Dr Timothy Cheetham
Reader in Paediatric Endocrinology
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 282 9562
- Address: Institute of Genetic Medicine
c/o Department of Paediatric Endocrinology
Old Children's Out Patients
Royal Victoria Infirmary
Newcastle upon Tyne
Associate Editor Archives of Disease in Childhood
Chair of the British Society for Paediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes
Patient advisor and trustee, British Thyroid Foundation
Chair of the Joint Standing committee for Congenital Hypothyroidism (JSCCHT)
Member of the blood spot advisory group (BSAG)
Investigator and Chair of the steering committee, UK Collaborative study of Congenital Hypothyroidism (UKCS CHT)
Research program and associated publications (recent past) is in 4 key areas:
1. Thyrotoxicosis (Graves' hyperthyroidism)
Lead/CI, National Thyrotoxicosis study (BSPED Clinical Studies Group). A multicentre study of thyrotoxicosis management funded by the BTF and CGF. Recruitment complete, data analysis underway (november 2015)
Adjuvant Rituximab - a potential cure for the young patient with Graves’ hyperthyroidism. Medical Research Council DPFS, lead applicant: 970,000 pounds. To commence 2016.
2. Congenital Hypothyroidism
Local investigations into screening program performance, disease incidence and potential underlying mechanisms.
Investigator and Chair of the steering committee, UK Collaborative study of Congenital Hypothyroidism (UKCS CHT)
Local collaboration looking at disease epidemiology and underlying disease mechanisms.
Local lead for a number of National studies including SCIPI (subcutaneous insulin infusion therapy in children) and AdDIT (randomised trial of statin / ACE inhibitor therapy in type 1 diabetes.
Long term outcome in babies born preterm. This is a collaboration with Dr Nick Embleton (neonatal consultant, Newcastle).
Growth and pubertal delay in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy (DMD). Collaboration with Professor Volker Straub.
Medical Students (first, fourth and final year)
Ph D / MD students (currently 2)
Postgraduate student progression panels
Faculty, ESPE summer school 2014
- McEleny K, Cheetham T, Quinton R. Should we be offering fertility preservation by surgical sperm retrieval to men with Klinefelter syndrome?. Clinical Endocrinology 2017, 86(4), 463-466.
- Quinton R, Mamoojee Y, Jayasena CN, Young J, Howard S, Dunkel L, Cheetham T, Smith N, Dwyer AA. Society for Endocrinology UK guidance on the evaluation of suspected disorders of sexual development: emphasizing the opportunity to predict adolescent pubertal failure through a neonatal diagnosis of absent minipuberty. Clinical Endocrinology 2017, 86(2), 305-306.
- Wood CL, Cheetham T. Treatment of Duchenne muscular dystrophy: First small steps. The Lancet 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Cheetham T, Lane LC. Who needs thyroid function testing at birth?. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2017, 102(3), 212-215.
- Crossland KL, Abinun M, Arkwright PD, Cheetham TD, Pearce SH, Hilkens CMU, Lilic D. AIRE is not essential for the induction of human tolerogenic dendritic cells. Autoimmunity 2016, 49(4), 211-218.
- Wood CL, Bettolo CM, Bushby K, Straub V, Rawlings D, Sarkozy A, Owen C, Cheetham TD. Bisphosphonate use in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy - why, when to start and when to stop?. Expert Opinion on Orphan Drugs 2016, 4(4), 407-416.
- Embleton ND, Korada M, Wood CL, Pearce MS, Swamy R, Cheetham TD. Catch-up growth and metabolic outcomes in adolescents born preterm. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2016, 101(11), 1026-1031.
- Srinivasan R, Rawlings D, Wood CL, Cheetham T, Moreno ACJ, Mayhew A, Eagle M, Guglieri M, Straub V, Owen C, Bushby K, Sarkozy A. Prophylactic oral bisphosphonate therapy in duchenne muscular dystrophy. Muscle & Nerve 2016, 54(1), 79-85.
- Muirhead CR, Cheetham TD, McNally RJQ. Re: Ambient air pollution and early manifestation of type 1 diabetes. Epidemiology 2016, 27(1), e1-e2.
- Reynolds B, Schenk D, Kambalimath M, Jackson M, Cheetham T. Renal and Adrenal Ultrasonography: a valuable diagnostic tool in the salt-wasting infant. Acta Paediatrica 2016, 105(2), e85-e88.
- Wood CL, Straub V, Guglieri M, Bushby K, Cheetham T. Short stature and pubertal delay in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2016, 101(1), 101-106.
- Wood CL, Cheetham TD. Vitamin D: increasing supplement use among at-risk groups (NICE guideline PH56). Archives of Disease in Childhood - Education and Practice edition 2016, 101(1), 43-45.
- Van Ruiten HJA, Marini Bettolo C, Cheetham T, Eagle M, Lochmuller H, Straub V, Bushby K, Guglieri M. Why are some patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy dying young: An analysis of causes of death in North East England. European Journal of Paediatric Neurology 2016, 20(6), 904-909.
