Dr Kay Mann
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: Institute of Health & Society
Sir James Spence Institute, Level 4
Royal Victoria Infirmary
Queen Victoria Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am a research assistant in epidemiology and statistics, based in the Institute of Health & Society, working on various population based cohort studies. I have a keen interest in nutritional epidemiology and investigating patterns of health and disease.
Roles and Responsibilities
Since completion of my Masters degree with a dissertation in epidemiology and statistics, I have continued to work on and support the Newcastle Thousand Families Study with the Director Professor Mark Pearce. I have recently completed a PhD investigating whole grain intake in the UK and it's association with cardio-metabolic markers.
I offer support to PhD, MSc and Newcastle work experience students and co-supervise student projects.
PhD (2017) Epidemiology, Newcastle University
MMathStat (2010) Mathematics and Statistics, Newcastle University
- Lifecourse epidemiology
- Nutritional epidemiology
- Cohort studies
- Applied statistics
April 2017 Rank Prize Funds mini-symposium (The role of wheat in diet, health and disease), Grasmere, UK - Whole grain intake in the Newcastle Thousand Families Study and its association with cardio-metabolic health.
July 2016 Nutrition Society Summer Conference, UCL, Dublin. Postgraduate student symposium - Providing evidence to support the development of whole grain dietary recommendations in the UK (paper published in the Proc Nutr Soc)
June 2015 Whole Grains Summit, Portland, USA - The whole grain content of foods consumed by the British population.
July 2014 Nutrition Society Summer Conference, Glasgow University - Whole grain intake in the UK and it's association with intakes of other foods, nutrients and markers of health in the UK (two posters).
November 2013 Healthgrain forum summer meeting, Helsinki Finland.
Whole grain intake in the UK (The National Diet and Nutrition Survey).
August 2013 European Congress of Epidemiology (EUROEPI), Aarhus, Denmark.
Lifecourse predictors of psychological well-being at age 49-51yeas in the Newcastle Thousand Families Study.
I work in collaboration with researchers at the Menzies Health Research Institute, Darwin on the Australian Aboriginal Birth Cohort (ABC) after obtaining a collaborative travel grant from the Royal Society.
Lectures and Seminars
MRes in Medical and Molecular Biosciences (Module: Clinical Epidemiology)
Lecture and Seminar in Measuring Disease Frequency
- Jones AR, Tovée MJ, Cutler LR, Parkinson KN, Ells LJ, Araujo-Soares V, Pearce MS, Mann KD, Scott D, Harris JM, Adamson AJ. Development of the MapMe intervention body image scales of known weight status for 4-5 and 10-11 year old children. Journal of Public Health 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Mann KD, Howe LD, Basterfield L, Parkinson KP, Pearce MS, Reilly JK, Adamson AJ, Reilly J, Janssen X. Longitudinal study of the associations between change in sedentary behavior and change in adiposity during childhood and adolescence: Gateshead Millennium Study. International Journal of Obesity 2017, 41, 1042-1047.
- Jones AR, Mann KD, Kuznesof SA, Richardson DP, Seal CJ. The whole grain content of foods consumed in the UK. Food Chemistry 2017, 214, 453-459.
- Mann KD, Pearce MS, Seal CJ. Providing evidence to support the development of whole grain dietary recommendations in the United Kingdom. Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Neo JE, Salleh S, Toh YX, How KYL, Tee M, Mann K, Hopkins S, Thielecke F, Seal CJ, Brownlee IA. Whole-grain food consumption in Singaporean Children aged 6-12 years. Journal of Nutritional Science 2016, 5, e33.
- Janssen X, Mann KD, Basterfield L, Parkinson KN, Pearce MS, Reilly JK, Adamson AJ, Reilly JJ. Development of sedentary behaviour across childhood and adolescence: longitudinal analysis of the Gateshead Millennium Study. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2016, 13(88).
- Fisher A, Andreasson A, Chrysos A, Lally J, Mamasoula C, Exley C, Wilkinson J, Qian J, Watson G, Lewington O, Chadwick T, McColl E, Pearce M, Mann K, McMeekin N, Vale L, Tsui S, Yonan N, Simon A, Marczin N, Mascaro J, Dark J. An observational study of Donor Ex Vivo Lung Perfusion in UK Lung Transplantation : DEVELOP-UK. Health Technology Assessment 2016, 20(85).
- Mann KD, Pearce MS, McKevith B, Thielecke F, Seal CJ. Whole grain intake and its association with intakes of other foods, nutrients and markers of health in the National Diet and Nutrition Survey rolling programme 2008–11. British Journal of Nutrition 2015, 113(10), 1595-1602.
- Mann KD, Pearce MS, McKevith B, Thielecke F, Seal CJ. Low whole grain intake in the UK: results from the National Diet and Nutrition Survey rolling programme 2008–11. British Journal of Nutrition 2015, 113(10), 1643-1651.
