Dr Tim Rapley
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5665
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 6043
Institute of Health and Society
Baddiley Clark Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am a medical sociologist with particular expertise in qualitative studies of medical practice and research.
PhD Sociology/Conversation Analysis (London)
MA Sociology with special reference to qualitative research - awarded with distinction (London)
BA (Hons) Human Geography (London)
Staff Scientist, Newcastle University 2006-2011
Research Associate, Newcastle University 2002-2006
Research Associate, Goldsmiths' College, University of London 2001-2002
British Medical Sociology Association
- MBBS Lecturer
- MBBS Personal Tutor
- MSc in Public Health and Health Services Research
Dissertation Supervisor, Dissertation Examiner, Personal Tutor
I focus on detailed empirical studies of medical practice and research. I’m interested in identifying, describing and understanding the everyday, taken-for-granted, aspects of medical work. A focus on what people actually do, as opposed to just what they think they do, or they tell you what they do, can offer unique, practical and tailored solutions. My research focuses on two over-arching related questions:
- How is medical work shaped by new and existing forms of interaction, knowledge and technology?
- How is research-based knowledge produced, disseminated and integrated?
I am lead the qualitative research aspects on a number of research projects.
- Nataly Birbeck, EPSRC DTC Digital Civics
- Susan Bissett, NIHR Doctorol Fellow,
- Karen Holt
- Julia Maddison,
- Jen McAnuff, NIHR Clinical Doctorol Fellow,
- Lem Ngongalah,
- Claire Sullivan,
- 2017 Katie Hester, PhD, NIHR Doctorol Fellow
- 2017 Kate Hackett, PhD, Arthritis Research UK Nurse and Allied Health Professionals Fellow
- 2016 Mary Cruikshank, MD, Arthritis Research UK Educational Research Fellow
- 2016 Holly Stevens, PhD
- 2014 Lorraine McSweeney, PhD, ESRC
- 2013 Lynne Stobbart, PhD, NIHR Doctoral Fellow
- 2010 Ben Thompson, MD, Arthritis Research UK Educational Research Fellow
- 2010 Jo Patterson, PhD, NIHR Doctoral Fellow
- Editorial board member of Implementation Science
- Editorial board member of Qualitative Research
- SAGE Research Methods Board Member
I have given invited papers in Charite (Berlin), Essex University, Humboldt University (Berlin), Lancaster University, Leicester University, Manchester University, and Tampere University and a Keynote address at 'Advances in Qualitative Research, Qualitative Methods Research Network, European Sociological Association', Cardiff University
Current funding focuses on two areas:
- Organisation of Care
Arthritis Research UK, Newcastle Biomedicine Experimental Arthritis Treatment Centre (ARUK-NB-EATC) Isaacs J, van Laar J, Ng W F, Rapley T, Kay L, Blamire A, Birrell F 2012-2017 £225,000
NIHR Programme Grant TRANSITION - How can health services contribute most effectively to facilitating successful transition of young people with complex health needs from childhood to adulthood? Colver A, Reape D , Wheatley H, McDonagh J, McConachie H, Le Couteur A, Vale L, Rapley T, Pearce M, Deverill M, Parr J, Dovey-Pearce G, Bate A, MacFarlane J 2012-2017 £2,020,754
NIHR, Integrated Clinical Academic Fellowships – Senior Clinical Lecturer. Promoting health & functioning in children with physical limitations through participation in physical activities: ActiveCHILD 2016-2021 Kolehmainen N, Vormoor HJ, Pearce MS, Rapley TJ, Newton JL, Vale LD £449,240 (ICA-SCL-2015-01-003)
JGW Patterson Foundation CAPTURE JIA: Achieving Uniform and Optimal Data Collection to Improve Patient Care for Children and Young People with JIA 2016-2017 McErlane F, Thomson W, Foster H, Smith N, Rapley T £45,190.62 (19166)
- Implementation of Care
European Union ImplementAll: Towards evidence-based tailored implementation strategies for eHealth. 2017-2021. €5,999,170 (REF: H2020-SC1-2016-2017)
HTA LiTEFORM. Lite Therapy Effectiveness For ORal Mucositis Trial. A randomised controlled trial of the clinical and cost effectiveness of Low Level Laser in the management of Oral Mucositis in Head and Neck cancer irradiation 2017-2022 Nugent M, Muirhead C, Patterson J, Ternent D, Rousseau N, Shanmugasundaram R, Goranova R, Rapley T, Peacock J, O'Hara J, Bryant V, Wilson J. £1,227,189.20 (HTA - 15/57/160)
