Emeritus Professor of Psychiatry
BSc, MBChB,MRCP, MRCPsych,MD,FRCP, FRCPsych,
1. House Surgeon to Sir R.B. Wright, Southern General Hospital, Glasgow. August 1974-January 1975.
2. House Physician to Professor E.M. McGirr, Royal Infirmary, Glasgow. February 1975-July 1975.
3. Senior House Officer/Registrar on medical rotation, Stobhill Hospital, Glasgow. August 1975-July 1977.
4. Senior House Officer in Psychiatry, Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow, Middlesex. August 1977-August 1978.
5. Medical Research Council Training Fellow and Honorary Psychiatric Registrar, Clinical Research Centre, Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow, Middlesex. September 1978-August 1981.
6. Wellcome Senior Clinical Research Fellow and Honorary Senior Registrar in Psychiatry. Clinical Research Centre, Northwick Park Hospital, Harrow, Middlesex and Department of Medicine, Royal Postgraduate Medical School, Hammersmith Hospital, London. September 1981-March 1984.
7. Medical Research Council Clinical Scientist, MRC Neurochemical Pathology Unit, Newcastle General Hospital; Honorary Consultant Psychiatrist and Lecturer, Department of Psychiatry, Royal Victoria Infirmary, Newcastle upon Tyne. April 1984-August 1990.
8. Professor of Psychiatry, Department of Psychiatry, University of Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 4LP. Hon Consultant Psychiatrist, Newcastle, Northumberland and North Tyneside Mental Health NHS Trust. September 1990-2014.
9. Emeritus Professor of Psychiatry, 2014-date.
Royal College of Psychiatrists
President, British Association for Psychopharmacology (2010-2012)
Wellcome Trust Neuroscience and Mental Health Funding Committee (2009-2012)
North East Sub-Committee of Advisory Committee on Clinical Excellence Awards, Medical Vice Chair (2009-2013)
Professor Ferrier's major research interests are in psychopharmacology and the neurobiology and treatment of severe affective disorders. Professor Ferrier is involved in many areas of grant-supported research and has published over 150 papers. He regularly presents at national and international conferences.
General Secretary British Association for Psychopharmacology.
Member of Research Development Committee, Scottish Office.
Member of MRC Clinical Training Awards Committee.