Professor Paula Moynihan
Prof of Nutrition & Oral Health
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8241
- Fax: 01912225928
- Personal Website: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/dental/research/diet/
- Address: School of Dental Sciences
Newcastle upon Tyne
As Director of the Centre for Oral Health Research (COHR) I facilitate cross-Faculty research related to oral health. The COHR was designated as a University Research Centre in 2010 and currently approximately 67 staff and students work with the COHR.
As Director of the only World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Nutrition and Oral Health, I assist WHO in providing update sound information on the relationships between nutrition, oral health and general health in order that WHO may assist countries in development and adjustment of public health programmes. The WHO collaborating Centre also assists WHO to strengthen research capacity in the area of diet, nutrition and oral health. The WHO Collaborating Centre also assists WHO in implementing the appropriate education curricular inclusion of non-communicable diseases common risk factor approaches, diet and nutrition, and oral health promotion. The WHO Collaborating Centre was established in 1996, I became Director in 2001. It is now one of the longest established Collaborating Centres in the area of Nutrition.
I am Professor of Nutrition and Oral Health in the School of Dental Sciences and I also lead the 'Ageing Across the Life-course' Research theme in the Newcastle University Institute for Ageing.
Roles and Responsibilities
Director Newcastle University Centre for Oral Health Research.
Director WHO Collaborating Centre for Nutrition and Oral Health,
Professor of Nutrition and Oral Health.
Theme Lead ‘Ageing Across the Life-Course’ Newcastle Institute for Ageing.
Course lead for undergraduate courses in the BDS programme (Metabolism & Homeostasis; Nutrition & Diet) and teach on several other undergraduate degree programmes (MBBS, BSC (Hons) Food & Human Nutrition and MRes Ageing and Health.
Chair of Executive Committee of COHR
Member of the School of Dental Sciences Executive Committee (Director of Research)
Member of the
Human Nutrition Research Centre
Member of the BDS Stage 1 and Stage 2 Co-ordinating Committees
Member of Newcastle University Ethics Committee
Member of the BDS Student Recruitment Committee
PhD in Nutrition, University of Surrey 1990, Thesis title:’ The Relationship between Carnitine Status and Ketone Bodies in Injury and Disease’.
BSc, Nutrition and Dietetics, University of Surrey 1986
State Registration in Dietetics, University of Surrey 1986
Reader in Nutrition and Oral Health, Newcastle University 2006-2008
Senior Lecturer in Nutrition, Newcastle University 2001-2006
Lecturer in Nutrition, Newcastle University 1991-2001
Lecturer in Nutrition, School of Biological Sciences, University of Surrey 1990-1991
International Association for Dental Research
Association for Nutrition
American Society for Nutrition
Association of Basic Science Teachers in Dentistry
Health and Care Professionals Council
Vice President of the International Association for Dental Research
External expert advisor to the WHO Nutrition Guideline Advisory Group (sub-panel on diet and health) 2010-present.
Member of the European Food Safety Authority Working Group on Added Sugars (2017-2020).
President of the Geriatric Oral Research Group of the International Association for Dental Research (2016-present)
Past President of the Nutrition Research Group of the International Association for Dental Research (2000-2001)
Chair of the Distinguished Scientist Award Committee for the Geriatric Oral Research Group of IADR (2014)
Past Council member of the International Association for Dental Research (Nutrition Research Group) 20012-2014)
Member of the Management Committee of the BSODR (British Society for Oral and Dental Research (2013-2016)
Member of the ESRC Peer Review College (2010-present).
Honours and Awards:
International Association for Dental Research Distinguished Scientist Award (Geriatric Oral Research) 2010
Recipient of the Nutrition Society Silver Medal 2004 (for excellence in research by a young scientist)
Current Research Projects
Public Health England: ‘Change4Life Sugars Campaign: impact on sugars intake by children aged 5-11 years and identification of barriers/facilitations to reducing consumption’. Principal investigator:
WHO commissioned Systematic Review on intake of dietary starch and oral health. Principal Investigator
WHO commissioned systematic review of the aetiological factors contributing to the development of early childhood caries. Principal investigator. Funded by the Borrow Foundation.
The Development of a behavioural intervention manual to enhance twice daily tooth brushing (sub-study on the impact on diet). Sub-study on diet lead. 2015-2018. GlaxoSmithKline R&D.
Selected past research projects
National Institute of Health Research (NIHR). ‘Implementing person centred co-ordinated care for older people in care homes. How should Dentists be involved?’ Co-Investigator.
World Health Organization. Systematic review of the amount of sugars and dental caries. Principal investigator. 2011-2013.
RCUK Cross Research Council’s Life Long Health and Wellbeing Programme. ‘Development of interventions to enhance health and wellbeing in later life (The LIVEWELL Programme).’ £2,300,000. Principal Investigator on work package developing a dietary intervention. 2010-2015.
