Dr Nicole Valtorta
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: Institute of Health and Society / Newcastle University Institute for Ageing
Biomedical Research Building (Second floor)
Campus for Ageing and Vitality
Newcastle upon Tyne
BackgroundI am a mixed-methods researcher in public health, with experience of conducting qualitative and quantitative research and systematic reviews. I am currently working on the health implications of social relationships and health inequity across the life course. Prior to joining Newcastle University in December 2016, I was a NIHR Doctoral Research Fellow at the University of York, studying the links between loneliness, social isolation and health outcomes in later life. Before training in social epidemiology (PhD, University of York, 2017), I studied history (BA and MSt., University of Oxford, 2008 and 2009) and health and social policy (MPH, University of Political Sciences of Paris, 2011) and have a particular interest in multidisciplinary research and linking research to policy and practice.
My research is concerned with the social determinants of health in general, and the health and societal implications of social relationships in particular.
Completed projects include:
- investigating transitions between care settings at the end of life using qualitative interview data from health and social care professionals;
- systematically reviewing the evidence on the out of pocket costs associated with chronic disease;
- synthesising the quantitative evidence on the link between loneliness, social isolation and incident cardiovascular disease.
Building on this latter piece of work, I am currently collaborating with colleagues at Newcastle University to develop a program of research on social relationships and health, drawing on cross-national comparative work and interdisciplinary perspectives.
- Valtorta NK. Loneliness and isolation: the "problem" as apprehended in the United Kingdom (In French: Solitude et isolement : le "problème" tel qu’il est appréhendé au Royaume-Uni). Gérontologie et société 2016, 38(149), 41-53.
- Valtorta NK, Kanaan M, Gilbody S, Ronzi S, Hanratty B. Loneliness and social isolation as risk factors for coronary heart disease and stroke: systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal observational studies. Heart 2016, 102(13), 1009-1016.
- Valtorta NK, Kanaan M, Gilbody S, Hanratty B. Loneliness, social isolation and social relationships: what are we measuring? A novel framework for classifying and comparing tools. BMJ Open 2016, 6(4), e010799.
- Hanratty B, Lowson E, Grande G, Payne S, Addington-Hall J, Valtorta N, Seymour J. Transitions at the end of life for older adults – patient, carer and professional perspectives: a mixed-methods study. Health Services and Delivery Research 2014, 2(17).
- Hanratty B, Valtorta NK, Lowson E. Inter-professional relationships: an overlooked influence on end-of-life transitions for older adults:A qualitative study in England. Gertontologist 2013, 53, 73-74.
- Hanratty B, Valtorta NK, Lowson E, Grande G, Addington-Hall J, Payne SA, Seymour J. Inter-professional relationships:an overlooked influence on end-of-life transitions for older adults: A qualitative study in England. In: Gerontological Society of America 66th Annual Scientific Meeting. 2013, New Orleans.
- Hanratty B, Valtorta NK. Loneliness, social isolation and the health of older adults: The costs of inaction. Gerontologist 2013, 53 Supplement 1, 551.
- Hanratty B, Valtorta N, Moore D. Loneliness, social isolation and the health of older adults: The economic costs of inaction. In: Gerontological Society of America 66th Annual Scientific Meeting. 2013, New Orleans.
- Valtorta N, Hanratty B, Lowson E, Grande G, Addington-Hall J, Seymour J, Payne S. Recognising the influence of inter-professional relations on end of life care transitions: views of bereaved carers and professionals. 2013.
- Valtorta NK, Hanratty B. Socioeconomic variation in the financial consequences of ill health for older peoplewith chronic diseases: a systematic review. Maturitas 2013, 74(4), 313-333.
- Valtorta N, Hanratty B. Loneliness, isolation and the health of older adults: do we need a new research agenda?. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine 2012, 105(12), 518-522.
- Valtorta NK, Collingridge-Moore D, Barron L, Stow D, Hanratty B. Older Adults’ Social Relationships and Health Care Utilization: A Systematic Review. American Journal of Public Health 2018, 108(4), e1-e10.
- Ronzi S, Orton L, Pope D, Valtorta NK, Bruce NG. What is the impact on health and wellbeing of interventions that foster respect and social inclusion in community-residing older adults? A systematic review of quantitative and qualitative studies. Systematic Reviews 2018, 7(1), 26.
- Leigh-Hunt N, Bagguley D, Bash K, Turner V, Turnbull S, Valtorta NK, Caan W. An overview of systematic reviews on the public health consequences of social isolation and loneliness. Public Health 2017, 152, 157-171.