Dr Matthew Breckons
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7585
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 6043
- Address: Institute of Health & Society Newcastle University
Newcastle upon Tyne
I started working for IHS in December 2012 on the DEEP Study: Developing Effective and Efficient care pathways for patients with chronic Pain. I've previously worked for the Macmillan Survivorship Research Group at the University of Southampton and in the Faculty of Health & Human Sciences at Plymouth University.
2014 PhD (Health Studies) Universities of Plymouth and Exeter "Factors affecting the development of an evidence-based information service in a third sector provider of complementary cancer care"
2006 BSc(Hons) Complementary Medicine & Health Sciences, Salford University
2010-2012 Senior Research Assistant, University of Southampton
2009-2010 Research Assistant, Plymouth University
2007-2009 KTP Associate, Penny Brohn Cancer Care, Bristol
- Foster C, Breckons M, Cotterell P, Barbosa D, Calman L, Corner J, Fenlon D, Foster R, Grimmett C, Richardson A, Smith PW. Cancer survivors' self-efficacy to self-manage in the year following primary treatment. Journal of Cancer Survivorship 2015, 9(1), 11-19.
- Durham J, Breckons M, Araujo-Soares V, Exley C, Steele J, Vale L. Developing Effective and Efficient care pathways in chronic Pain: DEEP study protocol. BMC Oral Health 2014, 14, 6.
- Molassiotis A, Russell W, Hughes J, Breckons M, Lloyd-Williams M, Richardson J, Hulme C, Brearley SG, Campbell M, Garrow A, Ryder WD. The Effectiveness of Acupressure for the Control and Management of Chemotherapy-Related Acute and Delayed Nausea: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 2014, 47(1), 12-25.
- Hughes JG, Russell W, Breckons M, Richardson J, Lloyd-Williams M, Molassiotis A. "Until the trial is complete you can't really say whether it helped you or not, can you?": exploring cancer patients' perceptions of taking part in a trial of acupressure wristbands. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 2013, 13(1), 260.
- Foster C, Breckons M, Hankins M, Fenlon D, Cotterell P. Developing a scale to measure self-efficacy to SELF-manage problems following cancer treatment. In: British Psychosocial Oncology 2013 Conference. 2013, Southampton, UK: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Fenlon D, Seymour KC, Okamoto I, Winter J, Richardson A, Addington-Hall J, Corner JL, Smith PW, May CM, Breckons M, Foster C. Lessons learnt recruiting to a multi-site UK cohort study to explore recovery of health and well-being after colorectal cancer (CREW study). BMC Medical Research Methodology 2013, 13, 153.
- Grimmett C, Breckons M, Calman L, Corner J, Fenlon D, Richardson A, Smith P, Yardley L, Team Design, Foster C. RESTORE: A web-based intervention to supportself-management of cancer related fatigue followingprimary cancer treatment. In: British Psychosocial Oncology Society Conference. 2013, Southampton, UK: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Grimmett C, Armes J, Breckons M, Calman L, Corner J, Fenlon D, Hulme C, May CM, May CR, Ream E, Richardson A, Smith PWF, Yardley L, Foster C. RESTORE: an exploratory trial of an online intervention to enhance self-efficacy to manage problems associated with cancer-related fatigue following primary cancer treatment: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials 2013, 14(184), 1-8.
- Foster C, Grimmett C, May C, Calman L, Yardley L, Richardson A, Smith P, Breckons M, Fenlon D, Armes J, Corner J, Hulme C, May C, Ream E. RESTORE: An Online Intervention to Enhance Self-Efﬁcacy to Self Manage Cancer RelatedFatigue Following Treatment. In: 15th World Congress of Psycho-Oncology. 2013, Rotterdam, The Netherlands: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Hankins M, Foster C, Hulbert-Williams N, Breckons M. The Brief COPE in cancer research. In: British Psychosocial Oncology 2013 Conference. 2013, Southampton, UK: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Molassiotis A, Russell W, Hughes J, Breckons M, Lloyd-Williams M, Richardson J, Hulme A, Brearley S, Campbell M, Garrow A, Ryder D. The effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of acupressure for the control and management of chemotherapy-related acute and delayed nausea: assessment of Nausea in Chemotherapy Research (ANCHoR), a randomised controlled trial. Health Technology Assessment 2013, 17(26), 1-114.
- Foster C, Cotterell P, Breckons M, Fenlon D. Cancer Survivors' Self-Efficacy to Self-Manage Problems Arising from Primary Cancer and its Treatment: Results of an Online Survey. In: Joint Meeting of the COSA 39th Annual Scientific Meeting and IPOS 14th World Congress of Psycho-Oncology. 2012, Brisbane, Australia: Wiley.
- Hughes J, Molassiotis A, Russell W, Breckons M, Lloyd-Williams M, Richardson J. The effectiveness and cost effectivenessof acupressure for chemotherapy-related nausea. In: International Research Congress on Integrative Medicine and Health 2012. 2012, Portland, Oregon, USA: BioMed Central Ltd.