- Department of Health. ‘VegBP: effects of selected vegetables on cardiovascular function.’ £859,448. Co-investigator. 2010-2013.
- RCUK Cross Research Council’s ‘New Dynamics of Ageing Programme. ‘MAPPmal: Multidisciplinary approach to produce a prototype for the prevention of malnutrition in older people.’ £1,086,000. Principal Investigator. 2008-2012.
- EU Framework Programme 7 Marie Curie Industry-Academia Partnership and Pathways (with Philips Research Eindhoven). ‘Balance@Home, Consumer solutions for guidance towards meal planning, meal preparation and personal choice.’ £190,200. Co-investigator. 2010-2012.
Food Standards Agency. ‘Introducing healthier menus in residential care homes for older people: evaluation of barriers, facilitators and the impact on dietary intake’. £693,727. Principal Investigator. 2008-2011.
Food Standards Agency. ‘Measurement of packaged food intake of selected groups of adults and the elderly.’ £332,597. Co-investigator. 2007-2009.
The Borrow Foundation/Department of Health. ‘Urinary fluoride excretion studies to determine urinary fluoride excretion following an increased fluoride load through an increase fluoride dose in milk.’ £129,360. Co-investigator.
National Institute of Health Research Health Technology Assessment Board. ‘LIFELAX - Lifestyle versus laxatives in the management of chronic constipation in older people’. £904,398. Co-investigator.
Food Standards Agency. ‘Design and evaluation of peer-led community based food clubs: A means to improve the diets of older people from socially deprived backgrounds.’ £511,386. Principal Investigator.
I am Vice President of the International Association for Dental Research
I am a member of the European Food Safety Authority Working Group on Added Sugars (2017-2020)
I was awarded an International Association for Dental Research Distinguished Scientist Award for 'Geriatric Oral Research' in 2010.
I am an external advisor on diet and oral health, to the WHO NUGAG Sub-Group on Diet and Health.
I was awarded the Nutrition Society Silver Medal in July 2004 for 'Excellence in research by a young scientist'
I was a member of the 2002, WHO Expert Consultation on Diet, Nutrition and the Prevention of Chronic Diseases.
Invited presentations to academic and professional conferences
Related to my research, I have given invited oral presentations in 23 countries across 7 regions of the world including Africa (South Africa), Australasia (e.g. New Zealand), Asia (e.g. China, Japan, South Korea, Thailand), Europe (e.g. Finland, Ireland, Switzerland), the Middle East (United Arab Emirates), North America (Canada and USA) and South America (Brazil), including in the last 4 years:
Symposium Presentation ‘General Nutritional Benefits of Breastfeeding; WHO Recommendations’ IADR San Francisco USA March 2017.
Symposium Presentation ‘Dietary intervention to prevent early childhood caries. I4th ISPPD National PG Convention, Bengaluru India February 2017.
Symposium Presentation at the National Oral Health Programme Kuwait symposium on ‘Is sugar the new tobacco: situation in Kuwait and way forward’ Kuwait, February 2017.
Keynote presentation at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, international conference on ‘Sugar is the new Tobacco’, New Delhi, India, 2016.
Keynote presentation at the annual conference of the Norwegian Dental Association on ‘Sugars: effect on caries and global policy on intake’, Stavanger, Norway, 2016.
Symposium presentation at the joint ORCA/European Association for Dental Public Health Joint symposium on ‘Sugar: the Oral Health Perspective’, Athens, Greece, 2016.
Symposium presentation at the UAE International Dental Conference and Arab Dental Exhibition (AEEDC) on ‘The role of dietary modification in caries prevention and control’, Dubai,United Arab Emirates, 2016.
Keynote presentation at meeting hosted by the Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand on ‘Nutrition Interventions against Early Childhood Caries’, Bangkok,Thailand, 2016.
Symposium presentation at the annual meeting of the Oral Health Promotion Research Group Ireland on ‘Sugars and dental caries’, Dublin, Ireland, 2015.
Symposium presentation at the International Association for Dental Research Global Inequalities in Oral Health Group conference on Sugars. Boston, USA, 2015.
Symposium presentation at the American Society for Nutrition Controversies in Clinical Nutrition Conference. ‘Sugars and dental health’, Washington DC, USA, 2014.
Symposium presentation at the annual meeting of the British Association for the Study of Community Dentistry on ‘Recommended thresholds for free sugars have been halved: what does this mean for public health practice’, London,England, 2015.
- Symposium presentation at the FDI World Oral Health Forum. ‘The WHO and global policy on sugars’, Bangkok, Thailand, 2015.
- Symposium presentation at the University of California San Francisco School of Dentistry 5th Annual Global Oral Health Symposium ‘Sugars: effect on dental caries and global policy on intake’, San Francisco,USA, 2015.
