Dr Joanne Patterson
NIHR Clinical Lecturer
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
I am a clinical academic speech & language therapist and have over 25 years of clinical experience. I am a NIHR Clinical Lecturer and Macmillan Principal Speech & Language Therapist (SLT), funded jointly by City Hospitals Sunderland and a NIHR personal award. I completed my PhD (NIHR RDC award) in 2010, which reported on swallowing outcomes following head and neck cancer treatment. My clinical and research interests include head and neck cancer dysphagia, functional outcome measures, cancer survivorship, medically unexplained dysphagia, cricopharyneal dysfunction and swallowing intervention development.
Speech and Language Therapist representative for
1) NIHR Ear Nose and Throat Specialty National Group
2) HANA (National Head and Neck cancer Audit)
3) RCSLT Specialist Advisor in Head and Neck Oncology
4) Head and Neck Oncology Special Interest Group RCSLT (Chair 2002-2004, Treasurer 1997-1998, Secretary 2012-14, Research lead 2015-current)
5) Council member for British Association of Head and Neck Oncologists (BAHNO)
I have a number of current research projects, under the theme of eating and drinking following head and neck cancer
1) As part of my NIHR Clinical Lecturer award, I am conducting a feasibility study to develop a swallowing therapy intervention which draws on cognitive behavioural therapy techniques (CB-EST). This intervention aims to provide a more holistic rehabilitation approach, which addresses the physiological as well as the emotional, cognitive and behavioural changes in adjusting to living with swallowing difficulties after head and neck cancer treatment.
2) I am a co-applicant and steering group member for a randomised controlled trial of pre-treatment gastrostomy tube versus oral feeding plus as-needed nasogastric tube feeding in patients undergoing chemoradiation for head and neck cancer. This study is funded by NIHR HTA
3) I am a co-applicant and steering group member for PATHOS: a phase II/III trial of risk-stratified, reduced intensity adjuvant treatment in patients undergoing transoral surgery for Human papillomavirus (HPV) positive oropharyngeal cancer. This is a multi-centre study, funded by Cancer Research UK. The primary outcome measure is a swallowing outcome. This is the first large scale UK based head and neck cancer study, which incorporates instrumental swallowing evaluation (Videofluoroscopy)
4) I am a collaborator for a randomised multicentre study of dysphagia optimized intensity modulated radiotherapy versus standard intensity modulated radiotherapy in head and neck cancer (DARS). This is a multi-centre study, funded by Cancer Research UK. PATHOS and DARS have aligned swallowing outcome measures and are working in close collaboration
5) I am a co-applicant and steering group member for a multi-centre study for SIP: Improving quality of life and swallowing function in patients with head and neck cancer: Development and feasibility of a Swallowing Intervention Package. This has been funded by Chief Scientist Office Research Grant Scotland
6) I am a co-applicant and member of the steering group for Resources for Living Pilot, which is exploring the potential of progressive cuisine for quality of life improvement for head and neck cancer survivors. This is funded by the RfPB
7) I am co-leading a project to develop hypnosis for taste dysfunction; a proof of concept study. Funder MRC Confidence in Concept, Newcastle University (joint lead applicant)
8) I supervise a locally funded project, to develop a taste dysfunction patient reported outcome measure for head and neck cancer patients
I have a number of national and international collaborations. I am part of a SLT group (Canada, Australia, UK) conducting a systematic review of swallowing tools. I am working with researchers in Australia to develop SOS-Dysphagia - a questionnaire to identify the impact of swallowing difficulties on carers. I have been part of a research group led by Prof Hutcheson, MD Anderson Texas to develop a reliable and valid measurement tool for dysphagia.
