- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0191 208 7381/7245
- Address: Institute of Health and Society
Baddiley Clark Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am a statistician by background and have been at Newcastle University since 1992. I have considerable experience of the design and analysis of clinical trials and epidemiological studies.
Roles and Responsibilities
* Lead statistical advisor to Research Design Service (North East)
* Deputy Head of Excellence in Teaching and Learning for IHS
BSc Mathematics & Statistics University of London 1976
MSc Statistics University of London 1977
Chartered Statistician 2000
Lecturer in Medical Statistics, Leeds University 1985-1992
Research Associate, Newcastle University 1982-1985
Temporary Lecturer, University of Wales 1980-1981
Statistician , Unilever Research 1977-1979
Current Research Projects as Co-Investigator
EMPOWER: Randomised trial of emesis in pregnancy - Ondansetron with Metoclopramide
SEED: Supporting excellence in end of life care in dementia : feasibility study
DO-WELL : Randomised controlled trial, economic and qualitative process evaluation of domiciliary welfare right advice
EXTRAS : a trial to evaluate an extended rehabilitation service for stroke patients
RATULS: a trial to evaluate robot assisted training and physiotherapy for upper limb deficiency after stroke
RITPBC : a trial of Rituximab as a treatment for fatigue in Primary Biliary Cirrhosis
MultICath: Development and clinical trial of a mixed catheter management package for users of intermittent catherterisation
VIOLET: Visually impaired older people's exercise programme for falls prevention: a feasibility study
Understanding Frames : Survey to assess feasibility of trial of standing frame use for postural management
PRE-OP BIRDS : Pre-operative behavioural intervention for risky drinkers before elective orthopaedic surgery: feasibility study
SOLID: Supporting looked after children in decreasing drugs, alcohol and smoking: feasibility study
DIFRID : Developing an intervention for falls-related injuries in dementia
RiGD: Single arm trial of adjuvant Rituximab in young patients with Graves hyperthyroydism
National Institute for Health Research - Programme Grant for Applied Research- Sub-panel member 2016-2020
National Institute for Health Research- Health Service and Delivery Research - HDR Commissioning Board Member 2012-2015
NIHR Stroke Research Network Acute Clinical Studies Group - Member 2012-2015
National Institute for Health Research- Service Delivery & Organisation - Commissioning Board Member 2009-2011
Dept of Health - Committee on Carcinogenicity of Chemicals in Food, Consumer Products and the Environment 2000-2009
SFY0002 Basic Statistics - module leader & lecturer
MSc Public Health and Health Services Research
HSC8036 Health Statistics - module leader & lecturer
HSC8029 Introduction to Quantitative Research Methods - lecturer
- Rodgers H, Shaw L, Bosomworth H, Aird L, Alvarado N, Andole S, Cohen DL, Dawson J, Eyre J, Finch T, Ford GA, Hislop J, Hogg S, Howel D, Hughes N, Krebs HI, Price C, Rochester L, Stamp E, Ternent L, Turner D, Vale L, Warburton E, van Wijck F, Wilkes S. Robot Assisted Training for the Upper Limb after Stroke (RATULS): study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials 2017, 18(1), 340.
- Alderson H, McGovern R, Brown R, Howel D, Becker F, Carr L, Copello A, Fouweather T, Kaner E, McArdle P, McColl E, Shucksmith J, Steele A, Vale L, Lingam R. Supporting Looked After Children and Care Leavers In Decreasing Drugs, and alcohol (SOLID): Protocol for a pilot feasibility randomised controlled trial of interventions to decrease risky substance use (drugs and alcohol) and improve mental health of Looked After Children and Care Leavers aged 12 -20 years. Pilot and Feasibility Studies 2017, 3, 25.