- Symposium presentation at the annual meeting of the British Association for the Study of Community Dentistry. ‘Should recommendations for sugars intake be halved?’ London, England, 2014.
- Symposium presentation at the World Congress in Preventive Dentistry, ‘Guidelines for diet and nutrition that improve oral health’, Budapest, Hungary, 2013.
- Keynote presentation at the Brazilian Congress of Nutrition and Ageing ‘Nutrition and Oral Health in Older People’, Rio Grande do Sol, Brazil, 2013.
- Keynote presentation at the Brazilian Congress of Nutrition and Ageing ‘hospitalfoodie: re-designing the hospital food service and nutritional management of older people’, Rio Grande do Sol, Brazil, 2013.
Symposium presentation at the International Association of Gerontology and Geriatrics: New World Congress. New Dynamics of Ageing: 'Digital tools to facilitate policies and practices to enhance well-being in later life’, Seoul, South Korea, 2013.
- Symposium presentation to the Chinese Nutrition Society meeting. ‘Systematic review of the evidence for the relationship between the amount of sugars consumption and dental caries’, Hangzhou, China, 2013.
Bachelor of Dental Surgery and Bachelor of Oral and Dental Health Sciences:
Course leader for ‘Metabolism and Homeostasis’ in year one (I led on the development of this course).
Course leader for ‘Nutrition and Diet’ in year two (I led on the development of this course).
Lecture on ‘Dietary management of chronic disease of childhood’ to year 3.
Lecture on ‘Clinical nutrition, nutritional support’ in the Human Diseases course in year 4.
Human Nutrition and Health BSc:
Lectures on ‘Nutrition and oral health’ to final year students.
Supervise final year honours projects in nutrition and health.
Bachelor of Biomedical Sciences, Clinical Ageing and Health Module
Lecture on ‘Nutrition and Oral Health in Older people’
I lecture on ‘Nutrition and Oral Health in Older People’ to the Masters in Research ‘Clinical Ageing’ module and the Masters in Medical Sciences, ‘Ageing and Health’ courses.
- Walls R, Zohoori V, Teasdale L, Landes D, Steen IN, Moynihan P, Lloyd J, Omid N, Maguire A. Compliance with school F-milk and non-F milk intake in 3 to 4 and 6 to 7 year old children. Community Dental Health 2012, 29(2), 188-192.
- Huew R, Waterhouse P, Moynihan P, Kometa S, Maguire A. Dental caries and its association with diet and dental erosion in Libyan schoolchildren. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2012, 22(1), 68-76.
- Kelly SAM, Hyland RM, Ellis JS, Thomason JM, Moynihan P. Development of a patient-based questionnaire about emotional and social issues related to eating and dentures. Journal of Dentistry 2012, 40(8), 678-685.
- Iwasaki M, Moynihan P, Mann M, Yoshihara A, Muramatsu K, Watanabe R, Miyazaki H. Dietary antioxidants and periodontal disease in community-based older Japanese: a 2-year follow-up study. Public Health Nutrition 2013, 16(2), 330-338.
- Chapple I, Griffiths H, Milward M, Grant M, Moynihan P. Dietary Issues of Periodontal Pathogenesis. 2013. In Press.
- Maguire A, Omid N, Abuhaloob L, Moynihan PJ, Zohoori FV. Fluoride concentrations of Ready-to-Feed (RTF) infant foods and drinks in the UK. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 2012, 40(1), 26-36.
- Heaven B, Bamford C, May CR, Moynihan P. Food work and feeding assistance on hospital wards. Sociology of Health and Illness 2013, 35(4), 628-642.
- Zohoori FV, Moynihan PJ, Omid N, Abuhaloob L, Maguire A. Impact of water fluoride concentration on the fluoride content of infant foods and drinks requiring preparation with liquids before feeding. Community Dentistry Oral Epidemiology 2012, 40(5), 432-440.
- Comber R, Weeden J, Hoare J, Lindsay S, Teal G, Macdonald A, Methven L, Moynihan P, Olivier P. Supporting visual assessment of food and nutrient intake in a clinical care setting. In: ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing (CHI'12). 2012, Austin, Texas, USA: ACM Press.
- Moynihan P. The role of diet in the prevention of dental diseases. In: Limeback, H, ed. Comprehensive Preventive Dentistry. Ames, Iowa, USA: Wiley-Blackwell, 2012, pp.99-114.
- Ploetz T, Moynihan P, Pham C, Olivier P. Activity Recognition and Healthier Food Preparation. In: Chen, L., Nugent, C.D., Biswas, J., Hoey, J, ed. Activity Recognition in Pervasive Intelligent Environments. Amsterdam, Netherlands: Atlantis Press, 2011, pp.313-339.
- Preshaw PM, Walls AWG, Jakubovics NS, Moynihan PJ, Jepson NJA, Loewy Z. Association of removable partial denture use with oral and systemic health. Journal of Dentistry 2011, 39(11), 711-719.
