Dr Louise Allan
Clinical Senior Lecturer/ Consultant
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1336
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 1301
- Address: Institute of Neuroscience
Biomedical Research Building
Campus for Ageing and Vitality
Newcastle upon Tyne
I am a Geriatrician with a specialist interest in the Neurology and Psychiatry of Old Age, and my research interests include the non-Alzheimer’s dementias and the physical health of people with dementia. I am a principal investigator in the Dementia and Neurodegenerative Disorders (DEMANDS) Research group, within the Institute of Neuroscience. I collaborate closely with colleagues in the Institute for Health and Society.
BA (Hons) (Oxford)
Honorary NHS appointments
Honorary Consultant Geriatrician, Newcastle upon Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust.
Other roles and responsibilities
· Clinical lead for Dementia, Northern Strategic Clinical Network for Mental Health, Dementia and Neurological Conditions
· Dementia lead, Dementia and Related Disorders Section, British Geriatrics Society
· Right Care Task Force member, National Dementia Action Alliance (a taskforce of senior policymakers and clinicians coordinating the Dementia Friendly Hospitals campaign)
· Member of the North East Dementia Alliance Steering Group
· Clinical Dementia Lead, Newcastle Hospitals NHS Foundation trust
My research focusses on three themes:
1. Vascular Cognitive Impairment
This work includes the long term follow up of the MRC funded COGFAST cohort, one of the world’s largest and longest running clinicopathological cohort studies of people with cerebrovascular disease. We have reported on the long term incidence and neuropathological features of dementia and depression after stroke, and in particular identified that delayed dementia after stroke is primarily associated with predominantly vascular rather than mixed pathology.
We have also established a Nigerian cohort (COGFAST-Nigeria), which will enable comparisons of Vascular Cognitive Impairment between developed and developing countries, the latter being an increasingly important setting for dementia research due to the expanding and ageing demographics in the developing world.
2. Lewy Body disease
The investigation of Lewy Body disorders is an important focus of research for the DEMANDS group and we host an NIHR Biomedical Research Unit in Lewy Body disease. I am a co-investigator in the DIAMOND-Lewy study, an NIHR funded programme grant which aims to improve the diagnosis and management of Lewy body disorders including Dementia with Lewy bodies and Parkinson’s disease dementia.
I have an interest in autonomic dysfunction in dementia, and previous work in the MRC funded Lewy Body Disease cohort study has shown that autonomic dysfunction is a particularly common feature of the Lewy body dementias and an important risk factor for falls.
3. Physical health in dementia
I have previously published work on the risk factors for falls in people with dementia, and am currently leading an NIHR funded Health Technology Assessment Programme to investigate whether it is possible to design a complex intervention to improve the outcome of fall related injuries in dementia.
I have recently completed a study investigating the use of brief cognitive screening instruments for the detection of cognitive impairment in older people presenting to Geriatric Medical services, and we are currently investigating the validity of the recent Dementia and Delirium CQUIN in detecting dementia in people admitted to acute hospitals.
During my research into dementia delirium has emerged as a significant theme which needs further investigation. We have recently worked on the validation of methods of detecting delirium retrospectively from hospital notes. We are now using this methodology to explore the role of the delirium in exacerbating cognitive decline in people who participated in the CFAS I study and we also plan to examine our previous disease specific cohorts. However, for a fuller understanding of the role of delirium as a potential cause of and exacerbating factor in dementia it is essential that we undertake prospective studies which we are now undertaking with the CFAS II cohort.
LM Allan et al: Is it possible to develop a complex intervention to improve the outcome of fall-related injuries in people with dementia? Principal Investigator NIHR HTA Project 13/78/02 £513,008, (2015-2017).
S Richardson, LM Allan, S Parker: DECIDE: Delirium and Cognitive Impact in Dementia, Supervisor, Alzheimer’s Society Research Fellowship, £217,232, (2015-2018).
L Robinson et al: North East Dementia Hub: an information resource for professionals and the public. Academic Health Sciences Network (Northern). £110,000, (2014-2015).
John O'Brien et al: Improving the Diagnosis and Management of Dementias of Lewy Body Type in the NHS (DIAMOND-Lewy) NIHR Programme grant, £1,195,337, (2013-2018).
LM Allan: “The validation of brief cognitive screening instruments and determination of the prevalence of dementia in Geriatric Medical Outpatients”. Principal Investigator, Research grant, Newcastle Healthcare Charity & Newcastle Hospitals NHS Charity, £41,180 (2008-2009).
