Professor Daniel Nettle
Professor of Behavioural Science
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 8993
- Personal Website: http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/daniel.nettle
- Address: Henry Wellcome Building
NE2 4HH, UK
Please see my my personal website.
Please see my my personal website.
MMB8003 The Biological Study of Behaviour
PSY1003 Evolution and Genetics for Psychology
PSY2004 Individual Differences
- Smith JE, Gavrilets S, Mulder MB, Hooper PL, El Mouden C, Nettle D, Hauert C, Hill K, Perry S, Pusey AE, van Vugt M, Smith EA. Leadership in Mammalian Societies: Emergence, Distribution, Power, and Payoff. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 2016, 31(1), 54-66.
- Nettle D, Bateson M. Adaptive developmental plasticity: what is it, how can we recognize it and when can it evolve?. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences 2015, 282(1812), 23-31.
- Nettle D, Monaghan P, Gillespie R, Brilot B, Bedford T, Bateson M. An experimental demonstration that early-life competitive disadvantage accelerates telomere loss. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 2015, 282, 20141610.
- Adams J, Stamp E, Nettle D, Milne EMG, Jagger C. Anticipated Survival and Health Behaviours in Older English Adults: Cross Sectional and Longitudinal Analysis of the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing. PLoS ONE 2015, 10(3), e0118782.
- Bateson M, Nettle D. Development of a cognitive bias methodology for measuring low mood in chimpanzees. PEERJ 2015, 3, e998.
- Nettle D, Andrews CP, Monaghan P, Brilot BO, Bedford T, Gillespie R, Bateson M. Developmental and familial predictors of adult cognitive traits in the European starling. Animal Behaviour 2015, 107, 239-248.
- Bateson M, Brilot BO, Gillespie R, Monaghan P, Nettle D. Developmental telomere attrition predicts impulsive decision-making in adult starlings. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 2015, 282(1799), 20142140.
- Andrews C, Viviani J, Egan E, Bedford T, Brilot B, Nettle D, Bateson M. Early life adversity increases foraging and information gathering in European starlings, Sturnus vulgaris. Animal Behaviour 2015, 109, 123-132.
- O'Hagan D, Andrews CP, Bedford T, Bateson M, Nettle D. Early life disadvantage strengthens flight performance trade-offs in European starlings, Sturnus vulgaris. Animal Behaviour 2015, 102, 141-148.
- Clutterbuck S, Adams J, Nettle D. Frequent residential relocations cumulatively accelerate menarcheal timing in a sample of English adolescent girls. Journal of Biosocial Sciences 2015, 47(2), 188-202.
- Bateson M, Emmerson M, Ergün G, Monaghan P, Nettle D. Opposite Effects of Early-Life Competition and Developmental Telomere Attrition on Cognitive Biases in Juvenile European Starlings. PLoS ONE 2015, 10(7), e0132602.
- Bateson M, Robinson R, Abayomi-Cole T, Greenlees J, O'Connor A, Nettle D. Watching eyes on potential litter can reduce littering: evidence from two field experiments. PeerJ 2015, 3, e1443.
- Nettle D, Pepper GV, Jobling R, Schroeder KB. Being there: A brief visit to a neighbourhood induces the social attitudes of that neighbourhood. PeerJ 2014, 2(e236), 1-20.
- Clutterbuck S, Adams J, Nettle D. Childhood Adversity Accelerates Intended Reproductive Timing in Adolescent Girls without Increasing Interest in Infants. PLoS ONE 2014, 9(1), e85013.
- El Mouden C, André JB, Morin O, Nettle D. Cultural transmission and the evolution of human behaviour: a general approach based on the Price equation. Journal of Evolutionary Biology 2014, 27(2), 231-241.
- Hill J, Pollet TV, Nettle D. Disorder affects judgements about a neighbourhood: police presence does not. PeerJ 2014, 2.
- Fathi M, Bateson M, Nettle D. Effects of Watching Eyes and Norm Cues on Charitable Giving in a Surreptitious Behavioral Experiment. Evolutionary Psychology 2014, 12(5), 878-887.
- Schroeder KB, Pepper GV, Nettle D. Local norms of cheating and the cultural evolution of crime and punishment: a study of two urban neighborhoods. PeerJ 2014, 2, e450.
- Pepper GV, Nettle D. Out of control mortality matters: the effect of perceived uncontrollable mortality risk on a health-related decision. PeerJ 2014, 2, e459.
