- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 2086368
- Address: Institute of Health & Society, Newcastle University,
Newcastle upon Tyne.
I have worked on systematic reviews for over ten years, both as information specialist and systematic reviewer.
I am working towards a PhD looking at the use of evidence synthesis methods to optimise the use of complex behaviour change interventions.
I am a member of the Evidence Synthesis Team in the Institute of Health and Society.
Postgraduate Diploma in Information and Library Studies, University of Northumbria
Honours Degree in Chemistry, University of Warwick
2010-2012 Information Specialist/Research Fellow, Centre for Reviews and Dissemination
2003-2010 Information Specialist, Institute of Health and Society, Newcastle University
2001-2003 Trials Search Coordinator, Cochrane Injuries Group
1998-2001 Information Scientist, United Biscuits R&D Services
1995-1998 Senior Library Assistant (Science & Engineering), University of Wales Swansea Library
"Effectiveness of brief alcohol interventions in primary care populations" (Cochrane review update).
"Effectiveness of brief technological interventions to reduce hazardous and harmful drinking across unselected populations" (Cochrane review)
INCHES "INnovation in Care Homes: Evidence Synthesis. This project comprises a rapid synthesis of the evidence relating to the effectiveness, cost-effectiveness, implementation, delivery, evaluation and impact of new models of care on enhancing health in care homes, focused on the key areas of technology, workforce, communication and engagement, and evaluation.
Promoting parent-child reading to improve school readiness and later language development (Campbell Collaboration review).
I'm interested in methods of literature retrieval for systematic reviews, and in research synthesis methods.
I am a peer reviewer for Implementation Science, the Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, and Health Information and Libraries Journal.
- Faculty of Medical Sciences Research Student Development Programme - Health Research Methods: Systematic Review
- MSc in Public Health and Health Services Research - Introduction to systematic reviewing and critical appraisal
- Beyer F, Wright K. Can we prioritise which databases to search? A case study using a systematic review of frozen shoulder management. Health Information & Libraries Journal 2013, 30(1), 49-58.
- Beyer FR, Ker K. Street lighting for prevention of road traffic injuries. Injury Prevention 2009, 15(4), 282-282.
- Beyer F, Ker K. Street lighting for preventing road traffic injuries. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2009, (1), CD004728.
- Kaner EFS, Dickinson HO, Beyer F, Pienaar E, Schlesinger C, Campbell F, Saunders JB, Burnand B, Heather N. The effectiveness of brief alcohol interventions in primary care settings: A systematic review. Drug and Alcohol Review 2009, 28(3), 301-323.
- Kaner E, Dickinson H, Beyer F, Campbell F, Schlesinger C, Heather N, Saunders J, Burnand B, Pienaar E. Effectiveness of brief alcohol interventions in primary care populations. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2007, 2007(2), CD004148.
- Robinson L, Dickinson C, Rousseau N, Beyer F, Clark A, Hughes J, Howel D, Exley C. A systematic review of the effectiveness of advance care planning interventions for people with cognitive impairment and dementia. Age and Ageing 2012, 41(2), 263-269.
- Parmelli E, Flodgren G, Beyer F, Baillie N, Schaafsma ME, Eccles MP. The effectiveness of strategies to change organisational culture to improve healthcare performance: a systematic review. Implementation Science 2011, 6(1), 33.
- Flodgren G, Eccles MP, Shepperd S, Scott A, Parmelli E, Beyer FR. An overview of reviews evaluating the effectiveness of financial incentives in changing healthcare professional behaviours and patient outcomes. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2011, 2011(7), CD009255.
- Flodgren G, Deane K, Dickinson HO, Kirk S, Alberti H, Beyer FR, Brown JG, Penney TL, Summerbell CD, Eccles MP. Interventions to change the behaviour of health professionals and the organisation of care to promote weight reduction in overweight and obese people. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2010, 2010(3), CD000984.
- Hrisos S, Eccles MP, Francis JJ, Dickinson HO, Kaner EFS, Beyer F, Johnston M. Are there valid proxy measures of clinical behaviour? a systematic review. Implementation Science 2009, 4(1), 37.
- Newbury-Birch D, Gilvarry E, McArdle P, Ramesh V, Stewart S, Walker J, Avery L, Beyer F, Brown N, Jackson K, Lock C, McGovern R, Kaner E. Impact of alcohol consumption on young people: A systematic review of published reviews. Department for Children, Schools and Families, 2009. DCSF-RR067.
- Dickinson HO, Campbell F, Beyer FR, Nicolson DJ, Cook JV, Ford GA, Mason JM. Relaxation therapies for the management of primary hypertension in adults: a Cochrane review. Journal of Human Hypertension 2008, 22(12), 809-820.
- Dickinson HO, Mason JM, Nicolson DJ, Campbell F, Beyer FR, Cook JV, Williams B, Ford GA. Lifestyle interventions to reduce raised blood pressure: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials. Journal of Hypertension 2006, 24(2), 215-233.
