Welcome to Newcastle!
We are a world-class university with a thriving international community. Currently we have students from over 120 different countries including more than 50 Russian students.
If you are thinking about joining us, we are here to help you every step of the way.
We have a strong global reputation for our high quality teaching and research. Choose from hundreds of undergraduate and postgraduate degrees on offer.
Newcastle is friendly, multicultural and safe. The city centre is just a few minutes' walk from the campus, and we're also close to the beach and countryside.
At Newcastle, you will develop connections with fellow students from around the world.
The International Society brings together students of different nationalities. This can help you settle in to the local environment and promotes cultural diversity on our campus.
Find out more about societies on the NUSU website.
We'll support you every step of the way, including:
- advice on visa applications
- guaranteed accommodation for one year (subject to certain conditions)
- airport meet and greet service
- International Welcome to help you make friends
- guidance about finances
- academic support and information
- English language support throughout your studies
- career guidance from our award-winning Careers Service
On campus you can visit our student support teams every weekday. We also have 24 hour support through our website.
Find out the qualifications from Russia that we accept for entry onto undergraduate and postgraduate courses at Newcastle.
Undergraduate entry requirementsUndergraduate entry requirements
Typically we recognise:
- GPA 4.0 or 80% average with specific grades or percentage in relevant subjects in at least one year of a Bakalavr at a recognised Russian University as comparable to ABB at A level
- GPA 4.0/5.0 or 80% average in at least one year of a Specialist Diploma in a recognised Russian university as comparable to ABB at A level
Please check course specific entry requirements as they do vary across courses, with ABB typically the minimum required.
Postgraduate entry requirementsPostgraduate entry requirements
Typically we recognise:
- 4.5/5.0 in a Bakalavr degree from a recognised university as comparable to a 2.1 and 4.0/5.0 as comparable to 2.2
- 4.5/5.0 in a Specialist Diploma from a recognised university as comparable to a 2.1 and 4.0/5.0 as comparable to a 2.2
If you do not meet these requirements you may be eligible to apply for entry to a course at INTO Newcastle. These courses are based on our campus and help you to prepare for study with us.
English language requirements
If your first language isn't English you will generally need an IELTS score of 6.5, or equivalent, to study at Newcastle.
Our English language requirements section also lists the alternative English language qualifications we accept. This varies depending on which country you are from.
If you don't meet our English language requirements extra support is available. You could also complete a course to help improve your English before you start your degree. We provide these at our:
You will also receive language support throughout your studies.
Most non-EEA students need to apply for entry clearance permission before departure to study in the UK. You can find more information on our Visa and Immigration page.
Fees & Funding
Fees and Funding
Scholarships and discounts
If you're wanting to come and study at Newcastle and you're from outside the EU we have a number of schemes you could take advantage. Visit our undergraduate finance pages or our postgraduate funding and finance database for more information on scholarships and discounts.
External fundingExternal funding
Chevening is the UK government’s international awards scheme aimed at developing global leaders. Further information about the awards, including how to apply, can be found on the Chevening website.
Newcastle University is a proud partner of the Global Education Program, offering large scholarships to Russian students studying at Master or PhD level.
Newcastle University is an approved institution for the Global Education Program in the following subjects:
- Computer and Information Science
- Information and Computer Engineering
- Information Security
- Chemical Technologies
- Construction Engineering
- Electronics, Radio Engineering and Communications Systems
- Photonics, Instrument-Making Industry, Optic and Biotechnological systems and technologies
- Power Industry and Heat-and-Power Engineering
- Nuclear Power Engineering and Technologies
- Mechanical Engineering
- Transport Engineering
- Aerospace Engineering
- Aeronavigation and Space Technologies
- Maritime Engineering
- Health Science and Preventive Medicine
- Fundamental Medicine
- Clinical Medicine
- Environmental Engineering and Biotechnologies
- Technosphere Safety
- Earth Science
- Geology, Mining, Oil and Gas Industry and Geodesy
- Materials Engineering
- Nano-technologies and Nano-materials
- Education and Pedagogics
For more information, please visit the Global Education Program website or contact them by telephone on 8 800 50 50 623.
Cost of living
Newcastle is a budget-friendly city for international students, compared to other UK cities. This is because:
- accommodation is reasonably priced
- many amenities are within walking distance of your accommodation
- the city is very compact, with most of the shops, theatres, cafes and restaurants a few minutes' walk from the campus
- there are many discounts for students
Approximate living costs, excluding tuition fees and return fares, are:
undergraduates – allow approximately £8,600 for a 9-month period (£956 per month)
postgraduates – allow approximately £10,500 for a 12-month period (£875 per month)
Further details are in our leaflet on the Cost of Living in Newcastle (PDF: 650KB).
Our graduates are in demand
Newcastle University has a proud tradition of graduates who achieve greatness in their chosen fields. From social leaders, innovators of industry and famous faces, Newcastle University alumni are making their mark across the globe.
Skills for the workplace
We work closely with employers to ensure the content of our degrees reflects the skills that are needed in the world of work. By providing internships and work experience placements wherever possible, we ensure you have the relevant skills to excel in your chosen career.
Our award-winning Careers Service is one of the best, largest and most innovative in the UK. Every year international, national and local employers come to our campus to deliver presentations and to hold interviews for their graduate-level jobs. If you want to build up work experience whilst studying, we have various initiatives to help you add to your degree.
You can contact us by email with any questions you may have about applying to Newcastle.
You can visit us on campus throughout the year for a personalised tour. We would love to meet you and show you life on campus first-hand. Complete our online form to request a tour.
You can also explore our campus and the city of Newcastle by watching one of our virtual tours.
Representatives from the International Recruitment Team and academic schools visit different countries throughout the year. Our upcoming visits to your country are listed here and new events will be added as they are confirmed. You can see all our travel plans on our events page.
How to Apply
You can apply online to study with us.
We have helpful instructions explaining how to do this on both our undergraduate and postgraduate websites:
Applying to INTO Newcastle
INTO Newcastle has courses to help you prepare to study with us. You can find out more about how to apply on our website.
We have excellent relationships with education agents from Russia who can provide further information and assist you with the submission of your application to Newcastle University. Our contacts are listed below.
International Studies Agency Insight
Entrance 8, Ground Floor Krasnoproletarskaya, Street 16, Building 3, 127473 Moscow
Other offices: St Petersburg, Kaliningrad, Vladivostok
IClass Education Group
Office 28, Lenina Street, House 28, 197136 St Petersburg
Itec Travel and Education
Tverskaya 22a Building 3, 3rd floor, 125009 Moscow
Other offices: Irkutsk, Kazan, Krasnoyarsk, Novosibirsk