Dr Joanne Lally
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6791
- Address: Institute of Health and Society
Baddiley Clark Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
My research background is in healthcare quality improvement using both clinical audit and comparative quality indicators.
My PhD, which was funded by the Medical Research Council focussed on shared decision making (SDM). The PhD identified what decisions women made during pregnancy and labour and how they could best be supported in the decision making process.
A recent secondment opportunity was as the Shared Decision Making Programme Lead for the Newcastle upon Tyne NHS Foundation Hospitals Trust. This role was concerned with implementing Shared Decision Making across the organisation, providing a resource for both patients and staff.
Although the majority of my recent work has used a qualitative approach, I am also experienced quantitative researcher.
I am a member of
Senior Research Associate and Patient and Public Lead for NIHR RDS-NE
2011 - PhD, University of Newcastle
2000 - MSc Health Sciences (Public Health ), University of Newcastle
1990 - BA(Hons) University of Liverpool
SDM Programme Lead - Newcastle upon Tyne NHS Foundation Hospitals Trust
MRC Research Fellow - Decision making in pregnancy - the exaple of pain relief in labour
UK Quality Indicator Project (QIP) co-ordinator (Dept of Population and Health Sciences)
The main focus of my work is on patient experience and involvement in research, in a variety of settings including transplant, shared decision making and stroke medicine.
Decision making in health care, in areas where the decision and the action are separated by time or place. I have an interest in how patients make decisions, how their values affect their choices and what we can do to support them in the decision making process.
I am also interested in the impact of context on decision making in healthcare. The setting, the urgency, the involvement of others, all play an important role in the decision made which is not yet fully understood.
I am interested in how we can use comparative quality indicators to assess the quality of acute care
Research methodologist and PPI Lead for NIHR RDS-NE
Promoting Effective And Rapid Stroke Care (PEARS) - Starting May 2014
NIHR Health Technology Assessment DEVELOP UK A study of donor ex-vivo lung perfusion in UK Lung Transplantation - Research Associate
Pre-Conception Care for Diabetic Women.
I was invited as commentator for the Drug and Therapeutics Bulletin " An Introduction to Patient Decision Aids", Augst 2012
Peer Reviewer - Journal Articles: British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Patient Education and Couselling, Archives of Disease in Childhood.
Abstract Reviewer for International Shared Decision Making Conference 2013
Public Health Tutor and Rotation co-ordinator for 3rd year MBBS students on the EJR Public Health.
Tutor on 'Medicine in the Community' course for Stage 1 and 2, MBBS students
Delivered sessions on the MSc in Health Sciences in the IHS in the quality of care module.
Delivered sessions on telephone interviewing on http://www.ncl.ac.uk/ihs/study/cpd/
Post graduate Supervision
2013: Amelia Woolley, MSc Health Services Research
2014: Michelle Bardgett, Masters in Clinical Research
- Flynn D, Francis R, Robalino S, Lally J, Snooks H, Rodgers H, McClelland G, Ford GA, Price C. A review of enhanced paramedic roles during and after hospital handover of stroke, myocardial infarction and trauma patients. BMC Emergency Medicine 2017, 17, 5.
- Fisher A, Andreasson A, Chrysos A, Lally J, Mamasoula C, Exley C, Wilkinson J, Qian J, Watson G, Lewington O, Chadwick T, McColl E, Pearce M, Mann K, McMeekin N, Vale L, Tsui S, Yonan N, Simon A, Marczin N, Mascaro J, Dark J. An observational study of Donor Ex Vivo Lung Perfusion in UK Lung Transplantation : DEVELOP-UK. Health Technology Assessment 2016, 20(85).
- Bardgett M, Lally J, Malviya AJ, Kleim B, Deehan DJ. Patient reported factors influencing return to work after joint replacement – A Qualitative Analysis. Occupational Medicine 2016, 66(3), 215-221.
- Bardgett M, Lally J, Malviya A, Kleim B, Deehan D. Patient-reported factors influencing return to work after joint replacement. Occupational Medicine 2016, 66(3), 215-221.
- Bardgett M, Lally J, Malviya AJ, Deehan D. Return to work after knee replacement: A qualitative study of patient experiences. BMJ Open 2016, 6(2), e007912.
- Lally J, McClelland G, Exley C, Ford G, Price C. Stakeholder Engagement In The Design Of A Novel Pre-hospital Acute Stroke Assessment. Emergency Medicine 2016, 33(9), e9-e10.
