Professor Douglas Turkington
Honorary Professor of Psychosocial Psychiatry
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44(0)191 2468680
- Personal Website: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Address: Academic Psychiatry,
Newcastle General Hospital,
Dr Turkington has carried out research into the efficacy and effectiveness of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) in the treatment of schizophrenia. He has carried out randomised controlled trials in schizophrenia spectrum disorder of CBT versus befriending and of CBT versus treatment as usual in community settings. He has also conducted short and medium term follow ups. He has co-authored ten books on the use of CBT in schizophrenia, three of these being treatment manuals. He has worked in the area of training support workers and carers in low intensity CBT techniques for schizophrenia. He along with colleagues at the University of Valencia (Professor Julio Sanjuan) has investigated fMRI outcomes in CBT for distressing auditory hallucinations. He has researched CBT for schizophrenia in China at Anding Hospital, Beijing along with Dr Li. He has investigated CBT as against cognitive adaptation training and an amalgam of both treatments for chronic schizophrenia with Dawn Velligan at the University of San Antonio, Texas. Linking with the PRU at Manchester University he has worked for a sustained period with Professor Anthony Morrison on CBT for psychotic disorders when clients refuse antipsychotic medication and for those with clozapine resistance. He is currently wotrking with Professor Hinzen and Ferrier on the language and mental health study (PALS). He is now applying for grants in relation to those people with psychosis with strong traumatic vulnerability to test whether they respond preferentially to CBT. He is keen to research the possibilities of CBT enhancement using oxytocin for the treatment of critical hallucinations.
Honorary Professor of Psychosocial Psychiatry and previously Consultant Liaison Psychiatrist at the Royal victoria Infirmary.
Wellcome, RfPB and HTA trust grant holder.
BMA book award for CBT for severe mental Disorders (2009)
Joint recipient of the Aaron T Beck award for excellence in Cognitive Therapy (2015)
National and international teaching on CBT of psychotic disorders including symposia, seminars and workshops.
- Morrison AP, Turkington D, Pyle M, Spencer H, Brabban A, Dunn G, Christodoulides T, Dudley R, Chapman N, Callcott P, Grace T, Lumley V, Drage L, Tully S, Irving K, Cummings A, Byrne R, Davies LM, Hutton P. Cognitive therapy for people with schizophrenia spectrum disorders not taking antipsychotic drugs: a single-blind randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2014, 383(9926), 1395-1403.
- Morrison AP, Dunn G, Turkington D, Pyle M, Hutton P. Cognitive therapy for patients with schizophrenia - Authors' reply. Lancet 2014, 384(9941), 401-402.
- Turkington D, Munetz M, Pelton J, Montesano V, Sivec H, Nausheen B, Kingdon D. High-Yield Cognitive Behavioral Techniques for Psychosis Delivered by Case Managers to Their Clients With Persistent Psychotic Symptoms An Exploratory Trial. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 2014, 202(1), 30-34.
- Redhead AP, Turkington D, Rao S, Tynan MM, Bourke JP. Psychopathology in postinfarction patients implanted with cardioverter-defibrillators for secondary prevention. A cross-sectional, case-controlled study. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 2010, 69(6), 555-563.
- Turkington D, Kingdon D, Turner T. Effectiveness of a brief cognitive-behavioural therapy intervention in the treatment of schizophrenia. British Journal of Psychiatry 2002, 180, 523-527.
- Samarasekera N, Kingdon D, Siddle R, O'Carroll M, Scott JL, Sensky T, Barnes TRE, Turkington D. Befriending patients with medication-resistant schizophrenia: Can psychotic symptoms predict treatment response?. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice 2007, 80, 97-106.
- Malik N, Kingdon D, Pelton J, Mehta R, Turkington D. Effectiveness of Brief Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Schizophrenia Delivered by Mental Health Nurses: Relapse and Recovery at 24 Months. Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 2009, 70(2), 201-207.
- Brabban A, Tai S, Turkington D. Predictors of Outcome in Brief Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin 2009, 35(5), 859-864.
