Emeritus Professor Jimmy Steele CBE
Head of School and Professor of Oral Health Services Research
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8199
- Address: Restorative Dentistry
School of Dental Sciences
Newcastle upon Tyne
General Dentistry including dental services, the effectiveness of routine dental techniques and teeth and the quality of life.
The dental health of the population of the UK; trends in oral health and dentistry; predicting future trends.
Preventive dentistry and does prevention (from tooth cleaning to fluoride) work?
Jaw joint problems - Temporomandibular Dysfuntion (TMD): what is it and why do so many people get it?
Roles and Responsibilities
Three main areas:
1. National epidemiology of oral disease, both children and (particularly) adults
2. Measuring oral health using both clinical and non-clinical measures
3. The effectiveness of oral care, including barriers to effective care.
1. Nutrition and oral health, specifically the impact of tooth loss on diet amongst older adults.
2. The lifetime determinants of oral health in older adults, including social determinants of health
In no particular order:
1. Working to develop a primary care base for research in oral health and oral health services, including clinical trials (eg in sedation and endodontics) and other areas of health services research.
2. The 2003 Children's Dental Health Survey
3. The impacts of oral health on quality of life amongst adults, including the behaviour of the Oral Health Impact Profile at different ages and with clinical condition
4. Developing new outcome measures for Temporo-mandibular Dysfunction
5. Using Social Marketing to improve oral health in patients with valvular heart disease.
Member of the School research committee and facilitator of the "Effectiveness of Oral Care Group" in the School of dental sciences.
My role is mostly overseeing a range of projects or working with collaborators in other areas, and as a supervisor of other researchers
2 MPhil Students
2 PhD students
Vice Chair of the Geriatric Oral Research Group of IADR
Editorial Board of the Journal of Dental Research
£402 K from the NHS for an NHS Primary care clinican scientist training fellowship to establish a firm research base for a dental researcher in primary care
£72 K from the Department of Health for the Childrens dental Health survey
I teach in all 5 years of the Undergraduate Course, with major administrative responsibilities in year 1 (Introduction to Dentistry), Year 3 (Introduction to the Clinic) and year 4 (Crown and Bridge course). I also teach clinical restorative dentistry at various points in the curriculum and have significant responsibilities in teaching both Public Health and Gerodontology.
I undertake a small amount of teaching on the MSc course in Restorative Dentistry. I also teach on the Sedation Diploma course and provide a small number of postgraduate courses in various areas of restorative dentistry , including occlusion and adhesive bridgework
- Tsakos G, Guarnizo-Herreño CG, O'Connor R, Wildman J, Steele JG, Finbarr-Allen P. Explaining time changes in oral health-related quality of life in England: a decomposition analysis. Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Durham J, Shen J, Breckons M, Steele JG, Araujo-Soares V, Exley C, Vale L. Healthcare Cost and Impact of Persistent Orofacial Pain: The DEEP Study Cohort. Journal of Dental Research 2016, 95(10), 1147-1154.
- Story WP, Durham J, Al-Baghdadi M, Steele J, Araujo-Soares V. Self-management in temporomandibular disorders: a systematic review of behavioural components. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 2016, 43(10), 759-770.
- Durham J, Al-Baghdadi M, Baad-Hansen L, Breckons M, Goulet JP, Lobbezoo F, List T, Michelotti A, Nixdorf DR, Peck CC, Raphael K, Schiffman E, Steele JG, Story W, Ohrbach R. Self-management programmes in TMD: results from an international Delphi process. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 2016, 43(12), 929-936.
- Ravaghi V, Holmes RD, Steele JG, Tsakos G. The impact of oral conditions on children in England, Wales and Northern Ireland 2013. British Dental Journal 2016, 221(4), 173-178.
- Wassell RW, Naru A, Steele JG, Nohl F. Applied Occlusion 2nd Edition. Quintessence Publishing Co. Ltd, 2015.
- Steele J, White D, Rolland S, Fuller E. Children’s Dental Health Survey 2013. Report 4: The Burden of Dental Disease in Children England, Wales and Northern Ireland. Leeds: Health and Social Care Information Centre, 2015. 4.
- Durham J, Steele JG, Breckons M, Story W, Vale L. DEEP Study: does EQ-5D-5L measure the impacts of persistent oro-facial pain?. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 2015, 42(9), 643-650.
- Vernazza CR, Steele JG, Whitworth JM, Wildman JR, Donaldson C. Factors affecting direction and strength of patient preferences for treatment of molar teeth with non-vital pulps. International Endodontic Journal 2015, 48(12), 1137-1146.