I have developed and co-lead the MSc module in dysphagia (first intake October 2015) at Newcastle University. I contribute to the module on 'Writing for Publication' MSc Clinical Research. I have been invited to talk at a variety of clinical and academic meetings, including
- Swallowing exercises – can they help head and neck cancer patients? Cancer and Exercise Study Day, University of Hull 2006
- Rehabilitation of the patient undergoing treatment for pharyngeal carcinoma. Key advances in Head and Neck Cancer Royal College of Physicians 2006
- Swallowing following non-surgical treatment of head and neck cancer. Head and Neck Oncology Special Interest Group Nottingham 2006
- Chemoradiotherapy for Advanced Laryngeal Cancer – the functional outcome. Surgical Voice Restoration Conference University of Durham 2006
- Swallowing Rehabilitation; the U.K. perspective. ENT Special Interest Day, Kerela Medical School, India 2007
- Psychosocial care and dysphagia. NE Dysphagia interest group, Newcastle 2007
- Application of ethnographic research methodology to eating and drinking. NE Dysphagia interest group, Newcastle 2007
- Tube feeding in head & neck cancer. Northern Head & Neck Research Group, Newcastle 2007
- Post (chemo)radiotherapy swallowing outcomes; changes over time. Scottish Head & Neck Oncology Special Interest Group 2008
- Swallowing outcomes in head & neck cancer. SW Head & Neck Oncology Special Interest Group 2008
- Oedema following non-surgical treatment of head and neck cancer. British Academic Conference of Otorhinolaryngologists 2006
- Long term swallowing outcomes in head and neck cancer. British Academic Conference of Otorhinolaryngologists 2009
- Functional outcomes after surgery and organ preservation protocols for oropharyngeal cancer. UK Evidence Based Conference on Oropharyngeal Cancer Newcastle 2010
- Swallowing outcomes following chemoradiation in head and neck cancer. RCSLT Special Interest Group South 2011
- Swallowing outcomes following chemoradiation in head and neck cancer. RCSLT Special Interest Group North 2011
- Videofluoroscopy: Head and neck cancer – the speech & language therapist’s perspective. Gastro Intestinal Radiographers Special Interest group National Conference 2011
- Managing dysphagia in head & neck carcinoma. British Academic Conference of Otorhinolaryngologists 2012
- Swallowing assessment and Outcomes. 12th International Conference on Quality of Life in Head and Neck Cancer 2012
- Swallowing in Head and Neck Cancer. Scottish SALT meeting October 2013
- Oropharyngeal cancer and swallowing outcome. Wales Cancer Network November 2013
- Psychosocial impact of dysphagia in head & neck cancer. UK Swallowing Research Group conference February 2014
- Assessment of Dysphagia. World Larynx Congress Cairns Australia July 2015
- Dysphagia Outcomes and Interventions’.EuroHNC Conference Birmingham October 2015
- CBT and head and neck cancer dysphagia’ British Academic Conference of Otorhinolaryngologists 2015
- Cricopharyneal dysfunction: diagnosis British Laryngology Conference October 2015
- Post-radiotherapy dysphagia British Laryngology Conference October 2015
- Dysphagia outcome measures and interventions European HNC conference Birmingham 2015
- Repanos C, O'Hara J, Costello D, Patterson JM, Dawson C, Ofo E, Homer J, Roland N, Paleri V. Laryngeal Cancer—Summary of the 12th Evidence Based Management Day. In: Laryngeal Cancer 12th Evidence Based Management Day. 2017, London,UK: Clinical Otolaryngology.
- Goff D, Coward S, Fitzgerald A, Paleri V, Moor JW, Patterson JM. Swallowing outcomes for patients with oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma treated with primary (chemo)radiation therapy receiving either prophylactic gastrostomy or reactive nasogastric tube: A prospective cohort study. Clinical Otolaryngology 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Paleri V, Wood J, Patterson J, Stocken DD, Cole M, Vale L, Franks J, Guerrero-Urbano T, Donnelly R, Barclay S, Rapley T, Rousseau N. A feasibility study incorporating a pilot randomised controlled trial of oral feeding plus pre-treatment gastrostomy tube versus oral feeding plus as-needed nasogastric tube feeding in patients undergoing chemoradiation for head and neck cancer (TUBE trial): study protocol. Pilot and feasibility studies 2016, 2(29).
- Owen S, Puvanendran M, Meikle D, Bowe I, O'Hara J, Patterson J, Paleri V. Baseline swallowing measures predict recovery at 6 weeks after transoral robotic surgery for head and neck cancer. Clinical Otolaryngology 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Petkar I, Rooney K, Roe J, Patterson J, Bernstein D, Tyler J, Hall E, Emson M, Morden J, Mertens K, Miles K, Beasley M, Roques T, Bhide S, Newbold K, Harrington K, Nutting C. DARS: a phase III randomised multicentre study of dysphagia optimised intensity modulated radiotherapy (Do-IMRT) versus standard intensity modulated radiotherapy (S-IMRT) in head and neck cancers. BMC Cancer 2016, 16, 770.