RA Kenny, LM Allan, CG Ballard, IG McKeith: “Neurocardiovascular instability in dementia; prevalence and consequences”. Co-investigator, Project Grant, PPP Healthcare Medical Trust, £168 420 (2001-2005).
LM Allan, RA Kenny, CG Ballard: Alzheimer’s Society Research Fellowship: “What causes neurocardiovascular instability in dementia and how can it be treated?” £123 720 (2001-2004).
Dr Rufus Akinyemi (2009-2014).
Vincent Foster (2012-2015)
Dr Ellen Tullo
Dr Sarah Richardson
I teach on the MRes and MSc Ageing modules and I also supervise MClinRes students.
I teach on the MBBS and BMS undergraduate programmes.
I also teach about cognitive disorders to junior doctors, nurses and allied health professionals within the Newcastle Hospitals.
I am an investigator the North East Dementia Hub: an information resource for professionals and the public. £110,000 funded by the Academic Health Sciences Network (Northern). 2014-2015.
L Allan: Delirium Roadshow: A training programme for hospitals in the North East. Health education North East £20,000 (2015-2016).
- Kane JPM, Surendranathan A, Bentley A, Barker SAH, Taylor J-P, Thomas AJ, Allan LM, McNally RJ, James PW, McKeith IG, Burn DJ, O'Brien JT. Clinical prevalence of Lewy body dementia. Alzheimer's Research & Therapy 2018, 10, 19.
- Robalino S, Nyakang'o SB, Beyer FR, Fox C, Allan LM. Effectiveness of interventions aimed at improving physical and psychological outcomes of fall-related injuries in people with dementia: a narrative systematic review. Systematic Reviews 2018, 7, 31.
- Akinyemi RO, Allan LM, Oakley A, Kalaria RN. Hippocampal neurodegenerative pathology in post-stroke dementia compared to other dementias and aging controls. Frontiers in Neuroscience 2017, 11, 717.
- Connors MH, Quinto L, McKeith I, Brodaty H, Allan L, Bamford C, Thomas A, Taylor J-P, O'Brien JT. Non-pharmacological interventions for Lewy body dementia: a systematic review. Psychological Medicine 2017, epub ahead of print.
- Richardson SJ, Davis DHJ, Stephan B, Robinson L, Brayne C, Barnes L, Parker S, Allan LM. Protocol for the Delirium and Cognitive Impact in Dementia (DECIDE) study: A nested prospective longitudinal cohort study. BMC Geriatrics 2017, 17(1), 98.
- Sachdev PS, Lo JW, Crawford JD, Mellon L, Hickey A, Williams D, Bordet R, Mendyk A-M, Gele P, Deplanque D, Bae H-J, Lim J-S, Brodtmann A, Werden E, Cumming T, Kohler S, Verhey FRJ, Dong Y-H, Tan HH, Chen C, Xin X, Kalaria RN, Allan LM, Akinyemi RO, Ogunniyi A, Klimkowicz-Mrowiec A, Dichgans M, Wollenweber FA, Zietemann V, Hoffmann M, Desmond DW, Linden T, Blomstrand C, Fagerberg B, Skoog I, Godefroy O, Barbay M, Roussel M, Lee B-C, Yu K-H, Wardlaw J, Makin SJ, Doubal FN, Chappell FM, Srikanth VK, Thrift AG, Donnan GA, Kandiah N, Chander RJ, Lin X, Cordonnier C, Moulin S, Rossi C, Sabayan B, Stott DJ, Jukema JW, Melkas S, Jokinen H, Erkinjuntti T, Mok VCT, Wong A, Lam BYK, Leys D, Henon H, Bombois S, Lipnicki DM, Kochan NA, Sachdev PS, Lo JW, Crawford JD, Lipnicki DM, Kochan NA, Mellon L, Hickey A, Williams D, Bordet R, Mendyk A-M, Gele P, Deplanque D, Bae H-J, Lim J-S, Brodtmann A, Werden E, Cumming T, Kohler S, Verhey FRJ, Dong Y-H, Xu J, Chen C, Kalaria RN, Allan LM, Akinyemi R, Ogunniyi A, Kalariai RN, Klimkowicz-Mrowiec A, Dichgans M, Wollenweber FA, Zietemann V, Hoffmann M, Desmond DW, Linden T, Blomstrand C, Fagerberg B, Skoog I, Godefroy O, Barbay M, Roussel M, Lee B-C, Yu K-H, Lim J-S, Wardlaw J, Makin SJ, Doubal FN, Chappell FM, Srikanth VK, Thrift AG, Donnan GA, Kandiah N, Chander RJ, Lin X, Cordonnier C, Moulin S, Rossi C, Sabayan B, Stott DJ, Jukema JW, Melkas S, Jokinen H, Erkinjuntti T, Mok VCT, Wong A, Lam BYK, Leys D, Henon H, Bombois S, Sachdev P. STROKOG (stroke and cognition consortium): An international consortium to examine the epidemiology, diagnosis, and treatment of neurocognitive disorders in relation to cerebrovascular disease. Alzheimer's & Dementia: Diagnosis, Assessment & Disease Monitoring 2017, 7, 11-23.