- Vernazza CR, Wildman JR, Steele JG, Whitworth JM, Walls AWG, Perry R, Matthews R, Hahn P, Donaldson C. Factors affecting patient valuations of caries prevention: using and validating the willingness to pay method. Journal of Dentistry 2015, 43(8), 981-988.
- Vernazza CR, Rousseau N, Steele JG, Ellis JS, Thomason JM, Eastham J, Exley C. Introducing high-cost health care to patients: dentists' accounts of offering dental implant treatment. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 2015, 43(1), 75-85.
- Holmes RD, Steele JG, Donaldson C, Exley C. Learning from contract change in primary care dentistry: A qualitative study of stakeholders in the north of England. Health Policy 2015, 119(9), 1218-1225.
- Yule PL, Durham J, Playford H, Moufti MA, Steele J, Steen N, Wassell RW, Ohrbach R. OHIP-TMDs: a patient-reported outcome measure for temporomandibular disorders. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 2015, 43(5), 461-470.
- Durham J, Breckons M, Araujo-Soares V, Exley C, Steele J, Vale L. Developing Effective and Efficient care pathways in chronic Pain: DEEP study protocol. BMC Oral Health 2014, 14, 6.
- Manfredini D, Al-Baghdadi M, Durham J, Araujo-Soares V, Robalino S, Errington L, Steele J. No significant differences between conservative interventions and surgical interventions for TMJ disc displacement without reduction. Evidence-Based Dentistry 2014, 153(3), 90-91.
- Green RA, Exley C, Steele JG, Thomson PJ. Patients understanding of the unknown: oral precancer. In: Journal of Dental Research. 2014.
- Guarnizo-Herreño GC, Watt RG, Fuller E, Steele JG, Shen J, Morris S, Wildman J, Tsakos G. Socioeconomic position and subjective oral health: findings for the adult population in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. BMC Public Health 2014, 14, 827.
- Steele J, Shen J, Tsakos G, Fuller E, Morris S, Watt R, Guarnizo-Herreño C, Wildman J. The Interplay between Socioeconomic Inequalities and Clinical Oral Health. Journal of Dental Research 2014.
- Al-Baghdadi M, Durham J, Steele J. Timing interventions in relation to temporomandibular joint closed lock duration: a systematic review of 'locking duration'. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 2014, 41(1), 24-58.
- Al-Bagdadi MKS, Durham J, Araujo-Soares V, Robalino S, Errington L, Steele J. TMJ disc displacement without reduction management: a systematic review. Journal of Dental Research 2014, 93(7), 37S-51S.
- Watt RG, Steele JG, Treasure ET, White DA, Pitts NB, Murray JJ. Adult Dental Health Survey 2009: implications of findings for clinical practice and oral health policy. British Dental Journal 2013, 214(2), 71-75.
- Clarkson JE, Ramsay CR, Averley P, Bonetti D, Boyers D, Campbell L, Chadwick GR, Duncan A, Elders A, Gouick J, Hall AF, Heasman L, Heasman PA, Hodge PJ, Jones C, Laird M, Lamont TJ, Lovelock LA, Madden I, McCombes W, McCracken GI, McDonald AM, McPherson G, Macpherson LE, Mitchell FE, Norrie JDT, Pitts NB, van der Pol M, Ricketts DNJ, Ross MK, Steele JG, Swan M, Tickle M, Watt PD, Worthington HV, Young L. IQuaD dental trial; improving the quality of dentistry: a multicentre randomised controlled trial comparing oral hygiene advice and periodontal instrumentation for the prevention and management of periodontal disease in dentate adults attending dental primary care. BMC Oral Health 2013, 13, 58.
- Shen J, Wildman J, Steele J. Measuring and decomposing oral health inequalities in an UK population. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 2013, 41(6), 481-489.
- Tsakos G, Allen PF, Steele JG. What has oral health related quality of life ever done for us?. Community Dental Health 2013, 30(2), 66-67.
- Rousseau N, Steele J, May C, Exley C. 'Your whole life is lived through your teeth': biographical disruption and experiences of tooth loss and replacement. Sociology of Health and Illness 2013, 36(3), 462-476.
- White DA, Tsakos G, Pitts NB, Fuller E, Douglas GVA, Murray JJ, Steele JG. Adult Dental Health Survey 2009: common oral health conditions and their impact on the population. British Dental Journal 2012, 213(11), 567-572.