- Lane L, Prudon S, Cheetham T, Powell S. Acute neonatal respiratory distress caused by a lingual thyroid: the role of nasendoscopy and medical treatment. Journal of Laryngology & Otology 2015, 129(4), 403-405.
- Reynolds BC, Cheetham TD. Bones, stones, moans and groans: hypercalcaemia revisited. Archives of Disease in Childhood. Education & Practice Edition 2015, 100(1), 44-51.
- Lane LC, Cheetham T. Congenital hypothyroidism - what's new?. Paediatrics and Child Health 2015, 25(7), 302-307.
- Cheetham T, Plumb E, Callaghan J, Jackson M, Michaelis L. Dietary restriction causing iodine-deficient goitre. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2015, 100(8), 784-786.
- Cheetham T, Bliss R. Hyperparathyroidism and the general paediatrician. Arch Dis Child 2015, 100(10), 904-5. In Preparation.
- West JD, Cheetham TD, Dane C, Natarajan A. Should radioiodine be the first-line treatment for paediatric Graves' disease?. Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism 2015, 28(7-8), 797-804.
- Wood CL, Cheetham TD, Guglieri M, Bushby K, Owen C, Johnstone H, Straub V. Testosterone Treatment of Pubertal Delay in Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. Neuropediatrics 2015, 46(6), 371-376.
- Webster M, Foster E, Comber R, Bowen S, Cheetham T, Balaam M. Understanding the lived experience of adolescents with type 1 diabetes: opportunities for design. In: Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Interaction Design and Children (IDC '15). 2015, Boston, MA, USA: ACM.
- Beckers A, Lodish MB, Trivellin G, Rostomyan L, Lee M, Faucz FR, Yuan B, Choong CS, Caberg JH, Verrua E, Naves LA, Cheetham TD, Young J, Lysy PA, Petrossians P, Cotterill A, Shah NS, Metzger D, Castermans E, Ambrosio MR, Villa C, Strebkova N, Mazerkina N, Gaillard S, Barra GB, Casulari LA, Neggers SJ, Salvatori R, Jaffrain-Rea ML, Zacharin M, Santamaria B, Zacharieva S, Lim EM, Mantovani G, Zatelli MC, Collins MT, Bonneville JF, Quezado M, Chittiboina P, Oldfield EH, Bours V, Liu P, deHerder W, Pellegata N, Lupski JR, Daly AF, Stratakis CA. X-linked acrogigantism syndrome: clinical profile and therapeutic responses. Endocrine Related Cancer 2015, 22(3), 353-367.
- Abinun M, Hodges S, Cheetham T, Ognjanovic M, Hopper N, Burt A, Wood K, Lilic D. Immunomodulatory Therapy for Severe Autoimmune Polyendocrinopathy Type-1 (APS-1). In: 16th Biennial Meeting of the European Society for Immunodeficiences (ESID 2014). 2014, Prague, Czech Republic: Springer.
- Cheetham T, Davies JH. Investigation and management of short stature. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2014, 99(8), 767-771.
- Davies JH, Cheetham T. Investigation and Management of Tall Stature. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2014, 99(8), 772-777.
- Tinnion R, Gillone J, Cheetham T, Embleton N. Preterm birth and subsequent insulin sensitivity: a systematic review. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2014, 99(4), 362-368.
- Sarkozy A, Srinivasan R, Rawlings D, Guglieri M, Owen C, Straub V, Cheetham T, Bushby K. Prophylactic oral bisphosphonate therapy in Duchenne muscular dystrophy: The Newcastle upon Tyne experience. In: 19th International Congress of the World Muscle Society. 2014, Berlin, Germany: Elsevier.
- Crossland KL, Pearce S, Abinun M, Cheetham T, Hilkens CMU, Lilic D. Role of Aire in the Induction of Human Tolerogenic Dendritic Cells. In: European Society for Immunodeficiencies. 2014, Prague, Czech Republic: Springer.
- Blakey K, Johnson G, McNally RJ, Court S, Potts A, Stephenson C, Lamb B, Cheetham TD. Establishing a registry of children and young people with diabetes in north east England and north Cumbria. Practical Diabetes 2013, 30(2), 85-90.
- Williams F, Delahunty C, Cheetham T. Factors Affecting Neonatal Thyroid Function in Preterm Infants. NeoReviews 2013, 14(4), e168-e178.
- Fu Y, Cheetham T, Bourn D, Orwoll E, Cohen DM. Functional polymorphisms affecting the clinically important arginine-137 residue of AVPR2 do not influence serum sodium concentration at the population level. Physiological Genomics 2013, 45(6), 210-216.
- Sinha A, Abinun M, Gennery AR, Barge D, Slatter M, Cheetham T. Graves' Immune Reconstitution Inflammatory Syndrome in Childhood. Thyroid 2013, 23(8), 1010-1014.
- Wood CL, Tinnion RJ, Korada SM, Cheetham TD, Relton CL, Cooke RJ, Pearce MS, Hollingsworth KG, Trenell MI, Embleton ND. Growth and metabolic outcome in adolescents born preterm (GROWMORE): follow-up protocol for the Newcastle preterm birth growth study (PTBGS). BMC Pediatrics 2013, 13, 213.
