Professor James Wason
Professor of Biostatistics
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I am a statistician with interests in methods for improving the design and analysis of clinical trials. As well as working in methodology development I have a great interest in collaborating on real trials to apply new methods in practice.
I have been in Newcastle since July 2017. I currently retain a part-time position in the MRC Biostatistics Unit, University of Cambridge.
I am part of the IHS Biostatistics Research Group.
My research focuses on statistical methods for improved design and analysis of clinical trials. I am particularly interested in:
1) Adaptive designs for clinical trials;
2) Methods for incorporating biomarkers into clinical trials to stratify patients by treatment response;
3) Improved methods for analysing composite endpoints, in particular ones with continuous components.
- Wason J, Stallard N, Bowden J, Jennison C. A multi-stage drop-the-losers design for multi-arm clinical trials. Statistical Methods in Medical Research 2017, 26(2), 508-524.
- O'Connor JPB, Aboagye EO, Adams JE, Aerts HJWL, Barrington SF, Beer AJ, Boellaard R, Bohndiek SE, Brady M, Brown G, Buckley DL, Chenevert TL, Clarke LP, Collette S, Cook GJ, Desouza NM, Dickson JC, Dive C, Evelhoch JL, Faivre-Finn C, Gallagher FA, Gilbert FJ, Gillies RJ, Goh V, Griffiths JR, Groves AM, Halligan S, Harris AL, Hawkes DJ, Hoekstra OS, Huang EP, Hutton BF, Jackson EF, Jayson GC, Jones A, Koh D-M, Lacombe D, Lambin P, Lassau N, Leach MO, Lee T-Y, Leen EL, Lewis JS, Liu Y, Lythgoe MF, Manoharan P, Maxwell RJ, Miles KA, Morgan B, Morris S, Ng T, Padhani AR, Parker GJM, Partridge M, Pathak AP, Peet AC, Punwani S, Reynolds AR, Robinson SP, Shankar LK, Sharma RA, Soloviev D, Stroobants S, Sullivan DC, Taylor SA, Tofts PS, Tozer GM, Van Herk M, Walker-Samuel S, Wason J, Williams KJ, Workman P, Yankeelov TE, Brindle KM, McShane LM, Jackson A, Waterton JC. Imaging biomarker roadmap for cancer studies. Nature Reviews Clinical Oncology 2017, 14(3), 169-186.
- Spencer A, Harbron C, Mander A, Wason J, Peers I. An adaptive design for updating the threshold value of a continuous biomarker. Statistics in Medicine 2016, 35(27), 4909-4923.
- Ring H, Gilbert N, Hook R, Platt A, Smith C, Irvine F, Donaldson C, Jones E, Kelly J, Mander A, Murphy C, Pennington M, Pullen A, Redley M, Rowe S, Wason J. Improving outcomes in adults with epilepsy and intellectual disability (EpAID) using a nurse-led intervention: study protocol for a cluster randomised controlled trial. Trials 2016, 17, 297.
- Wason J, Jenkins M. Improving the power of clinical trials of rheumatoid arthritis by using data on continuous scales when analysing response rates: an application of the augmented binary method. Rheumatology 2016, 55(10), 1796-1802.
- Law L, Edirishinghe N, Wason J. Use of an embedded, micro-randomised trial to investigate non-compliance in telehealth interventions. Clinical Trials 2016, 13(4), 417-424.
- Wason J, Jaki T. A review of statistical designs for improving the efficiency of phase II studies in oncology. Statistical Methods in Medical Research 2016, 25(3), 1010-1021.
- Pandit L, Malli C, Singhal B, Wason J, Malik O, Sawcer S, Ban M, DCunha A, Mustafa S. HLA associations in South Asian multiple sclerosis. Multiple Sclerosis Journal 2016, 22(1), 19-24.
- Wason J, Abraham J, Baird R, Gournaris J, Vallier A, Brenton J, Earl H, Mander A. A Bayesian adaptive design for biomarker trials with linked treatments. British Journal of Cancer 2015, 113(5), 699-705.
- Fonagy P, Butler S, Baruch G, Byford S, Seto M, Wason J, Wells C, Greisbach J, Ellison R, Simes E. Evaluation of multisystemic therapy pilot services in Services for Teens Engaging in Problem Sexual Behaviour (STEPS-B): study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 2015, 16, 492.
- Wason J. OptGS – An R package for finding near-optimal group-sequential designs. Journal of Statistical Software 2015, 66(2).
- Gerety E, Lawrence E, Wason J, Yan H, Hilborne S, Buscombe J, Cheow H, Shaw A, Bird N, Fife K, Heard S, Lomas D, Matakidou A, Soloviev D, Eisen T, Gallagher F. Prospective study evaluating the relative sensitivty of 18F-NaF PET/CT for detecting skeletal metastases from renal cell carcinoma in comparison to multidetector CT and 99mTc-MDP bone scintigraphy, using an adaptive trial design. Annals of Oncology 2015, 26(10), 2113-2118.