- Goodwin J, Lecouturier J, Crombie S, Smith J, Basu A, Colver A, Kolehmainen N, Parr JR, Howel D, McColl E, Roberts A, Miller K, Cadwgan J. Understanding Frames: A qualitative study of young people’s experiences of using standing frames as part of postural management for cerebral palsy. Child Care, Health and Development 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Goodwin J, Colver A, Basu A, Crombie S, Howel D, Parr JR, McColl E, Kolehmainen N, Roberts A, Lecouturier J, Smith J, Miller K, Cadwgan J. Understanding Frames: A UK survey of parents and professionals regarding the use of standing frames for children with cerebral palsy. Child: Care, Health & Development 2017, (ePub ahead of print).
- Ball HL, Howel D, Bryant A, Best E, Russell C, Ward-Platt M. Bed sharing by breastfeeding mothers: who bed-shares and what is the relationship with breastfeeding duration?. Acta Paediatrica 2016, 105(6), 628-634.
- Giles EL, Coulton S, Deluca P, Drummond C, Howel D, Kaner E, McColl E, McGovern R, Scott S, Stamp E, Sumnall H, Tate L, Todd L, Vale L, Albani V, Boniface S, Ferguson J, Frankham J, Gilvarry E, Hendrie N, Howe N, McGeechan GJ, Stanley G, Newbury-Birch D. Multicentre individual randomised controlled trial of screening and brief alcohol intervention to prevent risky drinking in young people aged 14-15 in a high school setting (SIPS JR-HIGH): study protocol. BMJ Open 2016, 6(12), e012474.
- Hilton P, Buckley B, McColl E, Howel D, Tincello DG, Brennand C. Understanding variations in patient screening and recruitment in a pilot randomised controlled trial: a vignette-based study. Trials 2016, 17, 522.
- Skelton DA, Bailey C, Howel D, Cattan M, Deary V, Coe D, de Jong LD, Gawler S, Gray J, Lampitt R, Wilkinson J, Adams N. Visually Impaired OLder people's Exercise programme for falls prevenTion (VIOLET): a feasibility study protocol. BMJ Open 2016, 6(8), e011996.
- Hilton P, Armstrong N, Brennand C, Howel D, Shen J, Bryant A, Tincello DG, Lucas MG, Buckley BS, Chapple CR, Homer T, Vale L, McColl E. A mixed methods study to assess the feasibility of a randomized controlled trial of invasive urodynamic testing versus clinical assessment and non-invasive tests prior to surgery for stress urinary incontinence in women: the INVESTIGATE-I study. Trials 2015, 16, 400.
- Rodgers H, Shaw L, Cant R, Drummond A, Ford GA, Forster A, Hills K, Howel D, Laverty A, McKevitt C, McMeekin P, Price C. A trial to Evaluate an eXTended RehAbilitation service for Stroke patients (EXTRAS): study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials 2015, 16, 205.
- Rodgers H, Shaw L, Cant R, Drummond A, Ford GA, Forster A, Hills K, Howel D, Laverty A, McKevitt C, McMeekin P, Price C. Evaluating an extended rehabilitation service for stroke patients (EXTRAS): study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials 2015, 16, 205.
- Hilton P, Armstrong N, Brennand C, Howel D, Shen J, Bryant A, Tincello DG, Lucas MG, Buckley BS, Chapple CR, Homer T, Vale L, McColl E. INVESTIGATE-I (INVasive Evaluation before Surgical Treatment of Incontinence Gives Added Therapeutic Effect?): a mixed methods study to assess the feasibility of a future randomised controlled trial of invasive urodynamic testing prior to surgery for stress urinary incontinence in women. Health Technology Assessment 2015, 19(15).
- Olsen K, Howel D, Barber R, Ford GA, Gallagher P, McAllister-Williams RH, Nilsson J, O'Brien J, Parker J, Thomas A. Lessons from a pilot and feasibility randomised trial in depression (Blood pressure Rapid Intensive Lowering And Normal Treatment for Mood and cognition in persistent depression (BRILiANT mood study)). Pilot and Feasibility Studies 2015, 1(44).
