Dr Helen Bosomworth
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 6322
- Address: Stroke Research Group
Institute of Neuroscience and
Newcastle University Institute for Ageing
3-4 Claremont Terrace
Newcastle upon Tyne
I was awarded my Degree in Biochemistry from the University of Leeds in 2007. After a little time in industry I returned to university in 2008 to study towards my MRes in Medical and Molecular Biosciences specialising in Neuroscience at Newcastle University. From this I progressed to a PhD in Molecular Biology which was awarded in 2012. My PhD harnessed my interests in molecular biology and neuroscience. I order to learn more about the translational pathway of research I joined the Stroke Research Group in 2012 as a Research Associate. Currently I am working on a large NIHR HTA funded multicentre randomised controlled trial: Robot Assisted Training for the Upper Limb after Stroke (RATULS) (http://research.ncl.ac.uk/ratuls/).
Postgraduate Certificate in Clinical Research Newcastle University 2013
PhD Newcastle University 2012
MRes (Distinction) Newcastle University 2009
BSc (Hons) University of Leeds 2007
I am currently a Research Associate on a NIHR HTA funded multicentre randomised controlled trial: Robot Assisted Training for the Upper Limb after Stroke (RATULS).
Loss of arm function is a common and distressing consequence of stroke. Currently it is unclear how best to provide therapy to improve arm recovery. Research suggests that robot assisted training may be beneficial but this is not yet proven and further research is needed. Robot assisted training consists of the use of a machine or ‘robot’ to exercise the arm.
This research study is a three group multicentre randomised controlled trial to determine whether robot assisted training improves upper limb function after stroke. Robot assisted training will be compared to i) an enhanced upper limb therapy programme consisting of repeated practice of everyday activities using the arm and ii) usual NHS rehabilitation. Stroke patients with reduced arm function who wish to take part in the trial will be randomly assigned to either robot assisted training, enhanced upper limb therapy or usual NHS rehabilitation.
The effectiveness of robot assisted training will be evaluated by comparing the upper limb function of patients in each randomisation group at 3 and 6 months. The study will run for 57 months and aims to recruit 720 stroke patients.
For further information about this trial please visit our trial website:
- Bosomworth HJ, Adlard PA, Ford D, Valentine RA. Altered Expression of ZnT10 in Alzheimer's Disease Brain. PLoS One 2013, 8(5), e65475.
- Ions LJ, Wakeling LA, Bosomworth HJ, Hardyman JEJ, Escolme SM, Swan DC, Valentine RA, Mathers JC, Ford D. Effects of Sirt1 on DNA methylation and expression of genes affected by dietary restriction. Age 2013, 35(5), 1835-1849.
- Bosomworth HJ, Thornton JK, Coneyworth LJ, Ford D, Valentine RA. Efflux function, tissue-specific expression and intracellular trafficking of the Zn transporter ZnT10 indicate roles in adult Zn homeostasis. Metallomics 2012, 4(8), 771-779.
- Gemmell E, Bosomworth H, Allan L, Hall R, Khundakar A, Oakley AE, Deramecourt V, Polvikoski TM, O'Brien JT, Kalaria RN. Hippocampal Neuronal Atrophy and Cognitive Function in Delayed Poststroke and Aging-Related Dementias. Stroke 2012, 43(3), 808-814.
- Coneyworth LJ, Jackson KA, Tyson J, Bosomworth HJ, vanderHagen E, Hann GM, Ogo OA, Swann DC, Mathers JC, Valentine RA, Ford D. Identification of the human zinc transcriptional regulatory element (ZTRE): a palindromic protein-binding DNA sequence responsible for zinc-induced transcriptional repression. Journal of Biological Chemistry 2012, 287(43), 36567-36581.
- Nunez CMC, Bosomworth HJ, Field C, Whitworth JM, Valentine RA. Biodentine and Mineral Trioxide Aggregate Induce Similar Cellular Responses in a Fibroblast Cell Line. Journal of Endodontics 2014, 40(3), 406-411.
- Rodgers H, Shaw L, Bosomworth H, Aird L, Alvarado N, Andole S, Cohen DL, Dawson J, Eyre J, Finch T, Ford GA, Hislop J, Hogg S, Howel D, Hughes N, Krebs HI, Price C, Rochester L, Stamp E, Ternent L, Turner D, Vale L, Warburton E, van Wijck F, Wilkes S. Robot Assisted Training for the Upper Limb after Stroke (RATULS): study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials 2017, 18(1), 340.
- Bosomworth H, Aird L, Andole S, Cohen D, Dawson J, Eyre J, Finch T, Ford G, Hogg S, Howel D, Hughes N, Krebs H, Price C, Rochester L, Shaw L, Ternent L, Turner D, Vale L, vanWijck F, Wilkes S, Rodgers H. Robot Assisted Training for the Upper Limb after Stroke (RATULS). In: European Stroke Organisation Annual Conference 2015. 2015, Glasgow, UK: International Journal of Stroke.
- Bosomworth H, Aird L, Andole S, Dawson J, Eyre J, Finch T, Ford G, Hogg S, Howel D, Hughes N, Krebs H, Price C, Rochester L, Shaw L, Ternent L, Turner D, Vale L, vanWijck F, Warbuton E, Wilkes S, Rodgers H. Robot Assisted Training for the Upper Limb after Stroke (RATULS). In: Technically Assisted Rehabilitation. 2015, Berlin, Germany.
- Bosomworth H, Shaw L, Rodgers H. Robot Assisted Training for the Upper Limb after Stroke (RATULS). In: The European Stroke Organisation Annual Conference. 2015, Glasgow, UK: Sage.