- Wells M, King E, Toft K, MacAulay F, Patterson J, Dougall N, Hulbert-Williams N, Boa S, Slaven E, Cowie J, McGarva J, Niblock PG, Philp J, Roe J. Development and feasibility of a Swallowing intervention Package (SiP) for patients receiving radiotherapy treatment for head and neck cancer—the SiP study protocol. Pilot and Feasibility Studies 2016, 2(40).
- Hutcheson KA, Barrow MP, Barringer DA, Knott JA, Lin HY, Weber RS, Fuller CD, Lai SY, Alvarez C, Raut J, Lazarus CL, May A, Patterson J, Roe JR, Starmer H, Lewin JS. Dynamic Imaging Grade of Swallowing Toxicity (DIGEST): Scale Development and Validation. Cancer 2016, Epub ahead of print.
- O'Hara J, Goff D, Cocks H, Moor J, Hartley C, Muirhead C, Patterson JM. One-year swallowing outcomes following Transoral Laser Microsurgery +/- Adjuvant Therapy versus Primary Chemoradiotherapy for Advanced Stage Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Clinical Otolaryngology 2016, 41(2), 169-175.
- Patterson JM, Brady GC, Roe JWG. Research into the prevention and rehabilitation of dysphagia in head and neck cancer: a UK perspective. Current Opinion in Otolaryngology & Head and Neck Surgery 2016, 24(3), 208-214.
- Pedersen A, Wilson JA, McColl E, Carding PN, Patterson J. Swallowing outcome measures in head and neck cancer – how do they compare?. Oral Oncology 2016, 52, 104-108.
- King E, Wells M, Hulbert-Williams N, Patterson J, SiP Team Tayside. Understanding and addressing potential barriers and facilitators to adherence to a swallowing exercise intervention for patients with head and neck cancer: the SiP study. In: British Psychosocial Oncology Society 2016 Annual Conference. 2016, Cambridge, UK: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Khan K, Patterson J, Owen S, Rees S, Gamborini G, Paleri V. Comparing the Performance Status Scale and MD Anderson Dysphagia Inventory as swallowing outcome measures in head and neck cancer: a prospective cohort study. Clinical Otolaryngology 2015, 40(4), 321-326.
- Dawe N, Patterson J, OHara J. Functional swallowing outcomes following treatment for oropharyngeal carcinoma: A systematic review of the evidence comparing trans-oral surgery versus non-surgical management. Clinical Otolaryngology 2015, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Patterson JM, McColl E, Wilson J, Carding P, Rapley T. Head and neck cancer patients' perceptions of swallowing following chemoradiotherapy. Supportive Care in Cancer 2015, 23(12), 3531-3538.
- Owadally W, Hurt C, Timmins H, Parsons E, Townsend S, Patterson J, Hutcheson K, Powell N, Beasley M, Palaniappan N, Robinson M, Jones T, Evans M. PATHOS: a phase II/III trial of risk-stratified, reduced intensity adjuvant treatment in patients undergoing transoral surgery for Human papillomavirus (HPV) positive oropharyngeal cancer. BMC Cancer 2015, 15, 602.
- Brockbank S, Miller N, Owen S, Patterson JM. Pretreatment Information on Dysphagia: Exploring the Views of Head and Neck Cancer Patients. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 2015, 49(1), 89-97.
- O'Hara J, Cosway B, Muirhead C, Leonard N, Goff D, Patterson JM. Transoral laser microsurgery +/- adjuvant therapy versus chemoradiotherapy for stage III and IVA oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma: Preliminary comparison of early swallowing outcomes. Head & Neck 2015, 37(10), 1488-1494.
- Patterson JM. Value of qualitative research in dysphagia in the head and neck cancer patient population- the caregiver's perspective/experience. SIG 13 Perspectives on Swallowing and Swallowing Disorders (Dysphagia) 2015 ASHA 2015, 24, 107-114.
- Miller N, Patterson JM. Dysphagia: Implications for older people. Reviews in Clinical Gerontology 2014, 24(01), 41-57.
- Miller T, Deary V, Patterson J. Improving access to psychological therapies in voice disorders: a cognitive behavioural therapy model. Current Opinion in Otolaryngology and Head and Neck Surgery 2014, 22(3), 201-205.
- Patterson JM, McColl E, Carding PN, Hildreth AJ, Kelly C, Wilson JA. Swallowing in the first year after chemoradiotherapy for head and neck cancer: Clinician- and patient-reported outcomes. Head and Neck 2014, 36(3), 352-358.