- Harrison SL, Tang EY, Keage HA, Taylor JP, Allan L, Robinson L, Jagger C, Rockwood K, Stephan BC. A Systematic Review of the Definitions of Vascular Cognitive Impairment, No Dementia in Cohort Studies. Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders 2016, 42(1-2), 69-79.
- Thomas AJ, Taylor JP, Mckeith I, Bamford C, Burn D, Allan L, O'Brien J. Development of assessment toolkits for improving the diagnosis of the Lewy body dementias: Feasibility study within the DIAMOND Lewy study. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 2016, Epub ahead of print.
- Kane JPM, Richardson S, Allan L, Thomas A. Diagnosing dementia. British Journal of Hospital Medicine 2016, 77(2), C22-C25.
- Chen A, Akinyemi RO, Hase Y, Firbank MJ, Ndung'u MN, Foster V, Craggs LJL, Washida K, Okamoto Y, Thomas AJ, Polvikoski TM, Allan LM, Oakley AE, O'Brien JT, Horsburgh K, Ihara M, Kalaria RN. Frontal white matter hyperintensities, clasmatodendrosis and gliovascular abnormalities in ageing and post-stroke dementia. Brain 2016, 139(1), 242-258.
- Dichgans M, Wardlaw J, Smith E, Zietemann V, Seshadri S, Sachdev P, Biessels GJ, Fazekas F, Benavente O, Pantoni L, De Leeuw F, Norrving B, Matthews P, Chen C, Mok V, During M, Whiteley W, Shuler K, Alonso A, Black SE, Brayne C, Chabriat H, Cordonnier C, Doubal F, Duzel E, Ewers M, Frayne R, Hachinski V, Ikram MA, Jessen F, Jouvent E, Linn J, O'Brien J, van Oostenbrugge R, Malik R, Mazoyer B, Schmidt R, Sposato LA, Stephan B, Swartz RH, Vernooij M, Viswanathan A, Werring D, Abe K, Allan L, Arba F, Bae HJ, Bath PMW, Bordet R, Breteler M, Choi S, Deary I, DeCarli C, Ebmeier K, Feng L, Greenberg SM, Ihara M, Kalaria R, Kim S, Lim JS, Lindley RI, Mead G, Murray A, Quinn T, Ritchie C, Sacco R, Salman RA, Sprigg N, Sudlow C, Thomas A, van Boxtel M, van der Grond J, van der Lugt A, Yang YH, VISTA Collaboration, METACOHORTS Consortiums. METACOHORTS for the study of vascular disease and its contribution to cognitive decline and neurodegeneration: An initiative of the Joint Programme for Neurodegenerative Disease Research. Alzheimer's & Dementia 2016, 12(12), 1235-1249.
- Chen AQ, Oakley AE, Monteiro M, Tuomela K, Allan LM, Mukaetova-Ladinska EB, O'Brien JT, Kalaria RN. Multiplex analyte assays to characterize different dementias: brain inflammatory cytokines in poststroke and other dementias. Neurobiology of Aging 2016, 38, 56-67.
- Chen A, Akinyemi RO, Washida K, Foster V, Firbank MJ, Oakley AE, Okamoto Y, O'Brien JT, Allan LM, Ihara M, Kalaria RN. Frontal white matter clasmatodendrosis and cognitive dysfunction in the elderly. In: 116th Meeting of the British Neuropathological Society Institute of Child Health. 2015, London, UK: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd.
- Akinyemi RO, Firbank M, Ogbole GI, Allan LM, Owolabi MO, Akinyemi JO, Yusuf BP, Ogunseyinde O, Ogunniyi A, Kalaria RN. Medial temporal lobe atrophy, white matter hyperintensities and cognitive impairment among African stroke survivors. BMC Research Notes 2015, 8, 625.
- Tullo ES, Lee RP, Robinson L, Allan L. Why is dementia different? Medical students’ views about deceiving people with dementia. Aging & Mental Health 2015, 19(8), 731-738.
- Mayne DJF, Allan L, Reynish E, MacLullich AMJ, Vardy ERLC. Experience and opinions on post-graduate dementia training in the UK: a survey of selected consultant geriatricians. Age and Ageing 2014, 43(2), 263-266.