HTA Clarifying the management of men with recurrent urethral stricture disease: A randomised trial of open urethroplasty versus endoscopic urethrotomy. (OPEN) 2012-17 Pickard R, Mundy A, Payne S, Watkin N, Sinclair A, N’Dow J, Andrich D, Rapley T, Deverill M, Barclay S, McColl E, Norrie J, Cook J, McClennan G, McPherson G, Vale L £1,324,614
NIHR Career Development Fellowship Environmental manipulation after perinatal stroke 2014-2018 Basu A, Rapley T, Vale L £570,916.22
NIHR/HEE Clinical Doctoral Research Fellowship Improving health in children with disabilities: an intervention-development study to support participation in leisure in 8-12 year-olds with communication and mobility limitations. McAnuff J, Kolehmainen N, Rapley T, Colver A £286,137
NIHR Doctoral Research Fellowship Diabetes and periodontitis: developing and piloting a novel oral health intervention to enable improved glycaemic control Bisset S, Preshaw P, Rapley T, Presseau J, Bradshaw C. £ 239,802
www.normalizationprocess.org - site introduces Normalization Process Theory and offers an interactive toolkit to help people think through implementation issues.
www.pmmonline.org/ - site for all clinicians who may encounter children with serious musculoskeletal problems. It aims to raise awareness, knowledge and skills to facilitate early diagnosis and referral to specialist care.
- McSweeney L, Araujo-Soares V, Rapley T, Adamson A. A feasibility study with process evaluation of a preschool intervention to improve child and family lifestyle behaviours. BMC Public Health 2017, 17, 248.
- Hackett KL, Gotts ZM, Ellis J, Deary V, Rapley T, Ng W-F, Newton JL, Deane KHO. An investigation into the prevalence of sleep disturbances in primary Sjögren’s syndrome: a systematic review of the literature. Rheumatology 2017, 56(4), 570-580.
- Whybrow P, Pickard R, Hrisos S, Rapley T. Equipoise across the patient population: optimising recruitment to a randomised controlled trial. Trials 2017, 18, 140.
- Basu A, Pearse J, Baggaley J, Watson R, Rapley T. Participatory design in the development of an early therapy intervention for perinatal stroke. BMC Pediatrics 2017, 17, 33.
- Basu AP, Pearse JE, Rapley T. Publishing protocols for trials of complex interventions before trial completion – potential pitfalls, solutions and the need for public debate. Trials 2017, 18, 5.
- Birbeck N, Lawson S, Morrissey K, Rapley T, Olivier P. Self Harmony: Rethinking Hackathons to Design and Critique Digital Technologies for Those Affected by Self-Harm. In: CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. 2017, Denver, Colorado, USA: ACM.
- Hart RI, McDonagh JE, Thompson B, Foster HE, Kay L, Myers A, Rapley T. Being as normal as possible: How young people ages 16-25 years evaluate the risks and benefits of treatment for inflammatory arthritis. Arthritis Care & Research 2016, 68(9), 1288-1294.
- Fay M, Rapley T, Foster H, Pain C, Gerrand C. Can Seeding in the Clinic Reach a Wide Audience? A Proof of Concept Study on Spreading a Health Message About Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis Using a Shareable Online Video. Journal of Medical Internet Research 2016, 5(1), e6.
- Hanson H, O'Brien N, Whybrow P, Isaacs JD, Rapley T. Drug breakthrough offers hope to arthritis sufferers: qualitative analysis of medical research in UK newspapers. Health Expectations 2016, epub ahead of print.
- Farre A, Wood V, McDonagh JE, Parr J, Reape D, Rapley T. Health professionals’ and managers' definitions of developmentally appropriate healthcare for young people: conceptual dimensions and embedded controversies. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2016, 101(7), 628-633.
- Smith N, Rapley T, Jandial S, English C, Davies B, Wyllie R, Foster HE. Paediatric Musculoskeletal Matters (pmm) – Collaborative Development of an Online Evidence Based Interactive Learning Tool and Information Resource for Education in Paediatric Musculoskeletal Medicine. Pediatric Rheumatology 2016, 14(1), 1-7.