- Walls R, Zohoori V, Teasdale L, Landes D, Steen IN, Moynihan P, Lloyd J, Omid N, Maguire A. Compliance with school F-milk and non-F milk intake in 3 to 4 and 6 to 7 year old children. Community Dental Health 2011.
- Huew R, Waterhouse P, Moynihan P, Maguire A. Dental erosion among 12 year old Libyan school children. Community Dental Health 2011.
- Huew R, Waterhouse PJ, Moynihan PJ, Maguire A. Dental erosion among 12 year-old Libyan schoolchildren. Community Dental Health 2012, 29(4), 279-283.
- Huew R, Waterhouse PJ, Moynihan PJ, Kometa S, Maguire A. Dental erosion and its association with diet in Libyan schoolchildren. European Archives of Paediatric Dentistry 2011, 12(5), 234-240.
- Iwasaki M, Taylor G, Moynihan P, Yoshihara A, Muramatsu K, Watanabe R, Miyazaki H. Dietary ratio of n-6 to n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and periodontal disease in community based older Japanese: a 3-year follow up study. Prostaglandins, Leukotrienes and Essential Fatty Acids 2011, 85(2), 107-112.
- Mavrommatis Y, Moynihan P, Gosney M, Methven L. Hospital catering systems and their impact on the sensorial profile of foods provided to older patients in the UK. Appetite 2011, 57(1), 14-20.
- Bamford C, Heaven B, May CR, Moynihan P. Implementing nutrition guidelines for older people in residential care homes: a qualitative study using Normalization Process Theory. Implementation Science 2012, 7(1), 106.
- Spraggon V, Kelly SAM, Adamson AJ, Seal C, Steen IN, May CR, Moynihan P. Introducing government nutrition guidelines into residential care homes for older people: impact on the nutrient profile of food provided and consumed. British Journal of Nutrition 2011. In Preparation.
- Huew R, Waterhouse PJ, Moynihan PJ, Maguire A. Prevalence and severity of dental caries in Libyan schoolchildren. International Dental Journal 2011, 61(4), 217-223.
- Iwasaki M, Manz MC, Moynihan P, Yoshihara A, Muramatsu K, Watanabe R, Miyazaki H. Relationship between saturated fatty acids and periodontal disease. Journal of Dental Research 2011, 90(7), 861-867.
- Preshaw P, Moynihan P, Walls A, Jakubovics N, Jepson NJA, Loewy Z. The association between partial prosthesis nutrition and diet. Journal of Dentistry 2011.
- Wagner J, van Halteren A, Hoonhout J, Ploetz T, Pham C, Moynihan P, Jackson D, Ladha C, Ladha K, Olivier P. Towards a pervasive kitchen infrastructure for measuring cooking competence. In: International Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare (PervasiveHealth'11). 2011, Dublin, Ireland: IEEE.
- Linehan C, Doughty M, Lawson S, Kirman B, Olivier P, Moynihan P. Tagliatelle: Social tagging to encourage healthier eating. In: 28th Annual CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. 2010, Atlanta, Georgia, USA: ACM Press.
- Heaven B, Bamford C, May C, Moynihan P. When 30-40cms becomes a problem: Feeding, food-work and the space between patient and plate on hospital wards. In: Newcastle Human Nutrition Research Centre – research Day. 2010, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
- Heaven B, Bamford C, May C, Moynihan P. When 30-40cms becomes a problem: Feeding, food-work and the space between patient and plate on hospital wards. . In: British Sociological Association - Medical Sociology Conference. 2010, Durham University, UK.
- Kelly SA, Moynihan PJ. Attitudes and practices of dentists with respect to nutrition and periodontal health. British Dental Journal 2008, 205(4), E9.
- Bradbury J, Thomason JM, Jepson NJA, Walls AWG, Mulvaney CE, Allen PF, Moynihan PJ. Perceived chewing ability and intake of fruit and vegetables. Journal of Dental Research 2008, 87(8), 720-725.
- Rugg-Gunn AJ, Fletcher ES, Matthews JNS, Hackett AF, Moynihan PJ, Kelly SAM, Adams JM, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ. Changes in consumption of sugars by English adolescents over 20 years. Public Health Nutrition 2007, 10(4), 354-363.
- Auad SM, Waterhouse PJ, Nunn JH, Steen N, Moynihan PJ. Dental erosion amongst 13- and 14-year-old Brazilian schoolchildren. International Dental Journal 2007, 57(3), 161-167.
- Lake AA, Speed C, Brookes AL, Heaven BRJ, Adamson AJ, Moynihan PJ, Corbett SS, McColl EMM. Development of a series of patient information leaflets for constipation using a range of cognitive interview techniques: LIFELAX. BMC Health Services Research 2007, 7(3).