- Jamil F, McNally RJ, Richardson D, Ball S, Cheetham T. High likelihood of malignancy in young patients presenting with a thyroid nodule in Northern England. Clinical Endocrinology 2013, 79(2), 294-295.
- Muirhead CR, Cheetham TD, Court S, Begon M, McNally RJQ. How do childhood diagnoses of type 1 diabetes cluster in time?. PLoS One 2013, 8(4), e60489.
- Doche ME, Bochukova EG, Su HW, Pearce LR, Keogh JM, Henning E, Cline JM, Saeed S, Dale A, Cheetham T, Barroso I, Argetsinger LS, O'Rahilly S, Rui LY, Carter-Su C, Farooqi IS. Human SH2B1 mutations are associated with maladaptive behaviors and obesity (vol 123, pg 526, 2013). Journal of Clinical Investigation 2013, 123(1), 526-526.
- Sinha A, Hollingsworth K, Ball S, Cheetham T. Impaired quality of life in growth hormone-deficient adults is independent of the altered skeletal muscle oxidative metabolism found in conditions with peripheral fatigue. Clinical Endocrinology 2013, 80(1), 107-114.
- Sinha A, Hollingsworth K, Ball S, Cheetham T. Improving the Vitamin D status of Vitamin D deficient adults is associated with improved mitochondrial oxidative function in skeletal muscle. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2013, 98(3), E509-E513.
- Sinha A, Cheetham TD, Pearce SHS. Prevention and Treatment of Vitamin D Deficiency. Calcified Tissue International 2013, 92(2), 207-215.
- Ibekwe MU, Ibekwe RC, Okolo AA, Cheetham TD. Screening for hypothyroidism in schools for children with learning difficulties in Southeastern Nigeria. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics 2013, 59(4), 330-331.
- Sohal AP, Dasarathi M, Lodh R, Cheetham T, Devlin AM. Speech and language delay in two children: an unusual presentation of hyperthyroidism. Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism 2013, 26(11-12), 1171-1174.
- Srinivasan R, Ball S, Ward-Platt M, Bourn D, McAnulty C, Cheetham T. Utility of genetic testing in suspected familial cranial diabetes insipidus. Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism Case Reports 2013, 10, EDM130068.
- Stefanija MA, Jeanpierre M, Sykiotis GP, Young J, Quinton R, Abreu AP, Plummer L, Au MG, Balasubramanian R, Dwyer AA, Florez JC, Cheetham T, Pearce SH, Purushothaman R, Schinzel A, Pugeat M, Jacobson-Dickman EE, Ten S, Latronico AC, Gusella JF, Dode C, Crowley WF, Pitteloud N. An ancient founder mutation in PROKR2 impairs human reproduction. Human Molecular Genetics 2012, 21(19), 4314-4324.
- Doche ME, Bochukova EG, Su HW, Pearce LR, Keogh JM, Henning E, Cline JM, Dale A, Cheetham T, Barroso I, Argetsinger LS, O'Rahilly S, Rui LY, Carter-Su C, Farooqi IS. Human SH2B1 mutations are associated with maladaptive behaviors and obesity. Journal of Clinical Investigation 2012, 122(12), 4732-4736.
- Turner N, Driver D, Salotti J, Pearce MS, Cheetham T. Increasing use of radioiodine in young people with thyrotoxicosis in Great Britain. European Journal of Endocrinology 2012, 167(5), 715-718.
- Srinivasan R, Harigopal S, Turner S, Cheetham T. Permanent and transient congenital hypothyroidism in preterm infants. Acta Paediatrica 2012, 101(4), e179–e182.
- Woodsford P, Cheetham T. Recruiting to clinical trials: hospital or home?. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2012, 97(1), 91.
- Sinha A, Thomas MF, Rushton SP, Cheetham T. The impact of continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion on glycaemic control in children and adolescents: a regional review in North East England using a bio-modelling approach. Diabetic Medicine 2012, 29(10), 1342-1343.
- Gault EJ, Perry RJ, Cole TJ, Casey S, Paterson WF, Hindmarsh PC, Betts P, Dunger DB, Donaldson MD, British Society for Paediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes. Effect of oxandrolone and timing of pubertal induction on final height in Turner's syndrome: randomised, double blind, placebo controlled trial. BMJ 2011, 342, d1980.
- Blakey K, Johnson G, McNally R, Court S, Cheetham T. From protocol to progress: Establishing a registry of children and young people with diabetes in North East England and North Cumbria. In: Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health: IEA World Congress of Epidemiology. 2011, Edinburgh, UK: BMJ Group.
- Chan YM, Broder-Fingert S, Paraschos S, Lapatto R, Au M, Hughes V, Bianco SD, Min L, Plummer L, Cerrato F, De Guillebon A, Wu IH, Wahab F, Dwyer A, Kirsch S, Quinton R, Cheetham T, Ozata M, Ten S, Chanoine JP, Pitteloud N, Martin KA, Schiffmann R, Van der Kamp HJ, Nader S, Hall JE, Kaiser UB, Seminara SB. GnRH-deficient phenotypes in humans and mice with heterozygous variants in KISS1/Kiss1. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2011, 96(11), E1771-1781.
