Emeritus Professor Heather Ashton
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 256 3325
Emeritus Professor of Clinical Psychopharmacology
Effects of psychotropic drugs - e.g. cannabis (recreational use and
medical uses), ecstasy, benzodiazepines (prescribed use, withdrawal
methods and recreational abuse) and others: lectures to schools,
parents, other educational bodies, doctors and other professionals.
Executive Member of North East Council on Addictions (NECA). Advice and literature about drugs to British Medical Association, Department of Health, Ministry of Defence, Schools Organisations, House of Lords and House of Commons Select Committees.Numerous papers, books and chapters in books on psychotropic drugs.
Undergraduate: Honours degree in Pharmacology
- Ashton CH, Moore PB. Endocannabinoid system dysfunction in mood and related disorders. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 2011, 124(4), 250-261.
- Ashton C. Review: brief interventions, gradual dose reduction and psychological interventions increase benzodiazepine cessation compared with routine care. Evidence-Based Mental Health 2009, 12(3), 91.
- Young AH, Hughes JH, Marsh VR, Ashton CH. Acute tryptophan depletion attenuates auditory event related potentials in bipolar disorder: a preliminary study. Journal of Affective Disorders 2002, 69(1-3), 83-92.
- Ashton H. Adverse effects of cannabis. Adverse Drug Reaction Bulletin 2002, (216), 827-830.
- Ashton H. Defining the indefinable: Comments on Smith. Addiction 2002, 97(6), 756-756.
- El-Badri SM, Ashton CH, Moore PB, Marsh VR, Ferrier IN. Electrophysiological and cognitive function in young euthymic patients with bipolar affective disorder. Bipolar Disorders 2001, 3(2), 79-87.
- Ashton CH. Pharmacology and effects of cannabis: a brief review. British Journal of Psychiatry 2001, 178(2), 101-106.
- Ashton H. The psychopharmacologists III. British Journal of Psychiatry 2001, 179(3), 277-278.
- Hughes JH, Ashton CH, Matthews D, Young AH. Acute depletion of plasma tryptophan does not alter electrophysiological variables in healthy males. Psychopharmacology 2000, 152(1), 119-121.
- Holdcroft A, Ashton CH. Adverse effects of cannabis and cannabinoids (multiple letters). British Journal of Anaesthesia 2000, 84(3), 419-420.
- Ashton CH. Atlas of psychiatric pharmacotherapy. British Journal of Psychiatry 2000, 176, 603-603.
- Young AH, Hughes JH, Ashton CH. Brain 5-HT function in bipolar affective disorder. Acta Neuropsychiatrica 2000, 12(3), 91-95.
- Ashton CH, Lunn B, Marsh VR, Young AH. Subchronic hydrocortisone treatment alters auditory evoked potentials in normal subjects. Psychopharmacology 2000, 152(1), 87-92.
- Walker MP, Ayre GA, Ashton CH, Marsh VR, Wesnes K, Perry EK, O'Brien JT, McKeith IG, Ballard CG. A psychophysiological investigation of fluctuating consciousness in neurodegenerative dementias. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental 1999, 14(7), 483-489.
- Ashton CH. Adverse effects of cannabis and cannabinoids. British Journal of Anaesthesia 1999, 83(4), 637-649.
- Porter RJ, Ferrier IN, Ashton CH. Anticonvulsants as mood stabilisers. Advances in Psychiatric Treatment 1999, 5(22), 96-103.
- Ashton CH. Biomedical benefits of cannabinoids?. Addiction Biology 1999, 4(2), 111-126.