Emeritus Professor Allan Colver
Emeritus Professor Community Child Health
- Email: email@example.com
Professor Colver studied Psychology at Magdalene College, Cambridge and then Medicine at St Bartholomew's Hospital, London.
He was appointed Consultant Paediatrician with Special Interest in Community Child Health in Northumberland in 1986, occupying then only the second such post in the UK. From then to the mid 1990s he led the development of training programmes in community child health. For four years he was Medical Director of a National Health Service Community Trust. From 1997, he occupied research positions at Newcastle University and was appointed in 2007 to the Donald Court Chair of Community Child. He retired in 2017.
His earlier research included studies of child accident prevention, health surveillance of preschool children and screening. From 1999-2004 he was a member of the National Screening Committee, Child Health. In 2001 he completed a study on food allergy facilitated by the British Paediatric Surveillance Unit; and from 2005-09 was chair of its Executive Committee. Professor Colver co-founded the North of England Collaborative Cerebral Palsy Survey and established a database of children with Autism Spectrum Disorder.
Professor Colver’s current research is directed to:
1 Transition of young people with long term health conditions from child to adult health services. He coordinates a five-year Research programme http://research.ncl.ac.uk/transition/ funded by the National Institute for Health Research.
2 Feasibility of trials of Use of Standing Frames and Therapy for Eating and Swallowing Difficulties in children and young people with neurodisability - funded by the National Institute for Health Research.
3 Participation and Quality of Life of children and young people with cerebral palsy. . He coordinated a study (SPARCLE) across Europe of children with cerebral palsy www.ncl.ac.uk/sparcle/ funded by the European Commission and the Wellcome Trust.
4 A trial of medication for drooling in children with neurodisability funded by: The Children's Foundation, The Castang Foundation, WellChild, and The British Academy of Childhood Disability (Polani Fund).
- Merrick H, McConachie H, LeCouteur A, Mann K, Parr JR, Pearce MS, Colver A. Characteristics of young people with long term conditions close to transfer to adult health services. BMC Health Services Research 2015, 15, 435.
- Hislop J, Mason H, Parr JR, Vale L, Colver A. Views of Young People With Chronic Conditions on Transition From Pediatric to Adult Health Services. Journal of Adolescent Health 2016, 59(3), 345-353.
- Colver A, Longwell S. New understanding of adolescent brain development: relevance to transitional healthcare for young people with long term conditions. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2013, 98, 902-907.
- Kolehmainen N, McCafferty S, Maniatopoulos G, Le-Couteur A, Vale L, Colver A. What constitutes successful commissioning of transition from children’s to adults’ services for young people with long-term conditions and what are the challenges? An interview study. BMJ Paediatrics Open 2017, 1, e000085.
- Colver A, Rapp M, Eisemann N, Ehlinger V, Thyen U, Dickinson HO, Parkes J, Parkinson K, Nystrand M, Fauconnier J, Marcelli M, Michelsen SI, Arnaud C. Self-reported quality of life of adolescents with cerebral palsy: a cross-sectional and longitudinal analysis. Lancet 2015, 385(9969), 705-716.
- Dickinson HO, Parkinson KN, Ravens-Sieberer U, Schirripa G, Thyen U, Arnaud C, Beckung E, Fauconnier J, McManus V, Michelsen SI, Parkes J, Colver AF. Self-reported quality of life of 8-12-year-old children with cerebral palsy: a cross-sectional European study. Lancet 2007, 369(9580), 2171-2178.
- Fauconnier J, Dickinson HO, Beckung E, Marcelli M, McManus V, Michelsen SI, Parkes J, Parkinson KN, Thyen U, Arnaud C, Colver A. Participation in life situations of 8-12 year old children with cerebral palsy: cross sectional European study. British Medical Journal 2009, 338, b1458.
- Parkinson KN, Dickinson HO, Arnaud C, Lyons A, Colver A. Pain in young people aged 13-17 years with cerebral palsy: cross-sectional, multicentre European study. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2013, 98(6), 434-440.
- Parkinson KN, Gibson L, Dickinson HO, Colver AF. Pain in children with cerebral palsy: a cross-sectional multicentre European study. Acta Paediatrica 2010, 99(3), 446-451.
- Colver A, Fairhurst C, Pharoah PO. Cerebral palsy. Lancet 2013, 383(9924), 1240-1249.
- Dang VM, Colver A, Dickinson HO, Marcelli M, Michelsen SI, Parkes J, Parkinson K, Rapp M, Arnaud C, Nystrand M, Fauconnier J. Predictors of participation of adolescents with cerebral palsy: A European multi-centre longitudinal study. Research in Developmental Disabilities 2015, 36, 551-564.
