from incoming viral particles facilitates rapid recognition of infected cells by specific CD8+ T cells. J Virol 2013, 87(5), 2628-38.
- Kløverpris HN, Stryhn A, Harndahl M, Payne R, Towers GJ, Chen F, Riddell L, Walker BD, Ndung'u T, Leslie A, Buus S, Goulder P. HLA-specific intracellular epitope processing shapes an immunodominance pattern for HLA-B*57 that is distinct from HLA-B*58:01. J Virol 2013, 87(19), 10889-94.
- Matthews P, Listgarten J, Carlson J, Payne RP, Huang KH, Frater AJ, Goedhals D, Steyn D, Vuuren C, Paioni P, Jooste P, Ogwu A, Shapiro R, Mncube Z, Ndung'u T, Walker B, Heckerman D, Goulder PJR. Co-operative additive effect between HLA alleles in control of HIV-1 viraemia is linked to breadth of CD8+ T cell responses. PloS One 2012, 7(10).
- Matthews PC, Koyanagi M, Kloverpris HN, Harndahl M, Stryhn A, Gatanaga H, Oka S, Molina CJ, Ponce HV, Rios SA, Cole D, Carlson J, Payne RP, Ogwu A, Ndungu T, Chen F, Riddell L, Luzzi G, Shapiro R, Brander C, Walker B, Sewell AK, Teran GR, Heckerman D, Buus S, Takiguchi M, Goulder PJR. Differential clade-specific HLA-B*3501 association with HIV-1 disease outcome is linked to immunogenicity of a single Gag epitope. J Virol 2012, 86(23), 12643-54.
- Kloverpris HN, Stryhn A, Harndahl M, vanderStok M, Payne RP, Matthews PC, Chen F, Riddell L, Walker BD, Ndung'u T, Buus S, Goulder P. HLA-B*57 Micropolymorphism shapes HLA allele-specific epitope immunongenicity, selection pressure , and HIV immune control. J Virol 2012, 86(2), 919-29.
- Matthews PC, Adland E, Listgarten J, Leslie A, Mkhwanazi N, Carlson JM, Harndahl M, Stryhn A, Payne RP, Ogwu A, Huang KH, Frater J, Paioni P, Kloverpris H, Jooste P, Goedhals D, vanVuuren C, Steyn D, Riddell L, Chen F, Luzzi G, Balachandran T, Ndungu T, Buus S, Carrington M, Shapiro R, Heckerman D, Goulder PJ. HLA-A*7401-mediated control of HIV viraemia is independent of its linkage disequilibrium with HLA-B*5703 . J Immunol 2011, 186(10), 5675-86.
- Payne RP, Kløverpris H, Sacha JB, Brumme Z, Brumme C, Buus S, Sims S, Hickling S, Riddell L, Chen F, Luzzi G, Edwards A, Phillips R, Prado JG, Goulder PJ. Efficacious early antiviral activity of HIV Gag- and Pol-specific HLA-B*2705-restricted CD8+ T-cells. J Virol 2010, 84(20), 10543-57.
- Kawashima Y, Pfafferott K, Frater J, Matthews P, Payne R, Addo M, Gatanaga H, Fujiwara M, Hachiya A, Koizumi H, Kuse N, Oka S, Duda A, Prendergast A, Crawford H, Leslie A, Brumme Z, Brumme C, Allen T, Brander C, Maslow R, Tang J, Hunter E, Allen S, Mulenga J, Branch S, Roach T, John M, Mallal S, Ogpu A, Shapiro R, Prado JG, Fidler S, Weber J, Pybus OG, Klenerman P, Ndung'u T, Phillips R, Heckerman D, Harrigan PR, Walker BD, Takiguchi M, Goulder P. Adaptation of HIV-1 to human leukocyte antigen class I. Nature 2009, 458(7238), 641-5.
- Matthews PC, Leslie AJ, Katzourakis A, Crawford H, Payne R, Prendergast A, Power K, Kelleher AD, Klenerman P, Carlson J, Heckerman D, Ndung'u T, Walker BD, Allen TM, Pybus OG, Goulder PJ. HLA footprints on human immunodeficiency virus type 1 are associated with interclade polymorphisms and intraclade phylogenetic clustering. J Virol 2009, 83(9), 4605-15.
- Payne RP, Matthews PC, Prado JG, Goulder PJ. HLA-mediated control of HIV and HIV adaptation to HLA. Adv Parasitol 2009, 68, 1-20.
- Matthews PC, Prendergast A, Leslie A, Crawford H, Payne R, Rousseau C, Rolland M, Honeyborne I, Carlson J, Kadie C, Brander C, Bishop K, Mlotshwa N, Mullins JI, Coovadia H, Ndung'u T, Walker BD, Heckerman D, Goulder PJ. Central role of reverting mutations in HLA associations with human immunodeficiency virus set point. J Virol 2008, 82(17), 8548-59.