- McSweeney LA, Rapley T, Summerbell CD, Haighton CA, Adamson AJ. Perceptions of nursery staff and parent views of healthy eating promotion in preschool settings: an exploratory qualitative study. BMC Public Health 2016, 16, 841.
- Rapley T. Some Pragmatics of Data Analysis. In: Silverman D, ed. Qualitative Research. London: Sage, 2016.
- Lee RP, Thompson B, Whybrow P, Rapley T. Talking About Looking: Three Approaches to Interviewing Carers of People With Rheumatoid Arthritis About Information Seeking. Qualitative Health Research 2016, 26(9), 1229-1239.
- Hackett KL, Deane KHO, Strassheim V, Deary V, Rapley T, Newton JL, Ng W-F. A Systematic Review of Non-Pharmacological Interventions for Primary Sjögren's Syndrome. Rheumatology 2015, 54(11), 2025-2032.
- Farre A, Wood V, Rapley T, Parr J, Reape D, McDonagh JE. Developmentally Appropriate Healthcare for Young People: A Scoping Study. Archives of Disease in Childhood 2015, 100(2), 144-151.
- Patterson JM, McColl E, Wilson J, Carding P, Rapley T. Head and neck cancer patients' perceptions of swallowing following chemoradiotherapy. Supportive Care in Cancer 2015, 23(12), 3531-3538.
- Whybrow P, Rapley T, Pickard R, Hrisos S. How Men Manage Bulbar Urethral Stricture by Concealing Urinary Symptoms. Qualitative Health Research 2015, 25(10), 1435-1442.
- Lee RP, Hart RI, Watson RM, Rapley T. Qualitative synthesis in practice: some pragmatics of meta-ethnography. Qualitative Research 2015, 15(3), 334-350.
- Rapley T. Questions of context: qualitative interviews as a source of knowledge. In: C. Tileaga and E. Stokoe, ed. Discursive Psychology: Classic and Contemporary Issues. London: Routledge, 2015, pp.70-84.
- McSweeney L, Rapley T, Adamson A. The Preschool Child, Food Photography and a Parent's Bed; A Feasibility Study to Determine Acceptable Visual Data Collection Methods. Journal of Nutrition and Health Sciences 2015, 2(4), 406.
- Cruikshank M, Foster HE, Stewart J, Davidson JE, Rapley T. Transitional care in clinical networks for young people with juvenile idiopathic arthritis: current situation and challenges. Clinical Rheumatology 2015, (epub ahead of print).
- Hart RI, Foster HE, McDonagh J, Thompson B, Kay L, Myers A, Rapley T. Young people's decisions about biologic therapies: who influences them and how?. Rheumatology 2015, 54(7), 124-1301.
- Chan MO, Sen ES, Hardy E, Hensman P, Wraith E, Jones S, Rapley T, Foster HE. Assessment of musculoskeletal abnormalities in children with mucopolysaccharidoses using pGALS. Pediatric Rheumatology 2014, 12, 32.
- Elwyn G, Lloyd A, May C, van der Weijden T, Stiggelbout A, Edwards A, Frosch D, Rapley T, Barr P, Walsh T, Grande S, Montori V, Epstein R. Collaborative deliberation: a model for patient care. Patient Education and Counseling 2014, 97(2), 158-164.
- Rapley T. Exploring Conversations about and with Documents. In: J Hughes & J Goodwin, ed. Documentary & Archival Research. Volume Two: Analyzing Human Documents. London: SAGE, 2014.
- Hackett K, Newton J, Rapley T, Deane K, Deary V, Ng W-F. Systematic reviews of occupational therapy interventions: summarizing research evidence and highlighting the gaps. British Journal of Occupational Therapy 2014, 77(9), 479-482.
- Bissett SM, Stone KM, Rapley T, Preshaw PM. An exploratory qualitative interview study about collaboration between medicine and dentistry in relation to diabetes management. BMJ Open 2013, 3(2), e002192.
- Patterson JM, Rapley T, Carding PN, Wilson JA, McColl E. Head and neck cancer and dysphagia; caring for carers. Psycho-Oncology 2013, 22(8), 1815-1820.
- Finch TL, Rapley T, Girling M, Mair FS, Murray E, Treweek S, McColl E, Steen IN, May CR. Improving the Normalization of Complex Interventions: Measure Development based on Normalization Process Theory (NoMAD): Study Protocol. Implementation Science 2013, 8(43), 1-8.
