Dr Lindsay Pennington
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 282 1360
- Address: Institute of Health and Society
Sir James Spence Institute
Royal Victoria Infirmary
Queen Victoria Road
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am a senior lecturer and a speech and language therapist. With Professor Louise Robinson I co-lead the Lifecourse, Development, and Ageing Research Theme in the Institute of Health & Society. My research focusses on causes and prevalence of oromotor and communication disorders in childhood neurodisability, the impact of these disorders on young people's health and well-being and the effectiveness and acceptability of speech and language therapy interventions.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Co-leader Institute of Health & Society Lifecourse, Development, and Ageing Research Theme
- Institute of Health & Society Head of Excellence in Learning and Teaching
- President of European Academy of Childhood Disability 2012-2013
- Surveillance of Cerebral Palsy in Europe Steering Committee member
- Editorial Board Member Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology
- Editorial Board Member Child: Care, Health and Development
- Editorial Board member Augmentative & Alternative Communication AAC
- Newcastle University Faculty of Medical Sciences Ethics Committee member
BSc Speech Sciences, 1987, University College London
MSc Human Communication, 1992, Institute of Neurology, University of London
PhD Human Comunication, 1997, University College London
National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Career Development Fellow, Newcastle Univeristy, 2008-2012
Principal Research Associate, Newcastle University, 2004-2013
Department of Health / The Health Foundation Primary Care Post Doctoral Research Fellow, Newcastle University, 2002-2006
Research Speech and Language Therapist, Department of Speech, Newcastle University, 2001- 2002
Research Fellow, Human Communication and Deafness Group, University of Manchester, 2000-2001
Senior Lecturer in Evidence Based Practice, University of Central Lancashire, 1988-2000
Research Speech and Language Therapist, Institute of Child Health, London, 1990-1996
Speech and Language Therapist, Scope, Waltham Forest Health Authority, Southport and Formby Health Authority, 1987-1990
Honours and Awards
NIHR Career Development Fellowship
Department of Health / Health Foundation Primary Care Post Doctoral Research Fellow
Best paper International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders 2015
- Communication development of children with neurodisability
- Motor speech disorders in childhood
- Clinical effectiveness and acceptability of allied health interventions for young people with neurodisability
- Participation and quality of life of young people with neurodisability
I am principal investigator on a number of projects
I currently supervise four postgraduate students
RECENT INVITED PRESENTATIONS
Focus-Cerebralparese-Congress 2016. Munich, Germany. 2016; Early Intervention State of the Science Pre-Conference Symposium International Cerebral Palsy Conference, Stockholm, 1-2 June, 2016; Paediatric Dysarthria Masterclass. Radboud University, Nijmegen, The Netherlands 2 July 2015; Early Detection and Early Neurorehabilitation in CP Summit. Vienna 1-2 July 2014
Augmentative and Alternative Communication, Associate Editor
Child: Care, Health and Development, member of Editorial Board
Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology, member of Editorial Board
Cochrane Collaboration Movement Disorders Review Group, member
Cochrane Collaboration Developmental, Psychosocial and Learning Problems Group, member
European Academy of Childhood Disability, President 2013
International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders best paper 2015
Selected current and recently completed funded projects
Pennington L, Olivier P, Balaam M, Basu A. (2015-2016) Participatory design of smart phone technology to support speech therapy for very young children with cerebral palsy. Sparks. £83109
Pennington L, Smith J, Balaam M, Brittain K, Robson S, Steen N, Vale L. (2014-2016) FIDELITY: Feasibility of Internet DELivery of Intensive TherapY for children with motor speech disorders and cerebral palsy. NIHR Research for Patient Benefit Programme. £263,971
Pennington L, Pearce M, Welsher G (2013-2016) The communication development of children with motor disorders. The Children's Foundation. £19283
Parr J, Colver A, Pennington L, Steen N (2012-2015) Trial of effectiveness of glycopyronium vs Hyoscine for treatment of excessive salivation in chidlren with neurodisability. Funded by WellChild, The Castang Foundation, The Children's Foundation and the British Academy of Childhood Disability
Sellers D, Pountney T, Mandy A, Hankins M, Pennington L, Morris C, Parker K (2010-2013) To Develop a Functional Classification System of Eating and Drinking Abilities for Children and Young People with Cerebral Palsy. NIHR Research for Patient Benefit (RfPB) Programme £163,116
BSc and MSc Speech and Language Sciences: childhood motor speech disorder
Speech and Language Sciences Dissertations
- Pennington L, Lombardo E, Steen N, Miller N. Acoustic changes in the speech of children with cerebral palsy following an intensive program of dysarthria therapy. International Journal of Language & Communication Disorders 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Novak I, Morgan C, Adde L, Brunstrom-Hernandez J, Blackman J, Boyd RN, Cioni G, Damiano D, Darrah J, deVries L, Eliasson AC, Einspieler C, Fahey M, Fehlings D, Ferriero DM, Fetters L, Fiori S, Forssberg H, Gordon AM, Greaves S, Guzzetta A, Harbourne R, Hadders-Algra M, Kakooza A, Karlsson P, Krumlinde-Sundholm L, Latal B, Loughran-Fowlds A, Maitre NL, McIntyre S, Noritz G, Pennington L, Romeo D, Shepherd RB, Spittle AJ, Thornton M, Valentine J, Walker K, White R, Badawi N. Cerebral palsy: advances in early diagnosis and treatment international clinical practice guideline. JAMA Pediatrics 2017. In Press.
