Dr Kirsten Brandt
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 5852
- Address: Room 2.055
Institute of Cellular Medicine
William Leech Building
Newcastle upon Tyne
My research focuses on links between food quality, health of humans and animals, agricultural methods and plant chemistry.
In particular I am interested in the multidisciplinary aspects, where information from one subject area can be used to improve the understanding of processes and mechanisms in another area. Originally I was trained in plant biochemistry, but today most of my research and teaching relates to human health, food quality or food security.
Google Scholar profile (List of all publications, citations etc.)
Roles and Responsibilities
An important part of my work is to coordinate efforts to increase the impact and application of Food Science and Nutrition at Newcastle University, linking a range of research groups with specialised expertise in food related areas, such as human nutrition, consumer science, clinical research, agronomy and horticulture. In 2013 this resulted in the establishment of the NU-Food Food & Consumer Research Facility.
A particular priority area is human intervention trials to establish cause and effect information regarding the effect of foods and food supplements on human health.
The objectives are to enhance the impact and exploitation of the research and training activities in industry and society and to facilitate the creation and success of multidisciplinary research projects.
Until the end of 2003 I worked as senior scientist in the Danish Institute of Agricultural Sciences, where I initiated several multi-disciplinary research programmes in the areas mentioned above.
Links between food quality, health of humans and animals, agricultural methods and plant chemistry,, in particular:
Research methods to definitively establish cause and effect documentation for foods or food supplements in relation to human health.
Effects of plant secondary metabolites (natural pesticides) on humans, in order to improve the beneficial impact of vegetables and other herbs on human health.
Plant adaptation to low-input conditions regarding product quality and susceptibility to pests and diseases, in order to improve the balance of environmental and economic sustainability in agriculture and horticulture.
The feedback mechanisms (conditioned taste aversion, nutrient sensing) that ensure innate preference for nutritious, non-toxic food, dependent on the present needs, in humans and other animals.
I am involved in several publicly or commercially funded human intervention studies to investigate a wide range of different potential health outcomes caused by specific foods or diets.
The human trials are carried out using the University's state of the art facilities including the NU-Food Food and Consumer Research Facility, the Clinical Research Facility and the Clinical Ageing Research Unit. Each intervention trial is done in collaboration with the most relevant and qualified clinical specialists and statisticians to ensure the stringent quality standards as well as efficient and cost-effective delivery.
NU-Food (http://www.ncl.ac.uk/afrd/nufood/) is a new facility for food and consumer research, which comprises facilities for food production, sensory testing and food-related training activities, as well as facilities specifically designed for food related trials with
healthy volunteers. NU-Food was established in 2012 and launched in June 2013, and the facilities are available for both internal University users and external users from Industry or the general Community.
Ongoing PhD projects:
Mr Mohammed Almqbel, 'Effects of carrot feeding on tumours in APCMin mice'. Co-supervisor Prof Chris Seal. Funded by Saudi Arabian Government Scholarship.
Miss Sarah Warner, 'The consumption of carrots and other polyacetylene-rich vegetables on the effect on biomarkers of cancer risk'. Co-supervisor Prof Chris Seal. Funded by AHDB, the Agriculture and Horticulture Development Board.
Completed PhD projects:
Dr Othman Qadir, 'Growth of lettuce with different content of inorganic nitrate as a feeding strategy for placebo-controlled nutritional interventions to test the effect of inorganic nitrate on human health'. Co-supervisor Dr Mario Siervo. Funded by the Iraqi Government. Awarded 2017.
Dr Humphrey Garti, 'Effects of carrot consumption on intestinal cancer risk'. Co-supervisors Dr Georg Lietz and Dr Jill McKay. Funded by the Ghanaian 'GET-Fund'. Awarded 2016.
Dr Rosemary Dew, 'Improvement of Product Quality and Shelf Life of Fruit by Optimisation of Conditions during Transport and Storage'. Co-supervisor Prof Chris Seal. Funded by a donation from ASDA plc. Awarded 2016.
Dr Huda Saleh, 'Effect of carrot feeding to APCMin mouse on intestinal tumours'. Main supervisor Dr Michael Carroll. Libyan Government funded. Awarded 2015.
Dr Safiya Mohammed Othoman, 'Amendments using silicate minerals and rocks as potassium fertilisers for plant nutrition in sandy soil'. Co-supervisors Prof David Manning and Dr Neil Gray. Libyan Government funded. Awarded 2015.
