Dr Alison Wheatley
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5147
- Personal Website: http://twitter.com/AlisonLWheatley
- Address: Institute of Health & Society,
Newcastle Biomedical Research Building,
Campus for Ageing and Vitality,
Newcastle Upon Tyne,
I am a social researcher with a background in medical sociology and a particular interest in health technologies. My current role at IHS is as a qualitative researcher on the project 'Developing an intervention for fall-related injuries in dementia' (DIFRID), and my previous work has mainly been in the area of sperm donation and assisted reproduction.
PhD Science and Technology Studies, The University of Edinburgh, 2016
MA Social Research (with Distinction), The University of Warwick, 2011
BA (hons) Sociology with a Specialism in Research Methods, The University of Warwick, 2010
Research Assistant, The University of Edinburgh
Project: 'Animal, Mechanical, and Me: the Search for Replaceable Hearts'
James Jackson PhD Studentship awarded by the Innogen Institute (formerly ESRC Innogen Centre), 2011
University-wide Finalist and College of Humanities and Social Science Winner and People's Choice, Edinburgh University Three Minute Thesis competition, 2014
The overall aim of this study is to assess through a series of work packages whether it is possible to design a complex intervention to improve the outcome of fall-related injuries in people with dementia living in their own homes.
My role is as a research assistant involved in organising and conducting the qualitative components of this study, including interviews with current service providers, and observation of both existing interventions and the intervention that will be developed as part of this trial.
- Bamford C, Wheatley A, Shaw S, Allan L. Equipping staff with the skills to maximise recovery of people with dementia after an injurious fall. Aging and Mental Health 2018. Submitted.
- Wheatley A. Danish sperm donors and the ethics of donation and selection. Medicine, Health Care and Philosophy 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Wheatley A. 'We're not related in any way, only by blood': Danish sperm donors and (imagined) relationships. Families, Relationships and Societies 2017, (ePub ahead of print).