Dr Guy MacGowan
Hon Clin Reader in Heart Failure
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 223 1546
- Address: Department of Cardiology
Newcastle upon Tyne
Consultant Cardiologist with major interest in heart failure, Freeman Hospital since July 2004.
Honorary Clinical Readership in Heart Failure, Newcastle University
Roles and Responsibilities
NHS Consultant with responsibility for advanced heart failure supporting heart transplant and ventricular assist device programmes at the Freeman Hospital
MB BCh (2.2 Hons): Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, 1986
MD (NUI) 1998
Fellow Royal College of Physicians of Ireland
Fellow American College of Cardiology
Specialist Register in Cardiology 2004
1997-2004 Assistant Professor of Medicine, Section of Heart Failure and Transplantation Cardiology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
Training at: University of Pittsburgh and Johns Hopkins University USA, and Beaumont Hospital, Dublin
Honours and Awards
Mentored Clinical Scientist Development Award, US National Institutes of Health, 1999-2004
British Heart Foundation Clinical Leave Research Fellowship 2012-15
Heart Failure: Our research is in the broadest sense related to heart failure, though more specifically related to the physiological and molecular mechanisms of left ventricular dysfunction.
Heart Failure and Ageing: Heart failure has many forms though overall it is very much a disease of the elderly. Why some elderly subjects suffer from heart failure is not clear. We are conducting research with state of the art magnetic resonance imaging to determine how the heart changes with normal ageing, and how conditions such as hypertension might predispose to heart failure in later life. Ultimately we aim to develop interventions that prevent heart failure developing. Using these same imaging methods we have been helping colleagues from different disciplines to assess left ventricular function in a variety of systemic disorders that are not necessarily thought of as cardiac conditions - such as primary biliary cirrhosis, chronic fatigue syndrome, diabetes, muscular dystrophy, fatty liver disease, and mitochondrial diseases.
Left Ventricular Assist Devices: Advanced heart failure is a situation when regular or standard therapies fail to work. At the Freeman Hospital over the last decade we have developed an internationally recognised programme using left ventricular assist devices to treat advanced heart failure patients, and we are very active in researching the most effective way of using these devices. For instance we are using ventricular assist devices in selected patients with cardiomyopathy to recover their heart function so that patients no longer require the pump. With collaborators at the Institute of Genetic Medicine we are looking to see if the properties of stem cells in the heart of these recovery patients are responsible for the improvements we see.
Cardiomyopathy: Some forms of cardiomyopathy are genetic in origin such as the cardiomyopathies associated with muscular dystrophy. We are conducting research to determine mechanisms of the cardiomyopathy (with magnetic resonance imaging) and studying novel pharmacological and molecular therapies to treat or prevent development of the cardiomyopathy.
Funding: British Heart Foundation, Heart Research UK, Newcastle Biomedical Research Centre, US National Institutes of Health, American Heart Association.
- MacGowan GA, Parikh JD, Hollingsworth KG. Diffusion Tensor Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Heart: Looking Into the Layers of the Myocardium. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2017, 69, 677-678.
- Dobarro D, Urban M, Booth K, Wrightson N, Castrodeza J, Jungschleger J, Robinson-Smith N, Woods A, Parry G, Schueler S, MacGowan GA. Impact of aortic valve closure on adverse events and outcomes with the HeartWare ventricular assist device. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 2017, 36(1), 42-49.
- Jakovljevic DG, Yacoub MH, Schueler S, MacGowan AG, Velicki L, Seferovic PM, Hothi S, Tzeng BT, Brodie DA, Birks EJ, Tan LB. Left Ventricular Assist Device as a Bridge to Recovery for Patients With Advanced Heart Failure. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2017, 69(15), 1924-1933.
- Parikh JD, Hollingsworth KG, Wallace D, Blamire AM, MacGowan GA. Left ventricular functional, structural and energetic effects of normal aging: Comparison with hypertension. Plos One 2017, 12(5), e0177404.
- MacGowan GA, Wrightson N, Robinson-Smith N, Woods A, Parry G, Gould K, Schueler S. Myocardial Recovery Strategy with Decommissioning for the HeartWare Left Ventricular Assist Device. ASAIO Journal 2017, 63(3), 299-304.
