Professor Helen McConachie
Strategic Research Adviser
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0)191 282 1396 / 219 6420
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 282 4725
- Address: Institute of Health and Society
University of Newcastle
Sir James Spence Institute
Royal Victoria Infirmary
Newcastle NE1 4LP
My research to date has focussed mainly on children with disabilities and their families. In several projects we have evaluated approaches to intervention for children, and reviewed or developed appropriate outcome measures. I am also concerned to understand what underpins behaviours: for example, how parent-child interaction can facilitate development of communication skills; and how neuropsychological processes link to repetitive behaviours and anxiety in ASD. (See Autism research website www.ncl.ac.uk/cargo-ne/). More recently I am co-leading projects which involve adults on the autism spectrum, including adaptation of a quality of life outcome measure.
I have a long-standing research and training link with a network of child development centres in Bangladesh.
I direct Daslne: the database of children with ASD living in the North East of England (www.ncl.ac.uk/daslne) and co-lead ASD-UK, a national family research database (http://asd-uk.com/).
Current and Recent
Measuring quality of life in adults on the autism spectrum: making a questionnaire fit for purpose. Research Autism, April 2016-March 2017. £50,130 Adaptation and validation of quality of life measure. Role: PI.
The Paediatric Autism Communication Trial - Generalised (PACT-G). EME, February 2016- August 2019 £1,949,200 Multi-site randomised control trial of social-communication intervention for children with autism. Role: Co-I.
A feasibility study of using an immersive virtual reality environment to reduce anxiety in children with autism spectrum disorder. NIHR Research for Patient Benefit, Feb 2015 – Nov 2016. £191,581. Feasibility and pilot RCT of treatment for anxiety in ASD. Role: Co-I.
Randomised controlled trial of improvisational music therapy for children with autism spectrum disorders: UK arm of the TIME-A study. 2014-2016. NIHR Health Technology Assessment £617,573. UK arm of international trial of music therapy. Role: Co-I.
Learning about the lives of adults on the autism spectrum and their relatives. Autistica. March 2014- Feb 2017. £199,976 Establishment of a cohort of autistic adults for longitudinal study. Role: Co-I.
DIADS - Diagnostic Instruments for Autism in Deafness Study. MRC June 2013- Dec 2016 £472,678 To develop and validate assessment tools for individuals with hearing impairment. Role: Co-I.
How can health services contribute most effectively to facilitating successful transition of young people with complex health needs from childhood to adulthood? NIHR Programme Grant, Jan 2012- Dec 2016 £1, 999, 697 To monitor transition of young people, including ASD, to adult services. Role: Co-I.
Establishing an ASD Research Register through UK paediatricians. Autistica 2010-Sept 2017 £370,334 To set up a national ASD Family Research database. Role: Co-PI.
Establishing a registry of children with autistic spectrum disorder in Northeast England. Northern Rock Foundation, 2002-17; six local authorities; Autistica; The Children’s Foundation. Database for representative recruitment of children to research studies. Role: PI.MeASURe: Measurement in autism spectrum disorder under review. NIHR HTA, June 2012 – February 2014. £271,946. To review systematically outcome measures suitable for young children with ASD. Role: PI.
Pre-school autism intervention and autism development: a longitudinal follow up of the Preschool Autism Communication Trial (PACT) MRC Feb 2013 - Sep 2014. £680,000 To test hypotheses about development over time in a well-described cohort of children. Role: Co-I.
- Salomone E, Charman T, McConachie H, Warreyn P. Child's verbal ability and gender are associated with age at diagnosis in a sample of young children with ASD in Europe. Child: Care, Health and Development 2016, 42(1), 141-145.
- Fletcher-Watson S, Pain H, Hammond S, Humphry A, McConachie H. Designing for young children with autism spectrum disorder: A case study of an iPad app. International Journal of Child-Computer Interaction 2016, epub ahead of print.
- Rodgers J, Wigham S, McConachie H, Freeston M, Honey E, Parr JR. Development of the Anxiety Scale for Children with autism spectrum disorder (ASC-ASD) Autism Research. Autism Research 2016, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Brett D, Warnell F, McConachie H, Parr JR. Factors Affecting Age at ASD Diagnosis in UK: No Evidence that Diagnosis Age has Decreased Between 2004 and 2014. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2016, 46(6), 1974-1984.
