Dr Patrick Keown
Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Email: email@example.com
My current research interest is primarily in Health Service Research and the impact of recent changes in the delivery of adult mental health services in England. In particular current research projects focus on changes in the use of the Mental Health Act since the 1980s, the provision of mental health services, and Community Treatment Orders. I am also the local Principle Investigator for two MHRN adopted studies - ACTIONS and AMICUS. My clinical work is as a Consultant Psychiatrist in Rehabilitation and Recovery.
- Keown P, Weich S, Bhui KS, Scott J. Association between provision of mental illness beds and rate of involuntary admissions in the NHS in England 1988-2008: ecological study. British Medical Journal 2011, 343, d3736.
- Weich S, McBride O, Twigg L, Duncan C, Keown P, Crepaz-Keay D, Cyhlarova E, Parsons H, Scott J, Bhui K. Variation in compulsory psychiatric inpatient admission in England: A cross-classified, multilevel analysis. The Lancet Psychiatry 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Keown P, McBride O, Twigg L, Crepaz-Keay D, Cyhlarova E, Parsons H, Scott J, Bhui K, Weich S. Ethnic density meaning and implications Reply. British Journal of Psychiatry 2016, 209(6), 528-529.
- Keown P, McBride O, Twigg L, Crepaz-Keay D, Cyhlarova E, Parsons H, Scott J, Bhui K, Weich S. Rates of voluntary and compulsory psychiatric in-patient treatment in England: an ecological study investigating associations with deprivation and demographics. British Journal of Psychiatry 2016, 209(2), 157-161.
- French J, Keown P, McKinnon I, Gibson G, Newton E, Cull S, Brown P, Parry J, Lyons D. The impact of street triage on section 136 detention in Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust, England. In: International Congress of the Royal College of Psychiatrists. 2016, London.
- Keown P, French J, Gibson G, Newton E, Cull S, Brown P, Parry J, Lyons D, McKinnon I. Too much detention? Street Triage and detentions under Section 136 Mental Health Act in the North-East of England: a descriptive study of the effects of a Street Triage intervention. BMJ Open 2016, 6(11), e011837.
- Keown P, McKinnon I. Section 136 Mental Health Act: Longitudinal Follow-Up Study. In: XXXIVth International Congress on Law and Mental Health. 2015, Sigmund Freud University Vienna, Austria: International Academy of Law and Mental Health.
- Patil D, Keown P, Scott J. A rising tide: the increasing age and psychiatric length of stay for individuals with mild intellectual disabilities. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research 2013, 57(8), 783-790.
- Anitema B, Hall S, Ahuja N, Preston S, Keown P, McKinnon I, Baker M, Hart Y, Cunningham M, Watson S. A pilot study of anti-NMDA receptor antibodies in psychosis. In: International Congress of the Royal College of Psychiatrists - Psychiatry: medicine and the future. 2012, Liverpool, UK: Royal College of Psychiatrists.