Professor Fiona Matthews
Professor of Epidemiology
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1120
- Address: Institute for Health and Society
Biomedical Research Building
Campus for Ageing and Vitality
Newcastle upon Tyne
A statistician by training I am currently part time Professor of Epidemiology in Newcastle, and part time as a Programme Leader at the MRC Biostatistics Unit in Cambridge.
I am particularly interested in using modern statistical methods to investigate ageing, healthy life expectancy and autism using population based epidemiological studies. I am the Principal Statistician on the Cognitive Function and Ageing Studies (www.cfas.ac.uk).
BSc (Hons) Statistics, University of Reading (1991)
MSc Medical Statistics, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, University of London (1993)
PhD University of Cambridge (2005)
Programme leader – Senior scientist. Lead of programme on statistical epidemiology in ageing research. MRC Biostatistics Unit, Cambridge. 2008 - onwards (now part time)
MRC CFAS statistician. Senior research associate. MRC Biostatistics Unit, Cambridge. 2000-2009
MRC CFAS statistician. Research Associate. MRC Biostatistics Unit, Cambridge. 1997-2000
Non-clinical research scientist, Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey. 1993-1997
Computer officer, Institute of Cancer Research, Sutton, Surrey. 1990-1993
Honours and Awards
Fellow of the Royal Statistical Society and previously elected council member.
Deputy Chair, MRC Strategic Skills Fellowship Panel.
Member, ESRC Future Leader Research Panel
RCGP Neurology, Mental Health and Dementia Paper of the Year (2013)
Gopal Kanji Prize for best article in Journal of Applied Statistics. 2011.
- Lipnicki D, Crawford JD, Dutta R, Thalamuthu A, Kochan NA, Andrews A, Lima-Costa MF, Castro Costa E, Brayne C, Matthews FE, Stephan BCM, Lipton RB, Katz MJ, Ritchie K, Scali J, Ancelin ML, Scarmeas N, Yannakoulia M, Dardiotis E, Lam LCW, Wong CHY, Fung AWT, Guaita A, Vaccaro R, Davin A, Woong-Kim K, Han JW, Hui Kim T, Anstey KJ, Cherbuin N, Butterworth P, Scazufca M, Kumagai S, Chen S, Narazaki K, Ng TP, Gao Q, Reppermund S, Brodaty H, Lobo A, Lopez-Anton R, Santabárbara J, Sachdev PS. Age-related cognitive decline and associations with sex, education and apolipoprotein E genotype across ethnocultural groups and geographic regions: a collaborative cohort study. PLoS Medicine 2017, 14(3), e1002261.
- Davis DHJ, Muniz-Terrera G, Keage HAD, Stephan BCM, Fleming J, Ince PG, Matthews FE, Cunningham C, Ely EW, MacLullich AMJ, Brayne C. Association of Delirium With Cognitive Decline in Late Life: A Neuropathologic Study of 3 Population-Based Cohort Studies. JAMA Psychiatry 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Green I, Stow D, Matthews FE, Hanratty B. Changes over time in the health and functioning of older people moving into care homes: Analysis of data from the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing. Age and Ageing 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Opdebeeck C, Matthews FE, Wu YT, Woods RT, Brayne C, Clare L. Cognitive reserve as a moderator of the negative association between mood and cognition: evidence from a population-representative cohort. Psychological Medicine 2017, epub ahead of print.
- van Bussel EF, Richard E, Arts DL, Noovens AC, Coloma PM, de Wall MWM, van den Akker M, Biermans MC, Nielen MMJ, van Boven K, Smeets H, Matthews FE, Brayne C, Busshers WB, van Gool WA, Moll van Charante EP. Dementia incidence trend over 1992-2014: analysis of primary care data in the Netherlands. PLOS Medicine 2017, 14(3), e1002235.
- Wu Y-T, Prina AM, Jones A, Barnes LE, Matthews FE, Brayne C. Micro-scale environment and mental health in later life: Results from the Cognitive Function and Ageing Study II (CFAS II). Journal of Affective Disorders 2017, 218, 359-364.
- Stephan BCM, Richardson K, Savva GM, Matthews FE, Brayne C, Hachinski V. Potential Value of Impaired Cognition in Stroke Prediction: A U.K. Population-Based Study. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Clare L, Wu YT, Teale JC, MacLeod C, Matthews F, Brayne C, Woods B. Potentially-modifiable Lifestyle Factors, Cognitive Reserve and Cognitive Function in Later Life: a Cross-sectional Study. Plos Medicine 2017, 14(3), e1002259.