- Breckons M, Cotterell P, Fenlon D, Foster C. Using an Online Survey to Examine Cancer Survivors' Confidence to Self-Manage Problems Arising from Primary Cancer and Its Treatment. In: British Psychosocial 2012 Conference. 2012, Leeds, UK: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Breckons M, Jones R, Morris J, Richardson J. Best paper selection. What do evaluation instruments tell us about the quality of complementary medicine information on the internet?. Yearbook of Medical Informatics 2009, 1, 110-111.
- Mackereth P, Campbell G, Maycock P, Hennings J, Breckons M. Chair massage for patients and carers: a pilot service in an outpatient setting of a cancer care hospital. Complementary therapies in clinical practice 2008, 14, 136-142.
- Breckons M. Development of an evidence based information resource on complementary therapies and cancer. University of Plymouth, 2008. Available at: http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/files/extranet/docs/DFB/KTP%20Seminar%20Proceedings%202008v2.pdf#page=5.
- Breckons M, Jones R, Morris J, Richardson J. What do evaluation instruments tell us about the quality of complementary medicine information on the internet?. Journal of Medical Internet Research 2008, 10.
- Foster C, Grimmett C, May CM, Ewings S, Myall M, Hulme C, Smith PW, Powers C, Calman L, Armes J, Breckons M, Corner J, Fenlon D, Batehup L, Lennan E, May CR, Morris C, Neylon A, Ream E, Turner L, Yardley L, Richardson A. A web-based intervention (RESTORE) to support self-management of cancer-related fatigue following primary cancer treatment: a multi-centre proof of concept randomised controlled trial. Supportive Care in Cancer 2016, 24(6), 2445-2453.
- Durham J, Shen J, Breckons M, Steele JG, Araujo-Soares V, Exley C, Vale L. Healthcare Cost and Impact of Persistent Orofacial Pain: The DEEP Study Cohort. Journal of Dental Research 2016, 95(10), 1147-1154.
- Durham J, Al-Baghdadi M, Baad-Hansen L, Breckons M, Goulet JP, Lobbezoo F, List T, Michelotti A, Nixdorf DR, Peck CC, Raphael K, Schiffman E, Steele JG, Story W, Ohrbach R. Self-management programmes in TMD: results from an international Delphi process. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 2016, 43(12), 929-936.
- Heasman PA, Macpherson LE, Haining SA, Breckons M. Clinical research in primary dental care. British Dental Journal 2015, 219(4), 159-163.
- Durham J, Steele JG, Breckons M, Story W, Vale L. DEEP Study: does EQ-5D-5L measure the impacts of persistent oro-facial pain?. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 2015, 42(9), 643-650.
- Foster C, Calman L, Grimmett C, Breckons M, Cotterell P, Yardley L, Joseph J, Hughes S, Jones R, Leonidou C, Armes L, Batehup L, Corner J, Fenlon D, Lennan E, Morris C, Neylon A, Ream E, Turner L, Richardson A. Managing fatigue after cancer treatment: development of RESTORE, a web-based resource to support self-management. Psycho-Oncology 2015, 24(8), 940-949.
- Parsons CF, Breckons M, Durham J. Twitter: a viable medium for daily pain diaries in chronic orofacial pain?. British Dental Journal 2015, 219(2), 75-78.
- Hughes JG, Russell W, Breckons M, Richardson J, Lloyd-Williams M, Molassiotis A. "I assumed that one was a placebo": Exploring the consent process in a sham controlled acupressure trial. Complementary Therapies in Medicine 2014, 22(5), 903-908.
- Foster C, Grimmett C, May CM, Ewings S, Myall M, Hulme C, Smith P, Powers C, Calman L, Armes J, Breckons M, Corner J, Fenlon D, Lennan E, May CR, Morris C, Ream E, Turner L, Yardley L, Richardson A. RESTORE: Testing Feasibility and Acceptability of an Online Intervention to Support Self-management of Cancer-related Fatigue in a Multi-centre Proof of Concept Randomised Controlled Trial. In: IPOS 16th World Congress of Psycho-Oncology and Psychosocial Academy. 2014, Lisbon, Portugal: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing, Inc.
- Breckons M, Bissett S, Exley C, Araujo-Soares V, Durham J. Care Pathways in Persistent Orofacial Pain: Qualitative Evidence from the DEEP Study. Journal of Dental Research Clinical and Translational Research 2017, 2(1), 48-57.
- Polthoff S, Presseau J, Sniehotta F, Breckons M, Rylance A, Avery L. The impact of dual processes and competing goals on health professionals' uptake of a new information prescription for diabetes. In: International Congress of Behavioral Medicine. 2016, Melbourne, Australia: Springer.
- Patterson JM, Exley C, McColl E, Breckons M, Deary V. Feasibility and acceptability of combining cognitive behavioural therapy techniques with swallowing therapy in head and neck cancer dysphagia. BMC Cancer 2018, 18, 1.