- Maguire A, Zohouri FV, Hindmarch PN, Hatts J, Moynihan PJ. Fluoride intake and urinary excretion in 6- to 7-year-old children living in optimally, sub-optimally and non-fluoridated areas. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 2007, 35(6), 479-488.
- Hyland RM, Wood CE, Adamson AJ, Mathers JC, Hill M, Seal CJ, Moynihan PJ. Peer educators' perceptions of training for and implementing a community-based nutrition intervention for older adults. Journal of Nutrition for the Elderly 2007, 25(3-4), 147-171.
- Moynihan PJ, Mulvaney CE, Adamson AJ, Seal C, Steen N, Mathers JC, Zohouri FV. The nutrition knowledge of older adults living in sheltered housing accommodation. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 2007, 20(5), 446-458.
- Thomason JM, Moynihan PJ, Steen N, Jepson NJA. Time to survival for the restoration of the shortened lower dental arch. Journal of Dental Research 2007, 86(7), 646-650.
- Moynihan P. Dietary therapy in chronically sick children: Dental health considerations. Quintessence International 2006, 37(6), 444-448.
- Zohouri FV, Swinbank CM, Maguire A, Moynihan PJ. Is the fluoride/creatinine ratio of a spot urine sample indicative of 24-h urinary fluoride?. Community Dentistry and Oral Epidemiology 2006, 34(2), 130-138.
- Bradbury J, Thomason JM, Jepson NJA, Walls AWG, Allen PF, Moynihan PJ. Nutrition counseling increases fruit and vegetable intake in the edentulous. Journal of Dental Research 2006, 85(5), 463-468.
- Hyland R, Stacy R, Adamson A, Moynihan P. Nutrition-related health promotion through an after-school project: The responses of children and their families. In: Patient Organisation Movements. 2006, Social Science and Medicine, Pergamon.
- Zohouri FV, Maguire A, Moynihan PJ. Sources of dietary fluoride intake in 6-7-year-old English children receiving optimally, sub-optimally, and non-fluoridated water. Journal of Public Health Dentistry 2006, 66(4), 227-234.
- Maguire A, Zohouri FV, Mathers JC, Steen IN, Hindmarch PN, Moynihan PJ. Bioavailability of fluoride in drinking water: A human experimental study. Journal of Dental Research 2005, 84(11), 989-993.
- Kelly SAM, Summerbell C, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Adamson A, Fletcher E, Moynihan PJ. Comparison of methods to estimate non-milk extrinsic sugars and their application to sugars in the diet of young adolescents. British Journal of Nutrition 2005, 94(1), 114-124.
- Hyland RM, Hill M, Adamson AJ, Seal C, Mathers JC, Moynihan PJ. Perceptions of peer educators on their training and delivery of a dietary intervention to older adults. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 2005, 18(6), 475.
- Zohouri FV, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Fletcher ES, Hackett AF, Moynihan PJ, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ. Changes in water intake of Northumbrian adolescents 1980 to 2000. British Dental Journal 2004, 196(9), 547-552.
- Fletcher ES, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Matthews JNS, Hackett A, Moynihan PJ, Mathers JC, Adamson AJ. Changes over 20 years in macronutrient intake and body mass index in 11- to 12-year-old adolescents living in Northumberland. British Journal of Nutrition 2004, 92(2), 321-333.
- Moynihan P, Petersen PE. Diet, nutrition and the prevention of dental diseases. Public Health Nutrition 2004, 7(1a), 201-226.
- Moynihan PJ, Lingström P. The oral consequences of compromised nutritional well-being. In: Touger-Decker, R., Sirois, D., Mobley, C, ed. Nutrition and Oral Medicine. New Jersey, USA: The Humana Press Inc, 2004, pp.107-128.
- Moynihan PJ, Bradbury J, Thomason M, Walls A, Jepson N. [abstract] Consumption of fruit and vegetables and perceived chewing ability. Journal of Dental Research 2003, 82(special issue B), B267 abstract no. 2050.
- Dhaliwal JS, Steele JG, Sheiham A, Walls AWG, Marcenes W, Moynihan P. [abstract] Does tooth loss affect fruit and vegetable intake in older people?. Journal of Dental Research 2003, 82(special issue B), B267.
- Amine EK, Baba NH, Belhadj M, Deurenberg-Yap M, Djazayery A, Forrestre T, Galuska DA, Herman S, James WPT, M'Buyamba Kabangu JR, Katan MB, Key TJ, Kumanyika S, Mann J, Moynihan PJ, Musaiger AO, Olwit GW, Petkeviciene J, Prentice A, Reddy KS, Schatzkin A, Seidell JC, Simopoulos AP, Srianujata S, Steyn N, Swinburn B, Uauy R, Wahlqvist M, Zhao-Su W, Yoshiike N, Rabenek S, Bagchi K, Cavalli-Sforza T, Clugston GA, Darnton-Hill I, Ferro-Luzzi A, Leowski J, Nishida C, Nyamwaya D, Ouedraogo A, Pietinen P, Puska P, Riboli E, Robertson A, Shetty P, Weisell R, Yach D. Diet, nutrition and the prevention of chronic diseases. Switzerland: World Health Organization, 2003. World Health Organization - Technical Report Series 916.