- Steele JG, Treasure ET, O'Sullivan I, Morris J, Murray JJ. Adult Dental Health Survey 2009: transformations in British oral health 1968-2009. British Dental Journal 2012, 213(10), 523-527.
- Exley C, Rousseau N, Donaldson C, Steele JG. Beyond price: individuals' accounts of deciding to pay for private healthcare treatment in the UK. BMC Health Services Research 2012, 12(1), 53.
- Beattie A, Durham J, Harvey J, Steele J, McHanwell S. Does empathy change in first year dental students?. European Journal of Dental Education 2012, 16(1), e111-e116.
- Beattie A, Durham J, Harvey J, Steele J, McHanwell S. Does empathy change in first year dental students? European Journal of Dental Education. European Journal of Dental Education 2012, 16(1), E111- E116.
- Pearce MS, Mann KD, Relton CL, Francis RM, Steele JG, Craft AW, Parker L. How the Newcastle Thousand Families birth cohort study has contributed to the understanding of the impact of birth weight and early life socioeconomic position on disease in later life. Maturitas 2012, 72(1), 23-28.
- Tsakos G, Allen PF, Steele JG, Locker D. Interpreting oral health-related quality of life data. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 2012, 40(3), 193-200.
- Steele J. The future for oral health surveillance. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 2012, 40(s2), 75-81.
- Renton T, Bagg J, Robinson PG, Steele J. Want to do clinical research? Changes in the NHS mean there's never been a better time. BDJ 2012, 213(3), 105-109.
- Durham J, Steele JG, Wassell RW, Exley C, Meechan JG, Allen PF, Moufti AM. Creating a patient based condition-specific outcome measure for Temporomandibular Disorders (TMDs): Oral Health Impact Profile for TMDs (OHIP-TMDs). Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 2011, 38(12), 871-883.
- McCracken GI, Steen N, Maguire J, Gibson GJ, Wilson JA, Steele JG. Re: Randomised cross-over study of oral appliances for snoring: a study-design note Response. Clinical Otolaryngology 2011, 36(1), 92-93.
- Moufti MA, Wassell RW, Meechan JG, Allen PF, John MT, Steele JG. The Oral Health Impact Profile: ranking of items for temporomandibular disorders. European Journal of Oral Sciences 2011, 119(2), 169-174.
- Green R, Thomson PJ, Exley C, Steele JG. Understanding the transition from primary to secondary care: experiences of patients with oral precancer. In: British Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Annual Scientific Meeting. 2011, Nice, France: Churchill Livingstone.
- Green R, Exley C, Thomson PJ, Steele JG. Understanding patient views and experience of oral precancer. In: International Association for Dental Research General Session (IADR 2010). 2010, Barcelona, Spain: Sage Publications, Inc.
- John MT, Reissmann DR, Szentpetery A, Steele J. An Approach to Define Clinical Significance in Prosthodontics. Journal of Prosthodontics: implant, esthetic, and reconstructive dentistry 2009, 18(5), 455-460.
- Wassell RW, Naru A, Steele J, Nohl F. Applied occlusion. London: Quintessence Books, 2008.
- Jameson K, Averley PA, Shackley P, Steele JG. A comparison of the ‘cost per child treated’ at a primary care-based sedation referral service, compared to a general anaesthetic in hospital. British Dental Journal 2007, 203(6), E13.
- Bower E, Gulliford M, Steele J, Newton T. Area deprivation and oral health in Scottish adults: A multilevel study. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 2007, 35(2), 118-129.
- John MT, Szentpetery A, Steele JG. Association between factors related to the time of wearing complete dentures and oral health-related quality of life in patients who maintained a recall. International Journal of Prosthodontics 2007, 20(1), 31-36.
- Durham JA, Exley C, Wassell R, Steele JG. 'Management is a black art' - professional ideologies with respect to temporomandibular disorders. British Dental Journal 2007, 202(11), -.
- Nuttall NM, Slade GD, Sanders AE, Steele JG, Allen PF, Lahti S. An empirically derived population-response model of the short form of the Oral Health Impact Profile. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 2006, 34(1), 18-24.
- Tsakos G, Steele JG, Marcenes W, Walls AWG, Sheiham A. Clinical correlates of oral health-related quality of life: Evidence from a national sample of British older people. European Journal of Oral Sciences 2006, 114(5), 391-395.