- Turkington D, Kingdon D, Weiden PJ. Cognitive behavior therapy for schizophrenia. American Journal of Psychiatry 2006, 163(3), 365-373.
- Turkington D, Hedwat D, Rider I, Young AH. Recovery from chronic fatigue syndrome with modafinil. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental 2004, 19(1), 63-64.
- Hansen L, Turkington D, Kingdon D, Smith P. Brief rating instrument for assessment of negative symptoms: Derived from the Comprehensive Psychopathological Rating Scale. International Journal of Psychiatry in Clinical Practice 2003, 7(2), 113-116.
- Turkington D. The Reporting of Confidence Intervals in Exploratory Clinical Trials and Professional Insecurity A Response to Ritchie et al. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 2014, 202(7), 567-567.
- Turkington D, Wright NP, Tai S. Advances in Cognitive Behavior Therapy for Psychosis. International Journal of Cognitive Therapy 2013, 6(2), 150-170.
- Morrison AP, Wardle M, Hutton P, Davies L, Dunn G, Brabban A, Byrne R, Drage L, Spencer H, Turkington D. Assessing Cognitive Therapy Instead Of Neuroleptics: Rationale, study design and sample characteristics of the ACTION trial. Psychosis: Psychological, Social and Integrative Approaches 2013, 5(1), 82-92.
- Howard A, Forsyth A, Spencer H, Young EW, Turkington D. Do voice hearers naturally use focusing and metacognitive coping techniques?. Psychosis: Psychological, Social and Integrative Approaches 2013, 5(2), 119-126.
- Ormrod J, Shaftoe D, Cavanagh K, Freeston M, Turkington D, Price J, Dudley R. A pilot study exploring the contribution of working memory to "jumping to conclusions" in people with first episode psychosis. Cognitive Neuropsychiatry 2012, 17(2), 97-114.
- Morrison AP, Turkington D, Wardle M, Spencer H, Barratt S, Dudley R, Brabban A, Hutton P. A preliminary exploration of predictors of outcome and cognitive mechanisms of change in cognitive behaviour therapy for psychosis in people not taking antipsychotic medication. Behaviour Research and Therapy 2012, 50(2), 163-167.
- Kinoshita Y, Kingdon D, Kinoshita K, Sarafudheen S, Umadi D, Dayson D, Hansen L, Rathod S, Ibbotson RB, Turkington D, Furukawa TA. A semi-structured clinical interview for psychosis sub-groups (SCIPS): development and psychometric properties. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology 2012, 47(4), 563-580.
- Morrison AP, Hutton P, Shiers D, Turkington D. Antipsychotics: is it time to introduce patient choice?. British Journal of Psychiatry 2012, 201(2), 83-84.
- Kingdon DG, Solomka B, McAllister-Williams H, Turkington D, Gregoire A, Elnazer H, Thagadur M, Hansen L, Rathod S, Gleeson S, Zoha M, Singh P, Naeem F. Care clusters and mental health Payment by Results. British Journal of Psychiatry 2012, 200(2), 162-162.
- Turkington D, Morrison AP. Cognitive Therapy for Negative Symptoms of Schizophrenia. Archives of General Psychiatry 2012, 69(2), 119-120.
- Morrison AP, Hutton P, Wardle M, Spencer H, Barratt S, Brabban A, Callcott P, Christodoulides T, Dudley R, French P, Lumley V, Tai SJ, Turkington D. Cognitive therapy for people with a schizophrenia spectrum diagnosis not taking antipsychotic medication: An exploratory trial. Psychological Medicine 2012, 42(5), 1049-1056.
- Morrison AP, Hutton P, Shiers D, Turkington D. Embracing patient choice: Author's Reply. British Journal of Psychiatry 2012, 201(6), 494-495.
- Nafees B, de Jonge PV, Stull D, Pascoe K, Price M, Clarke A, Turkington D. Reliability and validity of the Personal and Social Performance scale in patients with schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research 2012, 140(1-3), 71-76.
