Professor Helen Hancock
- Email: email@example.com
I have research expertise in the design, development and delivery of nationally-funded clinical trials with a track record in cardiac surgery and cardiology clinical trials, as well as in randomised controlled trial methodology.
My background in the NHS and my active research and academic roles, mean that I am familiar with the landscape and strategic imperatives within which the NIHR and NHS operate.
As a member of the the National Institute for Health research (NIHR) senior leadership team http://www.nihr.ac.uk/about-us/how-we-are-managed /nihr-leadership/, I engage directly with policy makers.
I offer academic and strategic leadership of the NIHR Research Design Service North East (RDS NE) and Durham Clinical Trials Unit (DCTU) teams.
co-Director, Newcastle Clinical Trials Unit (NCTU)
I hold joint responsibility for the academic, financial, administrative and business management of NCTU.
NCTU is focused on excellence in the design, development and delivery of clinical trials to improve patient outcomes .The Unit provides the infrastructure to support clinical trials and studies to be conducted to the standards required by regulators and in accordance with best practice and guidance.
co-Director, NIHR Research Design Service North East (RDS NE)
The RDS NE is one of ten regionally based RDS’, which together form a national Research Design Service http://www.rds.nihr.ac.uk/.
The Research Design Service provides advice to investigators who are preparing applications for national peer-reviewed funding (to NIHR, AMRC, MRC and other national funding bodies) for applied health and social care research.
RDS NE operates an integrated regional service:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ph. (0191) 208 7000
Lead for NIHR RDS nationally, linking with Department of Health and National Institute of Health Research colleagues:
I engage directly with senior DH and NIHR colleagues on behalf of the RDS nationally.
This role includes membership of NIHR Strategy Board which advises on strategic issues relating to the management of the NIHR and the implementation of NIHR’s strategic plans as part of the senior NIHR Leadership team.
- Akowuah E, Goodwin AT, Owens WA, Hancock HC, Maier R, Kasim A, Mellor A, Khan K, Murphy G, Mason J. Manubrium-limited ministernotomy versus conventional sternotomy for aortic valve replacement (MAVRIC): Study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials 2017, 18(1), 46.
- Akowuah E, Goodwin AT, Owens WA, Hancock HC, Maier R, Kasim A, Mellor A, Khan K, Murphy G, Mason J. Manubrium-limited ministernotomy versus conventional sternotomy for aortic valve replacement: A randomised controlled trial (MAVRIC). In: Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery Annual Meeting & Cardiothoracic Forum. 2017, Belfast, Ireland: SCTS.
- Cox J, Hancock H, Maier R, Spratt J, Lee CM, Bhatti A, Mason J. Multidetector CT improving surgical outcomes in breast cancer (MISO-BC): A randomised controlled trial. Breast 2017, 32, 217-224.
- Akowuah E, Hancock H, Maier R, Kasim A, Zacharias J, Deshpande R, Birdi I, Vale L, Livesey S, Stewart M, Murphy G. Minimally invasive thoracoscopically-guided right minithoracotomy versus conventional sternotomy for mitral valve repair: a multicentre randomised controlled trial (UK Mini Mitral). NIHR Research Project 2016.
- Rees CJ, Rajasekhar PT, Wilson A, Close H, Rutter MD, Saunders BP, East JE, Maier R, Moorghen M, Muhammad U, Hancock H, Jayaprakash A, MacDonald C, Ramadas A, Dhar A, Mason JM. Narrow band imaging optical diagnosis of small colorectal polyps in routine clinical practice: The Detect Inspect Characterise Resect and Discard 2 (DISCARD 2) study. Gut 2016, 66(5), 887-895.
- Cox J, Hancock H, Spratt J, Close H, May C, Mohammed U, Mason J. Multidectector CT improving surgical; outcomes in patients with breast cancer: A randomised controlled trial. In: UK Radiological Congress. 2015, Liverpool, UK.
- Hancock HC, Close H, Fuat A, Murphy JJ, Hungin APS, Mason JM. Barriers to accurate diagnosis and effective management of heart failure have not changed in the past 10 years: A qualitative study and national survey. BMJ Open 2014, 4(3), e003866.
- Dhar A, Close H, Hancock H, Maier R, Wilson D, Mason JM, Vishwanath YKS, Rees C, Dwarakanath D. Biodegradable stent or ballon dilatation for benign oesophageal stricture: Pilot randomised controlled trial. World Journal of Gastroenterology 2014, 20(48), 18199-18206.
- Fuat A, Hancock HC. Co-ordinated care is kay to accurate diagnosis and effective management of HF. British Journal of Cardiac Nursing 2014, 9(7).
- Siriwardena AK, Mason JM, Mullamitha S, Hancock HC, Jegatheeswaran S. Management of colorectal cancer presenting with synchronous liver metastases. Nature Reviews Clinical Oncology 2014, 11(8), 446-459.
- Cox J, Hancock H, Spratt J, Close H, Lee CM, Mohammed U, Mason J. Multidetector CT Improving Surgical Outcomes in Breast Cancer (MISO BC). In: British Society of Breast Radiology Annual Scientific Meeting 2014. 2014, Brighton, UK: BioMed Central Ltd.