Dr Najia Shwerif, 'Effects of temperature regimes under low light conditions on growth rate and phytochemical composition of lettuce and carrot plants'. Co-supervisors Dr Ed Okello and Dr Stephen Wilcockson. Libyan Government funded. Awarded 2014.
Dr Salah Al-Hebeil, 'Quantification of bread crust crispness including the effects of selected additives'. Co-supervisor Prof Chris Seal. Libyan Government funded. Awarded 2013.
Dr Graciela Donald (née Silva Rocha), 'Evaluation of the Antinociceptive Properties of Hyptis crenata Pohl (Brazilian Mint)'. Co-supervisor Prof Colin Ingram. Alban scholarship. Awarded 2013.
Dr Dimitra Chormova, 'Effect of sustainable fertigation on greenhouse tomatoes in relation to plant growth, yield and fruit quality'. Co-supervisors Dr Ed Okello and Dr Robert Shiel. Greek Government scholarship. Awarded 2010.
Dr Ahlam Rashed, 'Variation of bioactive constituents, sensory qualities and yield in carrots grown with different types of crop management'. Co-supervisors Dr Julia Cooper and Prof Carlo Leifert. Libyan Government funded. Awarded 2009.
Ongoing MPhil projects:
Ms Katie Harrison: 'Development of enriched foods to enhance flavour-nutrient learning'.
Ms Ailsa Marsh: 'Exploring Flavour-Nutrient Learning by Investigating the Sensory Effect of Selenium-Enriched Parsnips'. Co-supervisor Paul Brereton.
Completed MPhil projects:
Miss Amy Bilton, 'Elucidating the biological mode of action of the Citrox plant protection product using optimised laboratory testing'. Co-supervisors Karl Christensen and Ed Okello. Awarded 2011.
Mr Taro Murao, 'Effect of Soil Characteristics and Nitrogen Levels on Relative Competitive Ability of the Wheat and Chenopodium album'. Co-supervisor Carlo Leifert. Awarded 2007.Patents
Larsen, E, Kharazmi, A, Christensen SB, Christensen LP & Brandt, K (2006). Use of glycosides of mono- and diacylglycerol as anti-inflammatory agents. US patent 7,084,122 B2
Degree Programme Director for Food & Human Nutrition BSc Honours B4D6
ACE2056 Food Science and Technology ML
ACE3073 Advanced Food Science ML
ACE1018 Introductory Nutrition & Food Science
ACE3054 Plants as Food ML
ACE8051 Functional Foods in Nutrition and Health ML
ACE8051 Production of Herbal Medicines and Functional Foods
ACE8010 Understanding Plants as Food
Issues in Organic Farming (distance taught module in the PG degree in organic farming at SAC Aberdeen).
- Warner S, Seal C, Haldar S, Stewart G, Brandt K. A project to investigate the effects of carrot and other polyacetylene-rich vegetable consumption on biomarkers of chronic disease risk. In: International Symposium on Carrot and Other Apiaceae. 2017, Angers, France: International Society for Horticultural Science.
- Qadir O, Siervo M, Seal CJ, Brandt K. Manipulation of contents of nitrate, phenolic acids, chlorophylls and carotenoids in lettuce (Lactuca sativa L.) via contrasting responses to nitrogen fertilizer when grown in a controlled environment. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Verlaan S, Maier AB, Bauer JM, Bautmans I, Brandt K, Donini LM, Maggio M, McMurdo MET, Mets T, Seal CJ, Wijers SLJ, Sieber C, Boirie Y, Cederholm T. Sufficient levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D and protein intake required to increase muscle mass in sarcopenic older adults - The PROVIDE study. Clinical Nutrition 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Manning DAC, Baptista J, Sanchez Limon M, Brandt K. Testing the ability of plants to access potassium from framework silicate minerals. Science of the Total Environment 2017, 574, 476-481.
- Dew R, Seal CJ, Brandt K. Effects of temperature conditions during transport and storage on tomato fruit quality. In: XXIX International Horticultural Congress on Horticulture: Sustaining Lives, Livelihoods and Landscapes (IHC2014): International Symposia on Postharvest Knowledge for the Future and Consumer and Sensory Driven Improvements to Fruits and Nuts. 2016, Brisbane, Australia: International Society for Horticultural Science.
- Lake AA, Smith SA, Bryant CE, Alinia S, Brandt K, Seal CJ, Tetens I. Exploring the dynamics of a free fruit at work intervention. BMC Public Health 2016, 16, 839.
