Dr Florence Burte
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 01912418818
- Address: Wellcome Trust Centre for Mitochondrial Research,
Institute of Genetic Research,
International Centre for Life,
Newcastle upon Tyne
During my PhD at Nottingham Trent University, I studied the effects of mitochondrial dysfunction on the organelle’s proteome. I have a particular interest in the interactions between mitochondria and the rest of the cell and how mitochondrial dysfunction leads to cellular deleterious consequences. I also have expertise in biomarker discovery in various diseases developed during my time both at Nottignham Trent University and NIMR, London
I am currently working as a research associate on a project led by Dr Patrick Yu-Wai-Man at the Wellcome Trust Centre for Mitochondrial Research. My main focus here is to investigate the mechanisms of retinal ganglion cell loss in patients with mitochondrial optic neuropathies.
Mitochondrial optic neuropathies affect at least 1 in 10,000 individuals. It is characterised by chronic visual impairment mainly caused by degeneration of ganglion retinal cells. Some patients will only develop eye problems, whilst others, sometimes in the same family, will develop extraocular symptoms also affecting the brain, skeletal muscle and peripheral nerves.
The aim of my project is to establish models of optic nerve degeneration in these groups of mitochondrial disorders. These models will allow me to investigate the selective susceptibility of the retinal ganglion cells to mitochondrial disease and to understand why some patients develop extraocular symptoms, whilst others do not.
- Rouzier C, Moore D, Delorme C, Lacas-Gervais S, Ait-El-Mkadem S, Fragaki K, Burté F, Serre V, Bannwarth S, Chaussenot A, Catala M, Yu-Wai-Man P, Paquis-Flucklinger V. A novel CISD2 mutation associated with a classical Wolfram syndrome phenotype alters Ca2+ homeostasis and ER-mitochondria interactions. Human Molecular Genetics 2017, 26(9), 1599-1611.
- Rouzier C, Moore D, Delorme C, Lacas-Gervais S, Ait-El-Mkadem S, Fragaki K, Burte F, Serre V, Bannwarth S, Chaussenot A, Catala M, Yu-Wai-Man P, Paquis-Flucklinger V. Corrigendum: A novel CISD2 mutation associated with a classical wolfram syndrome phenotype alters Ca21 homeostasis and ER-mitochondria interactions. [Human Molecular Genetics (2017)], doi: 10.1093/hmg/ddx060. Human Molecular Genetics 2017, 26(9), 1786-1786.
- Yu-Wai-Man P, Soiferman D, Moore DG, Burte F, Saada A. Evaluating the therapeutic potential of idebenone and related quinone analogues in Leber hereditary optic neuropathy. Mitochondrion 2017, 36, 36-42.
- Burte F, Houghton D, Lowes H, Pyle A, Nesbitt S, Yarnall A, Yu-Wai-Man P, Burn DJ, Santibanez-Koref M, Hudson G. Metabolic profiling of Parkinson's disease and mild cognitive impairment. Movement Disorders 2017, 32(6), 927–932.
- Genin EC, Plutino M, Bannwarth S, Villa E, Cisneros-Barroso E, Roy M, Ortega-Vila B, Fragaki K, Lespinasse F, Pinero-Martos E, Auge G, Moore D, Burte F, Lacas-Gervais S, Kageyama Y, Itoh K, Yu-Wai-Man P, Sesaki H, Ricci JE, Vives-Bauza C, Paquis-Flucklinger V. CHCHD10 mutations promote loss of mitochondrial cristae junctions with impaired mitochondrial genome maintenance and inhibition of apoptosis. EMBO Molecular Medicine 2016, 8(1), 58-72.
- Yu-Wai-Man P, Votruba M, Burte F, La Morgia C, Barboni P, Carelli V. A neurodegenerative perspective on mitochondrial optic neuropathies. ACTA NEUROPATHOLOGICA 2016, 132(6), 789-806.
- Spiegel R, Saada A, Flannery PJ, Burté F, Soiferman D, Khayat M, Eisner V, Vladovski E, Taylor RW, Bindoff LA, Shaag A, Mandel H, Schuler-Furman O, Shalev SA, Elpeleg O, Yu-Wai-Man P. Fatal infantile mitochondrial encephalomyopathy, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and optic atrophy associated with a homozygous OPA1 mutation. Journal of Medical Genetics 2016, 53(2), 127-131.
- Bachmann J, Burté F, Pramana S, Conte I, Brown BJ, Orimadegun AE, Ajetunmobi WA, Afolabi NK, Akinkunmi F, Omokhodion S, Akinbami FO, Shokunbi WA, Kampf C, Pawitan Y, Uhlén M, Sodeinde O, Schwenk JM, Wahlgren M, Fernandez-Reyes D, Nilsson P. Affinity Proteomics Reveals Elevated Muscle Proteins in Plasma of Children with Cerebral Malaria. PLoS Pathogens 2014, 10(4), e1004038.
- Burté F, Brown BJ, Orimadegun AE, Ajetunmobi WA, Afolabi NK, Akinkunmi F, Kowobari O, Omokhodion S, Osinusi K, Akinbami FO, Shokunbi WA, Sodeinde O, Fernandez-Reyes D. Circulatory hepcidin is associated with the anti-inflammatory response but not with iron or anemic status in childhood malaria. Blood 2013, 121(15), 3016-3022.
- Burté F, Brown BJ, Orimadegun AE, Ajetunmobi WA, Battaglia F, Ely BK, Afolabi NK, Athanasakis D, Akinkunmi F, Kowobari O, Omokhodion S, Osinusi K, Akinbami FO, Shokunbi WA, Sodeinde O, Fernandez-Reyes D. Severe childhood malaria syndromes defined by plasma proteome profiles. PLoS ONE 2012, 7(12), e49778.
- Burté F, De Girolamo LA, Hargreaves AJ, Billett EE. Alterations in the mitochondrial proteome of neuroblastoma cells in response to complex I inhibition. Journal of Proteome Research 2011, 10(4), 1974-1986.