Dr Fei Gao
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 01912088454
Wellcome Trust Centre for Mitochondrial Research
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am a post-doctoral research associate working in Professors Robert Lightowlers and Zosia Chrzanowska-Lightowlers' lab. I am funded by the Wellcome Trust. The aim of my project is to identify the related signalling pathways of cell growth arrest caused by mitochondrial translation defects.
Mitochondria are the vital organelles containing their own genome. Dysfunctional mitochondria may be due to the defect of nuclear-encoded proteins or 13 mitochondrial-encoded proteins. Mitochondrial dysfunction causes a variety of human mitochondrial diseases. It has been found that loss of mitochondrial translation proteins cause human cell death, cell growth arrest and cell morphology changes. However, the mechanism behind is still unclear.
My project aims to find the related mitochondrial signalling molecules and pathways which monitor mitochondria quality and communicate between mitochondria and the nucleus. High-throughput screening and microarray are good tools to determine the signalling pathways in this project. The finding of this project will help us gain a better understanding of the mechanism of mitochondria disease and a potential way for the future drug design.
- Tai HR, Wang Z, Gong H, Han XJ, Zhou J, Wang XB, Wei XW, Ding Y, Huang N, Qin JQ, Zhang J, Wang S, Gao F, Chrzanowska-Lightowlers ZM, Xiang R, Xiao HY. Autophagy impairment with lysosomal and mitochondrial dysfunction is an important characteristic of oxidative stress-induced senescence. Autophagy 2017, 13(1), 99-113.
- Mavin E, Nicholson L, Amed RS, Gao F, Dickinson A, Wang Xiao-nong. Human regulatory T cells mediate transcriptional modulation of dendritic cell function. The Journal of Immunology 2017, 198(1), 138-146.
- Rozanska A, Richter-Dennerlein R, Rorbach J, Gao F, Lewis RJ, Chrzanowska-Lightowlers ZM, Lightowlers RN. The human RNA-binding protein RBFA promotes the maturation of the mitochondrial ribosome. Biochemical Journal 2017, 474(13), 2145-2158.
- Rorbach J, Gao F, Powell CA, D'Souza A, Lightowlers RN, Minczuk M, Chrzanowska-Lightowlers ZM. Human mitochondrial ribosomes can switch their structural RNA composition. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2016, 113(43), 12198-12201.