- Newbury-Birch D, Scott S, O'Donnell A, Coulton S, Howel D, McColl E, Stamp E, Graybill E, Gilvarry E, Laing K, McGovern R, Deluca P, Drummond C, Harle C, McArdle P, Tate L, Kaner E. A pilot feasibility cluster randomised controlled trial of screening and brief alcohol intervention to prevent hazardous drinking in young people aged 14-15 in a high school setting (SIPS JR-HIGH) . Public Heath Research 2014, 2(6).
- Wilson GB, Wray C, McGovern R, Newbury-Birch D, McColl E, Crosland A, Speed C, Cassidy P, Tomson D, Haining S, Howel D, Kaner EFS. Intervention to reduce excessive alcohol consumption and improve comorbidity outcomes in hypertensive or depressed primary care patients: two parallel cluster randomized feasibility trials. Trials 2014, 15, 235.
- Shaw L, Price C, McLure S, Howel D, McColl E, Younger P, Ford GA. Paramedic Initiated Lisinopril For Acute Stroke Treatment (PIL-FAST): results from the pilot randomised controlled trial. Emergency Medicine Journal 2014, 31(12), 994-999.
- Ahmed A, Howel D, Debrah S. The influence of age on the outcome of treatment of elderly patients with colorectal cancer. Journal of Geriatric Oncology 2014, 5(2), 133-140.
- Howel D, Stamp E, Chadwick TJ, Adamson AJ, White M. Are social inequalities widening in generalised and abdominal obesity and overweight among English adults?. PLoS One 2013, 8(11), e79027.
- Howel D, Ball H. Association between Length of Exclusive Breastfeeding and Subsequent Breastfeeding Continuation. Journal of Human Lactation 2013, 29(4), 579-585.
- Robinson L, Dickinson C, Rousseau N, Beyer F, Clark A, Hughes J, Howel D, Exley C. A systematic review of the effectiveness of advance care planning interventions for people with cognitive impairment and dementia. Age and Ageing 2012, 41(2), 263-269.
- O'Neil S, Coulton S, Deluca P, Deverill M, Drummond C, Gilvarry E, Graybill E, Harle C, Howel D, Kaner E, McArdle P, McColl E, McGovern R, Speed C, Stamp E, Tate L, Newbury-Birch D. Brief intervention to prevent hazardous drinking in young people aged 14–15 in a high school setting (SIPS JR-HIGH): study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 2012, 13(1), 166.
- Howel D. Interpreting and evaluating the CASP-19 quality of life measure in older people. Age and Ageing 2012, 41(5), 612-617.
- Haighton C, Moffatt S, Howel D, McColl E, Milne E, Deverill M, Rubin G, Aspray T, White M. The Do-Well study: protocol for a randomised controlled trial, economic and qualitative process evaluations of domiciliary welfare rights advice for socio-economically disadvantaged older people recruited via primary health care. BMC Public Health 2012, 12(1), 382.
- Howel D. Trends in the prevalence of abdominal obesity and overweight in English adults (1993-2008). Obesity 2012, 20(8), 1750-1752.
- Russell C, Howel D, Ward-Platt MP, Ball HL. Use of interactive telephone technology for longitudinal data collection in a large trial. Contemporary Clinical Trials 2012, 33(2), 364-368.
- Howel D. Waist circumference and abdominal obesity among older adults: patterns, prevalence and trends. PLoS One 2012, 7(10), e48528.
- Murdoch M, McColl EM, Howel D, Deverill M, Buckley B, Lucas M, Chapple CR, Tincello DG, Armstrong N, Brennand C, Shen J, Vale L, Hilton P. INVESTIGATE-I (INVasive Evaluation before Surgical Treatment of Incontinence Gives Added Therapeutic Effect?): study protocol for a mixed methods study to assess the feasibility of a future randomised controlled trial of the clinical utility of invasive urodynamic testing. Trials 2011, 12(1), 169.