- Ashor AW, Chowdhury S, Oggioni C, Qadir O, Brandt K, Ishaq A, Mathers JC, Saretzki G, Siervo M. Inorganic Nitrate Supplementation in Young and Old Obese Adults Does Not Affect Acute Glucose and Insulin Responses but Lowers Oxidative Stress. Journal of Nutrition 2016, 146(11), 2224-2232.
- Brandt K. Vegetables and Fruit in the Prevention of Chronic Age-Related Diseases. In: Malavolta, M; Mocchegiano, E, ed. Molecular Basis of Nutrition and Aging: A Volume in the Molecular Nutrition Series. London, UK: Elsevier Inc, 2016, pp.707-722.
- Siervo M, Lara J, Jajja A, Sutyarjoko A, Ashor AW, Brandt K, Qadir O, Mathers JC, Benjamin N, Winyard PG, Anning C, Shore A, Gilchrist M. Ageing modifies the effects of beetroot juice supplementation on 24-hour blood pressure variability: An individual participant meta-analysis. Nitric Oxide 2015, 47, 97-105.
- Bauer JM, Verlaan S, Bautmans I, Brandt K, Donini LM, Maggio M, McMurdo MET, Mets T, Seal C, Wijers SL, Ceda GP, DeVito G, Donders G, Drey M, Greig C, Holmbäck U, Narici M, McPhee J, Poggiogalle E, Power D, Scafoglieri A, Schultz R, Sieber CC, Cederholm T. Effects of a Vitamin D and Leucine-Enriched Whey Protein Nutritional Supplement on Measures of Sarcopenia in Older Adults, the PROVIDE Study: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association 2015, 16(9), 740-747.
- Jajja A, Sutyarjoko A, Lara J, Clio O, Rennie K, Brandt K, Qadir O, Siervo M. Effects of beetroot juice on daily and 24-hour ambulatory blood pressure monitoring in older overweight and obese subjects. In: Proceedings of the Nutrition Society: Summer Meeting 2014. 2015, Cambridge University Press.
- Ashor AW, Jajja A, Sutyarjoko A, Brandt K, Qadir O, Lara J, Siervo M. Effects of beetroot juice supplementation on microvascular blood flow in older overweight and obese subjects: a pilot randomised controlled study. Journal of Human Hypertension 2015, 29(8), 511-513.
- Lara J, Ogbonmwan I, Oggioni C, Zheng DC, Qadir O, Ashor A, Brandt K, Mathers JC, Siervo M. Effects of handgrip exercise or inorganic nitrate supplementation on 24-h ambulatory blood pressure and peripheral arterial function in overweight and obese middle age and older adults: A pilot RCT. Maturitas 2015, 82(2), 228-235.
- Øvsthus I, Breland TA, Hagen S, Brandt K, Wold A-B, Bengtsson GB, Seljåsen R. Effects of organic and waste-derived fertilizers on yield, nitrogen and glucosinolate contents, and sensory quality of broccoli (Brassica oleracea L. var. italica). Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2015, 63(50), 10757–10767.
- Dew R, Brandt K, Seal CJ. Improvement of tomato product quality by changing temperature conditions during the first 11 days after harvest. In: 6th International Conference on Managing Quality in Chains. 2015, Cranfield, UK: International Society for Horticultural Science.
- Jajja A, Sutyarjoko A, Lara J, Rennie K, Brandt K, Qadir OK, Siervo M. Beetroot supplementation lowers daily systolic blood pressure in older, overweight subjects. Nutrition Research 2014, 34(10), 868-875.
- Mohammed SMO, Brandt K, Gray ND, White ML, Manning DAC. Comparison of silicate minerals as sources of potassium for plant nutrition in sandy soil. European Journal of Soil Science 2014, 65(5), 653-662.
- Wootton-Beard PC, Brandt K, Fell D, Warner S, Ryan L. Effects of a beetroot juice with high neobetanin content on the early-phase insulin response in healthy volunteers. Journal of Nutritional Science 2014, 3, e9.
- Brandt CJ, Brandt V, Pedersen M, Glintborg D, Toubro S, Nielsen JB, Eisenbach G, Brandt K, Søndergaard J. Long-Term Effect of Interactive Online Dietician Weight Loss Advice in General Practice (LIVA) Protocol for a Randomized Controlled Trial. International Journal of Family Medicine 2014, 2014(2014), 245347.
- Rocha GS, Roughan J, Leach M, Flecknell P, Ingram CD, Brandt K. Antinociceptive Activities of Hyptis crenata Pohl. In: II International Symposium on Medicinal and Nutraceutical Plants. 2013, New Delhi, India: International Society for Horticultural Science.