- Patterson JM, Rapley T, Carding PN, Wilson JA, McColl E. Head and neck cancer and dysphagia; caring for carers. Psycho-Oncology 2013, 22(8), 1815-1820.
- Burnip E, Owen SJ, Barker S, Patterson JM. Swallowing outcomes following surgical and non-surgical treatment for advanced laryngeal cancer. Journal of Laryngology and Otology 2013, 127(11), 1116-1121.
- Patterson J, McColl E, Deary V. Swallowing problems in head and neck cancer: developing a cognitive behavioural intervention. In: 2013 MASCC/ISOO International Symposium on Supportive Care In Cancer. 2013, Berlin, Germany: Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer.
- Patterson JM, Coffey M. Head and Neck Cancer. In: Newman, R., Nightingale, J, ed. Videofluoroscopy: A Multi-Disciplinary Team Approach. San Diego, California, USA: Plural Publishing, 2012, pp.239-262.
- Patterson J, Wilson JA. The clinical value of dysphagia preassessment in the management of head and neck cancer patients . Current Opinion in Otolaryngology & Head and Neck Surgery 2011, 19(3), 177-181.
- Wilson JA, Carding PN, Patterson JM. Dysphagia after nonsurgical head and neck cancer treatment. Otolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery 2011, 145(5), 767-771.
- Patterson J, Wilson JA, Carding PN, McColl E. Head and neck cancer and dysphagia; caring for the carers. 2011, Clinical Rehabilitation.
- Patterson JM, Hildreth A, McColl E, Carding PN, Hamilton D, Wilson JA. The clinical application of the 100 mL water swallow test in head and neck cancer. Oral Oncology 2011, 47(3), 180-184.
- Oozeer NB, Corsar K, Glore RJ, Penney S, Patterson J, Paleri V. The impact of enteral feeding route on patient-reported long term swallowing outcome after chemoradiation for head and neck cancer. Oral Oncology 2011, 47(10), 980-983.
- Patterson J, Carding PN, McColl EMM, Wilson JA. Dysaphagia after nonsurgical head and neck cancer treatment. In: 8th Congress of the European Laryngological Society. 2010, Vienna, Austria: European Archives of Oto-Rhino-Laryngology: Springer.
- Wilson JA, Carding PN, Patterson J. Dysphagia after nonsurgical head and neck cancer treatment. In: American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery: Annual Meeting. 2010, Boston, Massachusetts, USA: Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery: Mosby, Inc.
- Moor JW, Patterson J, Kelly C, Paleri V. Prophylactic Gastrostomy before Chemoradiation in Advanced Head and Neck Cancer: a Multiprofessional Web-based Survey to Identify Current Practice and to Analyse Decision Making. Clinical Oncology 2010, 22(3), 192-198.
- Corsar K, Oozeer N, Glove J, Patterson J, Paleri V. Swallowing Function after Radiation Therapy for Head and Neck Cancer: Impact of Feeding Technique. 2010, British Association of Head and Neck Oncologists Annual Meeting: Clinical Oncology.
- Paleri V, Patterson J. Use of gastrostomy in head and neck cancer: a systematic review to identify areas for future research. Clinical Otolaryngology 2010, 35(3), 177-189.
- Kerstein R, Patterson JM, Owen S, Johnson K, Hartley C, Cocks H. Severe hypopharyngeal stenosis following treatment for head and neck cancer- a case series. In: British Association of Head and Neck Oncologists Annual Scientific Meeting. 2009, London: W.B. Saunders Co. Ltd.
- Patterson JM, McColl EMM, Carding PN, Kelly C, Wilson JA. Swallowing performance in patients with head and neck cancer: a simple clinical test. Oral Oncology 2009, 45(10), 904-907.
- Patterson J, Hildreth A, Wilson J. Measuring edema in irradiated head and neck cancer patients. Annals of Otology, Rhinology and Laryngology 2007, 116(8), 559-564.
- McHanwell S, Patterson J. [abstract] Proceedings of the anatomical society of Great Britain and Ireland. Journal of Anatomy 2006, 209(4), 561-561 abstract no. 2.
- Patterson J, Owen S, Hurren A, Carding PN. Rehabilitation in Head and Neck Cancer. In: ENT UK, ed. Effective Head and Neck Cancer Management: Third Consensus Document. London, UK: British Association of Otorhinolaryngologists, 2002.