- Rankin J, Glinianaia SV, Jardine J, McConachie H, Borrill H, Embleton ND. Measuring self-reported quality of life in 8- to 11- year old children born with gastroschisis: is the KIDSCREEN questionnaire acceptable?. Birth Defect Research Part A: Clinical and Molecular Teratology 2016, 106(4), 250-256.
- Nordahl-Hansen A, Fletcher-Watson S, McConachie H, Kaale A. Relations between specific and global outcome measures in a social-communication intervention for children with autism spectrum disorder. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders 2016, 29-30, 19-29.
- Salomone E, Beranova S, Bonnet-Brilhault F, Lauritsen MB, Budisteanu M, Buitelaar J, Canal-Bedia R, Felhosi G, Fletcher-Watson S, Freitag C, Fuentes J, Gallagher L, Primo PG, Gliga F, Gomot M, Green J, Heimann M, Jonsdottir SL, Kaale A, Kawa R, Kylliainen A, Lemcke S, Markovska-Simoska S, Marschik PB, McConachie H, Moilanen I, Muratori F, Narzisi A, Noterdaeme M, Oliveira G, Oosterling I, Pijl M, Pop-Jordanova N, Poustka L, Roeyers H, Roge B, Sinzig J, Vicente A, Warreyn P, Charman T. Use of early intervention for young children with autism spectrum disorder across Europe. Autism 2016, 20(2), 233-249.
- Muslima H, Khan NZ, Shilpi AB, Begum D, Parveen M, McConachie H, Darmstadt GL. Validation of a rapid neurodevelopmental assessment tool for 10- to 16-year-old young adolescents in Bangladesh. Child: Care, Health and Development 2016, Epub ahead of print.
- Fletcher-Watson S, Petrou AM, Dicks P, Graham C, OHare A, Pain H, McConachie H. A trial of an iPad™ intervention targeting social communication skills in children with autism. Autism: International Journal of Research and Practice 2015, epub ahead of print.
- McConachie H, Fletcher-Watson S, COST Action 'Enhancing Sci Study. Building capacity for rigorous controlled trials in autism: the importance of measuring treatment adherence. Child: Care, Health and Development 2015, 41(2), 169-177.
- Merrick H, McConachie H, LeCouteur A, Mann K, Parr JR, Pearce MS, Colver A. Characteristics of young people with long term conditions close to transfer to adult health services. BMC Health Services Research 2015, 15, 435.
- Byford S, Cary M, Barrett B, Aldred CA, Charman T, Howlin P, Hudry K, Leadbitter K, Le Couteur A, McConachie H, Pickles A, Slonims V, Temple KJ, Green J, and the PACT Consortium. Cost-effectiveness analysis of a communication-focused therapy for pre-school children with autism: results from a randomised controlled trial. BMC Psychiatry 2015, 15, 316.
- Warnell F, George B, McConachie H, Johnson M, Hardy R, Parr JR. Designing and recruiting to UK autism spectrum disorder research databases: do they include representative children with valid ASD diagnoses?. BMJ Open 2015, 5(9), e008625.
- Wood CL, Warnell F, Johnson M, Hames A, Pearce MS, McConachie H, Parr JR. Evidence for ASD Recurrence Rates and Reproductive Stoppage From Large UK ASD Research Family Databases. Autism Research 2015, 8(1), 73-81.
- Grahame V, Brett D, Dixon L, McConachie H, Lowry J, Rodgers J, Steen N, Le Couteur AS. Managing Repetitive Behaviours in Young Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD): Pilot Randomised Controlled Trial of a New Parent Group Intervention. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2015, 45(10), 3168-3182.
- Parr J, Gray L, Wigham S, McConachie H, LeCouteur A. Measuring the relationship between the parental Broader Autism Phenotype, parent–child interaction, and children’s progress following parent mediated intervention. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders 2015, 20, 24-30.