- Pennington L, Laws K, Goldbart J. Parent-mediated communication interventions for improving the communication skills of preschool children with non-progressive motor disorders. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2017, 2017(1), CD012507.
- Alabdulqader E, Stockwell K, Montague K, Jackson D, Balaam M, Monk A, Olivier P, Pennington L. Understanding the Therapeutic Coaching Needs for Mothers of Children with Cerebral Palsy. 2017.
- Virella D, Pennington L, Andersen GL, Andrada MD, Greitane A, Himmelmann K, Prasauskiene A, Rackauskaite G, De La Cruz J, Colver A, Surveillance Cerebral Palsy Europe. Classification systems of communication for use in epidemiological surveillance of children with cerebral palsy. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology 2016, 58(3), 285-291.
- Sellier E, Platt MJ, Andersen GL, Krageloh-Mann I, De La Cruz J, Cans C, Cans C, Van Bakel M, Arnaud C, Delobel M, Chalmers J, McManus V, Lyons A, Parkes J, Dolk H, Himmelmann K, Pahlman M, Dowding V, Colver A, Pennington L, Horridge K, Kurinczuk J, Surman G, Platt MJ, Udall P, Rackauskaite G, Torrioli MG, Marcelli M, Andersen G, Julsen Hollung S, Bottos M, Gaffney G, De la Cruz J, Pallas C, Neubauer D, Jekovec-Vrhovsek M, Virella D, Andrada M, Greitane A, Hollody K, Sigurdardottir S, Einarsson I, Honold M, Rostasy K, Mejaski-Bosnjak V. Decreasing prevalence in cerebral palsy: A multi-site European population-based study, 1980 to 2003. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 2016, 58(1), 85-92.
- Kuschmann A, Miller N, Lowit A, Pennington L. Intonation patterns in older children with cerebral palsy before and after speech intervention. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology 2016, epub ahead of print.
- Mei C, Reilly S, Reddihough D, Mensah F, Pennington L, Morgan A. Language Outcomes of Children with Cerebral Palsy aged 5 years and 6 years: A Population-Based Study. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 2016, 58(6), 605-611.
- Pennington L, Parker N, Kelly H, Miller N. Speech therapy for children with dysarthria acquired before three years of age. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2016, (7), CD006937.
- Mei C, Reilly S, Reddihough D, Mensah F, Green J, Pennington L, Morgan AT. Activities and participation of children with cerebral palsy: parent perspectives. Disability and Rehabilitation 2015, 37(23), 2164-2173.
- Watson RM, Pennington L. Assessment and management of the communication difficulties of children with cerebral palsy: a UK survey of SLT practice. International Journal of Language and Communication Disorders 2015, 50(2), 241-259.
- Murray J, Martin A, Pennington L, Marshall J, Enderby P, Goldbart J. A case study template to support experimental design in Augmentative and Alternative Communication and Assistive Technology. Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology 2014, 9(1), 60-69.
- Sellers D, Pennington L, Mandy A, Morris C. A systematic review of ordinal scales used to classify the eating and drinking abilities of individuals with cerebral palsy. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 2014, 56(4), 312-322.
- Landa S, Pennington L, Miller N, Robson S, Thompson V, Steen N. Association between objective measurement of the speech intelligibility of young people with dysarthria and listener ratings of ease of understanding. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology 2014, 16(4), 408-416.
- Sellers D, Mandy A, Pennington L, Hankins M, Morris C. Development and reliability of a system to classify the eating and drinking ability of people with cerebral palsy. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 2014, 56(3), 245-251.
- Pennington L. Development of communication by young people with cerebral palsy. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology 2014, 56(10), 917-918.
- Morgan AT, Hodge M, Pennington L. Scientific forum topic: Translating knowledge to practice in childhood dysarthria. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology 2014, 16(4), 335-336.
