Dr Patrick Keown
Honorary Clinical Senior Lecturer
- Email: email@example.com
My primary research interest is the use of the Mental Health Act since the 1980s in England and the connection with the provision of mental health services, and more recently the use of Community Treatment Orders.
My other main research interest is the pharmacological management of schizophrenia. I have been the local Principle Investigator for two MHRN adopted studies - ACTIONS and AMICUS.
My clinical work is as a Consultant Psychiatrist in Rehabilitation and Recovery.
- Barnes TRE, Leeson VC, Paton C, Marston L, Davies L, Whittaker W, Osborn D, Kumar R, Keown P, Zafar R, Iqbal K, Singh V, Fridrich P, Fitzgerald Z, Bagalkote H, Haddad PM, Husni M, Amos T. Amisulpride augmentation in clozapine-unresponsive schizophrenia (AMICUS): A double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomised trial of clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness. Health Technology Assessment 2017, 21(49), i-53.
- Weich S, McBride O, Twigg L, Duncan C, Keown P, Crepaz-Keay D, Cyhlarova E, Parsons H, Scott J, Bhui K. Variation in compulsory psychiatric inpatient admission in England: A cross-classified, multilevel analysis. The Lancet Psychiatry 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Keown P, McBride O, Twigg L, Crepaz-Keay D, Cyhlarova E, Parsons H, Scott J, Bhui K, Weich S. Ethnic density meaning and implications Reply. British Journal of Psychiatry 2016, 209(6), 528-529.
- Keown P, McBride O, Twigg L, Crepaz-Keay D, Cyhlarova E, Parsons H, Scott J, Bhui K, Weich S. Rates of voluntary and compulsory psychiatric in-patient treatment in England: an ecological study investigating associations with deprivation and demographics. British Journal of Psychiatry 2016, 209(2), 157-161.
- French J, Keown P, McKinnon I, Gibson G, Newton E, Cull S, Brown P, Parry J, Lyons D. The impact of street triage on section 136 detention in Northumberland, Tyne and Wear NHS Foundation Trust, England. In: International Congress of the Royal College of Psychiatrists. 2016, London.
- Keown P, French J, Gibson G, Newton E, Cull S, Brown P, Parry J, Lyons D, McKinnon I. Too much detention? Street Triage and detentions under Section 136 Mental Health Act in the North-East of England: a descriptive study of the effects of a Street Triage intervention. BMJ Open 2016, 6(11), e011837.
- Keown P, McKinnon I. Section 136 Mental Health Act: Longitudinal Follow-Up Study. In: XXXIVth International Congress on Law and Mental Health. 2015, Sigmund Freud University Vienna, Austria: International Academy of Law and Mental Health.
- Patil D, Keown P, Scott J. A rising tide: the increasing age and psychiatric length of stay for individuals with mild intellectual disabilities. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research 2013, 57(8), 783-790.
- Anitema B, Hall S, Ahuja N, Preston S, Keown P, McKinnon I, Baker M, Hart Y, Cunningham M, Watson S. A pilot study of anti-NMDA receptor antibodies in psychosis. In: International Congress of the Royal College of Psychiatrists - Psychiatry: medicine and the future. 2012, Liverpool, UK: Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Keown P, Weich S, Bhui KS, Scott J. Association between provision of mental illness beds and rate of involuntary admissions in the NHS in England 1988-2008: ecological study. British Medical Journal 2011, 343, d3736.
- Vasudev K, Keown P, Gibb I, McAllister-Williams RH. Hematological Effects of Valproate in Psychiatric Patients What Are the Risk Factors?. Journal of Clinical Psychopharmacology 2010, 30(3), 282-285.
- McKinnon I, Robinson M, Keown P, Turnbull S, Donaldson T. Re-audit of atypical antipsychotic monitoring in a community setting. In: Faculty of General & Community Psychiatry, Annual Meeting. 2008, Manchester, UK: Royal College of Psychiatrists.
- Keown P, Mercer G, Scott J. Retrospective analysis of hospital episode statistics, involuntary admissions under the Mental Health Act 1983, and number of psychiatric beds in England 1996-2006. British Medical Journal 2008, 337, a1837.
- Keown P. Karl Jaspers: A biography. Navigations in truth. Journal of Forensic Psychiatry & Psychology 2007, 18(3), 432-433.
- Keown P, McAllister-Williams H, Young A. A case of pancytopenia. Journal of Psychopharmacology 2006, 20(5), 690-692.
- Keown P, