Dr Fiona LeBeau
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5729
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 5227
- Address: Institute of Neuroscience
The Medical School
Newcastle upon Tyne.
My main interests are in understanding the role of the monoamine neurotransmitter systems (noradrenaline, dopamine and serotonin) in modulating cortical neuronal activity, in particular their effects on fast network oscillations such as theta- and gamma frequency rhythms.
In my lab, and with Dr. Claudia Racca, we use in vitro electrophysiological, morphological and immunocytochemical approaches to study the monoamine neurotransmitter systems. In addition, in collaboration with other colleagues within the Institute of Neuroscience, we have recently started behavioural studies, and in vivo recording techniques, to address the role of monoamines in modulating cortical function.
We are currently working on a number of projects elucidating the role of monoamines in the hippocampus and cortex. Changes in these neurotransmitters are implicated in many diseases such as schizophrenia, Alzheimer's disease, drug addiction and depression. We are, therefore, currently also investigating changes in the monoamine systems and network oscillations in a variety of animal models of these diseases.
Past and present lab members;
Joanne Driver: Succssfully completed PhD (Leeds University)
Newcastle University Students:
Daniel Haggerty: Former PhD student
Dorcas Eden: Former PhD student
Bernadette O'Donovan Current PhD student
Claire Gillougley Current PhD student
Vasileios Glykos Current PhD student
Royal Society Research Grant
Newcastle University Studentship
Lena Teague Bequest Fund
BBSRC equipment grant
Welcome Trust PhD studentship
- Cox DJ, Racca C, LeBeau FEN. β-adrenergic receptors are differentially expressed in distinct interneuron subtypes in the rat hippocampus. Journal of Comparative Neurology 2008, 509(6), 551-565.
- Driver JE, Racca C, Cunningham MO, Towers SK, Davies CH, Whittington MA, Le Beau FEN. Impairment of hippocampal gamma (γ)-frequency oscillations in vitro in mice overexpressing human amyloid precursor protein (APP). European Journal of Neuroscience 2007, 26(5), 1280-1288.
- Bibbig A, Middleton S, Racca C, Gillies MJ, Garner H, Le Beau FEN, Davies CH, Whittington MA. Beta rhythms (15-20 Hz) generated by nonreciprocal communication in hippocampus. Journal of Neurophysiology 2007, 97(4), 2812-2823.
- Fuchs EC, Zivkovic AR, Cunningham MO, Middleton S, Le Beau FEN, Bannerman DM, Rozov A, Whittington MA, Traub RD, Rawlins JNP, Monyer H. Recruitment of Parvalbumin-Positive Interneurons Determines Hippocampal Function and Associated Behavior. Neuron 2007, 53(4), 591-604.
- Roopun AK, Middleton SJ, Cunningham MO, Le Beau FEN, Bibbig A, Whittington MA, Traub RD. A beta2-frequency (20-30 Hz) oscillation in nonsynaptic networks of somatosensory cortex. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2006, 103(42), 15646-15650.
- Cunningham MO, Hunt J, Middleton S, Le Beau FEN, Gillies MG, Davies CH, Maycox PR, Whittington MA, Racca C. Region-specific reduction in entorhinal gamma oscillations and parvalbumin-immunoreactive neurons in animal models of psychiatric illness. Journal of Neuroscience 2006, 26(10), 2767-2776.
- Traub RD, Contreras D, Cunningham MO, Murray H, Le Beau FEN, Roopun A, Bibbig A, Wilent WB, Higley MJ, Whittington MA. Single-Column Thalamocortical Network Model Exhibiting Gamma Oscillations, Sleep Spindles, and Epileptogenic Bursts. Journal of Neurophysiology 2005, 93(4), 2194-2232.
- Grillner S, Markram H, De Schutter E, Silberberg G, Le Beau FEN. Microcircuits in action - From CPGs to neocortex. Trends in Neurosciences 2005, 28(10), 525-533.
- Traub RD, Bibbig A, Le Beau FE, Cunningham MO, Whittington MA. Persistent gamma oscillations in superficial layers of rat auditory neocortex: experiment and model. Journal of Physiology 2005, 562(1), 3-8.
- Silberberg G, Grillner S, Le Beau FEN, Maex R, Markram H. Synaptic pathways in neural microcircuits. Trends in Neurosciences 2005, 28(10), 541-551.
- Traub RD, Pais I, Bibbig A, Lebeau FE, Buhl EH, Garner H, Monyer H, Whittington MA. Transient Depression of Excitatory Synapses on Interneurons Contributes to Epileptiform Bursts During Gamma Oscillations in the Mouse Hippocampal Slice. Journal of Neurophysiology 2005, 94(2), 1225-1235.
- Le Beau FEN, El Manira A, Griller S. Tuning the network: Modulation of neuronal microcircuits in the spinal cord and hippocampus. Trends in Neurosciences 2005, 28(10), 552-561.
- Cunningham MO, Whittington MA, Bibbig A, Roopun A, Le Beau FE, Vogt A, Monyer H, Buhl EH, Traub RD. A role for fast rhythmic bursting neurons in cortical gamma oscillations in vitro. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 2004, 101(18), 7152-7157.
- Traub RD, Bibbig A, Le Beau FE, Buhl EH, Whittington MA. Cellular mechanisms of neuronal population oscillations in the hippocampus in vitro. Annu. Rev. Neurosci 2004, 27(1), 247-278.
- Pais I, Hormuzdi SG, Monyer H, Traub RD, Wood IC, Buhl EH, Whittington MA, LeBeau FE. Sharp Wave-Like Activity in the Hippocampus In Vitro in Mice Lacking the Gap Junction Protein Connexin 36. Journal of Neurophysiology 2003, 89(4), 2046-2054.