- Mann KD, Pearce MS, Sayers SM, Singh GR. Pathways between birthweight and later body size in predicting blood pressure: Australian Aboriginal Cohort Study 1987-2007. Journal of Hypertension 2015, 33(5), 933-939.
- Pearson F, Mann KD, Rees A, Davis A, Pearce MS. The Effect of Childhood Infection on Hearing Function at Age 61 to 63 Years in the Newcastle Thousand Families Study. Ear and Hearing 2015, 36(2), 185-190.
- Merrick H, McConachie H, LeCouteur A, Mann K, Parr JR, Pearce MS, Colver A. Characteristics of young people with long term conditions close to transfer to adult health services. BMC Health Services Research 2015, 15, 435.
- Pearce MS, Mann KD, Singh G, Sayers SM. Birth weight and cognitive function in early adulthood: the Australian aboriginal birth cohort study. Journal of Developmental Origins of Health and Disease 2014, 5(3), 240-247.
- Pearce MS, Mann KD, Singh G, Davison B, Sayers SM. Prevalence and validity of self-reported smoking in Indigenous and non-Indigenous young adults in the Australian Northern Territory. BMC Public Health 2014, 14, 861.
- Abraham AM, Pearce MS, Mann KD, Francis RM, Birrell F. Population prevalence of ultrasound features of osteoarthritis in the hand, knee and hip at age 63 years: the Newcastle thousand families birth cohort. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 2014, 15, 162.
- Sayers SM, Mott SA, Mann KD, Pearce MS, Singh GR. Birthweight and fasting glucose and insulin levels: results from the Aboriginal Birth Cohort Study. Medical Journal of Australia 2013, 199(2), 112-116.
- Pearson F, Mann KD, Nedellec R, Rees A, Pearce MS. Childhood infections, but not early life growth, influence hearing in the Newcastle thousand families birth cohort at age 14 years. BMC Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders 2013, 13, 9.
- Jones AR, Cutler LR, Parkinson KN, Ells LJ, Tovée MJ, Scott D, Araujo-Soares V, Pearce MS, Mann KD, Speed C, Harris JM, Treleaven P, Adamson AJ. Improving parental recognition of childhood overweight: The Map Me Study. In: Nutrition Society Annual Summer Meeting. 2013, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Njoku K, Basta N, Mann KD, McNally RJ, Pearce MS. Socioeconomic variation in survival from childhood leukaemia in northern England, 1968–2010. British Journal of Cancer 2013, 108(11), 2339-2345.
- Harrison SL, Mann KD, Pearce MS. Early Life Influences Kidney Function at Age 63–64 Years, but So Does Adult Body Size: Results from the Newcastle Thousand Families Birth Cohort. PLoS ONE 2013, 8(6), e66660.
- Mann KD, Hayes L, Basterfield L, Parker L, Pearce MS. Differing lifecourse associations with sport-, occupational- and household-based physical activity at age 49-51 years: the Newcastle Thousand Families Study. International Journal of Public Health 2013, 58(1), 79-88.
- Pearce MS, Campbell DI, Mann KD, Parker L, Thomas JE. Deprivation, timing of preschool infections and H. pylori seropositivity at age 49-51 years: the Newcastle thousand families birth cohort. BMC Infectious Diseases 2013, 13, 422.
- Pearce MS, Mann KD, Martin-Ruiz C, Parker L, White M, von Zglinicki T, Adams J. Childhood Growth, IQ and Education as Predictors of White Blood Cell Telomere Length at Age 49-51 Years: The Newcastle Thousand Families Study. PLoS One 2012, 7(7), e40116.
- Pearce MS, Basterfield L, Mann KD, Parkinson KN, Adamson AJ, Reilly JJ, Gateshead Millennium Study. Early Predictors of Objectively Measured Physical Activity and Sedentary Behaviour in 8-10 Year Old Children: The Gateshead Millennium Study. PLoS One 2012, 7(6), e37975.
- Pearce MS, Mann KD, Relton CL, Francis RM, Steele JG, Craft AW, Parker L. How the Newcastle Thousand Families birth cohort study has contributed to the understanding of the impact of birth weight and early life socioeconomic position on disease in later life. Maturitas 2012, 72(1), 23-28.
- Pearce MS, Tennant PWG, Mann KD, Pollard TM, McLean L, Kaye B, Parker L. Lifecourse predictors of mammographic density: The Newcastle Thousand Families cohort Study. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 2012, 131(1), 187-195.
- Bhopal SS, Mann KD, Pearce MS. Registration of cancer in girls remains lower than expected in countries with low/middle incomes and low female education rates. British Journal of Cancer 2012, 107(1), 183-188.
- Mann KD, Tennant PWG, Parker L, Unwin NC, Pearce MS. The relatively small contribution of birth weight to blood pressure at age 49-51 years in the Newcastle Thousand Families Study. Journal of Hypertension 2011, 29(6), 1077-1084.