- Turkington D. Psychosis as a personal crisis. An experience-based approach. Psychosis : Psychological, Social and Integrative Approaches 2011, 3(3), 255-256.
- Jones RM, Hansen L, Moskvina V, Kingdon D, Turkington D. The relationship between self-esteem and psychotic symptoms in schizophrenia: A longitudinal study. PSYCHOSIS-PSYCHOLOGICAL SOCIAL AND INTEGRATIVE APPROACHES 2010, 2(3), 218-226.
- Velligan DI, Turkington D, Tai S. MULTI-MODAL COGNITIVE THERAPY FOR SCHIZOPHRENIA: ADDRESSING COGNITIVE IMPAIRMENT AND DYSFUNCTIONAL COGNITIVE SCHEMAS. In: SCHIZOPHRENIA BULLETIN. 2009, GREAT CLARENDON ST, OXFORD OX2 6DP, ENGLAND: OXFORD UNIV PRESS.
- Turkington D, Kingdon D, Chadwick P. Cognitive-behavioural therapy for schizophrenia: filling the therapeutic vacuum. British Journal of Psychiatry 2003, 183(2), 98-99.
- Turkington D, McKenna P. Is cognitive-behavioural therapy a worthwhile treatment for psychosis?. British Journal of Psychiatry 2003, 182, 477-479.
- Turkington D. Psychologic mechanisms of psychosis. Advanced Studies in Medicine 2003, 3(8C), S773-S775.
- Kuipers E, Garety P, Dunn G, Bebbington P, Fowler D, Freeman D, Turkington D. CBT for psychosis. British Journal of Psychiatry 2002, 181, 534.
- Turkington D. CBT for psychosis - Reply. British Journal of Psychiatry 2002, 181(6), 534.
- Turkington D. Cognitive-behavioural therapy for schizophrenia. British Journal of Psychiatry 2002, 181(5), 439-440.
- Turkington D, Kingdon DG, Turner T, Insight Schizophrenia Res Grp. Does brief cognitive behavioural therapy have a durable effect?. In: Schizophrenia Research: XIth Biennial Winter Workshop on Schizophrenia. 2002, Davos, Switzerland: Elsevier BV.
- Turkington D, Kingdon DG, Turner T, Insight Schizophrenia Res Grp. Effectiveness of a brief cognitive behavioural intervention in the treatment of schizophrenia. In: Schizophrenia Research: XIth Biennial Winter Workshop on Schizophrenia. 2002, Davos, Switzerland: Elsevier BV.
- Drummond C, Kouimtsidis C, Reynolds M, Russell I, Godfrey C, Mccusker M, Coulton S, Parrott S, Davis P, Tarrier N, Turkington D, Sell L, Merrill J, Williams H, Abou-Saleh M, Ghodse H, Porter S, Daw R, Fyles N, Keating S, Moloney A, Pryce K, Mehdikhani M, Barnaby B, Jack L, Ruben S, UKCBTMM Project Grp, UKBCTMM Res Team. The effectiveness and cost effectiveness of Cognitive Behaviour Therapy for opiate misusers in methadone maintenance treatment: A multicentre, randomised, controlled trial. UKCBTMM Study: United Kingdom Cognitive Behaviour Therapy Study in Methadone Maintenance Treatment. Drugs 2005, 12(s1), 69-76.
- Moorhead S, Turkington D. The CBT of delusional disorder: The relationship between schema vulnerability and psychotic content. British Journal of Medical Psychology 2001, 74(4), 419-430.
- Sensky T, Turkington D, Kingdon D, Scott J, Siddle R, O'Carroll M, Barnes TRE. A randomized controlled trial of cognitive-behavioral therapy for persistent symptoms in schizophrenia resistant to medication. Archives of General Psychiatry 2000, 57(2), 165-172.
- Turkington D, Kingdom D. Cognitive-behavioural techniques for general psychiatrists in the management of patients with psychoses. British Journal of Psychiatry 2000, 177, 101-106.
