Dr Jill McKay
Lecturer in Molecular Epidemiology
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 2082232
- Address: Institute of Health and Society
Wolfson Childhood Cancer Research Centre,
Level 6, Herschel Building,
I hold a lectureship in Molecular Epidemiologyin the Institute of Health and Society in which my primary research area is childhood cancers. Previously my post-doctoral research focused on the developmental origins of health and disease, with a specific interest in the impact of folate nutrition during pregnancy on long-term health in offspring.
BSc, Medical Microbiology, Newcastle University, 2001
PhD, Modulation of tumourigenesis and DNA methylation in murine intestine by folate depletion, Newcastle University, 2005
May 2005 - July 2006 Newcastle University, Research assistant under the supervision of Prof Dianne Ford
August 2006 – August 2011 Newcastle University, Research associate under the supervision of Prof John Mathers
Prizes and Awards
Young Investigator Award (for submitted abstracts), 6th International Congress on Developmental Origins of Health and Disease, Santiago, Chile November 2009
Second prize; Scientific Communication, 6th European Nutrigenomics Conference, Montecatini, Italy, 2009.
First prize: Scientific Content, 5th European Nutrigenomics Conference, Pots-Dam, Germany, 2008
Second prize: Scientific Communication, 4th European Nutrigenomics Conference, Oslo, Norway, 2007
First prize (Young Investigators Category): 3rd European Nutrigenomics Conference, Oxford, UK, 2006
Elected member of the UK Molecular Epidemiology Group (UKMEG) Committee of the UKEMS since 2012; UKMEG committee chair from 2015
Associate Editor of Frontiers Epigenomics
Peer Reviewer for primary research journals including British Journal of Nutrition, Epigenetics, Carcinogenesis, Genes and Nutrition, Clinical Epigenetics, International Journal of Epidemiology
Session Chair at the 7th European Nutrigenomics Conference, Glasgow, UK, September 2010
Session Chair at the Nutrition Society Summer meeting, Newcastle upon Tyne, July 2013
Session Chair at the UKMEG Winter meeting, Newcastle upon Tyne, December 2013
A principal organiser of the ‘Epigenetics & Developmental Programming Conference’, Newcastle, 21-22nd March 2011
NuGO (Nutrogenomics Organisation)
My research interests lie within the field of molecular epidemiology, which a strong focus on childhood cancers and include the following areas;-
Developmental origins of health and disease i.e. investigation of environmental influences which may predispose to disease
Impact of cancer incidence and treatment on long term health and disease in patients
Molecular markers of relapse and chemoresistance in childhood cancer
I am principle investigator and co-investigator on a number of research projects.
Newcastle Healthcare Charity - ‘Influence of Folate Intake During Development and Early Life on Epigenetic Aberrations Associated with Childhood Acute Lymphoblastic Leukaemia’, PI Jill McKay, CoI’s Gordon Strathdee, Anthony Moorman, (2012-2013), £13034
Newcastle University Faculty of Medical Sciences Strategic Committee, Wellcome Trust Institutional Strategic Support Fund Project – ‘Influence of non-ionising radiation on epigenetic marks’, PIs Jill McKay, Mark Pearce, Graeme Chester (2012-13), £800 funding supplied to manufacture coil to generate EMF.
Newcastle University Faculty of Medical Sciences Strategic Committee, Wellcome Trust Institutional Strategic Support Fund Project - Effect of chemotherapy on DNA methylation. PIs Jill McKay, Shet Biswas (2012-13), £3084.
Newcastle University, Institute of Health & Society funded PhD Studentship (Student - Jessica Timms) – ‘DNA methylation as a mediator of early life exposures on risk of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemia’ PI Jill McKay CoI’s Gordon Strathdee, Judith Rankin, Caroline Relton (2013-2016)
Newcastle Healthcare Charity – ‘DNA methylation changes following radiation exposure in patients undergoing fluoroscopic cardiology procedures’, PIs Mark Pearce, Jill McKay (2014-2016), £16098
Rank Prize Fund Vacation Studentship – ‘DNA methylation as a mediating mechanism in the development of neurotoxicity in response to methotrexate treatment’ PI Jill McKay, CoI Victoria Forster (2015), £1800
JGW Patterson Foundation – ‘Early initiating events in childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemia: Exploring the role of DNA methylation’ PI Jill McKay, CoI’s Gordon Strathdee, Mark Pearce, (2015-2016) £23639
BBSRC PhD Studentship through internal competition (Newcastle/Durham/Liverpool University Doctoral Partnership Training Scheme) (Student - Natassia Robinson)– ‘DNA methylation as a mediating mechanism linking early-life events and subsequent obesity: finding intermediate biomarkers of obesogenic environments’ PI Jill McKay & Heather Brown Co-I’s Mark Pearce and Ameila Lake, (2015-2019) Funding covers 4 years stipend, student fees and consumables (£5000/annum).
NECCR Core Funding for Paediatric Oncology/Epidemiology 2015-2016, PI Richard McNally, CoI Jill McKay (£150000)
MBBS personal tutor
MRes Clinical Epidemiology Module - Genetic and Epigenetic Epidemiology
MRes Diabetes Module - Genetic and Epigenetic Epidemiology
MRes and MSc Project Supervisor
Nutritional Epidemiology for FHN degree course
Genetic and Epigenetic Epidemiology for Epidemiology Module
FHN and BMS dissertation project supervision
Summer student supervision
MBBS, BMS marking
- Forster VJ, McDonnell A, Theobald R, McKay JA. Effect of methotrexate/Vitamin B12 on DNA methylation as a potential factor in leukemia treatment-related neurotoxicity. Epigenomics 2017, 9(9), 1205-1218.
- McKay JA, Xie L, Adriaens M, Evelo CT, Ford D, Mathers JC. Maternal folate depletion during early development and high fat feeding from weaning elicit similar changes in gene expression, but not in DNA methylation, in adult offspring. Molecular Nutrition and Food Research 2017, 61(4), 1600713.
- Timms JA, Relton CL, Rankin J, Strathdee G, McKay JA. DNA methylation as a potential mediator of environmental risks in the development of childhood acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. Epigenomics 2016, 8(4), 519-536.
- McKay JA, Adriaens M, Evelo CT, Ford D, Mathers JC. Gene promoter DNA methylation patterns have a limited role in orchestrating transcriptional changes in the fetal liver in response to maternal folate depletion during pregnancy. Molecular Nutrition and Food Research 2016, 60(9), 2031–2042.
- McKay JA, Mathers JC. Maternal folate deficiency and metabolic dysfunction in offspring. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 2016, 7(1), 90-95.
- McKay JA, Xie L, Adriaens M, Evelo CT, Ford D, Mathers JC. Organ-specific gene expression changes in the fetal liver and placenta in response to maternal folate depletion. Nutrients 2016, 8(10), 661.
- Kumar L, Michalczyk A, Mckay J, Ford D, Kambe T, Hudek L, Varigios G, Taylor PE, Ackland ML. Altered expression of two zinc transporters, SLC30A5 and SLC30A6, underlies a mammary gland disorder of reduced zinc secretion into milk. Genes and Nutrition 2015, 10(5), 38.
- McNally R, Reeves R, James P, Basta N, McKay J, Dorak T. Correlations of incidence rates of Hodgkin lymphoma subtypes in children and young adults with age, sex and deprivation. In: European Cancer Congress 2015. 2015, Vienna, Austria: Elsevier.
- McKay JA, Wakeling LA. Nutrition, epigenetics and ageing. In: Deliminda Neves, ed. Anti-Ageing Nutrients Evidence-Based Prevention of Age-Associated Diseases. Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd, 2015, pp.133-147.