- Harrop C, LeCouteur A, Howlin P, Slonims V, Green J, Pickles A, McConachie H, Aldred C, Barrett B, Byford S, Charman T, Hudry K. Play complexity and toy engagement in preschoolers with autism spectrum disorder: Do girls and boys differ?. Autism 2015, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Salomone E, Charman T, McConachie H, Warreyn P. Prevalence and correlates of use of complementary and alternative medicine in children with autism spectrum disorder in Europe. European Journal of Pediatrics 2015, 174(10), 1277-1285.
- Hanratty J, Livingston N, Robalino S, Terwee CB, Glod M, Oono IP, Rodgers J, MacDonald G, McConachie H. Systematic review of the measurement properties of tools used to measure behaviour problems in young children with autism. PLoS ONE 2015, 10(12), e0144649.
- Fletcher-Watson S, McConachie H. The Search for an Early Intervention Outcome Measurement Tool in Autism. Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities 2015, epub ahead of print.
- Pickles A, Harris V, Green J, Aldred C, McConachie H, Slonims V, LeCouteur A, Hudry K, Charman T. Treatment Mechanism in the MRC Pre-School Autism Communications Trial Implications for study design and parent-focussed therapy for children. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 2015, 56(2), 162-170.
- Gray L, Gibbs J, Jolleff N, Williams J, McConachie H, Parr JR. Variable implementation of good practice recommendations for the assessment and management of UK children with neurodisability. Child: Care, Health and Development 2015, 41(6), 938-946.
- Byford S, Cary M, Barrett B, Aldred CA, Charman T, Howlin P, Hudry K, Leadbitter K, LeCouteur A, McConachie H, Pickles A, Slonims V, Temple KJ, Green J. Cost-effectiveness analysis of a communication-focussed therapy for pre-school children with autism. BMS Psychiatry 2014.
- South M, Chamberlain PD, Wigham S, Newton T, Le Couteur A, McConachie H, Gray L, Freeston M, Parr J, Kirwan CB, Rodgers J. Enhanced decision making and risk avoidance in high-functioning autism spectrum disorder. Neuropsychology 2014, 28(2), 222-228.
- McConachie H, McLaughlin E, Grahame V, Taylor H, Honey E, Tavernor L, Rodgers J, Freeston M, Hemm C, Steen N, Le Couteur A. Group therapy for anxiety in children with autism spectrum disorder. Autism 2014, 18(6), 723-732.
- Fletcher-Watson S, McConnell F, Manola E, McConachie H. Interventions based on the Theory of Mind cognitive model for autism spectrum disorder (ASD). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2014, (3), CD008785.
- Winburn E, Charlton J, McConachie H, McColl E, Parr J, O'Hare A, Baird G, Gringras P, Wilson DC, Adamson A, Adams S, Le Couteur A. Parents' and Child Health Professionals' Attitudes Towards Dietary Interventions for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2014, 44(4), 747-757.
- Maskey M, Lowry J, Rodgers J, McConachie H, Parr J. Reducing specific phobia/fear in young people with autism spectrum disorders (ASDs) through a virtual reality environment intervention. PLoS ONE 2014, 9(7), e100374.
- Lidstone J, Uljarevic M, Sullivan J, Rodgers J, McConachie H, Freeston M, Le Couteur A, Prior M, Leekam S. Relations among restricted and repetitive behaviours, anxiety and sensory features in children with autism spectrum disorders. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders 2014, 8(2), 82-92.
- Harrop C, McConachie H, Emsley R, Leadbitter K, Green J. Restricted and repetitive behaviors in autism spectrum disorders and typical development: Cross-sectional and longitudinal comparisons. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2014, 44(5), 1207-1219.
- Jardine J, Glinianaia SV, McConachie H, Embleton ND, Rankin J. Self-Reported Quality of Life of Young Children With Conditions From Early Infancy: A Systematic Review. Pediatrics 2014, 134(4), e1129-e1148.
- Wigham S, McConachie H. Systematic review of the properties of tools used to measure outcomes in anxiety intervention studies for children with autism spectrum disorders. PLoS ONE 2014, 9(1), e85268.
