Professor David Brooks
Prof of Clinical PET Research
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 81195
David J Brooks MD DSc FRCP(UK) FMed Sci (UK) is Professor of PET Clinical Science at Newcastle University, Visiting Professor of Neurology in the Department of Medicine, Imperial College London and part-time Professor of Neurology at Dept of Nuclear Medicine, Aarhus University, Denmark. He is Chairman of the European Research Council Neuroscience Panel (Advanced Grants), on the Grant Awards Board of Alzheimer Research UK, the Biomedical Research Advisory Panel of Alzheimer UK, and was on the Scientific Advisory Boards of Parkinson’s UK, and the German Dementia and Parkinson Kompetenz Networks. He is the Chairman of the NUHS Scientific Advisory Panel, Singapore and was a member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Disease Research (2002-2006), UK Medical Research Council Neuroscience and Mental Health Board (2004-2007), Wellcome Trust Neuroscience Panel (2001-2003) and was Chairman of the Scientific Issues Committee of the Movement Disorder Society (1998-2002).
He is an Associate Editor of Brain and is on the Editorial Boards of Annals of Neurology, Journal of Parkinson’s Disease, Synapse, and NPJ Parkinson's Disease. He was on the Editorial Boards of Movement Disorders 1994-1998 and Parkinsonism and Related Disorders 2012-2016. In 2001 he was elected a Fellow of the Academy of Medical Science, UK. His research involves the use of positron emission tomography and magnetic resonance imaging to diagnose and study the progression of Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease and his work is on the highly cited list with an h index of 106. He has been a recipient of a Danish Alzheimer Foundation Prize, the Kuhl-Lassen award (Society of Nuclear Medicine), and was invited to give the Ramon Y Cajal Lecture (Spanish Academy of Medicine), the Stahn Fahn Lecture (International Movement Disorder Society) and Cotzias Lecture (Spanish Neurology Society) Lectures. He is a consultant for GE Healthcare, Biogen, Plexxikon, and GenePod.
Selected Publications (h index 106)1. Brooks DJ, et al. Differing patterns of striatal 18F-dopa uptake in Parkinson's disease, multiple system atrophy, and progressive supranuclear palsy. Ann Neurol. 1990; 28: 547-555.
2. Koepp MJ, … Brooks DJ, … Grasby PM. Evidence for striatal dopamine release during a video game. Nature 1998; 393: 266-268.
3. Cagnin A, Brooks DJ, et al. In vivo measurement of microglial activation in dementia. Lancet 2001; 358: 461-467.
4. Gill SS, … Brooks DJ, … Heywood P. Direct brain infusion of glial cell line-derived neu rotrophic factor (GDNF) in Parkinson's Disease. Nature Medicine 2003; 9: 589-595.
5. Rinne JO, Brooks DJ, et al. [11C]PiB PET supports reduced cortical fibrillar Ag in Alzheimer's disease patients treated with bapineuzumab. Lancet Neurol 2010; 9: 363-372.
6. Piccini P, Brooks DJ, Bjorkl und A, Gunn RN, Grasby PM, Rimoldi 0, Brundi n P, Hagell P, Rehncrona S, Widner H, Lindvall O. Dopamine release from nigral tra nsplants visualised in vivo in a Parkinson's patient. Nature Neuroscience 1999; 2: 1137-1140.
7. Rascol O, Brooks DJ, Korczyn AD, De Deyn P, Clarke C, Lang AE. Dyskinesia in Parkinson's Disease: A 5-Year Study of ropinirole versus levodopa. New Eng.J Med. 2000; 342: 1484-1491.
- Hansen AK, Knudsen K, Lillethorup TP, Landau AM, Parbo P, Fedorova T, Audrain H, Bender D, Ostergaard K, Brooks DJ, Borghammer P. In vivo imaging of neuromelanin in Parkinson's disease using 18F-AV-1451 PET. Brain 2016, 139, 2039-2049.
- Firbank MJ, Yarnall AJ, Lawson RA, Duncan GW, Khoo TK, Petrides GS, O'Brien JT, Barker RA, Maxwell RJ, Brooks DJ, Burn DJ. Cerebral glucose metabolism and cognition in newly diagnosed Parkinson’s disease: ICICLE-PD study. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry 2016, (ePub ahead of print).
- Duncan GW, Firbank MJ, Yarnall AJ, Khoo TK, Brooks DJ, Barker RA, Burn DJ, O'Brien JT. Gray and white matter imaging: A biomarker for cognitive impairment in early Parkinson's disease?. Movement Disorders 2016, 31(1), 103-110.
