Dr Greg Elder
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)191 208 1125
- Personal Website: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Greg_Elder
- Address: Biomedical Research Building (3.15)
Institute of Neuroscience
Campus for Ageing and Vitality
I am a Post-doctoral Research Associate and Chartered Psychologist within the Institute of Neuroscience. My main research interests are in dementia with Lewy bodies, and sleep. Please see the 'Research' tab for further details.
PhD Psychology (Northumbria Centre for Sleep Research, Northumbria University, 2010-2014),
MRes Research Methods in Psychology (University of Strathclyde, 2009-2010),
MA Psychology (University of Glasgow, 2005-2009)
British Psychological Society (Chartered Psychologist; Associate Fellow); European Sleep Research Society, Sleep Research Society (USA)
I am primarily interested in whether transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS), a non-invasive technique of brain stimulation, can be used as a method of treatment for visual hallucinations within the Lewy body dementias. I am currently co-ordinating a treatment study examining this with Dr. John-Paul Taylor (IoN). I am also interested in whether tDCS can be used to improve cognitive functioning (e.g. attention and decision-making) more generally within the Lewy body dementias.
I am also interested in the effects of stress upon subjective and objective sleep, and hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis function (primarily upon the cortisol awakening response). My doctoral research examined this, using subjective and objective methods of sleep assessment, including actigraphy and polysomnography. I am also interested in sleep and circadian functioning within Lewy body dementia patient groups.
- Elder GJ, Barclay NL, Wetherell MA, Ellis JG. Anticipated next-day demand affects the magnitude of the cortisol awakening response, but not subjective or objective sleep. Journal of Sleep Research 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Elder GJ, Mactier K, Colloby SJ, Watson R, Blamire AM, O'Brien JT, Taylor J-P. The influence of hippocampal atrophy on the cognitive phenotype of dementia with Lewy bodies. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Elder GJ, Ashcroft J, da Silva Morgan K, Kulsum MU, Banerjee R, Chatterjee P, Firbank MJ, McKeith IG, Kumar H, Taylor JP. Transcranial direct current stimulation in Parkinson's disease dementia: A randomised double-blind crossover trial. Brain Stimulation 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Elder GJ, Ellis JG, Barclay NL, Wetherell MA. Assessing the daily stability of the cortisol awakening response in a controlled environment. BMC Psychology 2016, 4(3), 1-10.
- Elder GJ, Firbank MJ, Kumar H, Chatterjee P, Chakraborty T, Dutt A, Taylor J-P. Effects of transcranial direct current stimulation upon attention and visuoperceptual function in Lewy body dementia: a preliminary study. International Psychogeriatrics 2016, 28(02), 341-347.
- Cromarty RA, Elder GJ, Graziadio S, Baker M, Bonanni L, Onofrj M, O'Brien JT, Taylor J-P. Neurophysiological biomarkers for Lewy body dementias. Clinical Neurophysiology 2016, 127(1), 349-359.
- Colloby SJ, Elder GJ, Rabee R, O'Brien JT, Taylor J-P. Structural grey matter changes in the substantia innominata in Alzheimer's disease and dementia with Lewy bodies: a DARTEL-VBM study. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Elder GJ, Colloby SJ, Lett DJ, O'Brien JT, Anderson KN, Burn DJ, McKeith IG, Taylor JP. Depressive symptoms are associated with daytime sleepiness and subjective sleep quality in dementia with Lewy bodies. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 2015, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Murphy N, Killen A, Graziadio S, Peraza LR, Firbank M, Baker M, Elder G, Thomas A, McKeith I, Rochester L, Taylor J-P. Early Bottom-Up Visual Information Processing in Hallucinating Patients with Parkinson’s Disease with Dementia: A Preliminary Visual Evoked Potential Study. In: International Dementia with Lewy Bodies Conference 2015. 2015, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA: American Journal of Neurodegenerative Disease.
- Cromarty R, Graziadio S, Colloby S, Killen A, Peraza LR, Elder G, Firbank M, Thomas A, McKeith I, O'Brien J, Taylor J-P. Electrophysiological Correlates of Attentional Dysfunction in Dementia with Lewy Bodies. In: International Dementia with Lewy Bodies Conference 2015. 2015, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA: American Journal of Neurodegenerative Disease.
- Barclay NL, Elder GJ, Sharman R, Sanchez A, Ellis JG. Mechanisms underlying the association between anxiety and sleep architecture in healthy good sleepers: the role of pre-sleep arousal. In: 22nd Congress of the European Sleep Research Society. 2014, Talllinn, Estonia: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Elder GJ, Wetherell MA, Barclay NL, Ellis JG. The cortisol awakening response - applications and implications for sleep medicine. Sleep Medicine Reviews 2014, 18(3), 195-204.
- Elder GJ, Taylor J-P. Transcranial magnetic stimulation and transcranial direct current stimulation: treatments for cognitive and neuropsychiatric symptoms in the neurodegenerative dementias?. Alzheimer's Research & Therapy 2014, 6, 1-11.
- Elder GJ, Ellis JG, Wetherell MA. Associations between stages of sleep and the cortisol awakening response. In: 26th Annual Meeting of the Associated Professional Sleep Societies, LLC. 2012, Boston, USA.