I graduated in medicine from Newcastle University in 1974, and my early postgraduate training in obstetrics & gynaecology was in the north-east of England. After a period of research in urogynaecology at St George's Hospital Medical School, London, I was appointed to the University initially as First Assistant in 1981, and became Senior Lecturer (honorary consultant) in Obstetrics and Gynaecology in 1983. In order to further my main clinical and research interest in urogynaecology, I moved to an NHS post as Consultant Gynaecologist and Urogynaecologist (with honorary Senior Lecturer status) in 1991. I now lead a tertiary level urogynaecology service of national and international reputation. Particular clinical interests include urodynamic investigation, conservative and surgical management of primary and recurrent pelvic floor dysfunction, and reconstructive surgery for congenital abnormalities of the genital tract; I provide a de facto supra-regional service for management of urogenital fistula which currently handles 20% of the UK workload.
MB, BS (Newcastle upon Tyne) 1974
MD (Newcastle upon Tyne) 1981
MRCOG 1979; FRCOG 1996
Clinical Research Fellow, Urodynamic Unit, St George’s Hospital Medical School, London, 1979-1981.
First Assistant (honorary Senior Registrar) in Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Newcastle University, 1981-1983.
Senior Lecturer (honorary Consultant) in Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Newcastle University, 1983-1991.
- International Continence Society.
- Blair-Bell Research Society.
- International Urogynecologists Association.
- North of England Obstetrical and Gynaecological Society.
- Society for Urodynamics and Female Urology (elected member).
- UK Continence Society.
- British Association of Urological Surgeons.
- Northern Deanery Urogynaecology Interest Group.
- European Association of Urologists.
- European Society for Female Urology.
- British Society of Urogynaecologists.
- BAUS – Section for Female and Reconstructive Urology (founder member).
- Society of Gynecologic Surgeons (honorary member).
- European Urogynaecology Association.
- International Consultation on Incontinence - Research Society.
- Society for Clinical Trials.
Honours and Awards
- William Blair-Bell Memorial Lectureship, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists; 1983.
- Green Armytage and Spackman Travelling Scholarship, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists; 1989.
- Visiting Professor, University of Auckland, New Zealand; 1991.
- Historical Lecturer, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists; 1992.
- Florence and William Blair-Bell Memorial Fellowship, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists and WellBeing Research Advisory Committee; 1993.
- Charter Day Lecturer and Visiting Professor, National Maternity Hospital, Dublin; 1999.
- Honorary membership, Society of Gynecologic Surgeons; 2002.
- Victor Bonney Prize Lectureship, Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists; 2005.
- Sims Black Travelling Professorship to visit Nakuru, Eldoret, Nairobi & Mombasa, Kenya; 2011.