- Breen DP, Nombela C, Vuono R, Jones PS, Fisher K, Burn DJ, Brooks DJ, Reddy AB, Rowe JB, Barker RA. Hypothalamic volume loss is associated with reduced melatonin output in Parkinson's disease. Movement Disorders 2016, 31(7), 1062-1066.
- Brooks DJ, Tambasco N. Imaging Synucleinopathies. Movement Disorders 2016, 31(6), 814-829.
- Borghammer P, Knudsen K, Brooks DJ. Imaging Systemic Dysfunction in Parkinson's Disease. Current Neurology and Neuroscience Reports 2016, 16(6), 51.
- Brooks DJ. Molecular imaging of dopamine transporters. Ageing Research Reviews 2016, 30, 114-121.
- Peraza LR, Lawson RA, Firbank JM, Yarnall A, Duncan GW, Khoo TK, Brooks D, O'Brien JT, Barker RA, Burn D, Taylor JP. Principal component discriminant analysis of mild cognitive impairment in Parkinson’s disease reveals early functional changes in the resting state. In: Neuroinformatics 2016 INCF Conference. 2016, Reading, UK: Frontiers Media S.A.
- Yarnall AJ, Lawson RA, Duncan GW, Breen DP, Khoo TK, Brooks D, Barker RA, Taylor JP, Burn DJ. Anticholinergic Load: Is there a Cognitive Cost in Early Parkinson's Disease?. Journal of Parkinson's Disease 2015, 5(4), 743-743.
- Mak E, Su L, Williams G, Lawson R, Yarnall A, Gordon D, Adrian O, Tien K, Brooks D, Rowe J, Barker R, Burn D, O'Brien J. Baseline and longitudinal grey matter changes in newly diagnosed Parkinson's disease: ICICLE-PD study. In: 17th IPA International. 2015, Berlin, Germany: Cambridge University Press.
- Nombela C, Rowe JB, Winder-Rhodes SE, Hampshire A, Owen AM, Breen DP, Duncan GW, Khoo TK, Yarnall AJ, Firbank MJ, Chinnery PF, Robbins TW, O'Brien JT, Brooks DJ, Burn DJ, Barker RA, ICICLE-PD Study Grp. Genetic impact on cognition and brain function in newly diagnosed Parkinson's disease: ICICLE-PD study. Brain 2014, 137, 2743-2758.
- Stokholm MG, Iranzo A, Ostergaard K, Serradell M, Otto M, Svendsen KB, Garrido A, Vilas D, Borghammer P, Santamaria J, Moller A, Gaig C, Brooks DJ, Tolosa E, Pavese N. Assessment of neuroinflammation in patients with idiopathic rapid-eye-movement sleep behaviour disorder: A case-control study. The Lancet Neurology 2017, 16(10), 789-796.
- Parbo P, Ismail R, Hansen K, Mårup F, Gottrup H, Braendgaard H, Eriksson B, Eskildsen S, Lund T, Tietze A, Edison P, Pavese N, Stokholm M, Borghammer P, Hinz R, Aanerud J, Brooks DJ. Brain inflammation accompanies amyloid in a majority of mild cognitive impairment cases due to Alzheimer’s disease. Brain 2017, 140(7), 2002-2011.
- Sommerauer M, Fedorova TD, Hansen AK, Knudsen K, Otto M, Jeppesen J, Frederiksen Y, Blicher JU, Geday J, Nahimi A, Damholdt MF, Brooks DJ, Borghammer P. Evaluation of the noradrenergic system in Parkinson’s disease An 11C-MeNER positron emission tomography & neuromelanin magnetic resonance imaging study. Brain 2017. In Press.
- Hansen AK, Damholdt MF, Fedorova TD, Knudsen K, Parbo P, Ismail R, Ostergaard K, Brooks DJ, Borghammer P. In Vivo cortical tau in Parkinson's disease using 18F-AV-1451 positron emission tomography. Movement Disorders 2017, 32(6), 922-927.
- Peraza LR, Nesbitt D, Lawson RA, Duncan GW, Yarnall AJ, Khoo TK, Kaiser M, Firbank MJ, O'Brien JT, Barker RA, Brooks DJ, Burn DJ, Taylor JP. Intra- and inter-network functional alterations in Parkinson's disease with mild cognitive impairment. Human Brain Mapping 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Mak E, Su L, Williams GB, Firbank MJ, Lawson RA, Yarnall AJ, Duncan GW, Mollenhauer B, Owen AM, Khoo TK, Brooks DJ, Rowe JB, Barker RA, Burn DJ, O'Brien JT. Longitudinal whole-brain atrophy and ventricular enlargement in nondemented Parkinson's disease. Neurobiology of Aging 2017, 55, 78-90.