- Njemanze H, Warren C, Eggett C, MacGowan GA, Bates MGD, Siervo M, Ivkovic S, Trenell MI, Jakovljevic DG. Age-related decline in cardiac autonomic function is not attenuated with increased physical activity. Oncotarget 2016, 7(47), 76390-76397.
- Peng E, Kirk R, Wrightson N, Duong P, Ferguson L, Griselli M, Butt T, O'Sullivan JJ, MacGowan GA, Crossland D, Schueler S, Hasan A. An Extended Role of Continuous Flow Device in Pediatric Mechanical Circulatory Support. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2016, 102(2), 620-627.
- Bhagra S, Bhagra C, Ozalp F, Butt T, Ramesh BC, Parry G, Roysam C, Woods A, Robinson-Smith N, Wrightson N, MacGowan GA, Schueler S. Development of de novo aortic valve incompetence in patients with the continuous-flow HeartWare ventricular assist device. The Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 2016, 35(3), 312-319.
- Parikh JD, Hollingsworth KG, Kunadian V, Blamire AM, MacGowan GA. Measurement of pulse wave velocity in normal ageing: comparison of Vicorder and magnetic resonance phase contrast imaging. BMC Cardiovascular Disorders 2016, 16, 50.
- Parikh J, Hollingsworth KG, Wallace D, Blamire AM, MacGowan GA. Normal age-related changes in left ventricular function: Role of afterload and subendocardial dysfunction. International Journal of Cardiology 2016, 223, 306-312.
- Bhagra CJ, Bhagra SK, Donado A, Butt T, Forrest L, MacGowan GA, Parry G. Pregnancy in cardiac transplant recipients. Clinical Transplantation 2016, 30(9), 1059-1065.
- Newton JL, Finkelmeyer A, Petrides G, Frith J, Hodgson T, Maclachlan L, MacGowan G, Blamire AM. Reduced cardiac volumes in chronic fatigue syndrome associate with plasma volume but not length of disease: a cohort study. Open Heart 2016, 3(1), e000381.
- Perkins RE, Hollingsworth KG, Eggett C, MacGowan GA, Bates MG, Trenell MI, Jakovljevic DG. Relationship between bioreactance and magnetic resonance imaging stroke volumes. British Journal of Anaesthesia 2016, 117(1), 134-136.
- MacGowan GA. The Challenge of Radiation-Induced Restrictive Cardiomyopathy and Outcomes After Heart Transplantation. Journal of Cardiac Failure 2016, 22(6), 479-480.
- Houghton D, Jones TW, Cassidy S, Siervo M, MacGowan GA, Trenell MI, Jakovljevic DG. The effect of age on the relationship between cardiac and vascular function. Mechanisms of Ageing and Development 2016, 153, 1-6.
- Blain A, Greally E, Laval SH, Blamire AM, MacGowan GA, Straub VW. Absence of Cardiac Benefit with Early Combination ACE Inhibitor and Beta Blocker Treatment in mdx Mice. Journal of Cardiovascular Translational Research 2015, 8(3), 198-207.
- Blain AM, Greally E, Laval SH, Blamire AM, MacGowan GA, Straub VW. Assessment of ventricular function in mouse models of muscular dystrophy: A comparison of MRI with conductance catheter. Neuromuscular Disorders 2015, 25(1), 24-31.
- Jones T, Houghton D, Cassidy S, MacGowan GA, Trenell MI, Jakovljevic DG. Bioreactance is a reliable method for estimating cardiac output at rest and during exercise. British Journal of Anaesthesia 2015, 115(3), 386-391.
- Cassidy S, Hallsworth K, Thoma C, MacGowan GA, Hollingsworth KG, Day CP, Taylor R, Jakovljevic DG, Trenell MI. Cardiac structure and function are altered in type 2 diabetes and Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and associate with glycemic control. Cardiovascular Diabetology 2015, 14, 23.
- MacGowan GA, Crossland DS, Hasan A, Schueler S. Considerations for patients awaiting heart transplantation-Insights from the UK experience. Journal of Thoracic Disease 2015, 7(3), 527-531.
- Jakovljevic DG, Papakonstantinou L, Blamire AM, MacGowan GA, Taylor R, Hollingsworth KG, Trenell MI. Effect of Physical Activity on Age-Related Changes in Cardiac Function and Performance in Women. Circulation: Cardiovascular Imaging 2015, 8, e002086.
