Dr Ruth Bell
Senior Lecturer/Honorary NHS Consultant
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8769
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 6043
- Personal Website: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/ihs/people/profile/ruth.bell
- Address: Institute of Health & Society
Newcastle upon Tyne
I trained in medicine, specialising in public health. My research is in the field of maternal and perinatal health, with a particular focus on the problem of maternal obesity and diabetes. My work seeks to improve outcomes for women and infants by investigating the determinants of adverse outcome and developing and evaluating interventions to improve outcomes. As Associate Director at the Regional Maternity Survey Office (RMSO) I support regional clinical audit of pregnancy in women with diabetes.
I hold an honorary consultant contract with Public Health England.
1988 BA(Hons) Medical Sciences Cambridge University
1991 BMedSci(1st Class Hons) Newcastle University
1992 MBBS Newcastle University
1996 MSc Health Sciences (Distinction) Newcastle University
2005 MD Newcastle University
2000-2005 Lecturer/Honorary Senior Registrar in Public Health, Newcastle University
1994-1999 Registrar/Senior Registrar in Public Health Medicine Northern Deanery
Fellow of the Faculty of Public Health
GMC accredited specialist in Public Health
I supervise PhD and Masters students in a range of topics relating to maternal and infant health.
Faculty of Public Health nominated member of CEMACH Consensus Standards Development Group for Maternal Obesity.
Co-opted expert member of the Public Health Intervention Advisory Committee of NICE for the development of guidance on weight management during and after pregnancy.
Member of the Better Health, Fairer Health Regional Advisory Group for Early Life.
Prof. Ashley Adamson, Prof. Elaine McColl, Dr Ruth Bell (2011-2013) My Dietician Online, County Durham Primary Care Trust (PCT).
Dr Ruth Bell (2011) Northern Diabetes in Pregnancy Survey, Healthcare Quality Improvement Partnership.
Dr Ruth Bell, Dr Svetlana Glinyanaya, Prof. Judith Rankin (2010 – 2011) Congenital Anomalies in Women with Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes, Diabetes UK.
Dr Mark Pearce, Prof. Steve Robson, Dr Ruth Bell (2010 – 2011) FSF Risk of Cardiovascular Disease and Diabetes in Women with a History of Placenta-mediated Disease, The Newcastle upon Tyne Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.
Dr Eugene Sobngwi, Dr Ruth Bell (2008 – 2012) Screening, Management and Outcome of Gestational Diabetes Mellitus in Urban and rural Sub-Saharan Africa, World Diabetes Foundation.
Prof. Steve Robson, Dr Ruth Bell (2008 –2012) Improving Pregnancy Outcome in Obese Women (3) UPBEAT, National Institute for Health Research (NIHR).
Dr Ruth Bell, Prof. Carl May, Prof. Martin White (2008 – 2010) Preventing Type 2 Diabetes After Gestational Diabetes, Diabetes UK.
Stage 4 MBBS Public Health Course Director
Course Director for MBBS EJR Public Health (2006-2010)
I have taught on a range of modules on the MSc Health Sciences, most recently Applied Epidemiology. I have set and marked exam questions and regularly supervise and assess dissertation projects.
- Flynn AC, Seed PT, Patel N, Barr S, Bell R, Briley AL, Godfrey KM, Nelson SM, Oteng-Ntim E, Robinson SM, Sanders TA, Sattar N, Wardle J, Poston L, Goff LM. Dietary patterns in obese pregnant women; influence of a behavioral intervention of diet and physical activity in the UPBEAT randomized controlled trial. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity 2016, 13, 124.
- Hayes L, Mcparlin C, Kinnunen TI, Poston L, Robson SC, Bell R, UPBEAT Consortium. Change in level of physical activity during pregnancy in obese women: findings from the UPBEAT pilot trial. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 2015, 15, 52.
- Poston L, Bell R, Croker H, Flynn AC, Godfrey KM, Goff L, Hayes L, Khazaezadeh N, Nelson SM, Oteng-Ntim E, Pasupathy D, Patel N, Robson SC, Sandall J, Sanders TAB, Sattar N, Seed PT, Wardle J, Whitworth MK, Briley AL, UPBEAT Trial Consortium. Effect of a behavioural intervention in obese pregnant women (the UPBEAT study): a multicentre, randomised controlled trial. Lancet Diabetes & Endocinology 2015, 3(10), 767-777.
- Tennant PWG, Bilous RW, Prathapan S, Bell R. Risk and Recurrence of Serious Adverse Outcomes in the First and Second Pregnancies of Women With Preexisting Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2015, 38(4), 610-619.
- Hayes L, Bell R, Robson S, Poston L, on behalf of the UPBEAT Consortium. Association between Physical Activity in Obese Pregnant Women and Pregnancy Outcomes: The UPBEAT Pilot Study. Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism 2014, 64(3-4), 239-246.
- Glinianaia SV, Tennant PWG, Crowder D, Nayar R, Bell R. Fifteen-year trends and predictors of preparation for pregnancy in women with pre-conception Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes: a population-based cohort study. Diabetic Medicine 2014, 31(9), 1104–1113.
- Tennant PWG, Glinianaia SV, Bilous RW, Rankin J, Bell R. Pre-existing diabetes, maternal glycated haemoglobin, and the risks of fetal and infant death: a population-based study. Diabetologia 2014, 57(2), 285-294.
- Holman N, Bell R, Murphy H, Maresh M. Women with pre-gestational diabetes have a higher risk of stillbirth at all gestations after 32 weeks. Diabetic Medicine 2014, 31(9), 1129-1132.