- Wakeling LA, Ions LJ, Escolme SM, Cockell SJ, Su T, Dey M, Hampton EV, Jenkins G, Wainwright LJ, McKay JA, Ford D. SIRI1 effects DNA methylation of polycomb protein target genes, a hotspot of the epigenetic shift observed in ageing. Human Genomics 2015, 9, 14.
- McKay JA, Xie L, Manus C, Langie SAS, Maxwell RJ, Ford D, Mathers JC. Metabolic effects of a high-fat diet post-weaning after low maternal dietary folate during pregnancy and lactation. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research 2014, 58(5), 1087-1097.
- Wong YK, McKay JA, Xie L, Ford D, Mathers JC. Effects of folate depletion in utero and a high fat diet post-weaning on DNA methylation in the adult mouse small intestine. In: Nutrition Society Annual Summer Meeting. 2013, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Potter C, McKay J, Groom A, Ford D, Coneyworth L, Mathers JC, Relton CL. Influence of DNMT Genotype on Global and Site Specific DNA Methylation Patterns in Neonates and Pregnant Women. PLoS ONE 2013, 8(10), e76506.
- Langie SAS, Achterfeldt S, Gorniak JP, Halley-Hogg KJA, Oxley D, van Schooten FJ, Godschalk RWL, McKay JA, Mathers JC. Maternal folate depletion and high-fat feeding from weaning affects DNA methylation and DNA repair in brain of adult offspring. FASEB Journal 2013, 27(8), 3323-3334.
- Kilcourse E, McKay J, Willis N, Mathers JC. Promoter methylation of zinc transporter genes in the ageing human bowel. In: Annual Meeting of the Society of Academic and Research Surgery. 2013, London, UK: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Kilcourse E, McKay J, Willis N, Mathers JC. Promoter methylation of zinc transporter genes in the ageing human bowel. British Journal of Surgery 2013, 100(Suppl. 4), 11-11.
- McKay JA, Groom A, Potter C, Coneyworth LJ, Ford D, Mathers JC, Relton CL. Genetic and Non-Genetic Influences during Pregnancy on Infant Global and Site Specific DNA Methylation: Role for Folate Gene Variants and Vitamin B12. PLoS One 2012, 7(3), e33290.
- McKay JA, Xie L, Harris S, Wong YK, Ford D, Mathers JC. Blood as a surrogate marker for tissue-specific DNA methylation and changes due to folate depletion in post-partum female mice. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research 2011, 55(7), 1026-1035.
- Mckay JA, Adriaens M, Xie L, Manus C, Evelo CT, Ford D, Mathers JC. Consequences of Folate Depletion during Development and High Fat Intake from Weaning on Adiposity, Gene Expression and DNA Methylation in Adult Mice. In: Journal of Developmental Origins of Health and Disease: 7th World Congress on Developmental Origins of Health and Disease. 2011, Portland, Oregon, USA: Cambridge University Press.
- McKay JA, Ford D, Relton CL, Evelo CT, Adriaens M, Mathers JC. Consequences of Folate Depletion during Development for DNA Methylation and Gene Expression in the Fetal Mouse. In: Journal of Developmental Origins of Health and Disease: 7th World Congress on Developmental Origins of Health and Disease. 2011, Portland, Oregon, USA: Cambridge University Press.
- Mckay JA, Mathers JC. Diet induced epigenetic changes and their implications for health. Acta Physiologica 2011, 202(2), 103-118.
- McKay JA, Williams EA, Mathers JC. Effect of maternal and post weaning folate supply on gene-specific DNA methylation in the small intestine of weaning and adult Apc+/Min and wild type mice. Frontiers in Epigenomics 2011, 2, 23.
- McKay JA, Adriaens M, Xie L, Evelo CT, Relton CL, Ford D, Mathers JC. Folate Depletion during Development Causes Gene Expression Changes in Fetal and Adult Mouse Liver. In: Journal of Developmental Origins of Health and Disease: 7th World Congress on Developmental Origins of Health and Disease. 2011, Portland, Oregon, USA: Cambridge University Press.