- Wigham S, Rodgers J, South M, McConachie H, Freeston M. The interplay between sensory processing abnormalities, intolerance of uncertainty, anxiety and restricted and repetitive behaviours in Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2014, 45(4), 943-952.
- Khan NZ, Muslima H, El Arifeen S, McConachie H, Shilpi A, Ferdous S, Damrstadt GL. Validation of a Rapid Neurodevelopmental Assessment tool for 5 to 9 year old children in Bangladesh. Journal of Pediatrics 2014, 164(5), 1165-1170.e6.
- Maskey M, Warnell F, Parr J, LeCouteur A, McConachie H. Emotional and Behavioural Problems in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2013, 43(4), 851-859.
- Garralda ME, McConachie H, Le Couteur A, Sriranjan S, Chakrabarti I, Cirak S, Guglieri M, Bushby K, Muntoni F. Emotional impact of genetic trials in progressive paediatric disorders: a dose-ranging exon-skipping trial in Duchenne muscular dystrophy. Child: Care, Health and Development 2013, 39(3), 449-455.
- Tavernor L, Barron E, Rodgers J, McConachie H. Finding out what matters: Validity of quality of life measurement in young people with ASD. Child: Care, Health and Development 2013, 39(4), 592-601.
- Oono IP, Honey EJ, McConachie H. Parent-mediated early intervention for young children with autism spectrum disorders. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2013, 2013(4), CD009774.
- Hudry K, Aldred C, Wigham S, Green J, Leadbitter K, Temple K, Barlow K, McConachie H, the PACT Consortium. Predictors of parent-child interaction style in dyads with autism. Research in Developmental Disabilities 2013, 34(10), 3400-3410.
- Colver AF, Merrick H, Deverill M, Lecouteur A, Parr J, Pearce MS, Rapley T, Vale L, Watson R, McConachie H, on behalf of the Transition Collaborative Group. Study protocol: longitudinal study of the transition of young people with complex health needs from child to adult health services. BMC Public Health 2013, 13(1), 675.
- Parr J, Jolleff N, Gray L, Gibbs J, Williams J, McConachie H. Twenty years of research shows UK child development team provision still varies widely for children with disability. Child: Care, Health and Development 2013, 39(6), 903-907.
- Khan NZ, Muslima H, Begum A, Begum D, Akhtar S, Parveen M, Ferdous S, McConachie H, Darmstadt GL. Validation of a home-based neurodevelopmental screening tool for under 2-year-old children in Bangladesh. Child: Care, Health and Development 2013, 39(5), 643-650.
- Aldred CR, Green J, Emsley R, McConachie H. Brief report: Mediation of treatment effect in a communication intervention for pre-school children with autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2012, 42(3), 447-454.
- Honey E, Rodgers J, McConachie H. Measurement of restricted and repetitive behaviour in children with autism spectrum disorder: Selecting a questionnaire or interview. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders 2012, 6(2), 757-776.
- McConachie H. Pioneers of service development for children with intellectual disability. Child: Care, Health and Development 2012, 38(6), 761-762.
- Barrett B, Byford S, Sharach J, Hudry K, Leadbitter K, Temple K, Aldred C, Slonims V, Green J, PACT Consortium, (incl. Cutress A), (incl. Leach S), (incl. Le Couteur A), (incl. McConachie H). Service and wider societal costs of very young children with autism in the UK. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disabilities 2012, 42(5), 797-804.
- Rodgers J, Glod M, Connolly B, McConachie H. The relationship between anxiety and repetitive behaviours in Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2012, 42(11), 2404-2409.
- Wigham S, McConachie H, Tandos J, Le Couteur A, Gateshead Millennium Study core team. The reliability and validity of the Social Responsiveness Scale in a UK general child population. Research in Developmental Disabilities 2012, 33(3), 944-950.
- Iao LS, Leekam S, Perner J, McConachie H. Further Evidence for Nonspecificity of Theory of Mind in Preschoolers: Training and Transferability in the Understanding of False Beliefs and False Signs. Journal of Cognition and Development 2011, 12(1), 56-79.
- Honey E, McConachie H, Turner M, Rodgers J. Validation of the Repetitive Behaviour Questionnaire for use with Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders 2011, 6(1), 355-364.