- Pallmann P, Bedding AW, Choodari-Oskooei B, Dimairo M, Flight L, Hampson LV, Holmes J, Mander AP, Odondi L, Sydes MR, Villar SS, Wason JMS, Weir CJ, Wheeler GM, Yap C, Jaki T. Adaptive designs in clinical trials: why use them, and how to run and report them. BMC Medicine 2018, 16(1), 29.
- Fonagy P, Butler S, Cottrell D, Scott S, Pilling S, Eisler I, Fuggle P, Kraam A, Byford S, Wason J, Ellison R, Simes E, Ganguli P, Allison E, Goodyer I. Multisystemic Therapy versus management as usual in the treatment of adolescent antisocial behaviour (START): a randomised controlled pragmatic effectiveness superiority trial. Lancet Psychiatry 2018, (ePub ahead of print).
- Villar SS, Bowden J, Wason J. Response-adaptive designs for binary responses: How to offer patient benefit while being robust to time trends?. Pharmaceutical Statistics 2018, Epub ahead of print.
- Grayling MJ, Wason JMS, Mander AP. Group sequential designs for stepped-wedge cluster randomised trials. Clinical Trials 2017, 14(5), 507-517.
- Lin C-J, Wason JMS. Improving phase II oncology trials using best observed RECIST response as an endpoint by modelling continuous tumour measurements. Statistics in Medicine 2017, 36(29), 4616-4626.
- Grayling MJ, Wason JMS, Mander AP. Stepped wedge cluster randomized controlled trial designs: A review of reporting quality and design features. Trials 2017, 18, 33.
- Barrett T, Tanner J, Gill AB, Slough RA, Wason J, Gallagher FA. The longitudinal effect of ejaculation on seminal vesicle fluid volume and whole-prostate ADC as measured on prostate MRI. European Radiology 2017, 27(12), 5236-5243.
- Kunz C, Wason J, Kieser M. Two-stage phase II oncology designs using short-term endpoints for early stopping. Statistical Methods in Medical Research 2017, 26(4), 1671-1683.
- Wason J, Magirr D, Law M, Jaki T. Some recommendations for multi-arm multi-stage trials. Statistical Methods in Medical Research 2016, 25(2), 716-727.
- Villar SS, Bowden J, Wason J. Multi-armed bandit models for the optimal design of clinical trials: Benefits and challenges. Statistical Science 2015, 30(2), 199-215.
- Nikolic MZ, Lok LSC, Mattishent K, Barth S, Yung B, Cummings NM, Wade D, Vali Y, Chong K, Wilkinson A, Mikolasch T, Brij S, Jenkins HS, Kamath AV, Pasteur M, Hopkins TG, Wason J, Marciniak SJ. Noninterventional statistical comparison of BTS and CHEST guidelines for size and severity in primary pneumothorax. European Respiratory Journal 2015, 45(6), 1731-1734.
- Villar SS, Wason J, Bowden J. Response-adaptive randomization for multi-arm clinical trials using the forward looking Gittins index rule. Biometrics 2015, 71(4), 969-978.
- Wason JMS, Mander AP. The choice of test in phase II cancer trials assessing continuous tumour shrinkage when complete responses are expected. Statistical Methods in Medical Research 2015, 24(6), 909-919.
- Wason JMS, Dentamaro A, Eisen TG. The power of phase II end-points for different possible mechanisms of action of an experimental treatment. European Journal of Cancer 2015, 51(8), 984-992.
- Wason JMS, Trippa L. A comparison of Bayesian adaptive randomization and multi-stage designs for multi-arm clinical trials. Statistics in Medicine 2014, 33(13), 2206-2221.
- Wason J, Marshall A, Dunn J, Stein RC, Stallard N. Adaptive designs for clinical trials assessing biomarker-guided treatment strategies. British Journal of Cancer 2014, 110(8), 1950-1957.
- Fiddes B, Wason J, Sawcer S. Comment on: Month of birth and risk of multiple sclerosis: confounding and adjustments. Annals of Clinical and Translational Neurology 2014, 1(5), 375-375.
- Fiddes B, Wason J, Sawcer S. Confounding in association studies: Month of birth and multiple sclerosis. Journal of Neurology 2014, 261(10), 1851-1856.
- Wason JMS, Stecher L, Mander AP. Correcting for multiple-testing in multi-arm trials: Is it necessary and is it done?. Trials 2014, 15, 364.
- Law LM, Wason JMS. Design of telehealth trials - Introducing adaptive approaches. International Journal of Medical Informatics 2014, 83(12), 870-880.
- Wason JMS. Recent developments in group-sequential designs. In: Developments in Statistical Evaluation of Clinical Trials. Berlin: Springer, 2014, pp.97-118.
- Mechelli R, Umeton R, Policano C, Annibali V, Coarelli G, Ricigliano VAG, Vittori D, Fornasiero A, Chiara Buscarinu M, International Multiple Sclerosis Genetics Consortium, Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium2, Romano S, Salvetti M, Ristori G. A "Candidate-Interactome" Aggregate Analysis of Genome-Wide Association Data in Multiple Sclerosis. PLoS ONE 2013, 8(5), e63300.