- Turkington D, Spencer H, Lebert L, Dudley R. Befriending: active placebo or effective psychotherapy?. British Journal of Psychiatry 2017, 211(1), 5-6.
- Guo Z-H, Li Z-J, Ma Y, Sun J, Guo J-H, Li W-X, Wang Z-Q, Xu H-L, Ng RMK, Turkington D, Kingdon D. Brief cognitive-behavioural therapy for patients in the community with schizophrenia: Randomised controlled trial in Beijing, China. British Journal of Psychiatry 2017, 210(3), 223-229.
- Zimmerer VC, Watson S, Turkington D, Ferrier IN, Hinzen W. Deictic and Propositional Meaning-New Perspectives on Language in schizophrenia. Frontiers in Psychiatry 2017, 8, 17.
- Aguilar EJ, Corripio I, Garcia-Marti G, Grasa E, Marti-Bonmati L, Gomez-Anson B, Sanjuan J, Nunez-Marin F, Lorente-Rovira E, Escarti MJ, Brabban A, Turkington D. Emotional fMR auditory paradigm demonstrates normalization of limbic hyperactivity after cognitive behavior therapy for auditory hallucinations. Schizophrenia Research 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Tully S, Wells A, Pyle M, Hudson J, Gumley A, Kingdon D, Schwannauer M, Turkington D, Morrison AP. Measuring common responses to psychosis: Assessing the psychometric properties of a new measure. Schizophrenia Research 2017, 181, 131-136.
- Turkington D, Lebert L. Psychological treatments for schizophrenia spectrum disorder: What is around the corner?. Advances in Psychiatric Treatment 2017, 23(1), 16-23.
- Murphy EK, Tully S, Pyle M, Gumley AI, Kingdon D, Schwannauer M, Turkington D, Morrison AP. The Beliefs about Paranoia Scale: Confirmatory factor analysis and tests of a metacognitive model of paranoia in a clinical sample. Psychiatry Research 2017, 248, 87-94.
- Pyle M, Norrie J, Schwannauer M, Kingdon D, Gumley A, Turkington D, Byrne R, Syrett S, MacLennan G, Dudley R, McLeod HJ, Griffiths H, Bowe S, Barnes TRE, French P, Hutton P, Davies L, Morrison AP. Design and protocol for the Focusing on Clozapine Unresponsive Symptoms (FOCUS) trial: a randomised controlled trial. BMC Psychiatry 2016, 16, 280.
- Velligan DI, Tai S, Roberts DL, Maples-Aguilar N, Brown M, Mintz J, Turkington D. A Randomized Controlled Trial Comparing Cognitive Behavior Therapy, Cognitive Adaptation Training, Their Combination and Treatment as Usual in Chronic Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin 2015, 41(3), 597-603.
- Pyle M, Brabban A, Drage L, Spencer H, Turkington D, Morrison A. Associations between internalised stereotypes of psychosis and emotional dysfunction in people with psychosis not taking antipsychotic medication. Psychosis 2015, 7(3), 217-227.
- Turkington D, Spencer H, Jassal I, Cummings A. Cognitive behavioural therapy for the treatment of delusional systems. Psychosis: Psychological, Social and Intergrative Approaches 2015, 7(1), 48-59.
- Li ZJ, Guo ZH, Wang N, Xu ZY, Qu Y, Wang XQ, Sun J, Yan LQ, Ng RMK, Turkington D, Kingdon D. Cognitive-behavioural therapy for patients with schizophrenia: a multicentre randomized controlled trial in Beijing, China. Psychological Medicine 2015, 45(9), 1893-1905.
- Montesano VL, Sivec HJ, Munetz MR, Pelton JR, Turkington D. Adapting Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Psychosis for Case Managers: Increasing Access to Services in a Community Mental Health Agency. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal 2014, 37(1), 11-16.
- Carey TA, Mansell W, Tai SJ, Turkington D. Conflicted control systems: the neural architecture of trauma. Lancet Psychiatry 2014, 1(4), 316-318.