- Fazal IA, Bhagra SK, Bailey KM, Neely RD, MacGowan GA, Skinner JS. Impact of using different guideline recommended serum natriuretic peptide thresholds on the diagnosis and referral rates of a diagnostic heart failure clinic. International Journal of Clinical Practice 2015, 69(11), 1349-1356.
- Veerasamy M, Ford GA, Neely D, Bagnall A, Macgowan G, Das R, Kunadian V. Association of Aging, Arterial Stiffness and Cardiovascular Disease: A Review. Cardiology in Review 2014, 22(5), 223-232.
- Jakovljevic DG, Trenell MI, MacGowan GA. Bioimpedance and bioreactance methods for monitoring cardiac output. Best Practice & Research: Clinical Anaesthesiology 2014, 28(4), 381-394.
- Peng E, O'Sullivan JJ, Griselli M, Roysam C, Crossland D, Chaudhari M, Wrightson N, Butt T, Parry G, MacGowan GA, Schueler S, Hasan A. Durable Ventricular Assist Device Support for Failing Systemic Morphologic Right Ventricle: Early Results. Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2014, 98(6), 2122-2129.
- Jakovljevic DG, McDiarmid A, Hallsworth K, Seferovic PM, Ninkovic VM, Parry G, Schueler S, Trenell MI, MacGowan GA. Effect of Left Ventricular Assist Device Implantation and Heart Transplantation on Habitual Physical Activity and Quality of Life. American Journal of Cardiology 2014, 114(1), 88-93.
- Ozalp F, Bhagra S, Bhagra C, Butt T, Ramesh B, Robinson-Smith N, Wrightson N, Parry G, Griselli M, Hasan A, Schueler S, MacGowan GA. Four-year outcomes with third-generation centrifugal left ventricular assist devices in an era of restricted transplantation. European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery 2014, 46(3), e35-e40.
- Stehlik J, Stevenson LW, Edwards LB, Crespo-Leiro MG, Delgado JF, Dorent R, Frigerio M, Macdonald P, MacGowan GA, Costa AN, Rogers JG, Shah AS, Taylor R, Venkateswaran RV, Mehra MR. Organ Allocation Around the World: Insights From the ISHLT International Registry for Heart and Lung Transplantation. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 2014, 33(10), 975-984.
- Collerton J, Kingston A, Yousaf F, Davies K, Kenny A, Neely D, Martin-Ruiz C, MacGowan G, Robinson L, Kirkwood TBL, Keavney B. Utility of NT-proBNP as a rule-out test for left ventricular dysfunction in very old people with limiting dyspnoea: the Newcastle 85+Study. BMC Cardiovascular Disorders 2014, 14, 128.
- Blain A, Greally E, Laval S, Blamire A, Straub V, MacGowan GA. Beta-Blockers, Left and Right Ventricular Function, and In-Vivo Calcium Influx in Muscular Dystrophy Cardiomyopathy. PLoS One 2013, 8(2), e57260.
- Hallsworth K, Hollingsworth KG, Thoma C, Jakovljevic DG, MacGowan GA, Anstee QM, Taylor R, Day CP, Trenell MI. Cardiac structure and function are altered in adults with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Journal of Hepatology 2013, 58(4), 757-762.
- Bates MG, Hollingsworth KG, Newman J, Jakovljevic DG, Blamire AM, MacGowan GA, Keavney BD, Chinnery PF, Turnbull DM, Taylor RW, Trenell MI, Gorman GS. Concentric hypertrophic remodeling and subendocardial dysfunction in mitochondrial DNA point mutation carriers. European Heart Journal - Cardiovascular Imaging 2013, 14(7), 650-658.
- Bates MG, Newman JH, Jakovljevic DG, Hollingsworth KG, Alston CL, Zalewski P, Klawe JJ, Blamire AM, Macgowan GA, Keavney BD, Bourke JP, Schaefer A, McFarland R, Newton JL, Turnbull DM, Taylor RW, Trenell MI, Gorman GS. Defining cardiac adaptations and safety of endurance training in patients with m.3243A>g-related mitochondrial disease. International Journal of Cardiology 2013, 168(4), 3599-3608.
- McDiarmid A, Gordon B, Wrightson N, Robinson-Smith N, Pillay T, Parry G, Schueler S, MacGowan GA. Hemodynamic, Echocardiographic, and Exercise-Related Effects of the HeartWare Left Ventricular Assist Device in Advanced Heart Failure. Congestive Heart Failure 2013, 19(1), 11-15.