- Pepper GV, Nettle D. Perceived Extrinsic Mortality Risk and Reported Effort in Looking after Health. Human Nature 2014, 25(3), 378-392.
- Pepper GV, Nettle D. Socioeconomic Disparities in Health Behaviour: An Evolutionary Perspective. In: Lawson, DW; Gibson, M, ed. Applied Evolutionary Anthropology: Darwinian Approaches to Contemporary World Issues. Springer, 2014, pp.225-243.
- Adams J, Stamp E, Nettle D, Milne EMG, Jagger C. Socioeconomic position and the association between anticipated and actual survival in older English adults. Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health 2014, 68(9), 818-825.
- Nettle D, Frankenhuis WE, Rickard IJ. The evolution of predictive adaptive responses in humans: response. Proceedings of the Royal Society B. Biological Sciences 2014, 281, 1780.
- Bloxham L, Bateson M, Bedford T, Brilot B, Nettle D. The memory of hunger: developmental plasticity of dietary selectivity in the European starling, Sturnus vulgaris. Animal Behaviour 2014, 91, 33-40.
- Nettle D. What the future held: childhood psychosocial adversity is associated with health deterioration through adulthood in a cohort of British women. Evolution and Human Behavior 2014, 35(6), 519-525.
- Rickard IJ, Frankenhuis WE, Nettle D. Why Are Childhood Family Factors Associated With Timing of Maturation? A Role for Internal Prediction. Perspectives on Psychological Science 2014, 9(1), 3-15.
- Stulp G, Buunk AP, Pollet TV, Nettle D, Verhulst S. Are Human Mating Preferences with Respect to Height Reflected in Actual Pairings?. PLoS One 2013, 8(1), e54186.
- Nettle D, Monaghan P, Boner W, Gillespie R, Bateson M. Bottom of the Heap: Having Heavier Competitors Accelerates Early-Life Telomere Loss in the European Starling, Sturnus vulgaris. PLoS One 2013, 8(12), e83617.
- Pepper GV, Nettle D. Death and the time of your life: experiences of close bereavement are associated with steeper financial future discounting and earlier reproduction. Evolution and Human Behavior 2013, 34(6), 433-439.
- Bateson M, Callow L, Holmes JR, Roche MLR, Nettle D. Do Images of 'Watching Eyes' Induce Behaviour That Is More Pro-Social or More Normative? A Field Experiment on Littering. PLoS ONE 2013, 8(12), e82055.
- Nettle D, Gibson MA, Lawson DW, Sear R. Human behavioral ecology: Current research and future prospects. Behavioral Ecology 2013, 24(5), 1031-1040.
- Nettle D, Gibson MA, Lawson DW, Sear R. Response: how much you need to engage with mechanism depends on what you are trying to do. Behavioral Ecology 2013, 24(5), 1046-1047.
- Nettle D, Cronin KA, Bateson M. Responses of chimpanzees to cues of conspecific observation. Animal Behaviour 2013, 86(3), 595-602.
- Nettle D, Frankenhuis WE, Rickard IJ. The evolution of predictive adaptive responses in human life history. Proceedings of the Royal Society B 2013, 280(1766), 20131343.
- Nettle D, Harper Z, Kidson A, Stone R, Penton-Voak IS, Bateson M. The watching eyes effect in the Dictator Game: it's not how much you give, it's being seen to give something. Evolution and Human Behavior 2013, 34(1), 35-40.
- Schroeder KB, McElreath R, Nettle D. Variants at serotonin transporter and 2A receptor genes predict cooperative behavior differentially according to presence of punishment. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2013, 110(10), 3955-3960.
- Kareklas K, Nettle D, Smulders TV. Water-induced finger wrinkles improve handling of wet objects. Biology Letters 2013, 9(2), 20120999.
- Nettle D, Nott K, Bateson M. 'Cycle Thieves, We Are Watching You': Impact of a Simple Signage Intervention against Bicycle Theft. PLoS One 2012, 7(12), e51738.
- Pollet TV, Nelissen M, Nettle D. A 'gendered need' explanation does not fully explain lineage based differences in grandparental investment found in a large British cohort study. Journal of Biosocial Science 2012, 44(3), 377-381.
- Nettle D. Behaviour of parents and children in two contrasting urban neighbourhoods: an observational study. Journal of Ethology 2012, 30(1), 109-116.