- Wu YT, Beiser AS, Breterler MMB, Fratiglioni L, Helmer C, Hendrie HC, Honda H, Ikram MA, Langa KM, Lobo A, Matthews FE, Ohara T, Peres K, Qiu C, Seshadri S, Sjolund BM, Skoog I, Brayne C. The changing prevalence and incidence of dementia over time — current evidence. Nature Reviews Neurology 2017, 13(6), 327-339.
- Jagger C, Matthews FE, Wohland P, Fouweather T, Stephan BCM, Robinson L, Arthur A, Brayne C, on behalf of the Medical Research Council Cognitive Function and Ageing Collaboration. A comparison of health expectancies over two decades in England: results of the Cognitive Function and Ageing Study I and II. The Lancet 2016, 387(10020), 779-786.
- Matthews FE, Stephan BCM, Robinson L, Jagger C, Barnes LE, Arthur A, Brayne C. A two decade dementia incidence comparison from the Cognitive Function and Ageing Studies I and II . Nature Communications 2016, 7, 11398.
- Hayat SA, Luben R, Dalzelli N, Moore S, Anuj S, Matthews FE, Wareham N, Brayne C, Khaw KT. Cross Sectional Associations Between Socio-demographic Factors and Cognitive Performance in an Older British Population: The European Investigation of Cancer in Norfolk (EPIC-Norfolk) Study. PLoS One 2016, 11(12), e0166779.
- Wu Y-T, Fratiglioni L, Matthews FE, Lobo A, Breteler MMB, Skoog I, Brayne C. Dementia in western Europe: epidemiological evidence and implications for policy making. Lancet Neurology 2016, 15(1), 116-124.
- Orr JG, Thomas RC, Stow D, Matthews F, Hanratty B, Jones D, Hudson M. Eleven-year mortality and referral practices associated with abnormal alanine aminotransferase (ALT) results. In: 67th Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases: The Liver Meeting 2016. 2016, Washington DC: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Grossi CM, Maidment I, Richardson K, Fox C, Brayne C, Matthews F, Robinson L, Savva GM. Increasing Prevalence Of Anticholinergic Medication Use Over 20 Years In The UK Older Population: Cognitive Function And Ageing Study I and II. In: 32nd International Conference on Pharmacoepidemiology & Therapeutic Risk Management. 2016, Dublin: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Richardson K, Fox C, Maidment I, Steel N, Loke Y, Arthur A, Grossi C, Bennett K, Myint P, Campbell N, Brayne C, Matthews FE, Boustani M, Robinson L, Savva G. Medications with Potent Anticholinergic Activity and Incident Dementia Diagnosis in the UK Older Population. In: 32nd International Conference on Pharmacoepidemiology & Therapeutic Risk Management. 2016, Dublin: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Taga M, Minett T, Classey J, Matthews FE, Brayne C, Ince PG, Nicoll JA, Hugon J, Boche D, MRC CFAS. Metaflammasome components in the human brain: a role in dementia with alzheimer's pathology?. Brain Pathology 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Minnett T, Classey J, Matthews FE, Fahrenhold M, Taga M, Brayne C, Ince P, Nicoll J, Boche D. Microglial immunophenotype in dementia with Alzheimer's pathology. Journal of Neuroinflammation 2016, 13, 1-10.
- Simpson JE, Ince PG, Minett T, Matthews FE, Heath PR, Shaw PJ, Goodall E, Garwood CJ, Ratcliffe LE, Brayne C, Rattray M, Wharton SB. Neuronal DNA damage response-associated dysregulation of signalling pathways and cholesterol metabolism at the earliest stages of Alzheimer-type pathology. Neuropathology and Applied Neurobiology 2016, 42(2), 167-179.
- Hokkanen S, Kero M, Hunter S, Lilius L, Paetau A, Matthews F, Polvikoski T, Myllykangas L, Graff C, Brayne C. Old-age hippocampal sclerosis associates with GRN and TMEM106B but not with ABCC9 variation in population-based cohorts. In: 117th meeting of the British Neuropathological Society. 2016, London, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.
