Dr Rute Velosa Vieira
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44(0)1912087644
- Address: Institute of Health and Society
Faculty of Medical Sciences
I joined the Institute of Health & Society in June 2015 as a Medical Statistician and I currently hold a honorary contract with Public Health England where I collaborate with the National Congenital Anomaly and Rare Disease Registration Service (NCARDRS).
My primary research interests are related with the development of statistical methodologies to evaluate treatment effects in rare diseases and in individualised medicine (n-of-1 studies).
Previously I worked as a statistical advisor for the Newcastle-upon-Tyne Hospitals (NuTH), IHS research groups and Newcastle Clinical Trials Unit.
I have experience as a consultant in medical statistics and biostatistics as well as in a variety of statistical areas and parametric and non-parametric methodologies including regression-based analysis, multi-level modelling, time-series analysis, survival analysis, meta-analysis, phylogenetics and Bayesian analysis.
- PhD Statistics - Newcastle University, UK
- MSc Biostatistics - Universidade de Lisboa, Portugal
- BSc(Hons) Biology - Universidade da Madeira, Portugal
- Fellow of the Royal Statistics Society
- Member of the International Society for Clinical Biostatistics
- Associate member of the Fuse - Centre for Translational Research in Public Health
- McDonald S, Vieira RV, Godfrey A, O'Brien N, White M, Sniehotta F. Changes in physical activity during the retirement transition: a series of novel n-of-1 natural experiments. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2017, (14), 167.
- Walburn J, Sarkany R, Norton S, Foster L, Morgan M, Sainsbury K, Araújo-Soares V, Anderson R, Garrood I, Heydenreich J, Sniehotta FF, Vieira R, Wulf HC, Weinman J. An investigation of the predictors of photoprotection and UVR dose to the face in patients with XP: A protocol using observational mixed methods. BMJ Open 2017, 7, e018364.
- Vieira R, McDonald S, Araujo-Soares V, Sniehotta FF, Henderson R. Dynamic modelling of n-of-1 data: Powerful and flexible data analytics applied to individualised studies. Health Psychology Review 2017, 11(3), 222-234.
- Barnes P, Vieira R, Harwood J, Chauhan M. Self-taken vaginal swabs versus clinician-taken for detection of candida and bacterial vaginosis: a case-control study in primary care. British Journal of General Practice 2017, 67(665), e824-e829.
- Papastavrou VT, Borooah S, O'Brien JM, Ray-Chaudhuri N, Dhillon B, Vieira R, Browning A. Cataract surgery in patients with late-onset retinal degeneration. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery 2017, 43(8), 1036-1043.
- McDonald S, Quinn F, Vieira R, O'Brien N, White M, Johnston DW, Sniehotta FF. The state of the art and future opportunities for using longitudinal n-of-1 methods in health behaviour research: a systematic literature overview. Health Psychology Review 2017, 11(4), 307-323.
- Heslehurst N, Vieira R, Hayes L, Crowe L, Jones D, Robalino S, SLack L, Rankin J. Maternal body mass index and post-term birth: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Obesity Reviews 2017, 18(3), 293–308.
- Vieira R, Henderson R, McDonald S, Sniehotta FF. Dynamic modelling of single-case (N-of-1) data: challenges and novel applications. In: International Congress of Behavioral Medicine. 2016, Melbourne, Australia: Springer.
- Vieira R, Davidson K, Kravitz R, Kronish I. Personalizing behavioral medicine interventions through N-of-1 studies. In: International Congress of Behavioral Medicine 2016. 2016, Melbourne, Australia: Springer.
- McDonald S, Vieira R, O'Brien N, White M, Sniehotta FF. Does physical activity and sedentary behavior change during the retirement transition? Findings from a series of novel N-of-1 natural experiments. In: International Congress of Behavioral Medicine. 2016, Melbourne, Australia: Springer.