- Powell K, Roberts G, Nettle D. Eye images increase charitable donations: Evidence from an opportunistic field experiment in a supermarket. Ethology 2012, 118(11), 1096-1101.
- Nettle D, Coyne R, Colleony A. No Country for Old Men: Street Use and Social Diet in Urban Newcastle. Human Nature 2012, 23(4), 375-385.
- Nettle D. Social scale and structural complexity in human languages. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Society 2012, 367(1597), 1829-1836.
- Nettle D, Frankenhuis WE, Rickard IJ. The Adaptive Basis of Psychosocial Acceleration: Comment on Beyond Mental Health, Life History Strategies Articles. Developmental Psychology 2012, 48(3), 718-721.
- Nettle D, Bateson M. The Evolutionary Origins of Mood and Its Disorders. Current Biology 2012, 22(17), R712-R721.
- Sylwester K, Lyons M, Buchanan C, Nettle D, Roberts G. The role of Theory of Mind in assessing cooperative intentions. Personality and Individual Differences 2012, 52(2), 113-117.
- Brilot BO, Nettle D, Whittingham MJ, Bateson M, Read JCA. When is general wariness favored in avoiding multiple predators?. The American Naturalist 2012, 179(6), E180-E195.
- Bateson M, Brilot B, Nettle D. Anxiety: An Evolutionary Approach. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry 2011, 56(12), 707-715.
- Nettle D, Coall DA, Dickins TE. Early-life conditions and age at first pregnancy in British women. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences 2011, 278(1712), 1721-1727.
- Ernest-Jones M, Nettle D, Bateson M. Effects of eye images on everyday cooperative behavior: a field experiment. Evolution and Human Behavior 2011, 32(3), 172-178.
- Nettle D. Flexibility in reproductive timing in human females: integrating ultimate and proximate explanations. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London: Biological Sciences 2011, 366(1563), 357-365.
- Nettle D. Large Differences in Publicly Visible Health Behaviours across Two Neighbourhoods of the Same City. PLoS One 2011, 6(6), e21051.
- Stulp G, Verhulst S, Pollet TV, Nettle D, Buunk AP. Parental Height Differences Predict the Need for an Emergency Caesarean Section. PLoS One 2011, 6(6), e20497.
- Clegg H, Nettle D, Miell D. Status and mating success amongst visual artists. Frontiers in Psychology 2011, 2, 310.
- Nettle D, Panchanathan K, Rai TS, Fiske AP. The Evolution of Giving, Sharing, and Lotteries. Current Anthropology 2011, 52(5), 747-756.
- Nettle D, Colléony A, Cockerill M. Variation in cooperative behaviour within a single city. PLoS ONE 2011, 6(10), e26922.
- Herberich E, Hothorn T, Nettle D, Pollet T. A re-evaluation of the statistical model in Pollet and Nettle 2009. Evolution and Human Behavior 2010, 31(2), 150-151.
- Nettle D, Coall DA, Dickins TE. Birthweight and Paternal Involvement Predict Early Reproduction in British Women: Evidence from the National Child Development Study. American Journal of Human Biology 2010, 22(2), 172-179.
- Pollet T, Nettle D. Correction to Pollet and Nettle (2009): "Partner wealth predicts self-reported orgasm frequency in a sample of Chinese women". Evolution and Human Behavior 2010, 31(2), 149.
- Nettle D, Cockerill M. Development of Social Variation in Reproductive Schedules: A Study from an English Urban Area. PLoS ONE 2010, 5(9), e12690.
- Nettle D. Dying young and living fast: variation in life history across English neighborhoods. Behavioral Ecology 2010, 21(2), 387-395.
- Nettle D, Penke L. Personality: bridging the literatures from human psychology and behavioural ecology. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London B: Biological Sciences 2010, 365(1560), 4043-4050.
- Watts G, Nettle D. The role of anxiety in vaginismus: A case-control study. Journal of Sexual Medicine 2010, 7(1), 143-148.
- Nettle D. Understanding of Evolution May Be Improved by Thinking about People. Evolutionary Psychology 2010, 8(2), 205-228.
- Nettle D. Why Are There Social Gradients in Preventative Health Behavior? A Perspective from Behavioral Ecology. PLoS ONE 2010, 5(10), e13371.