- Greally E, Davison BJ, Blain A, Laval S, Blamire A, Straub V, MacGowan GA. Heterogeneous abnormalities of in-vivo left ventricular calcium influx and function in mouse models of muscular dystrophy cardiomyopathy. Journal of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance 2013, 15, 4.
- Patangi SO, George A, Pauli H, O'Leary D, Roysam C, Butt T, Schueler S, Prabhu M, MacGowan G. Management issues during HeartWare left ventricular assist device implantation and the role of transesophageal echocardiography. Annals of Cardiac Anaesthesia 2013, 16(4), 259-267.
- Hollingsworth KG, Willis TA, Bates MG, Dixon BJ, Lochmüller H, Bushby K, Bourke J, MacGowan GA, Straub V. Subepicardial dysfunction leads to global left ventricular systolic impairment in patients with limb girdle muscular dystrophy 2I. European Journal of Heart Failure 2013, 15(9), 986-994.
- Emin A, Rogers CA, Parameshwar J, MacGowan G, Taylor R, Yonan N, Simon A, Tsui S, Schueler S, Banner NR. Trends in long-term mechanical circulatory support for advanced heart failure in the UK. European Journal of Heart Failure 2013, 15(10), 1185-1193.
- MacGowan GA, Parry G, Hasan A, Schueler S. Ventricular assist devices for advanced heart failure: evidence that cannot be ignored. European Journal of Cardio-Thoracic Surgery 2013, 43(6), 1242-1243.
- Blain A, Greally E, Laval S, Blamire A, MacGowan G, Straub V. Animal Models of Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy, with Special Reference to the mdx Mouse. Biocybernetics and Biomedical Engineering 2012, 32(4), 3-15.
- Hollingsworth KG, Macgowan GA, Morris L, Bates MG, Taylor R, Jones DE, Newton JL, Blamire AM. Cardiac torsion-strain relationships in fatigued primary biliary cirrhosis patients show accelerated aging: a pilot cross-sectional study. Journal of Applied Physiology 2012, 112(12), 2043-2048.
- Hollingsworth KG, Gorman GS, Trenell MI, McFarland R, Taylor RW, Turnbull DM, Macgowan GA, Blamire AM, Chinnery PF. Cardiomyopathy is common in patients with the mitochondrial DNA m.3243A>G mutation and correlates with mutation load. Neuromuscular Disorders 2012, 22(7), 592-596.
- Hollingsworth KG, Hodgson T, MacGowan GA, Blamire AM, Newton JL. Impaired cardiac function in chronic fatigue syndrome measured using magnetic resonance cardiac tagging. Journal of Internal Medicine 2012, 271(3), 264-270.
- Hollingsworth KG, Blamire AM, Keavney BD, MacGowan GA. Left ventricular torsion, energetics, and diastolic function in normal human aging. American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology 2012, 302(4), H885-H892.
- MacGowan GA, Schueler S. Right heart failure after left ventricular assist device implantation: early and late. Current Opinion in Cardiology 2012, 27(3), 296-300.
- Jørgensen LH, Blain A, Greally E, Laval SH, Blamire AM, Davison BJ, Brinkmeier H, Macgowan GA, Schrøder HD, Bushby K, Straub V, Lochmüller H. Long-Term Blocking of Calcium Channels in mdx Mice Results in Differential Effects on Heart and Skeletal Muscle. American Journal of Pathology 2011, 178(1), 273-283.
- Macgowan GA, Parry G, Schueler S, Hasan A. The decline in heart transplantation in the UK. British Medical Journal 2011, 342, d2483.
- Bauer R, Blain A, Greally E, Lochmuller H, Bushby K, MacGowan GA, Straub V. Attenuation of adverse cardiac effects in prednisolone-treated delta-sarcoglycan-deficient mice by mineralocorticoid-receptor-antagonism. Neuromuscular Disorders 2010, 20(1), 21-28.
- Langley P, MacGowan GA, Murray A. Circadian variation of human ventricular fibrillation dominant frequency. Resuscitation 2010, 81(8), 950-955.
- MacGowan GA, Neely D, Peaston R, Wrightson N, Parry G. Evaluation of NT-proBNP to predict outcomes in advanced heart failure. International Journal of Clinical Practice 2010, 64(7), 892-899.