- Rapley T. Sampling Strategies in Qualitative Research. In: Flick, U, ed. The SAGE Handbook of Qualitative Data Analysis. London, UK: Sage Publications Ltd, 2013.
- Rapley T. Analysing conversations. In: Seale, C, ed. Researching Society and Culture. London: Sage, 2012, pp.424-440.
- Rapley T. Order, order: A 'modest' response to Stokoe. Discourse Studies 2012, 14(3), 321-328.
- Rapley T, Foster H. pREMS - A regional musculoskeletal assessment. In: Foster, HE; Brogan, PA, ed. Paediatric Rheumatology. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press, 2012, pp.23-27.
- Rapley T. The (extra)ordinary practices of qualitative interviewing. In: Gubrium, J., Holstein, J., Marvasti, A.B., McKinney, K.D, ed. The SAGE Handbook of Interview Research: The Complexity of the Craft. London: Sage, 2012, pp.541-554.
- May CR, Finch T, Ballini L, MacFarlane A, Mair F, Murray E, Treweek S, Rapley T. Evaluating complex interventions and health technologies using normalization process theory: development of a simplified approach and web-enabled toolkit. BMC Health Services Research 2011, 11(1), 245.
- Foster HE, Kay L, May C, Rapley T. Pediatric regional examination of the musculoskeletal system: A practice- and consensus-based approach. Arthritis Care & Research 2011, 63(11), 1503-1510.
- Foster H, Rapley T. Access to Pediatric Rheumatology Care - A Major Challenge to Improving Outcome in Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis. Journal of Rheumatology 2010, 37(11), 2199–2202.
- Rapley T. Analiza konwersacji, dyskursu i dokumentów. Warsaw, Poland: Wydawnictwo Naukowe PWN/Sage, 2010.
- Rapley T, Jenkings KN. Document Analysis. In: Baker, E; Peterson, P; McGaw, B, ed. The International Encyclopedia of Education. London: Elsevier Science, 2010, pp.380-385.
- Foster H, Rapley T, May C. Juvenile idiopathic arthritis: improved outcome requires improved access to care. Rheumatology 2010, 49(3), 401-403.
- Murray E, Treweek S, Pope C, MacFarlance A, Ballini L, Dowrick D, Finch T, Kennedy A, Mair F, O'Donnel C, Ong BN, Rapley T, Rogers A, May C. Normalisation process theory: a framework for developing, evaluating and implementing complex interventions. BMC Medicine 2010, 8(1), 63.
- Rapley T. Some Pragmatics of Qualitative Data Analysis. In: Silverman, D, ed. Qualitative Research: Theory, Method & Practice. London, UK: Sage Publications Ltd, 2010, pp.273-290.
- Rapley T. The art(fullness) of open-ended interviewing: some considerations on analysing interviews. In: Atkinson, P., Delamont , S, ed. SAGE Qualitative Research Methods. London: Sage, 2010, pp.179-200.
- Lecouturier J, Stobbart L, Murtagh MJ, Ford GA, Rapley T, Louw S, Rodgers H. The challenges of seeking consent from adults to participate in acute research studies. Clinical Ethics 2010, 5(2), 73-76.
- Moreira T, Rapley T. Understanding the Shaping, Incorporation and Coordination of Health Technologies through Qualitative Research. In: Bourgeault, I; DeVries, R; Dingwall, R, ed. The SAGE Handbook of Qualitative Methods in Health Research. London: Sage Publications, 2010, pp.658-672.
- Rapley T. 對話、論述研究法與文件分析. Beijing, China: Weber Publication International Ltd/Sage, 2010.
- Jandial S, Rapley T, Foster H. Current teaching of paediatric musculoskeletal medicine within UK medical schools – a need for change. Rheumatology 2009, 48(5), 587-590.
- May CR, Mair F, Finch T, MacFarlane A, Dowrick C, Treweek S, Rapley T, Ballini L, Ong BN, Rogers A, Murray E, Elwyn G, Legare F, Gunn J, Montori VM. Development of a theory of implementation and integration: Normalization Process Theory. Implementation Science 2009, 4(1), 29.
- Rapley T, May C. Evidence and risk: The sociology of health care grappling with knowledge and uncertainty. In: Edwards, A; Elwyn, G, ed. Shared Decision Making in Health Care: Achieving Evidence Based Patient Choice. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009, pp.53-58.