- Sainsbury K, Walburn J, Vieira R, Sniehotta FF, Weinman J, Sarkany R, Araujo-Soares V. Using n-of-1 methodology to inform the development of individualized, evidence-based interventions for patients with xeroderma pigmentosum. In: International Congress of Behavioural Medicine. 2016, Melbourne, Australia: Springer.
- McDonald S, Quinn F, Vieira R, O'Brien N, White M, Johnston DW, Sniehotta FF. N-of-1 methods in health behavior research: a systematic review. In: International Conference of Behavioral Medicine 2016. 2016, Melbourne, Australia: Springer.
- Barnes P, Vieira R, Chauhan M. Pilot study comparing self-collected vaginal swab with clinician taken vaginal swab for the detection of candida and bacterial vaginosis. In: 2016 British Association for Sexual Health and HIV Annual Conference. 2016, Oxford, UK: BMJ Publishing Group Ltd.
- Vieira R, Rankin J. Predictors of survival in children born with congenital diaphragmatic hernia: a registry-based study. In: 13th EUROCAT Scientific Symposium: Advancing congenital anomaly research through collaboration. 2016, Milan, Italy: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Heslehurst N, Vieira R, Hayes L, Crowe L, Jones D, Robalino S, Slack E, Rankin J. The association between maternal body mass index (BMI), prolonged pregnancy (PP; ≥41 weeks gestation) and post-term birth (PTB; ≥42 weeks gestation): a systematic review with meta-analysis. In: British Maternal and Fetal Medicine Society. 2016, University of Birmingham, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Sambo MR, Trovoada MJ, Benchimol C, Quinhentos V, Goncalves L, Velosa R, Marques MI, Sepulveda N, Clark T, Mustafa S, Wagner O, Coutinho A, Penha-Goncalves C. Transforming Growth Factor Beta 2 and Heme Oxygenase 1 Genes Are Risk Factors for the Cerebral Malaria Syndrome in Angolan Children. PLoS ONE 2010, 5(6), e11141.
- Mariz JM, Teixeira A, Pereira AM, Espirito-Santo J, Marques M, Magalhaes E, Portela C, Trindade MC, Costa R, Oliveira I, Vieira R, Marques H. Dose intensity in Hodgkin and Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. In: Haematologica-The Hematology Journal (European Hematology Association 14th Annual Congress). 2009, Berlin, Germany.
- Araujo A, Pousa E, Soares M, Azevedo I, Velosa R. The importance of haematological toxicity on outcomes of small-cell lung cancer patients. In: European Journal of Cancer SUPPLEMENTS (ECCO 15 - 34th ESMO Multidisciplinary Congress). 2009, Berlin, Germany.
- Sambo MR, Trovoada M, Benchimol C, Deus L, Quinhento V, Almeida P, Vieira R, Marques I, Coutinho A, Penha-Goncalves C. Cerebral Malaria in Angolan Children. In: American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (Gordon Research Conferences - Malaria). 2008, Oxford, UK.
- Pereira AM, Trindade MC, Espirito-Santo J, Costa R, Teixeira A, Magalhaes E, Vieira R, Marques H. Predictive Factors of Relative Dose Intensity Reduction in Clinical Practice for 1st Line Treatment in Patients with Non- Hodgkin and Hodgkin Lymphoma. In: Blood (American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting). 2008, San Francisco, USA.
- Fernandes A, Velosa R, Jesus J, Brehm A, Carracedo A. Genetic differentiation of the Cabo Verde Archipelago population analyzed by STR polymorphisms. Annals Human Genetics 2003, 67(Pt 4), 340-347.
- Velosa R, Fernandes A, Brehm A. Genetic Profile of the Azores Archipelago population using the new Powerplex 16 System kit. Forensic Scientific International 2002, 129(1), 68-71.
- Velosa R, Fernandes A, Spinola H, Brehm A. Portuguese influence in Atlantic islands using 5 STRs (CD4, FES/FPS, VWA31/A, TH01 and TPO) and CD4/Alu haplotype. In: European Journal of Human Genetics (10th International Congress of Human Genetics). 2001, Vienna, Austria.