- McKay JA, Wong YK, Relton CL, Ford D, Mathers JC. Maternal folate supply and sex influence gene-specific DNA methylation in the fetal gut. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research 2011, 55(11), 1717-1723.
- Palou M, Picó C, McKay JA, Sánchez J, Priego T, Mathers JC, Palou A. Protective effects of leptin during the suckling period against later obesity may be associated with changes in promoter methylation of the hypothalamic pro-opiomelanocortin gene. British Journal of Nutrition 2011, 106(5), 769-778.
- McKay J, Waltham K, Williams E, Mathers J. Folate depletion during pregnancy and lactation reduces genomic DNA methylation in murine adult offspring. Genes and Nutrition 2010, 6(2), 189-196.
- Jackson KA, Valentine RA, Mckay JA, Swan DC, Mathers JC, Ford D. Analysis of differential gene-regulatory responses to zinc in human intestinal and placental cell lines. British Journal of Nutrition 2009, 101(10), 1474-1483.
- Relton CL, Groom A, Elliott HR, McConnell JC, McKay JA, Pearce MS, Davey Smith G, Mathers JC. Epigenetic Epidemiology: Evidence for the Role of Epigenetic Variation in Complex Disease. In: 19th International Congress of Nutrition. 2009, Bangkok, Thailand: Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism: S. Karger AG.
- Mathers JC, Mckay JA. Epigenetics - Potential Contribution to Fetal Programming. In: Early Nutrition Programming and Health Outcomes in Later Life: Obesity and Beyond. 2009, Dordrecht, Netherlands: Springer.
- Mckay JA, Adriaens ME, Ford D, Relton CL, Evelo CTA, Mathers JC. Bioinformatic interrogation of expression array data to identify nutritionally regulated genes potentially modulated by DNA methylation. Genes & Nutrition 2008, 3(3-4), 167-171.
- McKay JA, Williams EA, Mathers JC. Gender-specific modulation of tumorigenesis by folic acid supply in the Apc+/Min mouse during early neonatal life. British Journal of Nutrition 2008, 99(3), 550-558.
- Groom A, Relton CL, Mckay JA, Steedman L, Mathers JC, Taytor P, Poston L. DNA methylation status at the Igf2 locus in offspring of a mouse model of maternal diet-induced obesity. In: Early Human Development. 2007, Perth, Western Australia: Elsevier Ireland Ltd.
- Mckay JA, Helston RM, Philips SR, Relton CL, Ford D, Mathers JC. Effects of dietary zinc supply during pregnancy on foetal liver DNA methylation of the insulin-like growth factor 2 (Igf2) gene in C57BL/J6 mice. Early Human Development 2007, 83, S168.
- Relton CL, Groom A, Mckay JA, Ford D, Mathers JC. Polymorphic variation in DNA methyltransferase genes in relation to birth weight, smoking and folate status. Early Human Development 2007, 83, S99-S99.
- Jackson KA, Helston RM, McKay JA, O'Neill ED, Mathers JC, Ford D. Splice variants of the human zinc transporter ZnT5 (SLC30A5) are differentially localized and regulated by zinc through transcription and mRNA stability. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2007, 282(14), 10423-10431.
- Helston RM, Phillips SR, McKay JA, Jackson KA, Mathers JC, Ford D. Zinc Transporters in the Mouse Placenta Show a Coordinated Regulatory Response to Changes in Dietary Zinc Intake. Placenta 2007, 28(5-6), 437-444.
- McKay JA, Russi RM, Philips SR, Mathers JC, Ford D. Effects of dietary zinc during pregnancy upon placental insulin-like growth factor 2 mRNA expression in C57BL/J6 mice. In: Proceedings of the Nutrition Society. 2006, Aberdeen, Scotland: Cambridge University Press.
- McKay JA, Williams EA, Mathers JC. Folate and DNA methylation during in utero development and aging. Biochemical Society Transactions 2004, 32(6), 1006-1007.