- van der Linde RM, Matthews FE, Dening R, Brayne C. Patterns and persistence of behavioural and psychological symptoms in those with cognitive impairment: the importance of apathy. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Khawaja AP, Chan MP, Yip JL, Broadway DC, Garway-Heath DF, Luben R, Hayat S, Matthews FE, Brayne C, Khaw KT, Foster PJ. Retinal Nerve Fiber Layer Measures and Cognitive Function in the EPIC-Norfolk Cohort Study. Investigative Ophthalmology & Visual Science 2016, 57(4), 1921-1926.
- White SR, Muniz-Terrera G, Matthews FE. Sample size and classification error for Bayesian change-point models with unlabelled sub-groups and incomplete follow-up. Statistical Methods in Medical Research 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Wu Y-T, Prina AM, Jones A, Matthews FE, Brayne C. The Built Environment and Cognitive Disorders: Results From the Cognitive Function and Ageing Study II. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Matthews FE, Bennett H, Wittenberg R, Jagger C, Dening T, Brayne C, Cognitive Function Ageing Studies (CFAS) collaboration. Who lives where and does it matter? Changes in the health profiles of older people living in long term care and the community over two decades in a high income country. PLoS One 2016, 11(9), e0161705.
- Green E, Shafto MA, Matthews FE, Cam-CAN, White SR. Adult Lifespan Cognitive Variability in the Cross-Sectional Cam-CAN Cohort. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 2015, 12(12), 15516-15530.
- Newton JN, Briggs ADM, Murray CJL, Dicker D, Foreman KJ, Wang H, Naghavi M, Forouzanfar MH, Ohno SL, Barber RM, Vos T, Stanaway JD, Schmidt JC, Hughes AJ, Fay DFJ, Ecob R, Gresser C, McKee M, Rutter H, Abubakar I, Alli R, Anderson HR, Banerjee A, Bernabé E, Bhui KS, Biryukov SM, Bennett DA, Bourne RR, Brayne CEG, Bruce NG, Brugha TS, Burch M, Capewell S, Casey D, Chowdhury R, Coates MM, Cooper C, Critchley JA, Dargan PI, Dherani MK, Elliott P, Ezzati M, Fenton KA, Fraser MS, Fürst T, Greaves F, Green MA, Gunnell DJ, Hannigan BM, Hay RJ, Hay SI, Hemmingway H, Larson HJ, Looker KJ, Lunevicius R, Lyons R, Marcenes W, Mason-Jones A, Matthews FE, Moller H, Murdoch ME, Newton CR, Pearce N, Piel FB, Pope D, Rahimi K, Rodriguez A, Scarborough P, Schumacher AE, Shiue I, Smeeth L, Tedstone A, Valabhji J, Williams HC, Wolfe CDA, Woolf AD, Davis A. Changes in health in England, with analysis by English regions and areas of deprivation, 1990–2013: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2013. The Lancet 2015, 386(10010), 2257-2274.
- Gao L, Green E, Barnes LE, Brayne C, Matthews FE, Robinson L, Arthur A, MRC CFAS. Changing non-participation in epidemiological studies of older people: evidence from the Cognitive Function and Ageing Study I and II. Age and Ageing 2015, 44(5), 867-873.
- Stephan BCM, Minett T, Terrera GM, Matthews FE, Brayne C. Dementia prediction for people with stroke in populations: is mild cognitive impairment a useful concept?. Age and Ageing 2015, 44(1), 78-83.
- Wu YT, Prina AM, Jones A, Matthews FE, Brayne C, MRC CFAS. Older people, the natural environment and common mental disorders: cross-sectional results from the Cognitive Function and Ageing Study. BMJ Open 2015, 5(9), e007936.
- Yates JA, Clare L, Woods RT, Matthews FE, CFAS Wales. Subjective Memory Complaints are Involved in the Relationship between Mood and Mild Cognitive Impairment. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease 2015, 48(S1), S115-S123.
- Fluteau A, Ince PG, Minett T, Matthews FE, Brayne C, Garwood CJ, Ratcliffe LE, Morgan S, Heath PR, Shaw PJ, Wharton SB, Simpson JE, MRC Cognitive Function Ageing. The nuclear retention of transcription factor FOXO3a correlates with a DNA damage response and increased glutamine synthetase expression by astrocytes suggesting a neuroprotective role in the ageing brain. Neuroscience Letters 2015, 609, 11-17.