- Mason J, Pearce MS, Walls AWG, Parker L, Steele JG. How do factors at different stages of the lifecourse contribute to oral-health-related quality of life in middle age for men and women?. Journal of Dental Research 2006, 85(3), 257-261.
- Pearce MS, Steele JG, Campbell DI, Thomas JE. Tooth loss and Helicobacter pylori seropositivity: The Newcastle Thousand Families cohort study at age 49-51 years. Helicobacter 2005, 10(1), 90-94.
- Averley PA, Girdler NM, Bond S, Steen N, Steele J. A randomised controlled trial of paediatric conscious sedation for dental treatment using intravenous midazolam combined with inhaled nitrous oxide or nitrous oxide/sevoflurane. Anaesthesia 2004, 59(9), 844-852.
- Pearce MS, Steele JG, Mason J, Walls AWG, Parker L. Do circumstances in early life contribute to tooth retention in middle age?. Journal of Dental Research 2004, 83(7), 562-566.
- Steele JG, Sanders AE, Slade GD, Allen PF, Lahti S, Nuttall N, Spencer AJ. How do age and tooth loss affect oral health impacts and quality of life? a study comparing two national samples. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 2004, 32(2), 107-114.
- Dhaliwal JS, Steele JG, Sheiham A, Walls AWG, Marcenes W, Moynihan P. [abstract] Does tooth loss affect fruit and vegetable intake in older people?. Journal of Dental Research 2003, 82(special issue B), B267.
- Harju P, Lahti S, Slade GD, Steele JG, Sanders AE, Allen PF, Nuttall NM, Hausen H. [abstract] Effects of age and edentulism on subjective oral health in three populations. Journal of Dental Research 2003, 82(special issue B), B167.
- Lowry R, Steele J. Adult dental health treatment costs reduced by water fluoridation. In: UKPHA Annual Public Health Forum. 2003, Cardiff, UK.
- Lowry R, Steele J. Adult dental treatment costs greatly reduced by water fluoridation. In: UKPHA Annual Public Health Forum. 2003, Cardiff, UK.
- Seymour RA, Preshaw PM, Thomason JM, Ellis JS, Steele JG. Cardiovascular diseases and periodontology. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2003, 30(4), 279-292.
- Slade GD, Allen PF, Sanders AE, Steele JG, Nuttall NM. Influence of occupational prestige, income, and education on subjective oral health. Journal of Dental Research 2003, 82(special issue B), B168 abstract no. 1247.
- Allen PF, Nuttall NM, Slade GD, Sanders AE, Steele JG. Influence of social class on the impact of tooth loss on subjective oral health. Journal of Dental Research 2003, 82(special issue B), B168 abstract no. 1247.
- Wassell RW, Walls AWG, Steele JG, Nohl F. A Clinical Guide to Crowns and Other Extra-coronal Restorations. London: British Dental Journal, 2002.
- Jepson NJ, McColl E, Swift B, Steele JG. Barriers and attitudes to the use of resin-bonded bridges. Journal of Dental Research 2002, 81(special issue 1), A183 abstract no. 1333.
- Steele JG, Wassell RW, Walls AWG. Changing patterns and the need for quality. British Dental Journal 2002, 192(3), 144-148.
- Nohl FS, Steele JG, Wassell RW. Crowns and other extra-coronal restorations: Aesthetic control. British Dental Journal 2002, 192(8), 443-450.
- Steele JG, Nohl FS, Wassell RW. Crowns and other extra-coronal restorations: Occlusal considerations and articulator selection. British Dental Journal 2002, 192(7), 377-387.
- Slade GD, Nuttall NM, Sanders AE, Lahti S, Steele JG, Allen PF. Frequency of oral health impacts in three industrialized countries. Journal of Dental Research 2002, 81(special issue 1), A136 abstract no. 0928.
- Swift B, Jepson NJA, McColl E, Steele JG, Steen IN. Interventions for replacing missing teeth: resin-bonded bridges and other restorations for the replacement of adult teeth (protocol for a Cochrane review). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2002, (3). Submitted.
- Seymour RA, Preshaw PM, Steele JG. Oral health and heart disease. Primary Dental Care 2002, 9(4), 125-131.
- Steele JG, McColl EMM, Jepson NJ, Swift B. Resin-bonded bridges and best practice in primary dental care. Journal of Dental Research 2002, 81(special issue 1), A183 abstract no. 1332.
