Dr Andreas Finkelmeyer
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1357
- Address: Academic Psychiatry
Institute of Neuroscience
Wolfson Research Centre
Campus for Ageing and Vitality
1995-2000: studied Psychology at Georg-August-University, Goettingen, Germany
2000-2002: studied Experimental Psychology at the University of Idaho, Moscow, ID, USA
2002-2007: studied Applied Experimental Psychology at The Catholic University of America, Washington, DC, USA
BA Psychology (German: Dipl.-Psych.)
M.Sc. Experimental Psychology
Ph.D. Applied Experimental Psychology
1997-2000: Undergarduate Research Assistant, Spatial Cognition Laboratory, Georg-August-University, Goettingen, Germany
2000-2002: Graduate Research Assistant, Spatial Cognition Laboratory, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID, USA
2002-2007: Graduate Research Assistant, Cognition and Virtual Reality Lab & Autism Research Group, The Catholic University of America, Washington, DC, USA
2007-2010: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Psychiatry & International Research Training Group "Schizophrenia and Autism", RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, Germany
German - native
English - fluent
I am interested in the behavioural and neurobiological correlates of emotion, cognition and their interaction, especially in relation to psychiatric disorders such as depression and schizophrenia. These disorders are associated with altered affective and cognitive functioning, but these (dys-)functions are not yet fully understood. In my work, I primarily use magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in patients and healthy volunteers to measure brain structure and activity during active task performance.
Furthermore, I am using MRI technologies to study biological correlates of complex disorders such as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
In previous research, I studied the role of spatial reference systems in spatial memory, spatial navigation and motion perception in virtual environments.
I have also been involved in various research projects that investigated olfactory function. Here smells were used in their primary sensory role, and as inherently 'emotional' stimuli.
I am currently involved in a clinical research trial that investigates the influence of an antiglucocorticoid augmentation therapy on treatment resistant depression - the ADD-Study: www.theaddstudy.co.uk.
Furthermore I am involved in large study investigating the role of autonomic dysfunctions in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome led by Prof. Julia Newton.
- Finkelmeyer A, Kellermann T, Bude D, Niessen T, Schwenzer M, Mathiak K, Reske M. Effects of aversive odour presentation on inhibitory control in the Stroop colour-word interference task. BMC Neuroscience 2010, 11, 131.
- Derntl B, Finkelmeyer A, Eickhoff S, Kellermann T, Falkenberg DI, Schneider F, Habel U. Multidimensional assessment of empathic abilities: neural correlates and gender differences. Psychoneuroendocrinology 2010, 35(1), 67-82.
- Seidel EM, Habel U, Finkelmeyer A, Schneider F, Gur RC, Derntl B. Implicit and explicit behavioral tendencies in male and female depression. Psychiatry Research 2010, 177(1-2), 124-130.
- Derntl B, Finkelmeyer A, Toygar TK, Hülsmann A, Schneider F, Falkenberg DI, Habel U. Generalized deficit in all core components of empathy in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research 2009, 108(1-3), 197-206.
- Gallagher P, Nilsson J, Finkelmeyer AE, Goshawk M, Macritchie KA, Lloyd AJ, Thompson JM, Porter RJ, Young AH, Ferrier IN, McAllister-Williams RH, Watson S. Neurocognitive intra-individual variability in mood disorders: effects on attentional response time distributions. Psychological Medicine 2015, 45(14), 2985-2997.
- Nilsson J, Ferrier IN, Coventry K, Bester A, Finkelmeyer A. Negative BOLD Response in the Hippocampus during Short-term Spatial Memory Retrieval. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience 2013, 25(8), 1358-1371.
- Pauly K, Finkelmeyer A, Schneider F, Habel U. The neural correlates of positive self-evaluation and self-related memory. Social Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience 2013, 8(8), 878-886.
- Kellermann T, Regenbogen C, De Vos M, Mossnang C, Finkelmeyer A, Habel U. Effective Connectivity of the Human Cerebellum during Visual Attention. Journal of Neuroscience 2012, 32(33), 11453-11460.
- Schneider D, Regenbogen C, Kellermann T, Finkelmeyer A, Kohn N, Derntl B, Schneider F, Habel U. Empathic behavioral and physiological responses to dynamic stimuli in depression. Psychiatry Research 2012, 200(2-3), 294-305.
- Derntl B, Finkelmeyer A, Voss B, Eickhoff SB, Kellermann T, Schneider F, Habel U. Neural correlates of the core facets of empathy in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research 2012, 136(1-3), 70-81.
- Seidel EM, Habel U, Finkelmeyer A, Hasmann A, Dobmeier M, Derntl B. Risk or resilience? Empathic abilities in patients with bipolar disorders and their first-degree relatives. Journal of Psychiatric Research 2012, 46(3), 382-388.
- Regenbogen C, Schneider DA, Finkelmeyer A, Kohn N, Derntl B, Kellermann T, Gur RE, Schneider F, Habel U. The differential contribution of facial expressions, prosody, and speech content to empathy. Cognition & Emotion 2012, 26(6), 995-1014.
- Moessnang C, Finkelmeyer A, Vossen A, Schneider F, Habel U. Assessing implicit odor localization in humans using a cross-modal spatial cueing paradigm. PLoS ONE 2011, 6(12), e29614.
- Paulzen M, Finkelmeyer A, Grözinger M. Augmentative effects of fluvoxamine on duloxetine plasma levels in depressed patients. Pharmacopsychiatry 2011, 44(7), 317-323.
- Finkelmeyer A, Nilsson J, He J, Stevens L, Maller JJ, Moss RA, Small S, Gallagher P, Coventry K, Ferrier IN, McAllister-Williams RH. Altered hippocampal function in major depression despite intact structure and resting perfusion. Psychological Medicine 2016, 46(10), 2157-2168.
- McAllister-Williams RH, Anderson IM, Finkelmeyer A, Gallagher P, Grunze HCR, Haddad PM, Hughes T, Lloyd AJ, Mamasoula C, McColl E, Pearce S, Siddiqi N, Sinha BNP, Steen N, Wainwright J, Winter FH, Ferrier IN, Watson S, ADD Study Team. Antidepressant augmentation with metyrapone for treatment-resistant depression (the ADD study): a double-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled trial. The Lancet Psychiatry 2016, 3(2), 117-127.
- Derntl B, Michel TM, Prempeh P, Backes V, Finkelmeyer A, Schneider F, Habel U. Empathy in individuals clinically at risk for psychosis: brain and behaviour. British Journal of Psychiatry 2015, 207(5), 407-413.
- Schulz MA, Regenbogen C, Moessnang C, Neuner I, Finkelmeyer A, Habel U, Kellermann T. On utilizing uncertainty information in template-based EEG-fMRI ballistocardiogram artifact removal. Psychophysiology 2015, 52(6), 857-863.
- Chechko N, Drexler EI, Voss B, Kellermann T, Finkelmeyer A, Schneider F, Habel U. Neural correlates of unsuccessful memory performance in MCI. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience 2014, 6, 201.