- Sinha A, Ball S, Jenkins A, Hale J, Cheetham T. Objective assessment of thirst recovery in patients with adipsic diabetes insipidus. Pituitary 2011, 14(4), 307-311.
- Pearce MS, McNally RJQ, Day J, Korada SM, Turner S, Cheetham TD. Space-time clustering of elevated thyroid stimulating hormone levels. European Journal of Epidemiology 2011, 26(5), 405-411.
- Bhopal S, Mann KD, Embleton N, Korada M, Cheetham TD, Pearce MS. The Influence of Early Growth on Bone Mineral Density at Age 9-14 Years in Children Born Preterm. In: Journal of Developmental Origins of Health and Disease: 7th World Congress on Developmental Origins of Health and Disease. 2011, Portland, Oregon, USA: Cambridge University Press.
- Sinha A, Avery P, Turner S, Bailey S, Cheetham T. Vitamin D Status in Paediatric Patients With Cancer. Pediatric Blood & Cancer 2011, 57(4), 594-598.
- Igreja S, Chahal HS, King P, Bolger GB, Srirangalingam U, Guasti L, Chapple JP, Trivellin G, Gueorguiev M, Guegan K, Stals K, Khoo B, Kumar AV, Ellard S, Grossman AB, Korbonits M, International FIPA Consortium, Akker S, Atkinson B, Aylwin S, Baldeweg S, Bevan J, Cheetham T, Chew S, Choudry K, Clayton R, Damjanovic S, Darzy K, Dattani M, Davis J, Drake W, Dzeranova L, Eden B, Eguchi K, Fica S, Flanagan D, Frohman L, Gadelha M, Gallego P, Gla E, Goldman J, Goldstone T, Howlett T, Inder W, Iwata T, Kaplan F, Karavitaki N, Laws E, Lechan R, Levy M, Matsuno A, Miljic D, Modenesi S, Molitch M, Musat M, Orme S, Patocs A, Popovic V, Powell M, Quinton R, Randeva H, Ribeirode Oliveira JRA, Schofl C, Soares B, Spada A, Strasburger C, Swords F, Tsagarakis S, Vaks V, Wass JA, Widell H, Yarman S, Yoshimoto K. Characterization of aryl hydrocarbon receptor interacting protein (AIP) mutations in familial isolated pituitary adenoma families. Human Mutation 2010, 31(8), 950-960.
- Cheetham T. Congenital hypothyroidism: Managing the hinterland between fact and theory. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2010, 96, 205.
- McNally RJQ, Court S, James PW, Pollock R, Blakey K, Begon M, Cheetham TD. Cyclical Variation in Type 1 Childhood Diabetes. Epidemiology 2010, 21(6), 914-915.
- Pearce SHS, Cheetham TD. Diagnosis and management of vitamin D deficiency. British Medical Journal 2010, 340(7738), 142-147.
- Korada SM, Pearce M, Platt MPW, Avis E, Turner S, Wastell H, Cheetham T. Difficulties in selecting an appropriate neonatal thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH) screening threshold. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2010, 95(3), 169-173.
- Leech NJ, O'Sullivan J, Avery P, Howey C, Burling K, Iyer S, Pascoe L, Walker M, Cheetham T. Increased maternal Homeostasis Model Assessment of Insulin Resistance (HOMA-IR) associated with older age at diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes in offspring. Diabetic Medicine 2010, 27(12), 1450-1453.
- Aminzadeh M, Kim H, Layman L, Cheetham T. Rarer syndromes characterized by hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. Frontiers of Hormone Research 2010, 39, 154-167.
- Aminzadeh M, Kim HG, Layman LC, Cheetham TD. Rarer Syndromes Characterized by Hypogonadotropic Hypogonadism. In: Quinton, R, ed. Kallmann Syndrome and Hypogonadotropic Hypogonadism. Switzerland: S. Karger AG, 2010, pp.154-167.
- Cheetham T. Vitamin D supplementation still in its infancy. Indian Pediatrics 2010, 47, 573-574.
- Sinha A, Ball SG, Johnstone H, Matthews D, Cheetham TD. [Meeting Abstract] The assessment of thirst plasticity in patients with primary and secondary adipsic diabetes insipidus. Hormone Research 2009, 72(s3), 83-84.
- Wolny S, McFarland R, Chinnery P, Cheetham T. Abnormal growth in mitochondrial disease. Acta Paediatrica 2009, 98(3), 553-554.
- Owen CJ, Cheetham TD. Diagnosis and Management of Polyendocrinopathy Syndromes. Endocrinology & Metabolism Clinics of North America 2009, 38(2), 419-436.
- Owen CJ, Habeb A, Pearce SH, Wright M, Ichikawa S, Sorenson AH, Econs MJ, Cheetham TD. Discordance for X-Linked Hypophosphataemic Rickets in Identical Twin Girls. Hormone Research 2009, 71(4), 237-244.