- Jandial S, Rapley T, Foster HE. Teaching of paediatric musculoskeletal medicine at UK medical schools – a need for change. Rheumatology 2009, 48(5), 587-590.
- Lecouturier J, Rapley T, Stobbart L, Ford G, Louw S, Rodgers H, Murtagh MJ. Clinical research without consent in adults in the emergency setting: a review of patient and public views. BMC Medical Ethics 2008, 9, 9.
- Rapley T. Distributed decision making: The anatomy of decisions-in-action. Sociology of Health and Illness 2008, 30(3), 429-444.
- Rapley T. The art(fullness) of open-ended interviewing: some considerations on analysing interviews. In: Fielding, N, ed. Interviewing II. London: Sage, 2008, pp.228-247.
- Stobbart L, Murtagh MJ, Rapley T, Ford G, Louw S, Rodgers H. “We saw human guinea pigs explode”: coverage of adverse events in the TGN 1412 trial in the printed media. British Medical Journal 2007, 334, 566-567.
- Rapley T. Doing Conversation, Discourse and Document Analysis. London: Sage, 2007.
- Hindmarsh J, Jenkings KN, Rapley TJ. Introduction to healthcare technologies in practice. Health Informatics Journal 2007, 13(1), 5-8.
- Kaner EFS, Heaven BRJ, Rapley TJ, Murtagh MJ, Graham RH, Thomson RG, May CR. Medical communication and technology: a video-based process study of the use of decision aids in primary care consultations. BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making 2007, 7(1), 2.
- Rapley T. Out of joint. A private and public story of arthritis [Book review]. Sociology of Health and Illness 2007, 29(7), 1107-1108.
- Murtagh MJ, Thomson RG, May CR, Rapley TJ, Heaven BRJ, Graham RH, Kaner EFS, Stobbart L, Eccles PJ. Qualitative methods in a randomised controlled trial: the role of an integrated qualitative process evaluation in providing evidence to discontinue the intervention in one arm of a trial of a decision support tool. Quality and Safety in Health Care 2007, 16(3), 224-229.
- May C, Finch T, Mair F, Ballini L, Dowrick C, Eccles M, Gask L, MacFarlane A, Murray E, Rapley T, Rogers A, Treweek S, Wallace P, Anderson G, Burns J, Heaven B. Understanding the implementation of complex interventions in health care: The normalization process model. BMC Health Services Research 2007, 7(148), 7.
- Wride N, Finch T, Rapley T, Moreira T, May C, Fraser S. What's in a name? Medication terms: What they mean and when to use them. British Journal of Ophthalmology 2007, 91(11), 1422-1424.
- May C, Rapley T, Kaner E. Clinical reasoning, clinical trials and risky drinkers in everyday primary care: A qualitative study of British general practitioners. Addiction Research and Theory 2006, 14(4), 387-397.
- Rapley TJ, May CR, Heaven BRJ, Murtagh MJ, Graham RH, Kaner EFS, Thomson RG. Doctor-patient interaction in a randomised controlled trial of decision-support tools. Social Science & Medicine 2006, 62(9), 2267-2278.
- Heaven BRJ, Murtagh MJ, Rapley TJ, May CR, Graham RH, Kaner EFS, Thomson RG. Patients or research subjects? A qualitative study of participation in a randomised controlled trial of a complex intervention. Patient Education and Counseling 2006, 62(2), 260-270.
- Kaner E, Rapley T, May C. Seeing through the glass darkly? A qualitative exploration of GPs' drinking and their alcohol intervention practices. Family Practice 2006, 23(4), 481-487.
- Rapley T, May C, Kaner EFS. Still a difficult business? Negotiating alcohol-related problems in general practice consultations. Social Science and Medicine 2006, 63(9), 2418-2428.
- May C, Rapley T, Moreira T, Finch T, Heaven B. Technogovernance: Evidence, subjectivity, and the clinical encounter in primary care medicine. Social Science and Medicine 2006, 62(4), 1022-1030.
- Rapley T. Analysing conversations. In: C. Seale, ed. Researching Society and Culture. London: Sage, 2004, pp.383-396.
- Rapley T. Interviews. In: Seale, B.S., Gobo, G., Gubrium, J.F., Silverman, D, ed. Qualitative Research Practice. London, UK: Sage Publications Ltd, 2004, pp.15-33.
- Rapley T. The art(fulness) of open-ended interviewing: some considerations on analysing interviews. Qualitative Research 2001, 1(3), 303-323.