- Arnaud C, White-Koning M, Michelsen SI, Parkes J, Parkinson K, Thyen U, Beckung E, Dickinson HO, Fauconnier J, Marcelli M, McManus V, Colver AF. Parent-reported quality of life of children with cerebral palsy in Europe. Pediatrics 2008, 121(1), 54-64.
- Parkes J, White-Koning M, Dickinson HO, Thyen U, Arnaud C, Beckung E, Fauconnier J, Marcelli M, McManus V, Michelsen SI, Parkinson KN, Colver AF. Psychological problems in children with cerebral palsy: A cross-sectional European study. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 2008, 49(4), 405-413.
- Parkes J, Caravale B, Marcelli M, Franco F, Colver A. Parenting stress and children with cerebral palsy: a European cross-sectional survey. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 2011, 53(9), 815-821.
- Macdougall CF, Cant AJ, Colver AF. How dangerous is food allergy in childhood? The incidence of severe and fatal allergic reactions across the UK and Ireland. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2002, 86(4), 236-239.
- Reading R, Colver AF, Openshaw S, Jarvis S. Do interventions that improve immunisation uptake also reduce social inequalities in uptake?. British Medical Journal 1994, 308, 1142-4.
- McConachie H, Colver AF, Forsyth RJ, Jarvis SN, Parkinson KN. Participation of disabled children: How should it be characterised and measured?. Disability and Rehabilitation 2006, 28(18), 1157-1164.
- Colver A. A shared framework and language for childhood disability. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 2005, 47(11), 780-784.
- Colver AF. Health surveillance of pre-school children - 4 years experience. British Medical Journal 1990, 300, 1246-48.
- Colver AF, Hutchinson PJ, Judson EC. Promoting children's home safety. British Medical Journal 1982, 285(6349), 1177-1180.
- Colver AF. Immunisation and general practice. Lancet 1989, i, 906.
- Tuffrey C, Bateman BJ, Colver A. The Questionnaire of Young People's Participation (QYPP): a new measure of participation frequency for disabled young people. Child: Care, Health and Development 2013, 39(4), 500-511.
- COLVER AF, DANSKIN MJ, PARKIN JM, ROGERS FS, WALKER JH. TRAINING-PROGRAM FOR SENIOR REGISTRARS IN COMMUNITY PEDIATRICS. ARCHIVES OF DISEASE IN CHILDHOOD 1988, 63(1), 63-65.
- Glinianaia SV, Rankin J, Colver A. Cerebral palsy rates by birth weight, gestation and severity in North of England, 1991-2000 singleton births. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2011, 96(2), 180-185.
- Hutton JL, Colver AF. Life expectancy in cerebral palsy - Reply. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2001, 85(5), 442-442.
- Graham HK, Rosenbaum P, Paneth N, Dan B, Lin JP, Damiano DL, Becher JG, Gaebler-Spira D, Colver A, Reddihough D, Crompton KE, Lieber RL. Cerebral palsy. Nature Reviews Disease Primers 2016, 2, 15082.
- Solanke F, Colver A, McConachie H. Are the health needs of young people with cerebral palsy met during transition from child to adult healthcare?. Child: Care, Health and Development 2017. In Press.
- Parr JR, Todhunter E, Pennington L, Stocken D, Cadwgan J, O'Hare AE, Tuffrey C, Williams J, Cole M, Colver AF. Drooling Reduction Intervention randomised trial (DRI): comparing the efficacy and acceptability of hyoscine patches and glycopyrronium liquid on drooling in children with neurodisability. Archives of of Disease in Childhood 2017.
- Maniatopoulos G, Le-Couteur A, Vale L, Colver A. Falling through the gaps: Exploring the role of integrated commissioning in improving transition from children’s to adults' services for young people with long-term health conditions in England. Journal of Health Services Research & Policy 2017. In Press.
- Espín-Tello SM, Colver A, SPARCLE Group. How available to European children and young people with cerebral palsy are features of their environment that they need?. Research in Developmental Disabilities 2017, 71, 1-10.
- Goodwin J, Lecouturier J, Crombie S, Smith J, Basu A, Colver A, Kolehmainen N, Parr JR, Howel D, McColl E, Roberts A, Miller K, Cadwgan J. Understanding Frames: A qualitative study of young people’s experiences of using standing frames as part of postural management for cerebral palsy. Child Care, Health and Development 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Goodwin J, Colver A, Basu A, Crombie S, Howel D, Parr JR, McColl E, Kolehmainen N, Roberts A, Lecouturier J, Smith J, Miller K, Cadwgan J. Understanding Frames: A UK survey of parents and professionals regarding the use of standing frames for children with cerebral palsy. Child: Care, Health & Development 2017, (ePub ahead of print).