- Sheiham A, Steele JG, Marcenes W, Finch S, Walls AWG. The relationship between oral health status and Body Mass Index among older people: A national survey of older people in Great Britain. British Dental Journal 2002, 192(12), 703-706.
- Nuttall NM, Slade GD, Sanders AE, Allen PF, Steele JG, Lahti S. The validity of Locker's conceptual model of oral health. Journal of Dental Research 2002, 81(special issue 1), A137 abstract no. 0930.
- Bradley M, Casson K, Cullen J, Millar J, Steele J. Barriers to dental attendance of elderly adults in the NHSSB, NI. In: British Society for Dental Research & Irish Division: Joint Meeting. 2001, Belfast, UK: Sage Publications, Inc.
- Steele JG, Sheiham A, Marcenes W, Fay N, Walls AW. Clinical and behavioural risk indicators for root caries in older people. Gerodontology 2001, 18(2), 95-101.
- Pine CM, Pitts NB, Steele JG, Nunn JN, Treasure E. Dental restorations in adults in the UK in 1998 and implications for the future. British Dental Journal 2001, 190(1), 4-8.
- Sheiham A, Steele J. Does the condition of the mouth and teeth affect the ability to eat certain foods, nutrient and dietary intake and nutritional status amongst older people?. Public Health Nutrition 2001, 4(3), 797-803.
- Steele JG, Jepson NJ, McColl E, Swift B. Finding ways to improve the effectiveness of resin-bonded bridges in primary dental care. Newcastle upon Tyne: University of Newcastle Centre for Health Services Research, 2001. CHSR Report 107 107.
- Walls AWG, Steele JG. Geriatric oral health issues in the United Kingdom. International Dental Journal 2001, 51(3), 183-187.
- Nuttall NM, Steele JG, Pine CM, White D, Pitts NB. The impact of oral health on people in the UK in 1998. British Dental Journal 2001, 190(3), 121-126.
- Sheiham A, Steele JG, Marcenes W, Lowe C, Finch S, Bates CJ, Prentice A, Walls AWG. The relationship among dental status, nutrient intake, and nutritional status in older people. Journal of Dental Research 2001, 80(2), 408-413.
- Steele JG, Nunn JH, Kelly M, Nuttall N. Adult Dental Health Survey. Oral health in the United Kingdom. The Stationery Office 2000, 577.
- Nunn J, Morris J, Pine C, Pitts NB, Bradnock G, Steele J. Adult dental health survey: The condition of teeth in the UK in 1998 and implications for the future. British Dental Journal 2000, 189(12), 639-644.
- Steele JG, Treasure E, Pitts NB, Morris J, Bradnock G. Adult dental health survey: Total tooth loss in the United Kingdom in 1998 and implications for the future. British Dental Journal 2000, 189(11), 598-603.
- Walls AWG, Steele JG, Shieham A, Marcenes W. Dental status and general health in a population of older adults from the UK. Journal of Dental Research 2000, 79(1), 253-253.
- Walls AWG, Silver PT, Steele JG. Impact of treatment provision on the epidemiological recording of root caries. European Journal of Oral Sciences 2000, 108(1), 3-8.
- Whitworth JM, Seccombe GV, Shoker K, Steele JG. Use of rubber dam and irrigant selection in UK general dental practice. International Endodontic Journal 2000, 33(5), 436-441.
- Steele JG, Walls AWG. Using partial recording to assess tooth wear in older adults. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 2000, 28(1), 18-25.
- Steele JG, Sheiham A, Marcenes W, Walls AWG. Diet and nutrition in Great Britain. Gerodontology 1999, 15(2), 99-106.
- Bushby KMD, Hill A, Steele JG. Failure of early diagnosis in symptomatic Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Lancet 1999, 353(9152), 557-558.
- Fannibunda K, Steele JG, Whitworth JM. Gutta percha extrusion into the inferior alveolar canal. BDJ 1999, 184, 330-332.
- Ellis JS, Seymour RA, Steele JG, Robertson P, Butler TJ, Thomason JM. Prevalence of gingival overgrowth induced by calcium channel blockers: A community-based study. Journal of Periodontology 1999, 70(1), 63-67.
- Steele JG, Walls AW, Sheiham A, Marcenes W. The impact of oral health on stated ability to eat certain foods; findings from the national diet and nutrition survey of older people in Great Britain. Gerodontology 1999, 16(1), 11-20.
- Steele JG, Walls AW and Murray JJ. Partial dentures as an independent indicator of root caries risk in a group of older adults. Gerodontology 1997, 14, 67-74.