Dr Iain McKinnon
Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer
- McKinnon I, Finch T. Contextualising health screening risk assessments in police custody suites – qualitative evaluation from the HELP-PC study in London, UK. BMC Public Health 2017. Submitted.
- Addison M, Stockdale K, McGovern R, McGovern W, McKinnon I, Crowe L, Hogan L, Kaner E. Exploring intersections between Novel Psychoactive Substances (NPS) and other substance use in a police custody suite setting in the North East of England. Drugs: Education, Prevention & Policy 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Addison M, Stockdale K, McGovern R, McGovern W, McKinnon I, Crowe L, Hogan L, Kaner E. Exploring Novel Psychoactive Substance (NPS) use and its consequences for police practitioners and substance users in the North East of England. Online: N8 Policing Research Partnership, 2017. N8 Policing Research Partnership Catalyst Project - Small Grants 2015/16.
- McKinnon I, Hayes A, Grubin D. Health characteristics of older police custody detainees in London, UK. The Journal of Forensic Psychiatry & Psychology 2017, 28(3), 331-340.
- Hamilton J, Ingham B, McKinnon I, Parr J, Tam L, Le Couter A. Mental capacity to consent to research? Experiences of consenting adults with intellectual disabilities and/or autism to research. British Journal of Learning Disabilities 2017, epub ahead of print.
- McKinnon I, Keown P, Brown P. Street triage - a collaboration between police and mental health services to help vulnerable people in mental health crises. Public Sector Focus 2017, (8).
- McKinnon I. The Impact of Street Triage in the North East of England. In: XXXVth International Congress on Law and Mental Health. 2017, Prague, Czech Republic.
- McKinnon I, Lewis T, Mehta N, Imrit S, Thorp J, Ince C. Vitamin D in patients with intellectual and developmental disability in secure inpatient services in the North of England, UK. BJPsych Bulletin 2017. In Press.
- Thorp J, Lewis T, Mehta N, Imrit S, Ince C, McKinnon I. Vitamin D in secure care for offenders with Intellectual and Developmental Disability; screening, correction of deficiency, and potential impacts on health. In: 16th International Conference on the Care and Treatment of Offenders with an Intellectual or Developmental Disability. 2017, Manchester, UK: The National Autistic Society.
- Marshall I, Rosenbrier C, McKinnon I, Yordanova Y. Collaborative Risk Assessment – the Development of a Process. In: 15th International Conference on the Care and Treatment of Offenders with an Intellectual or Developmental Disability. 2016, Manchester, UK.
- McKinnon I, Thomas S, Noga H, Senior J. Police Custody Healthcare: a review of health morbidity, models of care and innovations within police custody in the UK, with international comparisons. Risk Management and Healthcare Policy 2016, 9, 213-226.
- French J, Keown P, McKinnon I, Gibson G, Newton E, Cull S, Brown P, Parry J, Lyons D. The impact of street triage on section 136 detention in Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust, England. In: International Congress of the Royal College of Psychiatrists. 2016, London.
- Taylor JL, McKinnon I, Thorpe I, Gillmer BT. The impact of Transforming Care on the care and safety of patients with learning disabilities and forensic needs. BJPsych Bulletin 2016, epub ahead of print.
- Keown P, French J, Gibson G, Newton E, Cull S, Brown P, Parry J, Lyons D, McKinnon I. Too much detention? Street Triage and detentions under Section 136 Mental Health Act in the North-East of England: a descriptive study of the effects of a Street Triage intervention. BMJ Open 2016, 6(11), e011837.
- McKinnon I, Thorp J, Grubin D. Improving the detection of detainees with suspected intellectual disability in police custody. Advances in Mental Health and Intellectual Disabilities 2015, 9(4), 174-185.
- McKinnon I, Holmes J, Shaw J. Mental Health: Suicide in the Criminal Justice System – Prevalence, Risk Factors, Prediction, and Prevention. In: Payne-James, J and Byard, RW, ed. Encyclopedia of Forensic and Legal Medicine. Oxford: Elsevier, 2015, pp.552-558.
- Keown P, McKinnon I. Section 136 Mental Health Act: Longitudinal Follow-Up Study. In: XXXIVth International Congress on Law and Mental Health. 2015, Sigmund Freud University Vienna, Austria: International Academy of Law and Mental Health.
- Senior J, Noga H, McKinnon I, Forrester A. UK developments in police-based mental health assessment and treatment. In: International Association of Forensic Mental Health Services: XV Annual Meeting & Conference Manchester 2015. 2015, Manchester, UK.
- McKinnon I, Grubin D. Intellectual and developmental disability in police custody. Results from the Health Screening of People in Police Custody project. In: Royal College of Psychiatrist Faculty Psychiatry of Intellectual Disability Annual Conference 2014. 2014, Holiday Inn Hotel, Birmingham.
- O'Farrell K, Joyce J, McKinnon I. Medication Monitoring for Adults with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. In: Royal College of Psychiatrists Faculty Psychiatry of Intellectual Disability Annual Conference 2014. 2014, Holiday Inn Hotel, Birmingham.
- Holmes J, McKinnon I. Recommendations - Assessment of People with Learning Difficulties and Disabilities in Police Custody. London, UK: Faculty of Forensic and Legal Medicine, 2014. Available at: http://fflm.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Assessment-of-People-with-Learning-Difficulties-and-Disabilities-in-Police-Custody.pdf.
- McKinnon IG, Grubin D. Health screening of people in police custody - evaluation of current police screening procedures in London, UK. European Journal of Public Health 2013, 23(3), 399-405.