- Zohouri FV, Maguire A, Moynihan PJ. Evaluation of the ion selective electrode for assaying fluoride. In: 1st Annual Meeting of the International Association for Dental Research. 2003, Cardiff, UK: Sage Publications, Inc.
- Hatts J, Zohouri FV, Moynihan P, Maguire A. Fluoride concentration of soft drinks in the UK. Journal of Dental Research 2003, 82(special issue B), B267 abstract no. 2052.
- Zohouri FV, Maguire A, Moynihan PJ. Fluoride content of still bottled waters available in the North-East of England, UK. British Dental Journal 2003, 195(9), 515-518.
- Lingström P, Moynihan PJ. Nutrition, saliva and oral health. Nutrition 2003, 19(6), 567-569.
- Lingstrom P, Moynihan P. Nutrition, saliva, and oral health. Nutrition 2003, 19(6), 567-569.
- Moynihan PJ. Oral care and general health: Opportunities for the Dental Hygienist in Health Education in the New Century. In: European Workshop on Oral Care and General Health. 2003, Munchenwiler, Switzerland.
- Jepson N, Allen F, Moynihan P, Kelly P, Thomason M. Patient satisfaction following restoration of shortened mandibular dental arches in a randomized controlled trial. International Journal of Prosthodontics 2003, 16(4), 409-414.
- Kelly SAM, Moynihan PJ, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Summerbell CD. Review of methods used to estimate non-milk extrinsic sugars. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 2003, 16(1), 27-38.
- Moynihan PJ, Lingstrom P, Birkhed D, Rugg-Gunn AJ. The role of dietary control. In: Fejerskov, O., Kidd, E, ed. Dental Caries: The Disease and Its Clinical Management. Oxford, UK: Blackwell Munksgaard, 2003, pp.223-244.
- Anderson AS, Bell A, Adamson A, Moynihan P. A questionnaire assessment of nutrition knowledge - validity and reliability issues. Public Health Nutrition 2002, 5(3), 497-503.
- Moynihan PJ. Dietary advice in dental practice. British Dental Journal 2002, 193(10), 563-568.
- Moynihan P, Ettinger R, Young WG, Lussi A, Nunn J, Walls AWG. Dietary and nutritional aspects of tooth wear. Journal of Dental Research 2002, 81(special issue 1), A218 abstract no. 1639.
- Moynihan P, Revill SA, Adamson AJ. Intake of NME sugars: effect of a school-based intervention. In: Journal of Dental Research. 2002, San Diego, California, USA: Sage Publications, Inc.
- Moynihan P. Overview of presentations at the international association for dental research: Chiba, Japan, June 2001. Nutrition 2002, 18(2), 205-206.
- Moynihan PJ, Bradbury J. Compromised dental function and nutrition. Nutrition 2001, 17(2), 177-178.
- Moynihan P, Bradbury J. Compromised dental function and nutrition. Nutrition 2001, 17(2), 177-178.
- Moynihan PJ, Rugg-Gunn AJ, Butler TJ, Adamson AJ. Dietary intake of folate by adolescents and the potential effect of flour fortification with folic acid. British Journal of Nutrition 2001, 86(4), 529-534.
- Rugg-Gunn AJ, Fletcher ES, Adamson AJ, Moynihan PJ. Sugars consumption in English adolescents in 1980, 1990 and 2000. Journal of Dental Research (special issue) 2001, 80.
- Moynihan PJ, Anderson AS, Stacy R, Hyland R, Revill SA, Hooper J, Mathers A, Adamson AJ. The effect of an after school ‘Food Club’ on food preparation skills and nutritional knowledge. In: Proceedings of the Nutrition Society. 2001, University of Sheffield, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Moynihan PJ, Cowell T, Stacy R, McNamee P, Adamson A. The Good Food Club: setting up an after school food club to teach practical food preparation using healthy foods, at Key Stage 3. The Journal of Design and Technology Education 2001, 6(3), 239-245.
- Moynihan PJ, Jenkins GN, Fletcher E. Cheese-containing meals increase plaque calcium following acidic drink consumption. In: JOURNAL OF DENTAL RESEARCH. 2000.
- Moynihan PJ. Foods and factors that protect against dental caries. Nutrition Bulletin 2000, 25(4), 281-286.
- Moynihan PJ, Butler TJ, Thomason JM, Jepson NJA. Nutrient intake in partially dentate patients: The effect of prosthetic rehabilitation. Journal of Dentistry 2000, 28(8), 557-563.