- Shaw L, Price C, McLure S, Howel D, McColl E, Ford GA. Paramedic Initiated Lisinopril for Acute Stroke Treatment (PIL-FAST): study protocol for a pilot randomised controlled trial. Trials 2011, 12(1), 152.
- Ball HL, Ward Platt MP, Howel D, Russell C. Randomised trial of sidecar crib use on breastfeeding duration (NECOT). Archives of Disease in Childhood 2011, 96(7), 630-634.
- Howel D. Trends in the prevalence of obesity and overweight in English adults by age and birth cohort, 1991-2006. Public Health Nutrition 2011, 14(1), 27-33.
- Kelly T, Suddes J, Howel D, Hewison J, Robson SC. Comparing medical versus surgical termination of pregnancy at 13–20 weeks of gestation: a randomised controlled trial. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2010, 117(12), 1512-1520.
- Rankin JM, Chadwick TJ, Natarajan M, Howel DM, Pearce MS, Pless-Mulloli T. Maternal exposure to ambient air pollutants and risk of congenital anomalies. Environmental Research 2009, 109(2), 181-187.
- Robson SC, Kelly T, Howel D, Deverill M, Hewison J, Lie MLS, Stamp E, Armstrong N, May CR. Randomised preference trial of medical versus surgical termination of pregnancy less than 14 weeks' gestation (TOPS). Health Technology Assessment 2009, 13(53), 1-148.
- Howel D. Multivariate data analysis of pollutant profiles: PCB levels across Europe. Chemosphere 2007, 67(7), 1300-1307.
- Adams JM, White M, Moffatt S, Howel DM, MacKintosh JE. A systematic review of the health, social and financial impacts of welfare rights advice delivered in healthcare settings. BMC Public Health 2006, 6(1), 81.
- Edwards R, Pless-Mulloli T, Howel D, Chadwick T, Bhopal R, Harrison R, Gribbin H. Does living near heavy industry cause lung cancer in women? A case-control study using life grid interviews. Thorax 2006, 61(12), 1076-1082.
- Chinn DJ, White M, Howel D, Harland JOE, Drinkwater CK. Factors associated with non-participation in a physical activity promotion trial. Public Health 2006, 120(4), 309-319.
- Mackintosh J, White M, Howel D, Chadwick T, Moffatt S, Deverill M, Sandell A. Randomised controlled trial of welfare rights advice accessed via primary health care: Pilot study [ISRCTN61522618]. BMC Public Health 2006, 6(162), 10.
- White M, Moffatt S, Mackintosh J, Howel D, Sandell A, Chadwick T, Deverill M, Bell R, Whitton N. Randomised controlled trial to evaluate the health effects of welfare rights advice accessed via primary health care: a pilot study. Newcastle upon Tyne: University of Newcastle, 2006. Report to Department of Health.
- Moffatt S, Mackintosh J, White M, Howel D, Sandell A. The acceptability and impact of a randomised controlled trial of welfare rights advice accessed via primary health care: Qualitative study. BMC Public Health 2006, 6(163).
- Moffatt S, White M, Mackintosh J, Howel D. Using quantitative and qualitative data in health services research - What happens when mixed method findings conflict? [ISRCTN61522618]. BMC Health Services Research 2006, 6, 28.
- Barron MJ, Chinnery PF, Howel D, Blakely EL, Schaefer AM, Taylor RW, Turnbull DM. Cytochrome c oxidase deficient muscle fibres: Substantial variation in their proportions within skeletal muscles from patients with mitochondrial myopathy. Neuromuscular Disorders 2005, 15(11), 768-774.
- Pless-Mulloli T, Edwards R, Howel D, Wood R, Paepke O, Herrmann T. Does long term residency near industry have an impact on the body burden of polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins, furans, and polychlorinated biphenyls in older women?. Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2005, 62(12), 895-901.
- Pless-Mulloli T, Edwards R, Howel D, Paepke O, Hermann T. Dioxin body burden in women with long term residency near and away from major chemical industries in Teesside, UK. Organohalogen Compounds 2004, 66, 2649-2654.