- Parr JR, Weldon E, Pennington L, Steen N, Williams J, Fairhurst C, O'Hare A, Lodh R, Colver A. The drooling reduction intervention trial (DRI): a single blind trial comparing the efficacy of glycopyrronium and hyoscine on drooling in children with neurodisability. Trials 2014, 15(60).
- Miller N, Pennington L, Robson S, Roelant E, Steen N, Lombardo E. Changes in voice quality after speech-language therapy intervention in older children with Cerebral Palsy. Folia Phoniatrica et Logopaedica 2013, 65(4), 200-207.
- Pennington L. Developing cohesive and strategic communication research. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 2013, 55(9), 776-776.
- Pennington L, Virella D, Mjøen T, daGraçaAndrada M, Murray J, Colver A, Himmelmann K, Rackauskaite G, Greitane A, Prasauskiene A, Andersen G, delaCruz J. Development of The Viking Speech Scale to classify the speech of children with cerebral palsy. Research in Developmental Disabilities 2013, 34(10), 3202-3210.
- Pennington L, Roelant E, Thomson V, Robson S, Steen N, Miller N. Intensive dysarthria therapy for younger children with cerebral palsy. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 2013, 55(5), 464-471.
- Sellers D, Pountney T, Pennington L, Morris C, Mandy A, Hankins M. Development of a functional classification system of eating and drinking ability for individuals with cerebral palsy. In: European Academy of Childhood Disability, 24th Annual Meeting. 2012, Istanbul, Turkey: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Walshe M, Smith M, Pennington L. Interventions for drooling in children with cerebral palsy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012, 2012(11), CD008624.
- Walshe M, Smith M, Pennington L. Interventions for drooling in children with cerebral palsy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012, (11), CD008624.
- Parr JR, Buswell CA, Banerjee K, Fairhurst C, Williams J, OHare A, Pennington L. Management of drooling in children: a survey of UK paediatricians' clinical practice. Child: Care, Health and Development 2012, 38(2), 287-291.
- Pennington L, Reilly S. Management of oromotor disorders in childhood. In: Roig-Quilis, M., Pennington, L, ed. Oromotor disorders in childhood. Barcelona: Viguera, 2012, pp.213-224.
- Pennington L. Speech and communication in cerebral palsy. Eastern Journal of Medicine 2012, 17(4), 171-177.
- Miller N, Pennington L. Speech therapy for children with dysarthria and cerebral palsy. In: Roig-Quilis, M., Pennington, L, ed. Oromotor Disorders in Childhood. Barcelona: Viguera Editores, 2012, pp.265-284.
- Roig-Quilis M, Pennington L, ed. Oromotor Disorders in Childhood. Barcelona, Spain: Viguera Editores, 2011.
- Pennington L, Noble E. Acceptability and usefulness of the group interaction training programme It Takes Two to Talk to parents of pre-school children with motor disorders. Child: Care, Health and Development 2010, 36(2), 285-296.
- Pennington L, Miller N, Robson S, Steen N. Intensive speech and language therapy for older children with cerebral palsy: a systems approach. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 2010, 52(4), 337-344.
- Pennington L. Measuring communication outcomes. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 2010, 52(1), 7-8.
- Pennington L, James P, McNally R, Pay H, McConachie H. Analysis of compositional data in communication disorders research. Journal of Communication Disorders 2009, 42(1), 18-28.
- Pennington L, Thomson K, James P, Martin K, McNally RJ. Effects of It Takes Two to Talk—The Hanen Program for Parents of Preschool Children With Cerebral Palsy: Findings From an Exploratory Study. Journal of Speech, Language and Hearing Research 2009, 52(5), 1121-1138.
- French B, Thomas LH, Baker P, Burton CR, Pennington L, Roddam H. What can management theories offer evidence-based practice? A comparative analysis of measurement tools for organisational context. Implementation Science 2009, 4(28).
- Pennington L. Cerebral palsy and communication. Paediatrics and Child Health 2008, 18(9), 405-409.
- Pennington L, Marshall J, Goldbart J. Describing participants in AAC research and their communicative environments: Guidelines for research and practice. Disability and Rehabilitation 2007, 29(7), 521-535.
- Bruton C, Pennington L, Roddam H, Russell I, Godfrey C, Russell D. The development and evaluation of a management tool to monitor the use of guidelines for the management of post-stroke dyphagia. Clinical Rehabilitation 2006, 20, 1-6.
- Pennington L, Goldbart J, Marshall J. Speech and language therapy to improve the communication skills of children with cerebral palsy. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2003, (3), CD003466.
- Pennington, L., Jolleff, N., McConachie, H., Wisbeach A. and Price K. 'My Turn to Speak': A Team Approach to Augmentative Communication. London: Institute of Child Health, 1993.