- Fiddes B, Wason J, Kemppinen A, Ban M, Compston A, Sawcer S. Confounding underlies the apparent month of birth effect in multiple sclerosis. Annals of Neurology 2013, 73(6), 714-720.
- Fonagy P, Butler S, Goodyer I, Cottrell D, Scott S, Pilling S, Eisler I, Fuggle P, Kraam A, Byford S, Wason J, Haley R. Evaluation of multisystemic therapy pilot services in the Systemic Therapy for At Risk Teens (START) trial: Study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials 2013, 14, 265.
- Wason JMS, Jaki T, Stallard N. Planning multi-arm screening studies within the context of a drug development program. Statistics in Medicine 2013, 32(20), 3424-3435.
- Wason JMS. Reducing the average number of patients needed in a phase II trial through novel design. Clinical Research and Regulatory Affairs 2013, 30(4), 47-54.
- Dalton LE, Clarke HJ, Knight J, Lawson MH, Wason J, Lomas DA, Howat WJ, Rintoul RC, Rassl DM, Marciniak SJ. The endoplasmic reticulum stress marker CHOP predicts survival in malignant mesothelioma. British Journal of Cancer 2013, 108(6), 1340-1347.
- Wason JMS, Seaman SR. Using continuous data on tumour measurements to improve inference in phase II cancer studies. Statistics in Medicine 2013, 32(26), 4639-4650.
- Wason JMS, Dudbridge F. A General framework for two-stage analysis of genome-wide association studies and its application to case-control studies. American Journal of Human Genetics 2012, 90(5), 760-773.
- Mander AP, Wason JMS, Sweeting MJ, Thompson SG. Admissible two-stage designs for phase II cancer clinical trials that incorporate the expected sample size under the alternative hypothesis. Pharmaceutical Statistics 2012, 11(2), 91-96.
- Bowden J, Wason J. Identifying combined design and analysis procedures in two-stage trials with a binary end point. Statistics in Medicine 2012, 31(29), 3874-3884.
- Wason JMS, Jaki T. Optimal design of multi-arm multi-stage trials. Statistics in Medicine 2012, 31(30), 4269-4279.
- Wason JM, Mander AP, Thompson SG. Optimal multistage designs for randomised clinical trials with continuous outcomes. Statistics in Medicine 2012, 31(4), 301-312.
- Sawcer S, Wason J. Risk in complex genetics: "all models are wrong but some are useful". Annals of Neurology 2012, 72(4), 502-509.
- Wason JMS, Mander AP. Stage phase II clinical trials with continuous outcomes. Journal of Biopharmaceutical Statistics 2012, 22(4), 836-852.
- Rimmer Y, Chester J, Joffe J, Stark D, Shamash J, Powles T, White J, Wason J, Parashar D, Armstrong G, Mazhar D, Williams MV. Accelerated BEP: A phase I trial of dose-dense BEP for intermediate and poor prognosis metastatic germ cell tumour. British Journal of Cancer 2011, 105(6), 766-772.
- The International Multiple Sclerosis Genetics Consortium, The Wellcome Trust Case Control Consortium 2. Genetic risk and a primary role for cell-mediated immune mechanisms in multiple sclerosis. Nature 2011, 476, 214-219.
- Wason JMS, Mander AP, Eisen TG. Reducing sample sizes in two-stage phase II cancer trials by using continuous tumour shrinkage end-points. European Journal of Cancer 2011, 47(7), 983-989.
- Ban M, McCauley JL, Zuvich R, Baker A, Bergamaschi L, Cox M, Kemppinen A, D'Alfonso S, Guerini FR, Lechner-Scott J, Dudbridge F, Wason J, Robertson NP, De Jager PL, Hafler DA, Barcellos LF, Ivinson AJ, Sexton D, Oksenberg JR, Hauser SL, Pericak-Vance MA, Haines J, Compston A, Sawcer S. A non-synonymous SNP within membrane metalloendopeptidase-like 1 (MMEL1) is associated with multiple sclerosis. Genes and Immunity 2010, 11(8), 660-664.
- Wason JMS, Dudbridge F. Comparison of multimarker logistic regression models, with application to a genomewide scan of schizophrenia. BMC Genetics 2010, 11, 80.
- Sawcer S, Ban M, Wason J, Dudbridge F. What role for genetics in the prediction of multiple sclerosis?. Annals of Neurology 2010, 67(1), 3-10.
- Ban M, Goris A, Lorentzen AR, Baker A, Mihalova T, Ingram G, Booth DR, Heard RN, Stewart GJ, Bogaert E, Dubois B, Harbo HF, Celius EG, Spurkland A, Strange R, Hawkins C, Robertson NP, Dudbridge F, Wason J, De Jager PL, Hafler D, Rioux JD, Ivinson AJ, McCauley JL, Pericak-Vance M, Oksenberg JR, Hauser SL, Sexton D, Haines J, Sawcer S, The Wellcome Trust Case-Control Consortium (WTCCC), Compston A. Replication analysis identifies TYK2 as a multiple sclerosis susceptibility factor. European Journal of Human Genetics 2009, 17(10), 1309-1313.