Dr Michelle Addison
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 0191 208 3031
Michelle is part of a core team developing the Equal North Network, a community of academics, researchers and practitioners across the north of England who share a common interest in addressing health and social inequalities. This network specifically aims to support PHE in taking forward the Due North Report recommendations. The team include Prof Eileen Kaner and Prof Clare Bambra.
Michelle is co-investigator for the study: 'Exploring Novel Psychoactive Substance (NPS) use and its consequences for police practitioners and substance users in the North East of England', working alongside Prof Eileen Kaner, Dr Iain McKinnon, Dr Ruth McGovern, Dr Kelly Stockdale (Teesside University), Will McGovern (Northumbria University), Dr Lisa Crowe, and Chief Inspector Lisa Hogan (Northumbria Police).
Check out: http://fuseopenscienceblog.blogspot.co.uk/
Michelle is project manager of ATTUNE: Understanding Pathways to Stimulant Use: a mixed-methods examination of the individual, social and cultural factors shaping illicit stimulant use across Europe; working alongside Dr Amy O' Donnell (PI), Prof Eileen Kaner (PI) and Dr Ruth McGovern and EU partners
ACCEPT - A pilot feasibility randomized control trial of alcohol screening and brief intervention in the police custody setting
Michelle's research interests are in:
- Social and health inequalities
- Substance Use
- Criminological settings
- Identity Formations
- Social Relations - game-playing, logic of practice
- Theory: P. Bourdieu; E. Goffman; A. Hochschild
Previous to this Michelle worked as a Researcher in the private sector for several years, conducting research for clients such as the BBC, ITV, The Northumbrian Criminal Justice Board, UTV, The Children's Society and EMAP. Michelle moved into academia to work as a Researcher on the ESRC funded study: ‘From the coal to the car park?’ with Professor Yvette Taylor (PI) looking at gender intersections within a post-industrial climate. She has also worked on the 'Bright Lights, Big city?', looking at queer identity and scene space within a post-industrial landscape (PIs Prof Yvette Taylor and Dr Mark Casey). She has extensive qualitative experience working with hard to reach demographics, 'elite' groups, and vulnerable groups of people across multiples themes.
Social Sciences (BA Hons) Durham University
Social Research (MA) Newcastle University, 1st Class
PhD, Newcastle University
Bambra C, Kaner E, Whitehead M, Salway S, Addison M, Moffatt S, Carr S, Powell K, Barr B, Holland P, Taylor-Robinson D, Popay J, Hatton C, Orton L, Collins M, Johnson P. Equal North 2: Taking forward the Due North research agenda. £91,793
McGovern R (PI); Kaner, E.; Gilvarry, E.; Lingham, R.; Alderson, H.; Addison, M.; Geijer-Simpson, E.; Minos, D. 'Addressing the impact of parental substance misuse on children', Public Health England, 2016, £59,903.37
M.Addison (co-I); Kaner, E. (co-I); Crowe, L.; McGovern, R.; McKinnon, I.; French, J.; Benson, K. Exploring Novel Psychoactive Substance (NPS) use and its consequences for police practitioners and substance users in the North East of England. investigator, N8 Police Research Partnership, 2016, £23,500
- Addison M, Stockdale K, McGovern R, McGovern W, McKinnon I, Crowe L, Hogan L, Kaner E. Exploring intersections between Novel Psychoactive Substances (NPS) and other substance use in a police custody suite setting in the North East of England. Drugs: Education, Prevention & Policy 2017, epub ahead of print.
- O'Donnell A, Addison M, Spencer L, Zurhold H, Rosenkranz M, McGovern R, Gilvarry E, Martens M, Verthein U, Kaner E. Which individual, social and environmental influences shape different pathways of amphetamine type stimulant use over the life course? A systematic review and thematic synthesis of the qualitative literature. 2017. In Preparation.
- McGovern R, Gilvarry E, Addison M, Alderson H, Carr L, Geijer-Simpson E, Hrisos N, Lingam R, Minos D, Smart D, Kaner E. The health, psychological, educational and social impact of non-dependent parental substance misuse upon the child age 0-18 years: a rapid evidence assessment. Trauma, violence and abuse 2017. Submitted.
- Addison M. Overcoming Arlie Hochschild’s concepts of the 'real' and 'false' self by drawing on Pierre Bourdieu's concept of habitus. Emotion, Space and Society 2017, 23, 9-15.
- Addison M. Social games and Identity Distinction at work: Playing with class, gender and emotion (contracted). Houndsmill, Basingstoke and Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016.
- Addison M, Mountford V. Talking the talk and fitting in: Troubling the practices of speaking ‘what you are worth’ in Higher Education in the UK. Sociological Research Online 2015, 20(2), 4.
- Taylor Y, Addison M. Placing Research: 'City Publics' and the 'Public Sociologist'. In: Y. Taylor, ed. The Entrepreneurial University: Engaging Publics, Intersecting Impacts. Houndsmill, Basingstoke, Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan, 2014, pp.242-260.
- Taylor Y, Addison M, ed. Queer Presences and Absences. Hounsdmill, Basingstoke and Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan, 2012.
- Crowe L, Addison M, Vaittinen A. 'Lay views of termination of pregnancy for non-lethal fetal anomaly: Acceptable termination through stigmatising the mother'. In: BJOG Special Issue (Published abstract). 2016. Submitted.
- Crowe L, Addison M, Vaittinen A. The ‘right’ kind of mother: Inscription of stigma on termination of pregnancy for fetal anomaly decisions. Sociological Research Online 2017. Submitted.
- Addison M. Feeling your way within and across classed spaces: The (re)making and (un)doing of identities of value within Higher Education in the UK. In: Y. Taylor, ed. Educational Diversity: The subject of difference and different subjects. Hounsdmill, Basingstoke and Hampshire: Palgrave Macmillan, 2012. In Press.
- Taylor Y, Addison M. Placing Research: 'City Publics' and the 'Public Sociologist'. Sociological Research Online 2011, 16(4), ARTN 6.
- Addison M. Unpaid Labor. In: Strange, Z.; Strange, M.; Carol, K. and G. J. Golson, ed. The Multimedia Encyclopaedia of Women in Today’s World. Thousand Oaks: Sage, 2011. In Press.
- Taylor Y, Addison M. (Re)constituting the past, (re)branding the present and (re)imagining the future: women's spatial negotiation of gender and class. Journal of Youth Studies 2009, 12(5), 563-578.
- Taylor Y, Addison M (eds.). Special Issue: FWSA Essay Competition. Journal of International Women's Studies 2009, 11(3).
- Addison M, Roy S. Special Issue: Feminist and Women's Studies Association Annual Student Essay Competition. Journal of International Women's Studies 2011, 12(2). In Press.
- Addison M. Book Review: D. Oesch 'Redrawing the Class Map: Stratification and Institutions in Britain, Germany, Sweden and Switzerland'. Sociology 2008, 42, 1029.
- Addison M, Stockdale K, McGovern R, McGovern W, McKinnon I, Crowe L, Hogan L, Kaner E. Exploring Novel Psychoactive Substance (NPS) use and its consequences for police practitioners and substance users in the North East of England. N8 Policing Research Partnership, 2017.