- Brandt K. Are Organic Foods Safer or Healthier?. Annals of Internal Medicine 2013, 158(4), 295-295.
- Lloyd AJ, Beckmann M, Haldar S, Seal C, Brandt K, Draper J. Data-driven strategy for the discovery of potential urinary biomarkers of habitual dietary exposure. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2013, 97(2), 377-389.
- Beckmann M, Lloyd AJ, Haldar S, Fave G, Seal CJ, Brandt K, Mathers JC, Draper J. Dietary exposure biomarker-lead discovery based on metabolomics analysis of urine samples. In: Nutrition Society Irish Section Meeting. 2013, Belfast, Ireland: Cambridge University Press.
- Saleh H, Garti H, Carroll M, Brandt K. Effect of carrot feeding to APCMin mouse on intestinal tumours. In: Nutrition Society Annual Summer Meeting. 2013, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- Beckmann M, Lloyd AJ, Haldar S, Seal CJ, Brandt K, Draper J. Hydroxylated phenylacetamides derived from bioactive benzoxazinoids are bioavailable in humans after habitual consumption of whole grain sourdough rye bread. Molecular Nutrition & Food Research 2013, 57(10), 1859-1873.
- Brandt K, Srednicka-Tober D, Baranski M, Sanderson R, Leifert C, Seal CJ. Methods for Comparing Data across Differently Designed Agronomic Studies: Examples of Different Meta-analysis Methods Used to Compare Relative Composition of Plant Foods Grown Using Organic or Conventional Production Methods and a Protocol for a Systematic Review. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2013, 61(30), 7173-7180.
- Zaini R, Brandt K, Clench MR, Le Maitre CL. Effects of Bioactive Compounds from Carrots (Daucus carota L.), Polyacetylenes, Beta-Carotene and Lutein on Human Lymphoid Leukaemia Cells. Anti-Cancer Agents in Medicinal Chemistry 2012, 12(6), 640-652.
- Zaini R, Haywood S, Brandt K, Clench MR, Cross N, Le Maitre C. Synergistic Action of Falcarinol on Induction of Apoptosis on Human Lymphoid Leukaemia Cell Lines. In: 202nd Summer Scientific Meeting of the Pathological Society of Great Britain and Ireland. 2012, Sheffield, UK: John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
- Brandt K, Leifert C, Sanderson R, Seal CJ. Agroecosystem management and nutritional quality of plant foods: The case of organic fruits and vegetables. Critical Reviews in Plant Sciences 2011, 30(1-2), 177-197.
- Ahmad T, Binger S, Brandt K. Changes in contents of polyacetylenes and carotenoids in carrots kept at different temperatures after harvest. In: PROCEEDINGS OF THE NUTRITION SOCIETY. 2011, EDINBURGH BLDG, SHAFTESBURY RD, CB2 8RU CAMBRIDGE, ENGLAND: CAMBRIDGE UNIV PRESS.
- Brandt V, Brandt CJ, Glintborg D, Arendal C, Toubro S, Brandt K. Sustained Weight Loss during 20 Months using a Personalized Interactive Internet Based Dietician Advice Program in a General Practice Setting. International Journal on Advances in Life Sciences 2011, 3(1 & 2), 23-28.
- Ghorbani R, Koocheki A, Brandt K, Wilcockson S, Leifert C. Organic agriculture and food production: Ecological, environmental, food safety and nutritional quality issues. In: Lichtfouse, E, ed. Sociology, Organic farming, Climate Change and Soil Science. London, New York: Springer Dordtrecht Heidelberg, 2009, pp.77-107.
- Rocha G, Roughan JV, Leach MC, Flecknell PA, Ingram CD, Brandt K. Traditional use, chemical analysis and antinociceptive effects of Hyptis crenato Pohl. In: Planta Medica: 57th International Congress and Annual Meeting of the Society for Medicinal Plant and Natural Product Research. 2009, Geneva, Switzerland: Georg Thieme Verlag.
- Brandt K. Challenges in the control of food quality and safety. Outlooks on Pest Management 2008, 19(1), 34-38.
- Kristensen M, Østergaard LF, Halekoh U, Jørgensen H, Lauridsen C, Brandt K, Bügel S. Effect of plant cultivation methods on content of major and trace elements in foodstuffs and retention in rats. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 2008, 88(12), 2161-2172.