- Jones DEJ, Hollingsworth K, Fattakhova G, MacGowan G, Taylor R, Blamire A, Newton JL. Impaired cardiovascular function in primary biliary cirrhosis. American Journal of Physiology: Gastrointestinal and Liver Physiology 2010, 298(5), G764-G773.
- Bauer R, Blain A, Greally E, Bushby K, Lochmuller H, Laval S, Straub V, MacGowan GA. Intolerance to beta-blockade in a mouse model of delta-sarcoglycan-deficient muscular dystrophy cardiomyopathy. European Journal of Heart Failure 2010, 12(11), 1163-1170.
- Botha P, MacGowan GA, Dark JH. Sildenafil Citrate Augments Myocardial Protection in Heart Transplantation. Transplantation 2010, 89(2), 169-177.
- Botha P, Parry G, Dark JH, MacGowan GA. Acute hemodynamic effects of intravenous sildenafil citrate in congestive heart failure: comparison of phosphodiesterase type-3 and -5 inhibition. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 2009, 28, 676-82.
- Bauer R, Straub V, Blain A, Bushby K, MacGowan GA. Contrasting effects of steroids and angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitors in a mouse model of dystrophin-deficient cardiomyopathy. European Journal of Heart Failure 2009, 11(5), 463-471.
- MacGowan GA. Good news for mice with heart attacks: preventing acute myocardial injury by inhibiting apoptosis. Cardiovascular Research 2009, 81, 1-2.
- Kirk JA, MacGowan GA, Evans C, Smith SH, Warren CM, Mamidi R, Chandra M, Stewart AF, Solaro RJ, Shroff SG. Left ventricular and myocardial function in mice expressing constitutively pseudophosphorylated cardiac troponin I. Circulation Research 2009, 105, 1232-9.
- Langley P, MacGowan GA, Murray A. Spatial and temporal organization of the dominant frequencies in the fibrillating heart: body surface potential mapping in a rare case of sustained human ventricular fibrillation. Europace 2009, 11(3), 324-327.
- Bauer R, MacGowan GA, Blain A, Bushby K, Straub V. Steroid treatment causes deterioration of myocardial function in the δ-sarcoglycan-deficient mouse model for dilated cardiomyopathy. Cardiovascular Research 2008, 79(4), 652-661.
- MacGowan GA, Pohwani A, Murali S. Dynamic analysis of exercise oxygen consumption predicts outcomes in advanced heart failure. Congestive Heart Failure 2007, 13(6), 313-318.
- Botha P, Parry G, Dark JH, MacGowan GA. Intravenous sildenafil citrate for selective pulmonary vasodilatation in heart failure. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 2007, 26(2), S133-S134.
- MacGowan GA, Kirk JA, Evans C, Shroff SG. Pressure-calcium relationships in perfused mouse hearts. American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology 2006, 290(6), H2614-H2624.
- MacGowan GA, Rager J, Shroff SG, Mathier MA. In vivo α-adrenergic responses and troponin I phosphorylation: Anesthesia interactions. Journal of Applied Physiology 2005, 98(4), 1163-1170.
- MacGowan GA. The myofilament force-calcium relationship as a target for positive inotropic therapy in congestive heart failure. Cardiovascular Drugs and Therapy 2005, 19(3), 203-210.
- MacGowan GA. What is the in vivo mechanism of action of levosimendan? . Journal of Cardiac Failure 2005, 11(6), 482.
- Du C, Pan Y, MacGowan GA, Koretsky AP. Decreasing motion artifacts in calcium-dependent fluorescence transients from the perfused mouse heart using frequency filtering. Cell Calcium 2004, 35(2), 141-153.
- McNamara DM, Holubkov R, Postava L, Janosko K, MacGowan GA, Mathier M, Murali S, Feldman AM, London B. Pharmacogenetic interactions between angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitor therapy and the angiotensin-converting enzyme deletion polymorphism in patients with congestive heart failure. Journal of the American College of Cardiology 2004, 44(10), 2019-2026.
- MacGowan GA, Evans C, Hu TCC, Debrah D, Mullet S, Chen HH, McTiernan CF, Stewart AFR, Koretsky AP, Shroff SG. Troponin I protein kinase C phosphorylation sites and ventricular function. Cardiovascular Research 2004, 63(2), 245-255.