- Lally J, Flynn D, Ford G, Price C, Exley C. Barriers and facilitators to further development of the paramedic role during assessment of suspected stroke patients. In: UK Stroke Forum 2015 Conference. 2015, Liverpool, UK: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Sepucha KR, Matlock DD, Wills CE, Ropka M, Joseph-Williams N, Stacey D, Ng CJ, Levin C, Lally J, Borkhoff CM, Thomson R. "It's valid and reliable" is not enough: Critical appraisal of reporting of measures in trials evaluating patient decision aids. Medical Decision Making 2014, 34(5), 560-566.
- Lally J, Thomson RG, MacPhail S, Exley C. Pain relief in labour: a qualitative study to determine how to support women to make decisions about pain relief in labour. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 2014, 14, 6.
- Sepucha KR, Borkhoff CM, Lally J, Levin CA, Matlock D, Ng CJ, Ropka ME, Stacey D, Joseph-Williams N, Wills CE, Thomson R. Establishing the effectiveness of patient decision aids: key constructs and measurement instruments. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 2013, 13(Suppl. 2), S12.
- Bell R, Burke W, Lally J, Heslehurst N, Rankin J. Experiences of preparation for pregnancy in women with pre-gestational diabetes: a systematic review of qualitative studies. In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference 2013. 2013, Manchester: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Sepucha K, Thomson R, Borkhoff C, Lally J, Levin CA, Matlock DD, NG CJ, Ropka M, Stacey D, Williams NJ, Wills CE. Chapter L: Establishing The Effectiveness. IPDAS Collaboration, 2012. Available at: http://www.ipdas.ohri.ca/IPDAS-Chapter-L.pdf.
- Lally J, Tullo E. Engaging older people in decisions about their healthcare: the case for shared decision making. Reviews in Clinical Gerontology 2012, 22(2), 99.
- Lally JE. Nothing about me without me. Nursing Times 2011, 107(34), 14-16.
- Lally JE, Thomson RG, Exley C, Macphail S. Shared decision making about pain management in labour: expectations and reality. Archives of Disease Childhood - Fetal and Neonatal 2010, 95((suppl 1)), Fa80.
- Lally JE, Murtagh MJ, Macphail S, Thomson RG. More in hope than expectation: A systematic review of women's expectations and experience of pain relief in labour. BMC Medicine 2008, 6, 7.
- Lally J, Murtagh M, Thomson R, MacPhail S. Women's decision-making about pain relief in labour. In: Society for Social Medicine 52nd Annual Scientific Meeting. 2008, Southampton: Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health, BMJ Group.
- Burges Watson D, Murtagh MJ, Lally JE, Thomson RG, McPhail S. Flexible therapeutic landscapes of labour and the place of pain relief. Health and Place 2007, 13(4), 865-876.
- Lally J, Murtagh M, Thomson RG, MacPhail S. Women’s decision making about pain in labour. In: UK Public Health Forum. 2005, Gateshead.
- Lally J, Murtagh M, Thomson RG, MacPhail S. Women's decision making regarding pain relief in labour. In: 3rd International Shared Decision Making Conference. 2005, Ottawa, Canada: University of Ottawa.
- Thomson R, Taber S, Lally J, Kazandjian V. UK Quality Indicator Project® (UK QIP) and the UK independent health care sector: A new development. International Journal for Quality in Health Care 2004, 16(1), i51-i56.
- Fischbacher CM, Lally JE. Improving the quality of communicable disease control: the example of meningococcal disease. Communicable Disease and Public Health 2001, 4(4), 268-272.
- Thomson RG, Lally J. Performance management at the crossroads in the NHS: Don't go into the red. Quality in Health Care 2000, 9(4), 201-202.
- Lally, J.E. & Thomson, R.G. Is indicator use for quality improvement and performance measurement compatible?. In: H. Davies, M. Tavakoli, M. Malek & A.R, ed. Managing quality: strategic issues in Health care management. Ashgate publishing Ltd, 1999, pp.199-213.
- R. Thomson and J. Lally. Clinical indicators: do we know what we're doing?. Quality in Health Care 1998, 7, 122-122.
- R. Thomson and J. Lally. External evaluation of health care in Italy - Comment. Quality in Health Care 1998, 7, 168-169.
- Thomson R, Lally J. External evaluation of health care in Italy - Comment. QUALITY IN HEALTH CARE 1998, 7(3), 168-169.