- Glinianaia SV, Rankin J, Bell R, Pless-Mulloli T, Howel D. Does Particulate Air Pollution Contribute to Infant Death? A Systematic Review. Environmental Health Perspectives 2004, 112(14), 1365-1370.
- Glinianaia SV, Rankin J, Bell R, Pless-Mulloli T, Howel D. Particulate air pollution and fetal health: A systematic review of the epidemiologic evidence. Epidemiology 2004, 15(1), 36-45.
- Bush J, Pless-Mulloli T, Moffatt S, Phillimore P, Howel D. Perception of risks to quality of life and health in ex-mining communities in north-east England. In: EPIDEMIOLOGY. 2004, 530 WALNUT ST, PHILADELPHIA, PA 19106-3621 USA: LIPPINCOTT WILLIAMS & WILKINS.
- Snaith VJ, Sturgiss SN, Hewison J, Howel D, Robson SC. [abstract] Maternal-foetal attachment and maternal anxiety in women having early pregnancy screening for foetal abnormality. Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology 2003, 21(3), 249-250.
- Chinnery PF, Howel D, Turnbull DM, Johnson MA. Clinical progression of mitochondrial myopathy is associated with the random accumulation of cytochrome c oxidase negative skeletal muscle fibres. Journal of the Neurological Sciences 2003, 211(1-2), 63-66.
- Howel D, Moffatt S, Bush J, Dunn CE, Prince H. Public views on the links between air pollution and health in Northeast England. Environmental Research 2003, 91(3), 163-171.
- Howel D, Webster S, Hayes J, Barton A, Donaldson L. The impact of recurrent throat infection on children and their families. Family Practice 2002, 19(3), 242-246.
- Howel D, Moffatt S, Prince H, Bush J, Dunn CE. Urban air quality in north-east England: Exploring the influences on local views and perceptions. Risk Analysis 2002, 22(1), 121-130.
- Howel D, Darnell R, Pless-Mulloli T. Children's respiratory health and daily particulate levels in 10 nonurban communities. Environmental Research 2001, 87(1), 1-9.
- Howel D, Pless-Mulloli T, Darnell R. Consultations of children living near open-cast coal mines. Environmental Health Perspectives 2001, 109(6), 567-571.
- Pless-Mulloli T, Howel D, Prince H. Prevalence of asthma and other respiratory symptoms in children living near and away from opencast coal mining sites. International Journal of Epidemiology 2001, 30(3), 556-563.
- Howel D, O'Brien S, Murphy E, Chinn DJ, McCrone C, French JM, Blain PG. Upper aerodigestive tract cancers in former employees at an iron and steel works. Occupational Medicine 2001, 51(5), 336-342.
- Howel D, Fischbacher CM, Bhopal RS, Gray J, Metcalf JV, James OFW. An exploratory population-based case-control study of primary biliary cirrhosis. Hepatology 2000, 31(5), 1055-1060.
- Howel D, Arblaster L. Identifying industrial sites with potential for residential exposure to asbestos. Journal of Public Health Medicine 2000, 22(2), 146-148.
- Pless-Mulloli T, Howel D, King A, Stone I, Merefield J, Bessell J, Darnell R. Living near opencast coal mining sites and children's respiratory health. Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2000, 57(3), 145-151.
- Pless-Mulloli T, King A, Howel D, Stone I, Merefield J. PM10 levels in communities close to and away from opencast coal mining sites in Northeast England. Atmospheric Environment 2000, 34(19), 3091-3101.
- Howel D, Metcalf JV, Gray J, Newman WL, Jones DEJ, James OFW. Cancer risk in primary biliary cirrhosis: A study in northern England. Gut 1999, 45(5), 756-760.
- Pless-Mulloli T, Howel D, King A, Stone I, Merefield J, Bessell J, Darnell R, Young S, Prince H. Do particulates from opencast coal mining impair children's respiratory health?. Report from The Stationery Office 1999, 1-229.