- McNamara DM, Holubkov R, Postava L, Ramani R, Janosko K, Mathier M, MacGowan GA, Murali S, Feldman AM, London B. Effect of the Asp298 variant of endothelial nitric oxide synthase on survival for patients with congestive heart failure. Circulation 2003, 107(2), 1598-1602.
- Pohwani AL, Murali S, Mathier MM, Tokarczyk T, Kormos RL, McNamara DM, MacGowan GA. Impact of beta-blocker therapy on functional capacity criteria for heart transplant listing. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 2003, 22(1), 78-86.
- Du C, MacGowan GA, Farkas DL, Koretsky AP. Calcium measurements in perfused mouse heart: quantitating fluorescence and absorbance of Rhod-2 by application of photon migration theory. Biophysical Journal 2001, 80(1), 549-561.
- Du C, MacGowan GA, Farkas DL, Koretsky AP. Calibration of the calcium dissociation constant of Rhod(2)in the perfused mouse heart using manganese quenching. Cell Calcium 2001, 29(4), 217-227.
- MacGowan GA, Du C, Wieczorek DF, Koretsky AP. Compensatory changes in Ca(2+) and myocardial O(2) consumption in beta-tropomyosin transgenic hearts. American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology 2001, 281(6), 2539-2548.
- MacGowan GA, Panzak G, Murali S. Exercise-related ventilatory abnormalities are more specific for functional impairment in chronic heart failure than reduction in peak exercise oxygen consumption. Journal of Heart and Lung Transplantation 2001, 20(11), 1167-1173.
- MacGowan GA, Du C, Koretsky AP. High calcium and dobutamine positive inotropy in the perfused mouse heart: myofilament calcium responsiveness, energetic economy, and effects of protein kinase C inhibition. BMC Physiology 2001, 1, 12.
- MacGowan GA, Du C, Cowan DB, Stamm C, McGowan FX, Solaro RJ, Koretsky AP, Del Nido PJ. Ischemic dysfunction in transgenic mice expressing troponin I lacking protein kinase C phosphorylation sites. American Journal of Physiology: Heart and Circulatory Physiology 2001, 280(2), 835-843.
- Hu TC, Pautler RG, MacGowan GA, Koretsky AP. Manganese-enhanced MRI of mouse heart during changes in inotropy. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 2001, 46(5), 884-890.
- McNamara DM, Holubkov R, Janosko K, Palmer A, Wang JJ, MacGowan GA, Murali S, Rosenblum WD, London B, Feldman AM. Pharmacogenetic Interactions Between β-Blocker Therapy and the Angiotensin-Converting Enzyme Deletion Polymorphism in Patients With Congestive Heart Failure. Circulation 2001, 103(12), 1644-1648.
- MacGowan GA, Du C, Glonty V, Suhan JP, Koretsky AP, Farkas DL. Rhod-2 based measurements of intracellular calcium in the perfused mouse heart: cellular and subcellular localization and response to positive inotropy. Journal of Biomedical Optics 2001, 6(1), 23.
- MacGowan GA, Koretsky AP. Inotropic and energetic effects of altering the force-calcium relationship: mechanisms, experimental results, and potential molecular targets. Journal of Cardiac Failure 2000, 6(2), 144-156.
- MacGowan GA, Haber HL, Cowart TD, Tedesco C, Wu C, Feldman MD. Direct myocardial effects of OPC-18790 in human heart failure: beneficial effects on contractile and diastolic function demonstrated by intracoronary infusion with pressure-volume analysis. J Am Coll Cardiol 1998.
- MacGowan GA, Mann DL, Kormos RL, Feldman AM, Murali S. Circulating interleukin-6 in severe heart failure. Am J Cardiol 1997.
- MacGowan GA, Janosko K, Cecchetti A, Murali S. Exercise-related ventilatory abnormalities and survival in congestive heart failure. Am J Cardiol 1997.
- MacGowan GA, Shapiro EP, Azhari H, Siu CO, Hees PS, Hutchins GM, Weiss JL, Rademakers FE. Noninvasive measurement of shortening in the fiber and cross-fiber directions in the normal human left ventricle and in idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. Circulation 1997.
- MacGowan GA, Burkhoff D, Rogers WJ, Salvador D, Azhari H, Hees PS, Zweier JL, Halperin HR, Siu CO, Lima JA, Weiss JL, Shapiro EP. Effects of afterload on regional left ventricular torsion. Cardiovasc Res 1996.