- Walls AWG, Steele JG, Sheiham A, Marcenes W, Moynihan PJ. Oral health and nutrition in older people. Journal of Public Health Dentistry 2000, 60(4), 304-307.
- Thomason JM, Moynihan PJ, Watson GW, Jepson NJA. Restoration of the shortened dental arch: 2 year caries findings. In: Symposia/Behavioural Sciences & Health Services Research. 2000, Washington, USA: Sage Publications.
- Moynihan P, Higginson R, Moody C. Edentulous persons attitudes and perceived barriers to increasing fruit and vegetable consumption. In: Scientific Meeting of the Royal College of Physicians. 1999, London: Cambridge University Press.
- Moynihan PJ, Blomley S, Russell RR and Ferrier S. Acid production from lactulose by dental plaque bacteria. Letters in Applied Microbiology 1998, 27, 173-177.
- Moynihan P, Adamson A, Rugg-Gunn A, Appleton D, Butler T. Dietary sources of calcium and the contribution of flour fortification to total calcium intake in the diets of Northumbrian adolescents. British Journal of Nutrition 1996, 75(3), 495-505.
- N. J. A. Jepson, P. J. Moynihan, J. M. Thomason and S. Koya. Reproducibility of image analysis of expectorated food as an assessment of masticatory performance. Journal of Dental Research 1996, 75, 1158-1158.
- Moynihan P.J., Gould M.E.L., Huntley N. and Thorman S. The effect of glucose polymers in water, milk and a milk substitute on plaque pH in vitro. International Journal of Pediatric Dentistry 1996, 6, 19-24.
- Zohoori FV, Walls R, Teasdale L, Landes D, Steen IN, Moynihan P, Omid N, Maguire A. Fractional Urinary Fluoride Excretion of 6-7 year old children attending schools in low-fluoride and naturally-fluoridated areas in the UK. British Journal of Nutrition 2013, 109(10), 1903-1909.
- Macdonald AS, Teal G, Bamford C, Moynihan PJ. Hospitalfoodie: an interprofessional case study of the redesign of the nutritional management and monitoring system for vulnerable older hospital patients. Quality in Primary Care 2012, 20(3), 169-177.
- Bamford C, Heaven B, May C, Moynihan P. Implementing healthier menus in care homes for older people. In: Gerontological Society of America 62nd Annual Scientific Meeting. 2009, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- Moynihan PJ, Higginson R, Moody CL. Edentulous persons attitudes and perceived barriers to increasing intake of fibre-rich foods. In: British Society for Dental Research 47th Annual Meeting. 1999, Leeds, UK: Sage Publications, Inc.
- Zohoori FV, Whaley G, Moynihan PJ, Maguire A. Fluoride intake of infants living in non-fluoridated and fluoridated areas. British Dental Journal 2014, 216, E3.
- Moynihan PJ, Kelly SAM. Effect on caries of restricting sugars intake: systematic review to inform WHO guidelines. Journal of Dental Research 2014, 93(1), 8-18.
- Heaven B, Moffatt S, Hobbs N, White M, Cleland C, Teal G, Moynihan P, Mathers J. Intervening to improve wellbeing retirement: The LiveWell programme. In: 27th Annual Conference of the European Health Psychology Society. 2013, Bordeaux, France: Taylor & Francis Inc.
- Huew R, Maguire A, Waterhouse P, Moynihan P. Nutrient intake and dietary patterns of relevance to dental health of 12-year-old Libyan children. Public Health Nutrition 2014, 17(5), 1107-1113.
- Maguire A, Walls R, Steen N, Teasdale L, Landes D, Omid N, Moynihan P, Zohoori FV. Urinary Fluoride Excretion in 6- to 7-Year-Olds Ingesting Milk Containing 0.5 or 0.9 mg Fluoride. Caries Research 2013, 47(4), 291-298.
- Hobbs N, Heaven B, Teal G, Cleland C, Mathers J, Sniehotta F, White M, Moynihan P. Using innovative co-design methods to develop interventions for people in the retirement transition: LiveWell programme. In: Psychology & Health. 2013, Oxon, England: Taylor & Francis LTD.
- Comber R, Moynihan P, Olivier P. Computer-assisted visual assessment for malnutrition: lower absolute error in assessments of food consumption using novel software application. In: 26th Annual Conference of HEART-UK. 2012, Newcastle upon Tyne: Elsevier Ireland Ltd.
- Kelly SAM, Hyland RM, Ellis JS, Thomason JM, Moynihan PJ. Development of a patient-based questionnaire about emotional and social issues related to eating with dentures. Journal of Dentistry 2012, 40(8), 678-685.
- Moynihan P, Macdonald A, Teal G, Methven L, Heaven B, Bamford C. Extending an approach to hospital malnutrition to community care. British Journal of Community Nursing 2012, 17(12), 614-621.
