Doctoral Fellow (Health Foundation)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 7386
- Personal Website: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/ihs
- Address: Institute of Health & Society
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am a Doctoral Fellow at the Institute of Health and Society. After completing my Research Master in Clinical and Health Psychology at Leiden University (Netherlands) in 2013, I moved to Newcastle where I was awarded a Health Foundation Improvement Science Fellowship. My PhD focuses on applying theories from health psychology and behavioural medicine to develop and evaluate interventions that support healthcare professionals with changing their behaviour. I am particularly interested in whether simple behaviour change strategies (e.g. implementation intentions) are effective in assisting healthcare professionals with creating and breaking habits.
I have expertise in qualitative and quantitative research methods, and conducting narrative and systematic reviews, including meta-analyses.
During my PhD I have been involved in the development, implementation and evaluation of a national quality improvement intervention: the ‘Diabetes UK Information Prescription’.
Roles and Responsibilities
Workshop coordinator of the Newcastle Health Psychology Group
Board member of the European Health Psychology Society Subdivision SYNERGY
Ad hoc reviewer, Applied Psychology: Health and Well-Being
MSc (Res) Clinical and Health Psychology, Leiden University (Netherlands), 2013
BSc Psychology, Leiden University (Netherlands), 2010
British Psychological Society (Chartered member and registered Trainee Health Psychologist)
European Health Psychology Society
Health Psychology and Behavioural Medicine
Knowledge translation / implementation research
Health behaviour change
Healthcare professional behaviour change
Habit, routines and automaticity
Theories of behaviour and behaviour change
MSc in Clinical and Health Psychology:
- Session contributor to module: Health Psychology Principles of Behaviour Change
- Potthoff S, Garnefski N, Miklósi M, Ubbiali A, Domínguez-Sánchez FJ, Martins EC, Witthöft M, Kraaij K. Cognitive Emotion Regulation and Psychopathology across Cultures: A Comparison between Six European Countries. Personality and Individual Differences 2016, 98, 218-224.
- Hagger MS, Luszczynska A, de Wit J, Benyamini Y, Burkert S, Chamberland PE, Chater AM, Dombrowski S, van Dongen A, French DP, Gauchet A, Hankonen N, Karekla M, Kinney AY, Kwasnicka D, Lo SH, López-Roíg S, Meslot C, Marques MM, Neter EM, Plass A, Potthoff S, Rennie L, Scholz U, Stadler G, Stolte EA, ten Hoor G, Verhoeven AAC, Wagner M, Oettingen G, Sheeran P, Gollwitzer PM. Implementation intention and planning interventions in health psychology: Recommendations from the Synergy expert group for research and practice. Psychology & Health 2016, 1-26.
- Potthoff S, Presseau J, Sniehotta F, Elovainio M, Avery L. Planning to be routine: habit as a mediator of the planning-behaviour relationship in healthcare professionals. In: 29th Conference of the EHPS: Principles of Behaviour Change in Health and Illness. 2015.
- Potthoff S, Garnefski N, Miklósi M, Ubbiali A, Domínguez-Sánchez FJ, Martins EC, Loch N, Witthöft M, Kraaij K. Cross-Cultural Differences in Cognitive Emotion Regulation Strategies: A Comparison between Six European Countries. In: 28th Conference of the European Health Psychology Society: Beyond prevention and intervention: increasing well-being. 2014, Innsbruck, Austria: The European Health Psychologist.
- Potthoff S, Rasul O, Sniehotta FF, Beyer F, Thomson R, Avery L, Presseau J. A systematic review and meta-analysis assessing the relationship between habit and healthcare professional behaviour in clinical practice. PROSPERO 2016. In Preparation.
- Potthoff S, Presseau J, Sniehotta FF, Johnston M, Elovainio M, Avery L. Planning to be routine: habit as a mediator of the planning-behaviour relationship in healthcare professionals. Implementation Science 2017, 12, 24.
- Potthoff S, Rasul O, Sniehotta F, Beyer F, Bryant A, Marques M, Thomson R, Avery L, Presseau J. A Systematic Review assessing the relationship between habit and healthcare professional behavior in clinical practice. In: International Journal of Behavioral Medicine. 2016, Melbourne, Australia: Springer.