- Obeso JA, Stamelou M, Goetz CG, Poewe W, Lang AE, Weintraub D, Burn D, Halliday GM, Bezard E, Przedborski S, Lehericy S, Brooks DJ, Rothwell JC, Hallett M, DeLong MR, Marras C, Tanner CM, Ross GW, Langston JW, Klein C, Bonifati V, Jankovic J, Lozano AM, Deuschl G, Bergman H, Tolosa E, Rodriguez-Violante M, Fahn S, Postuma RB, Berg D, Marek K, Standaert DG, Surmeier DJ, Olanow CW, Kordower JH, Calabresi P, Schapira AHV, Stoessl AJ. Past, present, and future of Parkinson's disease: A special essay on the 200th Anniversary of the Shaking Palsy. Movement Disorders 2017, 32(9), 1264-1310.
- Dani M, Brooks DJ, Edison P. Suspected non Alzheimer's pathology – Is it non-Alzheimer's or non-amyloid?. Ageing Research Reviews 2017, 36, 20-31.
- Politis M, Sauerbier A, Loane C, Pavese N, Martin A, Corcoran B, Brooks DJ, Ray-Chaudhuri K, Piccini P. Sustained striatal dopamine levels following intestinal levodopa infusions in Parkinson's disease patients. Movement Disorders 2017, 32(2), 235-240.
- Buckley CJ, Sherwin PF, Smith APL, Wolber J, Weick SM, Brooks DJ. Validation of an electronic image reader training programme for interpretation of [18F]flutemetamol β-amyloid PET brain images. Nuclear Medicine Communications 2017, 38(3), 234-241.
- Pagano G, Molloy S, Bain PG, Rabiner EA, Chaudhuri KR, Brooks DJ, Pavese N. Sleep problems and hypothalamic dopamine D3 receptor availability in Parkinson disease. Neurology 2016, 87(23), 2451-2456.
- Khoo TK, Yarnall AJ, Duncan GW, Coleman S, O'Brien JT, Brooks DJ, Barker RA, Burn DJ. The spectrum of nonmotor symptoms in early Parkinson disease. Neurology 2013, 80(3), 276-281.
- Yarnall AJ, Khoo TK, Duncan GW, Barker RA, Brooks DJ, Burn DJ. Anti-cholinergic load: Is there a cognitive cost in early Parkinson’s disease?. In: The Movement Disorders Society 16th International Congress of Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorders. 2012, Dublin, Ireland.
- Khoo TK, Duncan GW, Yarnall AJ, Brooks DJ, Barker RA, O'Brien JT, Burn DJ. Apathy in incident Parkinson’s disease. In: The Movement Disorders Society 16th International Congress of Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorders. 2012, Dublin, Ireland.
- Yarnall AJ, Rochester L, David R, Duncan GW, Khoo TK, Barker RA, Brooks DJ, Baker MR, Burn DJ. Cholinergic dysfunction in Parkinson’s disease with mild cognitive impairment: a short latency afferent inhibition study. In: The Movement Disorders Society 16th International Congress of Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorders. 2012, Dublin, Ireland.
- Duncan GW, Khoo TK, Yarnall AJ, O'Brien JT, Brooks DJ, Barker RA, Burn DJ. Elevated homocysteine levels and cognitive dysfunction in an incident cohort of non-demented Parkinson’s disease patients. In: The Movement Disorders Society 16th International Congress of Parkinson’s Disease and Movement Disorders. 2012, Dublin, Ireland.
- Brooks DJ. PET and SPECT imaging in progressive supranuclear palsy. In: MOVEMENT DISORDERS. 2004.
- Bhatia K, Brooks DJ, Burn DJ, Clarke CE, Grosset DG, MacMahon DG, Playfer J, Schapira AHV, Stewart D, Widliams AC, Parkinsons Dis Consensus Working G. Updated guidelines for the management of Parkinson's disease. Hospital Medicine 2001, 62(8), 456-470.
- Bhatia K, Brooks DJ, Burn DJ, Clarke CE, Playfer J, Sawle GV, Schapira AHV, Stewart D, Williams AC, Parkinson Dis Consensus Working Grp. Guidelines for the management of Parkinson's disease. HOSPITAL MEDICINE 1998, 59(6), 469-480.
- Hansen AK, Brooks DJ, Borghammer P. MAO-B Inhibitors Do Not Block In Vivo Flortaucipir ([18F]-AV-1451) Binding. Molecular Imaging and Biology 2017, epub ahead of print.