- Gemmell E, Tam E, Allan L, Hall R, Khundakar A, Oakley AE, Thomas A, Deramecourt V, Kalaria RN. Neuron Volumes in Hippocampal Subfields in Delayed Poststroke and Aging-Related Dementias. Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology 2014, 73(4), 305-311.
- Akinyemi RO, Allan L, Ogunniyi A, Kalaria RN. Profile and determinants associated with vascular cognitive impairment in African stroke survivors: The CogFAST - Nigeria study. In: 9th World Stroke Congress. 2014, Istanbul, Turkey: Wiley-Blackwell Publishing.
- Akinyemi RO, Allan L, Owolabi MO, Akinyemi JO, Ogbole G, Ajani A, Firbank M, Ogunniyi A, Kalaria RN. Profile and determinants of vascular cognitive impairment in African stroke survivors: The CogFAST Nigeria Study. Journal of the Neurological Sciences 2014, 346(1-2), 241-249.
- Foster V, Oakley AE, Slade JY, Hall R, Polvikoski TM, Burke M, Thomas AJ, Khundakar A, Allan LM, Kalaria RN. Pyramidal neurons of the prefrontal cortex in post-stroke, vascular and other ageing-related dementias. Brain 2014, 137(9), 2509-2521.
- Kuhn E, Du X, McGrath K, Coveney S, O'Regan N, Richardson S, Teodorczuk A, Allan L, Wilson D, Inouye SK, MacLullich AMJ, Meagher D, Brayne C, Timmons S, Davis D. Validation of a Consensus Method for Identifying Delirium from Hospital Records. PLoS One 2014, 9(11), e0111823.
- Kuhn E, O'Regan N, McGrath K, Coveney S, Du XY, Teodorczuk A, Allan L, Wilson D, MacLullich A, Meagher D, Brayne C, Timmons S, Davis D. Consensus Validation of a Method for Delirium Identification Using Hospital Records. In: 61st Annual and Scientific Meeting of the Irish Gerontological Society. 2013, Dublin, Ireland: Springer.
- Allan LM, Rowan EN, Thomas AJ, Polvikoski JT, O'Brien JT, Kalaria RN. Long-term incidence of depression and predictors of depressive symptoms in older stroke survivors. British Journal of Psychiatry 2013, n/a, n/a.
- Kuhn E, McGrath K, Coveney S, Du X, Teodorczuk A, Allan L, Wilson D, MacLullich A, O'Regan N, Timmons S, Brayne C, Davis D. Validation of a method for diagnosing delirium from clinical inpatient records. In: Ir J Med Sci. 2013.
- Gemmell E, Bosomworth H, Allan L, Hall R, Khundakar A, Oakley AE, Deramecourt V, Polvikoski TM, O'Brien JT, Kalaria RN. Hippocampal Neuronal Atrophy and Cognitive Function in Delayed Poststroke and Aging-Related Dementias. Stroke 2012, 43(3), 808-814.
- Firbank MJ, Allan LM, Burton EJ, Barber R, O'Brien JT, Kalaria RN. Neuroimaging predictors of death and dementia in a cohort of older stroke survivors. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 2012, 83(3), 263-267.
- Morris CM, Ballard CG, Allan L, Rowan E, Stephens S, Firbank MJ, Ford GA, Kenny RA, O'Brien JT, Kalaria RN. NOS3 gene rs1799983 polymorphism and incident dementia in elderly stroke survivors. Neurobiology of Aging 2011, 32(3), 554.e1-554.e6.
- Allan LM, Rowan EN, Firbank MJ, Thomas AJ, Parry SW, Polvikoski TM, O'Brien JT, Kalaria RN. Long term incidence of dementia, predictors of mortality and pathological diagnosis in older stroke survivors. Brain 2011, 134(12), 3716-3727.
- Tullo ES, Allan L. What should we be teaching medical students about dementia?. International Psychogeriatrics 2011, 23(7), 1044-1050.
- Tullo E, Spencer J, Allan L. Systematic review: Helping the young to understand the old. Teaching interventions in geriatrics to improve the knowledge, skills, and attitudes of undergraduate medical students. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2010, 58(10), 1987-1993.
- Miller VM, Kenny RA, Oakley AE, Hall R, Kalaria RN, Allan LM. Dorsal Motor Nucleus of Vagus protein aggregates in Lewy Body Disease with autonomic dysfunction. Brain Research 2009, 1286, 165-173.
- Allan LM, Ballard CG, Rowan EN, Kenny RA. Incidence and prediction of falls in dementia: a prospective study in older people. PLoS One 2009, 4(5), e5521.
