Dr Richard Harbron
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 01912821352
- Personal Website: Queen Victoria Road
- Address: Newcastle University
Sir James Spence Institute
Royal Victoria Infirmary
Queen Victoria Road
BSc Mathematics and Physics, Open University, UK (part-time, to be completed some time before 2031)
PhD Medical Physics, Newcastle University, UK (2016)
MSc Medical Physics, distinction, University of Leeds, UK, (2012)
BSc Diagnostic Radiography, 1st class hons, St. Martin's College, Lancaster, UK, (2005)
- Radiation dosimetry
- Monte Carlo simulation
- Cancer epidemiology
- Second cancers after radiotherapy
- Effect of contrast agents on radiation doses from diagnostic x-ray exposures
My main research interest is the measurement of radiation doses, in the context of epidemiological studies of the long-term cancer risks from medical x-ray procedures. I am currently working on studies investigating the cancer risks following CT scans and cardiac catheterization procedures in children and young people. I am mostly involved with the physics side of things, in particular developing a dosimetry system for estimating radiation doses from cardiac fluoroscopy procedures.
British Institute of Radiology - full member
Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine - associate member
Society for Radiological Protection: graduate member
Society of Radiographers - member
- Harbron RW, Ainsbury EA, Bouffler SD, Tanner RJ, Pearce MS, Eakins JS. The impact of iodinated contrast media on intravascular and extravascular absorbed doses in X-ray imaging: A microdosimetric analysis. Physica Medica 2018, 46, 140-147.
- Harbron RW, Chapple CL, O'Sullivan JJ, Lee C, McHugh K, Higueras M, Pearce MS. Cancer incidence among children and young adults who have undergone x-ray guided cardiac catheterization procedures. European Journal of Epidemiology 2017.
- Harbron R, Ainsbury EA, Bouffler SD, Tanner RJ, Eakins JS, Pearce MS. Enhanced radiation dose and DNA damage associated with iodinated contrast media in diagnostic X-ray imaging. The British Journal of Radiology 2017, 90(1079), 20170028.
- BerringtondeGonzalez A, Journy N, Lee C, Morton LM, Harbron R, Stewart DR, Parker L, Craft AW, McHugh K, Little M, Pearce M. No association between radiation dose from pediatric CT scans and risk of subsequent Hodgkin lymphoma. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers and Prevention 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Journy NMY, McHugh K, Harbron RW, Pearce MS, Berrington de González A. Projected cancer risks potentially related to past, current and future practices in paediatric CT in the UK, 1990-2020. British Journal of Cancer 2017, 116(1), 109-116.
- Journy NM, McHugh K, Harbron RW, Pearce MS, De Gonzalez AB. Medical conditions associated with the use of CT in children and young adults, Great Britain, 1995-2008. British Journal of Radiology 2016, 89(1068), 20160532.
- Harbron RW, Chapple CL, O'Sullivan JJ, Best KE, Berrington-de-González A, Pearce MS. Survival adjusted cancer risks attributable to radiation exposure from cardiac catheterisations in children. Heart 2017, 103, 341-346.
- Harbron RW, Dreuil S, Bernier M-O, Pearce MS, Thierry-Chef I, Chapple C-L, Baysson H. Patient radiation doses in paediatric interventional cardiology procedures: a review. Journal of Radiological Protection 2016, 36(4), R131.
- Harbron RW. What do recent epidemiological studies tell us about the risk of cancer from radiation doses typical of diagnostic radiography?. Radiography 2016, 22, S41-S46.
- de Gonzalez AB, Salotti JA, McHugh K, Little MP, Harbron RW, Lee C, Ntowe E, Braganza MZ, Parker L, Rajaraman P, Stiller C, Stewart DR, Craft AW, Pearce MS. Relationship between paediatric CT scans and subsequent risk of leukaemia and brain tumours: assessment of the impact of underlying conditions. British Journal of Cancer 2016, 114(4), 388-394.
- Lee C, Pearce MS, Salotti JA, Harbron RW, Little MP, Mchugh K, Chapple CL, De Gonzalez AB. Reduction in radiation doses from paediatric CT scans in Great Britain. British Journal of Radiology 2016, 89(1060), 20150305.
- Harbron R, Pearce MS, Salotti JA, McHugh K, McLaren C, Abernethy L, Reed S, O'Sullivan J, Chapple C-L. Radiation doses from fluoroscopically guided cardiac catheterization procedures in children and young adults in the United Kingdom: A multi-centre study. The British Journal of Radiology 2015.
- Harbron RW. Letter by Harbron Regarding Article, "Cumulative Radiation Exposure and Cancer Risk Estimation in Children With Heart Disease". Circulation 2015, 131(16), E418-E418.
- Harbron RW, Feltbower RG, Glaser A, Lilley J, Pearce MS. Secondary malignant neoplasms following radiotherapy for primary cancer in children and young adults. Pediatric Hematology and Oncology 2014, 31(3), 259-267.
- Harbron RW. Cancer risks from low dose exposure to ionising radiation - Is the linear no-threshold model still relevant?. Radiography 2012, 18, 28-33.