- Brandt K. Plant health, soil fertility relationships and food quality. In: Organic Agriculture in Asia. 2008, Dankook University, Korea: International Society of Organic Agriculture Research.
- Lauridsen C, Yong C, Halekoh U, Bügel SH, Brandt K, Christensen LP, Jørgensen H. Rats show differences in some biomarkers of health when eating diets based on ingredients produced with three different cultivation strategies. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 2008, 88(4), 720-732.
- Jorgensen H, Brandt K, Launidsen C. Year rather than farming system influences protein utilization and energy value of vegetables when measured in a rat model. Nutrition Research 2008, 28(12), 866-878.
- Brandt K, Lietz G, Christensen LP, Kobaek-Larsen M. A systematic approach for identifying plant components with impact on human health. In: Acta Horticulturae: 1st International Symposium on Human Health Effects of Fruits and Vegetables. 2007, Québec City, Canada: ISHS.
- Brandt K. Organic Agriculture and Food Utilization. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), 2007. Synthesis papers on Organic Agriculture and Food Security 4.
- Christensen LP, Brandt K. Acetylenes and Psoralens. In: Crozier, A; Clifford, M; Ashihara, H, ed. Plant Secondary Metabolites: Occurence, Structure and Role in the Human Diet. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2006, pp.137-173.
- Christensen LP, Brandt K. Bioactive polyacetylenes in food plants of the Apiaceae family: Occurrence, bioactivity and analysis. Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis 2006, 41(3), 683-693.
- Kidmose U, Yang R-Y, Thilsted SH, Christensen LP, Brandt K. Content of carotenoids in commonly consumed Asian vegetables and stability and extractability during frying. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 2006, 19(6-7), 562-571.
- Brandt K, Mølgaard J-P. Food quality and organic agriculture. In: Kristiansen, P., Taji, A., Reganold, J, ed. Organic Agriculture A Global Perspective. Wallingford, Connecticut, USA: CABI Publishing, 2006, pp.305-327.
- Larsen E, Kharazmi A, Christensen SB, Christensen LP, Brandt K. Use of glycosides of mono- and diacylglycerol as anti-inflammatory agents. USA, US 7,084,122 B2, 2006, 21.11.2002.
- Kobaek-Larsen M, Christensen LP, Vach W, Ritskes-Hoitinga J, Brandt K. Inhibitory effects of feeding with carrots or (-)-falcarinol on development of azoxymethane-induced preneoplastic lesions in the rat colon. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2005, 53(5), 1823-1827.
- Thybo AK, Bechmann IE, Brandt K. Integration of sensory and objective measurements of tomato quality: Quantitative assessment of the effect of harvest date as compared with growth medium (soil versus rockwool), electrical conductivity, variety and maturity. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture 2005, 85(13), 2289-2296.
- Brandt K, Christensen LP, Hansen-Moller J, Hansen SL, Haraldsdottir J, Jespersen L, Purup S, Kharazmi A, Barkholt V, Frokiaer H, Kobaek-Larsen M. Health promoting compounds in vegetables and fruits: A systematic approach for identifying plant components with impact on human health. Trends in Food Science and Technology 2004, 15(7-8), 384-393.
- Nørbæk R, Aaboer DB, Bleeg IS, Christensen BT, Kondo T, Brandt K. Flavone C-glycoside, phenolic acid, and nitrogen contents in leaves of barley subject to organic fertilization treatments. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry 2003, 51(3), 809-813.
- Nørbæk R, Brandt K, Nielsen JK, Ørgaard M, Jacobsen N. Flower pigment composition of Crocus species and cultivars used for a chemotaxonomic investigation. Biochemical Systematics and Ecology 2002, 30(8), 763-791.
- Brandt K, Kidmose U. Nutritional consequences of using organic agricultural methods in developing countries. Oxford, UK: Eolss Publishers, 2002. Available at: http://www.eolss.net/Sample-Chapters/C10/E5-21-05.pdf.
- Brandt K, Mølgaard JP. Organic agriculture: does it enhance or reduce the nutritional value of plant foods?. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture: Special Issue: Nutritional Enhancement of Plant Foods (NEODIET) 2001, 81(9), 924-931.
- Brandt K, Christensen LP, Larsen E, Kharazmi A, Purup S, Christensen SB. Using traditional medicine knowledge as a lead to selection of potentially health promoting compounds in food plants. In: Pfannhauser, W., Fenwick, G.R., Khokhar, S, ed. Biologically-active Phytochemicals in Food. Cambridge, UK: The Royal Society of Chemistry, 2001, pp.584-588.