- Cheetham T, Ball S. Disorders of water metabolism. In: Sarafoglou, K, ed. Paediatric Endocrinology and inborn errors of metabolism. New York: McGraw Hill, 2009, pp.679-692.
- Alatzoglou KS, Turton JP, Kelberman D, Clayton PE, Mehta A, Buchanan C, Aylwin S, Crowne EC, Christesen HT, Hertel NT, Trainer PJ, Savage MO, Raza J, Banerjee K, Sinha SK, Ten S, Mushtaq T, Brauner R, Cheetham TD, Hindmarsh PC, Mullis PE, Dattani MT. Expanding the Spectrum of Mutations in GH1 and GHRHR: Genetic Screening in a Large Cohort of Patients with Congenital Isolated Growth Hormone Deficiency. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2009, 94(9), 3191-3199.
- Trehan A, Cheetham T, Bailey S. Hypercalcemia in Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia: An Overview. Pediatric Hematology & Oncology 2009, 31(6), 424-427.
- Sarkozy A, Cheetham T, Pearce S, Rawlings D, Eagle M, Vita GL, Guglieri M, Straub V, Bushby K. Oral bisphosphonates as prophylaxis of steroid-induced osteoporosis in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Neuromuscular Disorders 2009, 19(8-9), 642-642.
- Gupta A, Cheetham T, Jaffray C, Ullman D, Gibb I, Spencer DA. Repeatability of the low-dose ACTH test in asthmatic children on inhaled corticosteroids. Acta Paediatrica 2009, 98(12), 1945-1949.
- Abdullah N, Drummond P, Davies N, Al-Khalidi O, Barry R, Cheetham T. Short stature: Increased in children with severe learning disability. Child: Care, Health and Development 2009, 35, 266-70.
- McNally RJQ, Pollock R, Court S, Begon M, Cheetham TD. Space-time clustering analyses of type 1 diabetes in children from north-east England: support for an infectious aetiology?. In: Environment Health: Joint Environment and Human Health Programme/Annual Science Day Conference and Workshop. 2009, Birmingham, UK: BioMed Central Ltd.
- Gupta S, Cheetham TD, Lambert HJ, Roberts C, Bourn D, Coulthard MG, Ball SG. Thirst perception and arginine vasopressin production in a kindred with an activating mutation of the type 2 vasopressin receptor: the pathophysiology of nephrogenic syndrome of inappropriate antidiuresis. European Journal of Endocrinology 2009, 161(3), 503-508.
- Korada SM, Pearce MS, Avis E, Turner S, Cheetham TD. TSH Levels in Relation to Gestation, Birth Weight and Sex. Hormone Research 2009, 72(2), 120-123.
- Barber JCK, Maloney VK, Huang S, Bunyan DJ, Cresswell L, Kinning E, Benson A, Cheetham T, Wyllie J, Lynch SA, Zwolinski S, Prescott L, Crow Y, Morgan R, Hobson E. 8p23.1 duplication syndrome; a novel genomic condition with unexpected complexity revealed by array CGH. European Journal of Human Genetics 2008, 16(1), 18-27.
- Korada SM, Pearce M, Avis E, Turner S, Wastell H, Kibirige M, Day J, Cheetham T. Lessons from a screening programme for congenital hypothyroidism: Rising incidence, an inverse relationship between birth-weight and TSH and the importance of threshold selection. Frontiers of Hormone Research 2008, 70(Supplement 1), 166.
- Abdullah N, Al-Khalidi O, Brown KJ, Reid J, Cheetham TD. Prolonged honeymoon phase in an adolescent with diabetes and thyrotoxicosis provides support for the accelerator hypothesis. PEDIATRIC DIABETES 2008, 9(4), 417-419.
- Korada SM, Pearce MS, Ward Platt MP, Avis E, Turner S, Wastell HJ, Cheetham TD. Repeat testing for congenital hypothyroidism in preterm infants: unnecessary with an appropriate TSH threshold. Archives of Diseases in Childhood: Fetal and Neonatal Edition 2008, 93(4), F286-F288.
- Johnstone HC, McNally RJQ, Cheetham TD. The impact of fasting and treatment omission on susceptibility to hypoglycaemia in children and adolescents with GH and cortisol insufficiency. Clinical Endocrinology 2008, 69(3), 436-442.
- Korada M, Kibirige M, Turner S, Day J, Johnstone H, Cheetham T. The implementation of revised guidelines and the performance of a screening programme for Congenital Hypothyroidism. Journal of Medical Screening 2008, 15(1), 5-8.
- O'Sullivan J, Iyer S, Taylor N, Cheetham T. Congenital adrenal hyperplasia due to 21-hydroxylase deficiency is associated with a prolonged gestational age. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2007, 92(8), 690-692.
- Sutherland A, Davies JM, Owen CJ, Vaikkakara S, Walker C, Cheetham TD, James RA, Perros P, Donaldson PT, Cordell HJ, Quinton R, Pearce SHS. Genomic polymorphism at the interferon-induced helicase (IFIH1) locus contributes to Graves' disease susceptibility. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 2007, 92(8), 3338-3341.