- Sachdev PS, Lipnicki DM, Kochan NA, Crawford JD, Thalamuthu A, Andrews G, Brayne C, Matthews FE, Stephan BCM, Lipton RB, Katz MJ, Ritchie K, Carriere I, Ancelin ML, Lam LCW, Wong CHY, Fung AWT, Guaita A, Vaccaro R, Davin A, Ganguli M, Dodge H, Hughes T, Anstey KJ, Cherbuin N, Butterworth P, Ng TP, Gao Q, Reppermund S, Brodaty H, Schupf N, Manly J, Stern Y, Lobo A, Lopez-Anton R, Santabarbara J, Cohort Studies Memory Internationa. The Prevalence of Mild Cognitive Impairment in Diverse Geographical and Ethnocultural Regions: The COSMIC Collaboration. PLoS One 2015, 10(11), e0142388.
- Davis DHJ, Barnes LE, Stephan BCM, MacLullich AMJ, Meagher D, Copeland J, Matthews FE, Brayne C, on behalf of the MRC Cognitive Function and Ageing Study. The descriptive epidemiology of delirium symptoms in a large population-based cohort study: results from the Medical Research Council Cognitive Function and Ageing Study (MRC CFAS). BMC Geriatrics 2014, 14, 87.
- Stephan BC, Hunter S, Harris D, Llewellyn DJ, Siervo M, Matthews FE, Brayne C. The neuropathological profile of mild cognitive impairment (MCI): a systematic review. Molecular Psychiatry 2012, 17(11), 1056-1076.
- Brayne C, Stephan BC, Matthews FE. A European perspective on population studies of dementia. Alzheimer's & Dementia 2011, 7(1), 3-9.
- Muniz-Terrera G, Matthews FE, Stephan B, Brayne C, CC75C Collaboration Group. Are terminal decline and its potential indicators detectable in population studies of the oldest old?. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 2011, 26(5), 584-592.
- Matthews FE, Stephan BC, Khaw KT, Hayat S, Luben R, Bhaniani A, Moore S, Brayne C. Full-scale scores of the Mini Mental State Examination can be generated from an abbreviated version. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology 2011, 64(9), 1005-1013.
- Stephan BC, Kurth T, Matthews FE, Brayne C, Dufouil C. Dementia risk prediction in the population: are screening models accurate?. Nature Reviews Neurology 2010, 6(6), 318-326.
- Brayne C, Ince PG, Keage HAD, McKeith IG, Matthews FE, Polvikoski T, Sulkava R. Education, the brain and dementia: neuroprotection or compensation? EClipSE Collaborative Members. Brain 2010, 133(8), 2210-2216.
- Stephan BC, Matthews FE, Khaw KT, Dufouil C, Brayne C. Beyond mild cognitive impairment: vascular cognitive impairment, no dementia (VCIND). Alzheimer's Research & Therapy 2009, 1(1), 4.
- Matthews FE, Jagger C, Miller LL, Brayne C, MRC CFAS. Education Differences in Life Expectancy with Cognitive Impairment. Journal of Gerontology Medical Sciences 2009, 64A(1), 125-131.
- van den Hout A, Jagger C, Matthews FE. Estimating life expectancy in health and ill health using a hidden Markov model. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C 2009, 58(4), 449-465.
- Byford M, Brayne C, McKeith I, Chatfield M, Ince PG, Matthews FE, MRC CFAS Neuropathology Group. Lewy bodies and neuronal loss in subcortical areas and disability in non-demented older people: a population based neuropathological cohort study. BMC Geriatrics 2009, 9(22), 9.
- Seidel D, Crilly N, Matthews FE, Jagger C, Brayne C, Clarkson PJ. Patterns of Functional Loss Among Older People: A Prospective Analysis. Human Factors 2009, 51(5), 669-680.
- Peres K, Jagger C, Matthews FE, MRC CFAS. Impact of late-life self-reported emotional problems on Disability-Free Life Expectancy: results from the MRC Cognitive Function and Ageing Study. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 2008, 23(6), 643-649.
- Jagger C, Matthews R, Melzer D, Matthews F, Brayne C, MRC CFAS. Educational differences in the dynamics of disability incidence, recovery and mortality: Findings from the MRC Cognitive Function and Ageing Study (MRC CFAS). International Journal of Epidemiology 2007, 36(2), 358-365.
- Matthews FE, McKeith I, Bond J, Brayne C. Reaching the population with dementia drugs: What are the challenges?. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 2007, 22(7), 627-631.