- Dickinson HO, Nicolson DJ, Campbell F, Cook JV, Beyer FR, Ford GA, Mason J. Magnesium supplementation for the management of essential hypertension in adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2006, 3, CD004640.
- Dickinson HO, Nicolson DJ, Campbell F, Beyer FR, Mason J. Potassium supplementation for the management of primary hypertension in adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2006, (3), CD004641.
- Robinson L, Hutchings D, Corner L, Beyer F, Dickinson H, Vanoli A, Finch T, Hughes J, Ballard C, May C, Bond J. A systematic literature review of the effectiveness of non-pharmacological interventions to prevent wandering in dementia and evaluation of the ethical implications and acceptability of their use. Health Technology Assessment 2006, 10(26), 1-124.
- Eccles MP, Hrisos S, Francis J, Kaner EF, Dickinson HO, Beyer F, Johnston M. Do self- reported intentions predict clinicians' behaviour: A systematic review. Implementation Science 2006, 1(28), 10.
- Beyer FR, Dickinson HO, Nicolson DJ, Ford GA, Mason J. Combined calcium, magnesium and potassium supplementation for the management of primary hypertension in adults. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2006, (3), CD004805.
- Ker K, Roberts I, Collier T, Beyer F, Bunn F, Frost C. Post-licence driver education for the prevention of road traffic crashes: A systematic review of randomised controlled trials. Accident Analysis and Prevention 2005, 37(2), 305-313.
- Dickinson HO, Lock CA, Lecouturier J, Beyer F, Mason J. A systematic review of calcium and vitamin D for the prevention of osteoporotic fractures. London, UK: submitted to Royal College of Nurses, 2005.
- Hrisos S, Eccles MP, Francis J, Kaner EFS, Johnston M, Beyer F, Dickinson H. How well do self-reported intentions predict clinicians' behaviour? A Systematic Review. Family Practice 2005, 22(1), 126-127.
- Campbell F, Dickinson HO, Cook JVF, Beyer FR, Eccles M, Mason JM. Methods underpinning national clinical guidelines for hypertension: Describing the evidence shortfall. BMC Health Services Research 2006, 6, 47.
- Clarke M, Powell C, Buck D, McColl E, Speed C, Hogan V, Vale L, Shen J, Steen N, Nassar M, Thomson R, Joyce K, Beyer F, Taylor R, Tiffin P, Sloper J. An External Pilot Study to Test the Feasibility of a Randomised Controlled Trial comparing Eye Muscle Surgery against Active Monitoring for Childhood Intermittent Distance Exotropia [X(T)]. Pilot Rehearsal Trial and Feasibility Study, Final Report to the NIHR HTA, HTA Project 09/01/20, July 2013. 2014. In Press.
- Bayliss HR, Beyer FR. Information retrieval for ecological syntheses. Research Synthesis Methods 2015, 6(2), 136-148.
- Potthoff S, Rasul O, Sniehotta F, Beyer F, Bryant A, Marques M, Thomson R, Avery L, Presseau J. A Systematic Review assessing the relationship between habit and healthcare professional behavior in clinical practice. In: International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 2016, Melbourne, Australia: Springer.
- McParlin C, O'Donnell A, Robson SC, Beyer F, Moloney E, Bryant A, Bradley J, Muirhead CR, Nelson-Piercy C, Newbury-Birch D, Norman J, Shaw C, Simpson E, Swallow B, Yates L, Vale L. Treatments for Hyperemesis Gravidarum and Nausea and Vomiting in Pregnancy: A Systematic Review. Journal of American Medical Association 2016, 316(13), 1392-1401.
- O'Donnell A, McParlin C, Robson SC, Beyer F, Moloney E, Bryant A, Bradley J, Muirhead C, Nelson-Piercy C, Newbury-Birch D, Norman J, Simpson E, Swallow B, Yates L, Vale L. Treatments for hyperemesis gravidarum and nausea and vomiting in pregnancy: a systematic review and economic assessment. London: NIHR Journals Library, 2016. Health Technology Assessment.
- McParlin C, O'Donnell A, Robson S, Beyer F, Moloney E, Bryant A, Bradley J, Muirhead C, Nelson-Peircey C, Newbury-Birch D, Norman J, Simpson E, Swallow B, Yates L, Vale L. A systematic review of the clinical-effectiveness of interventions for nausea and vomiting in pregnancy. In: British Maternal & Fetal Medicine Society (BMFMS) 17th Annual Conference 2015. 2015, London, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Joyce KE, Beyer F, Thomson RG, Clarke MP. A systematic review of the effectiveness of treatments in altering the natural history of intermittent exotropia. British Journal of Ophthalmology 2015, 99(4), 440-450.
- Clarke M, Hogan V, Buck D, Shen J, Powell C, Speed C, Tiffin P, Sloper J, Taylor R, Nassar M, Joyce K, Beyer F, Thomson R, Vale L, McColl E, Steen N. An external pilot study to test the feasibility of a randomised controlled trial comparing eye muscle surgery against active monitoring for childhood intermittent exotropia [X(T)]. Health Technology Assessment 2015, 19(39).