- Nettle D. An evolutionary model of low mood states. Journal of Theoretical Biology 2009, 257(1), 100-103.
- Nettle D. Beyond nature versus culture: a response to comments. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 2009, 15(2), 250-253.
- Nettle D. Beyond Nature Versus Culture: cultural variation as an evolved characteristic. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 2009, 15(2), 223-240.
- Pollet TV, Nettle D. Birth order and adult family relationships: Firstborns have better sibling relationships than laterborns. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships 2009, 26(8), 1029-1046.
- Pollet TV, Nettle D. Dead or Alive? Knowledge about a Sibling's Death Varies by Genetic Relatedness in a Modern Society. Evolutionary Psychology 2009, 7(1), 57-65.
- Nettle D. Ecological influences on human behavioural diversity: a review of recent findings. Trends in Ecology & Evolution 2009, 24(11), 618-624.
- Nettle D. Evolution and Genetics for Psychology. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2009.
- Pollet TV, Nelissen M, Nettle D. Lineage Based Differences in Grandparental Investment: Evidence from a Large British Cohort Study. Journal of Biosocial Science 2009, 41(3), 355-379.
- Pollet T, Nettle D. Market forces affect patterns of polygyny in Uganda. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2009, 106(7), 2114-2117.
- Pollet TV, Nettle D. Market forces affect patterns of polygyny in Uganda. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2009, 106(7), 2114-2117.
- Pollet TV, Nettle D. Partner wealth predicts self-reported orgasm frequency in a sample of Chinese women. Evolution and Human Behavior 2009, 30(2), 146-151.
- Pollet TV, Fawcett TW, Buunk AP, Nettle D. Sex-ratio biasing towards daughters among lower-ranking co-wives in Rwanda. Biology Letters 2009, 5(6), 765-768.
- Nettle D. Social class through the evolutionary lens. Psychologist 2009, 22(11), 934-937.
- Adams JM, Nettle D. Time perspective, personality and smoking, body mass and physical activity: an empirical study. British Journal of Health Psychology 2009, 14(1), 83-105.
- Clegg H, Nettle D, Miell D. A test of Miller's aesthetic fitness hypothesis. Journal of Evolutionary Psychology 2008, 6(2), 101-115.
- Nettle D, Liddle B. Agreeableness is related to social-cognitive, but not social-perceptual, theory of mind. European Journal of Personality 2008, 22(4), 323-335.
- Nettle D. An evolutionary model of low mood states. In: International Journal of Psychology: XXIX International Congress of Psychology. 2008, Berlin, Germany: Psychology Press.
- Pollet TV, Nettle D. Driving a hard bargain: Sex ratio and male marriage success in a historical US population. Biology Letters 2008, 4(1), 31-33.
- Nettle D. It takes all sorts. New Scientist 2008, 197(2642), 36-39.
- Nettle D, Pollet TV. Natural selection on male wealth in humans. American Naturalist 2008, 172(5), 658-666.
- Nettle D. Putting ethology (back) into human personality psychology. European Journal of Personality 2008, 22(5), 464-465.
- Pollet TV, Nettle D. Taller women do better in a stressed environment: Height and reproductive success in rural Guatemalan women. American Journal of Human Biology 2008, 20(3), 264-269.
- Nettle D. Why do some dads get more involved than others? Evidence from a large British cohort. Evolution and Human Behaviour 2008, 29(6), 416-423.e1.
- Nettle D. Why is creativity attractive in a potential mate?. Behavioral and Brain Sciences 2008, 31(3), 275-276.
- Nettle D. A module for metaphor? The site of imagination in the architecture of the mind. In: Roth I, ed. Imaginative Minds. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2007, pp.259-274.
- Pollet TV, Nettle D. Birth order and face-to-face contact with a sibling: Firstborns have more contact than laterborns. Personality and Individual Differences 2007, 43(7), 1796-1806.
- Nettle D, Grace JB, Choisy M, Cornell HV, Guegan J-F, Hochberg ME. Cultural diversity, economic development and societal instability. PLoS ONE 2007, 2(9), e929.
- Nettle D. Empathizing and systemizing: What are they, and what do they contribute to our understanding of psychological sex differences?. British Journal of Psychology 2007, 98(2), 237-255.
- Nettle D. Language and genes: A new perspective on the origins of human cultural diversity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2007, 104(26), 10755-10756.