- Allan LM, Ballard CG, Allen J, Murray A, Davidson AW, McKeith IG, Kenny RA. Autonomic dysfunction in dementia. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 2007, 78(7), 671-677.
- Allan L. Orthostatic Hypotension and Autonomic Dysfunction. In: Ballard, C, ed. Parkinson's Dementia. Delray Beach, Florida: Carma Publishing, 2007, pp.99-110.
- McKeith IG, Rowan E, Askew K, Naidu A, Allan L, Barnett N, Lett D, Mosimann UP, Burn D, O'Brien JT. More severe functional impairment in dementia with Lewy bodies than Alzheimer disease is related to extrapyramidal motor dysfunction. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 2006, 14(7), 582-588.
- Burn DJ, Rowan EN, Allan LM, Molloy S, O'Brien JT, McKeith IG. Motor Subtype and Cognitive Decline in Lewy Body Disease: A Two-Year Longitudinal Study. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 2006, 77(5), 585-589.
- Burn DJ, Rowan EN, Allan LM, Molloy S, O'Brien JT, McKeith IG. Motor subtype and cognitive decline in Parkinson's disease, Parkinson's disease with dementia, and dementia with Lewy bodies. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 2006, 77(5), 585-589.
- Allan L, McKeith I, Ballard C, Kenny RA. The prevalence of autonomic symptoms in dementia and their association with physical activity, activities of daily living and quality of life. Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders 2006, 22(3), 230-237.
- Kenny RA, Allan L. Autonomic dysfunction in Dementia with Lewy bodies. In: O'Brien, J., Chiu, E., McKeith, I.G., Ames, D, ed. Dementia with Lewy bodies and Parkinson’s Disease Dementia. London, New York: Taylor and Francis, 2005, pp.107-127.
- Allan LM, Kerr SRJ, Ballard CG, Allen J, Murray A, McLaren AT, Kenny RA. Autonomic function assessed by heart rate variability is normal in Alzheimer's disease and vascular dementia. Dementia and Geriatric Cognitive Disorders 2005, 19(2-3), 140-144.
- McLaren A, Kerr S, Allan L, Steen IN, Ballard C, Allen J, Murray A, Kenny RA. Autonomic function is impaired in elderly stroke survivors. Stroke 2005, 36(5), 1026-1030.
- Allan LM, Ballard CG, Burn DJ, Kenny RA. Prevalence and severity of gait disorders in Alzheimer's and non-Alzheimer's dementias. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2005, 53(10), 1681-1687.
- Allan LM, Ballard CG, Burn DJ, Kenny RA. Prevalence and Severity of Gait Disorders in Alzheimer's and Non-Alzheimer's Dementias. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2005, 53(10), 1681-1687.
- Allan L, Johns E, Doshi M, Kenny RA, Newton JL. Abnormalities of sympathetic and parasympathetic autonomic function in subjects with defaecation syncope. Europace 2004, 6(3), 192-198.
- Stephens S, Kenny RA, Rowan E, Allan L, Kalaria RN, Bradbury M, Ballard CG. Neuropsychological characteristics of mild vascular cognitive impairment and dementia after stroke. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 2004, 19(11), 1053-1057.
- Allan LM, McLaren AT, Allen J, Ballard CG, McKeith IG, Murray A, Kenny RA. Heart rate variability is reduced in dementia with Lewy bodies but not Alzheimer’s disease or vascular dementia. In: First Congress of the International Society for Vascular Behavioural and Cognitive Disorders (VAS-COG). 2003, Gothenburg, Sweden.
- Allan LM, Kenny RA. Blood pressure and falls in the elderly. Modern Hypertension Management 2001, 3(1), 2-4.
- Newton JL, Allan L, Baptist M, Kenny R. Defecation syncope associated with splanchnic sympathetic dysfunction and cured by permanent pacemaker insertion . American Journal of Gastroenterology 2001, 96(7), 2276-2278.
- Williams, J.H., Wellman, N., Allan, L.M., Taylor, E., Tonin, J., Feldon, J., Rawlins, J.N.P. Tobacco Smoking Correlates with Schizotypal and Borderline Personality Traits. Personality and Individual Differences 1996, 20, 267-270.
- Allan, L.M., Williams, J.H., Wellman, N., Tonin, J., Taylor, E., Feldon, J., and Rawlins, J.N.P. Effects of Tobacco Smoking, Schizotypy and Number of Pre-Exposures on Latent Inhibition in Healthy Subjects. Personality and Individual Differences 1995, 19, 893-902.