- James RJA, James A, Drewett RF, Cheetham TD. Milk intake and feeding behavior in the first week of life and its relationship to cord blood ghrelin, leptin, and insulin concentrations. Pediatric Research 2007, 62(6), 695-699.
- Adamson K, Cheetham T, Kendall-Taylor P, Seckl J, Pearce S. The role of the IDDM2 locus in the susceptibility of UK APS1 subjects to type 1 diabetes mellitus. International Journal of Immunogenetics 2007, 34(1), 17-21.
- Lee YS, Challis BG, Thompson DA, Yeo GSH, Keogh JM, Madonna ME, Wraight V, Sims M, Vatin V, Meyre D, Shield J, Burren C, Ibrahim Z, Cheetham T, Swift P, Blackwood A, Hung CCC, Wareham NJ, Froguel P, Millhauser GL, O'Rahilly S, Farooqi IS. A POMC variant implicates beta-melanocyte-stimulating hormone in the control of human energy balance. Cell Metabolism 2006, 3(2), 135-140.
- Sultan A, Velaga MR, Fleet M, Cheetham T. Cullen's sign and massive ovarian enlargement secondary to primary hypothyroidism in a patient with a normal FSH receptor. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2006, 91(6), 509-510.
- Owen CJ, Eden JA, Jennings CE, Wilson V, Cheetham TD, Pearce SHS. Genetic association studies of the FOXP3 gene in Graves' disease and autoimmune Addison's disease in the United Kingdom population. Journal of Molecular Endocrinology 2006, 37(1), 97-104.
- Dharmaraj P, Ball S, Johnstone H, Bailey S, Clifford SC, Hale J, Cheetham T. Hypercalcaemia in relapsed medulloblastoma 8 years post-diagnosis; evidence to support PTHrP production by medulloblastoma cells. Hormone Research 2006, 66(6), 268-272.
- Cheetham TD. Endocrine disorders. In: Rennie, J, ed. Roberton’s Textbook of Neonatology. Edinburgh, UK: Churchill Livingstone, 2005, pp.chapter 35.2.
- Velaga MR, Wright C, Crofton PM, Allen L, Jennings CE, Cheetham TD. Macroorchidism in two unrelated prepubertal boys with a normal FSH receptor. Hormone Research 2005, 64(1), 3-8.
- Owen CJ, Cheetham TD, Pearce SHS. Polyglandular syndromes. In: Brook, C.G.D., Clayton, P., Brown, R, ed. Brook's Clinical Pediatric Endocrinology. Oxford, UK: Blackwell, 2005, pp.352-366.
- Abdullah N, Khawaja K, Hale J, Barrett AM, Cheetham TD. Primary hyperaldosteronism with normokalaemia secondary to an adrenal adenoma (Conn's syndrome) in a 12 year-old boy. Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology & Metabolism 2005, 18(2), 215-219.
- Brown K, Rodgers J, Johnstone H, Adams W, Clarke M, Gibson M, Cheetham T. Abnormal cognitive function in treated congenital hypopituitarism. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2004, 89(9), 827-830.
- Quinton R, Cheetham T. Aromatase inhibition in an adolescent male with gynaecomastia: Hyperactivation of the reproductive axis without compromise of final height. In: 12th International Congress of Endocrinology. 2004, Lisbon, Portugal: ICE Publishing.
- Carroll PV, Drake WM, Maher KT, Metcalfe K, Shaw NJ, Dunger DB, Cheetham TD, Camacho-Hubner C, Savage MO, Monson JP. Comparison of continuation or cessation of growth hormone (GH) therapy on body composition and metabolic status in adolescents with severe GH deficiency at completion of linear growth. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2004, 89(8), 3890-3895.
- Johnstone HC, Cheetham TD. GH and cortisol response to glucagon administration in short children. Hormone Research 2004, 62(1), 27-32.
- Khawaja K, Houlsby WT, Watson S, Bushby K, Cheetham T. Hypercalcaemia in infancy; A presenting feature of spinal muscular atrophy. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2004, 89(4), 384-385.
- Birrell G, Cheetham T. Juvenile thyrotoxicosis; can we do better?. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2004, 89(8), 745-750.
- James RJA, Drewett RF, Cheetham TD. Low cord ghrelin levels in term infants are associated with slow weight gain over the first 3 months of life. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2004, 89(8), 3847-3850.
- Waller S, Kurzawinski T, Spitz L, Thakker R, Cranston T, Pearce S, Cheetham T, van't Hoff WG. Neonatal severe hyperparathyroidism: genotype/phenotype correlation and the use of pamidronate as rescue therapy. European Journal of Pediatrics 2004, 163(10), 589-594.
- Slatter MA, Gennery AR, Cheetham TD, Bhattacharya TD, Crooks BNA, Flood TJ, Cant AJ, Abinun M. Thyroid dysfunction after bone marrow transplantation for primary immunodeficiency without the use of total body irradiation in conditioning. Bone Marrow Transplantation 2004, 33(9), 949-953.