- Nettle D. Language and genes: A new perspective on the origins of human cultural diversity. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2007, 104(26), 10755-10756.
- Nettle D. Laying bare the machinery-mathematical models of social evolution: a guide for the perplexed. Evolution and Human Behavior 2007, 28(6), 447-448.
- Farrelly D, Nettle D. Marriage affects competitive performance in male tennis players. Journal of Evolutionary Psychology 2007, 5(1), 141-148.
- Pollet T, Nelissen M, Nettle D. Maternal grandmothers do go the extra mile: Factoring distance and lineage into differential contact with grandchildren. Evolutionary Psychology 2007, 5(4), 832-843.
- Nettle D. Traits and trade-offs are an important tier. American Psychologist 2007, 62(9), 1074-1075.
- Bateson M, Nettle D, Roberts G. Cues of being watched enhance cooperation in a real-world setting. Biology Letters 2006, 2(3), 412-414.
- Nettle D. Psychological profiles of professional actors. Personality and Individual Differences 2006, 40(2), 375-383.
- Nettle D. Reconciling the mutation-selection balance model with the schizotypy-creativity connection. Behavioral and Brain Sciences 2006, 29(4), 418-418.
- Nettle D. Schizotypy and mental health amongst poets, visual artists, and mathematicians. Journal of Research in Personality 2006, 40(6), 876-890.
- Nettle D, Clegg H. Schizotypy, creativity and mating success in humans. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 2006, 273(1586), 611-615.
- Nettle D. The creating brain: The neuroscience of genius. Applied Cognitive Psychology 2006, 20(8), 1117-1117.
- Nettle D. The evolution of personality variation in humans and other animals. American Psychologist 2006, 61(6), 622-631.
- Haselton MG, Nettle D. The Paranoid Optimist : An Integrative Evolutionary Model of Cognitive Biases. Personality and Social Psychology Review 2006, 10(1), 47-66.
- Fessler DMT, Nettle D, Afshar Y, De Andrade Pinheiro I, Bolyanatz A, Mulder MB, Cravalho M, Delgado T, Gruzd B, Correia MO, Khaltourina D, Korotayev A, Marrow J, Santiago De Souza L, Zbarauskaite A. A cross-cultural investigation of the role of foot size in physical attractiveness. Archives of Sexual Behavior 2005, 34(3), 267-276.
- Nettle D. An evolutionary approach to the extraversion continuum. Evolution and Human Behavior 2005, 26(4), 363-373.
- Nettle D. Happiness: The Science behind your Smile. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2005.
- Roberts KH, Munafo MR, Rodriguez D, Drury M, Murphy MFG, Neale RE, Nettle D. Longitudinal analysis of the effect of prenatal nicotine exposure on subsequent smoking behavior of offspring. Nicotine and Tobacco Research 2005, 7(5), 801-808.
- Joinson C, Nettle D. Season of birth variation in sensation seeking in an adult population. Personality and Individual Differences 2005, 38(4), 859-870.
- Haselton MG, Nettle D, Andrews P. The evolution of cognitive bias. In: Buss, D.M, ed. Handbook of Evolutionary Psychology. New York: Wiley, 2005, pp.724-746.
- Nettle D. The wheel of fire and the mating game: Exploring the foundations of drama. Journal of Cultural and Evolutionary Psychology 2005, 3(1), 39-56.
- Nettle D. Adaptive illusions: Optimism, control and human rationality. In: Evans, D. Cruse, P, ed. Emotion, Evolution and Rationality. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004, pp.193-208.
- Nettle D. Evolutionary origins of depression: A review and reformulation. Journal of Affective Disorders 2004, 81(2), 91-102.
- Nettle D. Experiment: Conversations in art and science [book review]. The Times Literary Supplement 2004, (5290), 26-26.
- Nettle D. Hand laterality and cognitive ability: A multiple regression approach. Brain and Cognition 2003, 52(3), 390-398.
- Nettle D. Intelligence and class mobility in the British population. British Journal of Psychology 2003, 94(4), 551-61.
- Nettle D, Harriss L. Linguistic and genetic affinities between human populations in Africa and Eurasia. Human Biology 2003, 75(3), 331-344.
- Nettle D. Height and reproductive success in a cohort of British men. Human Nature 2002, 13(4), 473-491.
- Nettle D. Women's height, reproductive success and the evolution of sexual dimorphism in modern humans. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 2002, 269(1503), 1919-1923.