- Traub RD, Pais I, Bibbig A, LeBeau FEN, Buhl EH, Hormizdi S, Monyer H, Whittington MA. Contrasting roles of axonal (pyramidal cell) and dendritic (interneuron) electrical coupling in the generation of neuronal network oscillations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2003, 100(3), 1370-1374.
- Traub RD, Cunningham MO, Gloveli T, LeBeau FE, Bibbig A, Buhl EH, Whittington MA. GABA-enhanced collective behavior in neuronal axons underlies persistent gamma-frequency oscillations. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2003, 100(19), 11047-11052.
- LeBeau FEN, Traub RD, Monyer H, Whittington MA, Buhl EH. The role of electrical signalling via gap junctions in the generation of fast network oscillations. Brain Research Bulletin 2003, 62(1), 3-13.
- Gillies MJ, Traub RD, LeBeau FEN, Davies CH, Gloveli T, Buhl EH, Whittington MA. A model of atropine-resistant theta oscillations in rat hippocampal area CA1. Journal of Physiology 2002, 543(3), 779-793.
- LeBeau FE, Towers SK, Traub RD, Whittington MA, Buhl EH. Fast network oscillations induced by potassium transients in the rat hippocampus in vitro. Journal of Physiology 2002, 542(1), 167-179.
- Whittington MA, Doheny HC, Traub RD, LeBeau FEN, Buhl EH. Differential expression of synaptic and non-synaptic mechanisms underlying stimulus-induced gamma oscillations in vitro. The Journal of Neuroscience 2001, 21(5), 1727-1738.
- Hormuzdi SG, Pais I, LeBeau FEN, Towers SK, Rozov A, Buhl EH, Whittington MA, Monyer H. Impaired Electrical Signaling Disrupts Gamma Frequency Oscillations in Connexin 36-Deficient Mice. Neuron 2001, 31(3), 487-495.
- LeBeau FEN, Malmierca MS, Rees A. Iontophoretic studies in the inferior colliculus in vivo demonstrate a key role for GABA and glycine receptor mediated inhibition in shaping frequency response areas. Journal of Neuroscience 2001, 21(18), 7303-7312.
- Glykos V, Whittington MA, LeBeau FEN. Subregional differences in the generation of fast network oscillations in the rat medial prefrontal cortex (mPFC) in vitro. The Journal of Physiology 2015, 593(16), 3597-3615.
- O'Donovan B, Shoaib M, LeBeau FEN. Acute cocaine and amphetamine modulate fast network oscillations in the prefrontal cortex in vitro. Cerebral Cortex 2013. In Preparation.
- Haggerty DC, Whittington MA, LeBeau FEN. Beta1-adrenergic receptors (Beta-AR) activation induces long-lasting enhancement of theta (4-12 Hz) frequency actvity in the hippocampus in vitro. Hippocampus 2013. Submitted.
- Haggerty DC, Glykos V, Adams NE, LeBeau FE. Bidirectional modulation of hippocampal gamma (20–80 Hz) frequency activity in vitro via alpha(α)- and beta(β)-adrenergic receptors (AR). Neuroscience 2013, 253, 142-154.
- Gillougley C, O'Donovan B, Glykos V, Whittington MA, LeBeau FEN. N-methyl-D-aspartate (NMDA)-dependent fast network oscillations in the rat prefrontal cortex in vitro. Cerebral Cortex 2013. In Preparation.
- Börgers C, Talei Franzesi G, LeBeau FEN, Boyden S, Kopell NJ. Minimal size of cell assemblies coordinated by gamma oscillations. PLoS Computational Biology 2012, 8(2), e1002362.
- Bernstein HG, Johnson M, Perry RH, LeBeau FEN, Dobrowolny H, Bogerts B, Perry EK. Partial loss of parvalbumin-containing hippocampal interneurons in dementia with Lewy bodies. Neuropathology 2011, 31(1), 1-10.
- Roopun AK, LeBeau FEN, Rammell J, Cunningham MO, Traub RD, Whittington MA. Cholinergic neuromodulation controls directed temporal communication in neocortex in vitro. Frontiers in Neural Circuits 2010, 4(1), 8.
- Towers SK, LeBeau FEN, Gloveli T, Traub RD, Whittington MA, Buhl EH. Fast network oscillations in the rat dentate gyrus in vitro. Journal of Neurophysiology 2002, 87(2), 1165-1168.
- LeBeau FEN, Towers SK, Traub RD, Whittington MA, Buhl EH. Fast network oscillations induced by potassium transients in the rat hippocampus in vitro. Journal of Physiology 2002, 542(1), 167-179.
- Traub RD, Whittington MA, Buhl EH, LeBeau FEN, Bibbig A, Boyd S, Cross H, Baldeweg T. A possible role for gap junctions in generation of very fast EEG oscillations preceding the onset of, and perhaps initiating, seizures. Epilepsia 2001, 42(2), 153-170.
- Traub RD, Kopell N, Bibbig A, Buhl EH, LeBeau FEN, Whittington MA. Gap junctions between interneuron dendrites can enhance synchrony of gamma oscillations in distributed networks. Journal of Neuroscience 2001, 21(23), 9478-9486.
- LeBeau FEN, Malmierca MS, Rees A. Iontophoresis in vivo demonstrates a key role for GABAA and glycinergic inhibition in shaping frequency response areas in the inferior colliculus of guinea pig. The Journal of Neuroscience 2001, 15, 7303-7312.