- Barber TM, Cheetham T, Ball SG. X-linked hypopituitarism: clinical and biochemical features of a rare cause of short stature. In: Endocrine Abstracts: 23rd Joint Meeting of the British Endocrine Societies. 2004, Brighton, UK: BioScientifica Ltd.
- Drewett RF, James RJA, Cheetham TD. [abstract] Cord blood leptin and ghrelin, milk intake and weight gain in infants over the first week of life. Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology 2003, 21(3), 242.
- Allen LA, Achermann JC, Pakarinen P, Kotlar TJ, Huhtaniemi IT, Jameson JL, Cheetham TD, Ball SG. A novel loss of function mutation in exon 10 of the FSH receptor gene causing hypergonadotrophic hypogonadism: Clinical and molecular characteristics. Human Reproduction 2003, 18(2), 251-256.
- Birrell G, Lampe A, Richmond S, Bruce SN, Gecz J, Lower K, Wright M, Cheetham TD. Borjeson-Forssman-Lehmann syndrome and multiple pituitary hormone deficiency. Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism 2003, 16(9), 1295-1300.
- Farooqi IS, Keogh JM, Yeo GSH, Lank EJ, Cheetham T, O'Rahilly S. Clinical Spectrum of Obesity and Mutations in the Melanocortin 4 Receptor Gene. New England Journal of Medicine 2003, 348(12), 1085-1095.
- Owen CJ, Jennings CE, Imrie H, Lachaux A, Bridges NA, Cheetham TD, Pearce SHS. Mutational analysis of the FOXP3 gene and evidence for genetic heterogeneity in the immunodysregulation, polyendocrinopathy, enteropathy syndrome. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2003, 88(12), 6034-6039.
- Rahman MAS, Birrell G, Stewart H, Lucraft H, Cheetham TD. Successful radioiodine treatment in a 3 year old child with Graves' disease following antithyroid medication induced neutropenia. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2003, 88(2), 158-159.
- Drake WM, Carroll PV, Maher KT, Metcalfe KA, Camacho-Hubner C, Shaw NJ, Dunger DB, Cheetham TD, Savage MO, Monson JP. The Effect of Cessation of Growth Hormone (GH) Therapy on Bone Mineral Accretion in GH-Deficient Adolescents at the Completion of Linear Growth. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 2003, 88(4), 1658-1663.
- Drake WM, Carroll PV, Maher KT, Metcalfe KA, Camacho-Hubner C, Shaw NJ, Dunger DB, Cheetham TD, Savage MO, Monson JP. The effect of cessation of growth hormone (GH) therapy on bone mineral accretion in GH-deficient adolescents at the completion of linear growth - Response. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2003, 88(9), 4506-4507.
- Singh J, Pearce S, Moghal N, Cheetham TD. The investigation of hypocalcaemia and rickets. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2003, 88, 403-407.
- Cheetham TD, Bayliss PB. Diabetes insipidus in children. Pathophysiology diagnosis and management. Pediatric Drugs 2002, 4(12), 785-796.
- Smith D, Stringer MD, Wyatt J, O'Meara M, Davison S, Cheetham TD, McClean P. Orthotopic liver transplantation or acute liver failure secondary to autoimmune hepatitis in a child with autoimmune polyglandular syndrome type 1. Pediatric Transplantation 2002, 6(2), 166-170.
- Pearce SHS, Cheetham TD. Autoimmune polyendocrinopathy syndrome type 1: Treat with kid gloves. Clinical Endocrinology 2001, 54(4), 433-435.
- Deeb A, Robertson A, MacColl G, Bouloux PMG, Gibson M, Winyard PJD, Woolf AS, Moghal NE, Cheetham TD. Multicystic dysplastic kidney and Kallmann's syndrome: a new association?. Nephrology, Dialysis, Transplantation 2001, 16(6), 1170-1175.
- Deeb A, Robertson A, MacColl G, Bouloux P, Winyard PJD, Woolf AS, Moghal NE, Cheetham TD. Multicystic dysplastic kidney and X linked Kallmann syndrome. Nephrology, Dialysis, Transplantation 2001, 16(6), 1170-1175.
- Deeb A, Shenton BK, Redfern CPF, Cheetham TD, Ball SG. The effects of growth hormone releasing hormone and its receptor on somatotroph proliferation and cell cycle kinetics in vitro. In: 20th Joint Meeting of the British Endocrine Societies. 2001, Belfast, UK.
- Glass S, Cheetham TD. The investigation of polyuria and polydipsia. Current Paediatrics 2001, 11(5), 352-356.
- Crowne EC, Samra JS, Cheetham T, Acerini CL, Watts A, Holly JMP, Dunger DB. The role of IGF-binding proteins in mediating the effects of recombinant human IGF-I on insulin requirements in type 1 diabetes mellitus. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 2001, 86(8), 3686-3691.
- Acerini CL, Cheetham TD, Edge JA, Dunger DB. Both insulin sensitivity and insulin clearance in children and young adults with Type I (insulin-dependent) diabetes vary with growth hormone concentrations and with age. Diabetologia 2000, 43(1), 61-68.
