Dr Alexandra Petrou
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0191 282 5965
My research interests are cognition, communication, language, and perception in both children and adults with autism spectrum conditions.
I completed my PhD in Applied Psychology at Heriot-Watt University in 2015. Prior to that I completed an MSc in Reading, Language, and Cognition (Distinction) at the University of York in 2009 where I achieved a prize from the Board of Examiners for Academic Excellence. I also hold a BSc in Psychology (2:1 with Hons) from the University of Birmingham that I obtained in 2008.
TeachingI have assisted in the teaching of many undergraduate modules in Psychology at Heriot-Watt University.
- Stewart ME, Petrou AM, Ota M. Categorical Speech Perception in Adults with Autism Spectrum Conditions. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Fletcher-Watson S, Petrou A, Scott-Barrett J, Dicks P, Graham C, O'Hare A, Pain H, McConachie H. A trial of an iPad™ intervention targeting social communication skills in children with autism. Autism 2016, 20(7), 771-782.
- Fletcher-Watson S, Petrou AM, Dicks P, Graham C, OHare A, Pain H, McConachie H. A trial of an iPad™ intervention targeting social communication skills in children with autism. Autism: International Journal of Research and Practice 2015, epub ahead of print.
- Ota M, Stewart ME, Petrou AM, Dickie C. Lexical Effects on Children’s Speech Processing: Individual Differences Reflected in the Autism-Spectrum Quotient. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research 2015, 58, 422-433.
- Snowling MJ, Duff F, Petrou AM, Schiffeldrin J, Bailey AM. Identification of children at risk of dyslexia: The validity of teacher judgements using ‘Phonic Phases’. Journal of Research in Reading 2011, 34, 157-170.