- Lara J, Evans EH, O'Brien N, Moynihan PJ, Meyer TD, Adamson AJ, Errington L, Sniehotta FFS, White M, Mathers JC. Association of behaviour change techniques with effectiveness of dietary interventions among adults of retirement age: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. BMC Medicine 2014, 12(10), 177.
- Zare Javid A, Seal CJ, Heasman P, Moynihan PJ. Impact of a customised dietary intervention on antioxidant status, dietary intakes and periodontal indices in patients with adult periodontitis. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics 2014, 27(6), 523-532.
- Tsikritzi R, Moynihan PJ, Gosney MA, Allen VJ, Methven L. The effect of macro- and micro-nutrient fortification of biscuits on their sensory properties and on hedonic liking of older people. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 2014, 94(10), 2040-2048.
- Carter LA, Geldenhuys M, Moynihan PJ, Slater DR, Exley CE, Rolland SL. The Impact of Orthodontic Appliances on Eating – young people’s views and experiences. Journal of Orthodontics 2015, 42(2), 114-122.
- Abuhaloob L, Maguire A, Moynihan P. Total daily fluoride intake and the relative contributions of foods, drinks and toothpaste among 3- to 4-year-old children in the Gaza Strip - Palestine. International Journal of Paediatric Dentistry 2015, 25(2), 127-135.
- Tsikritzi R, Wang J, Wong M, Mavrommatis Y, Moynihan PJ, Gosney MA, Methven L. Development of sauces with high energy density, flavour and taste impact for older people, aiming to increase food acceptability and consumption. In: PROCEEDINGS OF THE NUTRITION SOCIETY. 2011, EDINBURGH BLDG, SHAFTESBURY RD, CB2 8RU CAMBRIDGE, ENGLAND: CAMBRIDGE UNIV PRESS.
- Tsikritzi R, Mavrommatis Y, Moynihan PJ, Gosney MA, Methven L. The effect of macro and micro-nutrient fortification of cookies on their sensory properties and on hedonic liking of older people. In: PROCEEDINGS OF THE NUTRITION SOCIETY. 2011, EDINBURGH BLDG, SHAFTESBURY RD, CB2 8RU CAMBRIDGE, ENGLAND: CAMBRIDGE UNIV PRESS.
- O'Brien N, Heaven B, Teal G, Evans EH, Cleland C, Moffatt S, Sniehotta FF, White M, Mathers JC, Moynihan P. Integrating Evidence From Systematic Reviews, Qualitative Research, and Expert Knowledge Using Co-Design Techniques to Develop a Web-Based Intervention for People in the Retirement Transition. Journal of Medical Internet Research 2016, 18(8), e210.
- Lara J, O'Brien N, Godfrey A, Heaven B, Evans EH, Lloyd S, Moffatt S, Moynihan PJ, Meyer TD, Rochester L, Sniehotta FF, White M, Mathers JC. Pilot randomised controlled trial of a web-based intervention to promote healthy eating, physical activity and meaningful social connections compared with usual care control in people of retirement age recruited from workplaces. PLOS One 2016, 11(7), e0159703.
- Pine C, Adair P, Robinson L, Burnside G, Moynihan P, Wade W, Kistler J, Curnow M, Henderson M. The BBaRTS Healthy Teeth Behaviour Change Programme for preventing dental caries in primary school children: study protocol for a cluster randomised controlled trial. Trials 2016, 17, 103.
- Durham J, Touger-Decker R, Nixdorf DR, Rigassio-Radler D, Moynihan P. Oro-facial pain and nutrition: a forgotten relationship?. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation 2015, 42(1), 75-80.
- Tsikritzi R, Wang JQ, Collins VJ, Allen VJ, Mavrommatis Y, Moynihan PJ, Gosney MA, Kennedy OB, Methven L. The Effect of Nutrient Fortification of Sauces on Product Stability, Sensory Properties, and Subsequent Liking by Older Adults. Journal of Food Science 2015, 80(5), S1100-S1110.
- Moynihan PJ, Kelly SAM. Effect on Caries of Restricting Sugars Intake: Systematic Review to Inform WHO Guidelines. Journal of Dental Research 2014, 93(1), 8-18.
- Lara J, Hobbs N, Moynihan PJ, Meyer TD, Adamson AJ, Errington L, Rochester L, Sniehotta FF, White M, Mathers JC. Effectiveness of dietary interventions among adults of retirement age: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. BMC Medicine 2014, 12(1), 1-12.
- Peltzer K, Hewlett S, Yawson AE, Moynihan P, Preet R, Wu F, Guo G, Arokiasamy P, Snodgrass JJ, Chatterji S, Engelstad ME, Kowal P. Prevalence of Loss of All Teeth (Edentulism) and Associated Factors in Older Adults in China, Ghana, India, Mexico, Russia and South Africa. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 2014, 11(11), 11308-11324.