- Farooqi IS, Yeo GSH, Keogh JM, Aminian S, Jebb SA, Butler G, Cheetham T, O'Rahilly S. Dominant and recessive inheritance of morbid obesity associated with melanocortin 4 receptor deficiency. Journal of Clinical Investigation 2000, 106(2), 271-279.
- Deeb AA, Bruce SN, Morris AAM, Cheetham TD. Infantile hypophosphatasia: disappointing results of treatment. Acta Paediatrica 2000, 89(6), 730-733.
- Adamson K, Kendall-Taylor P, Cheetham TD, Pearce SHS. Spectrum of mutations in the AIRE1 gene in UK APS1 (APECED) kindreds. In: JOURNAL OF MEDICAL GENETICS. 2000.
- Barnes ND, Cheetham TD. Endocrine disorders. Textbook of Neonatology 1999, 957-985.
- Allen L, Cheetham T, Ball S. Novel mutation in DAX-1 in a kindred with congenital adrenal hypoplasia and hypogonadotropic hypogonadism. In: 18th Joint Meeting of the British Endocrine Societies. 1999, Bournemouth, UK.
- Wright CM, Cheetham TD. The strengths and limitations of parental heights as a predictor of attained height. Archives of Disease in Childhood 1999, 81(3), 257-260.
- Wright CM, Cheetham TD. The use of parental height to estimate target height allowing for regression to the mean. Archives of disease in childhood 1999, 81(3), 257-260.
- Pearce SHS, Cheetham T, Imrie H, Vaidya B, Barnes ND, Bilous RD, Carr D, Shaw NJ, Smith CS, Toft AD, Weetman AP, Williams G, Strachan T, Kendall-Taylor P. A common and recurrent 13 base-pair deletion in the autoimmune regulator (AIRE-1) gene in British autoimmune polyendocrinopathy type 1 (APECED) kindreds. American Journal of Human Genetics 1998, 63, 1675-1684.
- Pearce SHS, Cheetham TD, Imrie H, Vaidya BJ, Barnes ND, Bilous RW, Carr D, Meeran K, Shaw NJ, Smith CS, Toft AD, Williams G, Kendall-Taylor P. A common and recurrent 13-bp deletion in the autoimmune regulator gene in British kindreds with autoimmune polyendocrinopathy type 1. American Journal of Human Genetics 1998, 63(6), 1675-1684.
- Baylis PH, Cheetham TD. Diabetes insipidus. Archives of disease in childhood 1998, 79, 84-89.
- Angelica M, Acerini CL, Cheetham TD, Lightman SL, Dunger DB. Hypertonic saline test for the investigation of posterior pituitary function. Archives of disease in childhood 1998, 79, 431-434.
- T. D. Cheetham, P. Wraight, I. A. Hughes and N. D. Barnes. Radioiodine treatment of Graves' disease in young people. Hormone Research 1998, 49, 258-262.
- Cheetham TD, Wraight EP, Hughes IA, Barnes ND. Radioiodine treatment of Graves' disease in young people. Hormone Research 1998, 49, 255-259.
- Crowne EC, Samra JS, Cheetham T, Watts A, Holly JMP, Dunger DB. Recombinant human insulin-like growth factor-I abolishes changes in insulin requirements consequent upon growth hormone pulsatility in young adults with type I diabetes mellitus. Metabolism 1998, 47, 31-38.
- Crowne E.C., Samra J.S., Cheetham T., Watts A., Holly J.M.P., Dunger D.B. Recombinant human insulin-like growth factor-I abolishes changes in insulin requirements consequent upon growth hormone pulsatility in young adults with Type I diabetes mellitus. Metabolism 1998, 47, 31-38.
- Cheetham T.D., Holly J.M.P., Baxter R., Hintz R., Jones J., Taylor A.M., Dunger D.B. The effects of recombinant human IGF-I administration on concentrations of acid labile subunit, IGF binding protein-3, IGF-I, IGF-II and proteolysis of IGF binding protein-3 in adolescents with insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. Journal of Endocrinology 1998, 157, 81-87.
- Cheetham TD, Holly JMP, Baxter R, Hintz R, Jones J, Taylor AM, Dunger DB. The effects of recombinant human IGF-I administration on concentrations of acid labile subunit, IGF binding protein-3, IGF-I, IGF-II and proteolysis of IGF binding protein-3 in adolescents with insulin dependent diabetes mellitus. Journal of Endocrinology 1998, 157, 81-87.
- Cheetham TD, Wraight EP, Hughes IA, Barnes ND. Treatment of hyperthyroidism in young people. Archives of disease in childhood 1998, 207-209.
- T. D. Cheetham, I. A. Hughes, N. D. Barnes and E. P. Wraight. Treatment of hyperthyroidism in young people. Archives of Disease in Childhood 1998, 78, 207-209.
- Cheetham T.D., Connors M., Clayton K., Watts A., Dunger D.B. Insulin sensitivity before and after recombinant human insulin-like growth factor I (rhIGF-I) administration in adolescents with IDDM: Importance of GH concentrations. Clinical Endocrinology 1997, 46, 415-424.