- Poston L, Briley AL, Barr S, Bell R, Croker H, Coxon K, Essex H, Hunt CL, Hayes L, Howard LM, Khazaezadeh N, Kinnunen T, Nelson SM, Otegn-Ntim E, Robson SC, Sattar N, Seed PT, Wardle J, Sanders TAB, Sandall J. Developing a complex intervention for diet and activity behaviour change in obese pregnant women (the UPBEAT trial); assessment of behavioural change and process evaluation in a pilot randomised controlled trial. BMC Pregnancy & Childbirth 2013, 13(1), 148.
- Poston L, Briley AL, Barr S, Bell R, Croker H, Coxon K, Essex HN, Hunt C, Hayes L, Howard LM, Khazaezadeh N, Kinnunen T, Nelson SM, Oteng-Ntim E, Robson SC, Sattar N, Seed PT, Wardle J, Sanders TAB, Sandall J. Developing a complex intervention for diet and activity behaviour change in obese pregnant women (the UPBEAT trial); assessment of behavioural change and process evaluation in a pilot randomised controlled trial. BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 2013, 13, 148.
- Lisonkova S, Joseph KS, Bell R, Glinianaia SV. Effect of advanced maternal age on perinatal outcomes in twins: the impact of chorionicity. Annals of Epidemiology 2013, 23(7), 428-434.
- Bell R, Burke W, Lally J, Heslehurst N, Rankin J. Experiences of preparation for pregnancy in women with pre-gestational diabetes: a systematic review of qualitative studies. In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference 2013. 2013, Manchester: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Heslehurst N, Russell S, McCormack S, Sedgewick G, Bell R, Rankin J. Midwives perspectives of their training and education requirements in maternal obesity: a qualitative study. Midwifery 2013, 229(7), 736-744.
- Glinianaia SV, Rankin J, Sturgiss SN, Ward Platt MP, Crowder D, Bell R. The North of England Survey of Twin and Multiple Pregnancy. Twin Research and Human Genetics 2013, 16(1), 112-116.
- Bell R, Tennant PWG, Rankin J. Fetal and infant outcomes in obese pregnant women. In: Gillman, M.W., Poston, L, ed. Maternal Obesity. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge Press, 2012, pp.56-69.
- Glinianaia SV, Tennant PWG, Bilous RW, Rankin J, Bell R. HbA1c and birthweight in women with pre-conception type 1 and type 2 diabetes: a population-based cohort study. Diabetologia 2012, 55(12), 3193-3203.
- Best KE, Tennant PWG, Bell R, Rankin J. Impact of maternal body mass index on the antenatal detection of congenital anomalies. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology 2012, 119(12), 1503-1511.
- Bell R, Glinianaia S, Tennant PWG, Bilous R, Rankin J. Peri-conception hyperglycaemia and nepthropathy are associated with risk of congenital anomaly in women with pre-existing diabetes: a population-based cohort study. Diabetologia 2012, 55(4), 936-947.
- Beenstock J, Sniehotta FF, White M, Bell R, Milne E, Araujo-Soares V. What helps and hinders midwives in engaging with pregnant women about stopping smoking? A cross-sectional survey of perceived implementation difficulties among midwives in the North East of England. Implementation Science 2012, 7(1), 36.
- Kinnunen KI, Tennant PWG, McParlin C, Poston L, Robson SC, Bell R. Agreement between pedometer and accelerometer in measuring physical activity in overweight and obese pregnant women. BMC Public Health 2011, 11(1), 501.
- Holman N, Lewis-Barned N, Bell R, Stephens H, Modder J, Gardosi J, Dorhurst A, Hillson R, Young B, Murphy HR. Development and evaluation of a standardized registry for diabetes in pregnancy using data from the Northern, North West and East Anglia regional audits. Diabetic Medicine 2011, 28(7), 797-804.
- Tennant PWG, Rankin J, Bell R. Maternal body mass index and the risk of fetal and infant death; a cohort study from the North of England. Human Reproduction 2011, 26(6), 1501-1511.
- Glinianaia S, Obeysekera MA, Sturgiss S, Bell R. Stillbirth and neonatal mortality in monochorionic and dichorionic twins: a population-based study. Human Reproduction 2011, 26(9), 2549-2557.
- Rankin J, Tennant PWG, Stothard KJ, Bythell M, Summerbell C, Bell R. Maternal body mass index and congenital anomaly risk: a cohort study. International Journal of Obesity 2010, 34(9), 1371-1380.
- McParlin C, Robson SC, Tennant P, Besson H, Rankin J, Adamson A, Pearce MS, Bell R. Objectively measured physical activity during pregnancy: a study in obese and overweight women. BMC Pregnancy & Childbirth 2010, 10(1), 76.
- Weir Z, Bush J, McParlin C, Robson SC, Rankin J, Bell R. Physical activity in pregnancy: a qualitative study of the beliefs of overweight and obese pregnant women. BMC Pregnancy & Childbirth 2010, 10, 18.
- Tripathi A, Rankin J, Aarvold J, Chandler C, Bell R. Preconception counseling in women with diabetes: a population-based study in the North of England. Diabetes Care 2010, 33(3), 586-588.
- Stothard KJ, Tennant PWG, Bell R, Rankin J. Maternal Overweight and Obesity and the Risk of Congenital Anomalies: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Journal of the American Medical Association 2009, 301(6), 636-650.
- Bell R, Bailey K, Cresswell T, Hawthorne G, Critchley J, Lewis-Barned N. Trends in prevalence and outcomes of pregnancy in women with pre-existing type I and type II diabetes. BJOG: An International Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 2008, 115(4), 445-452.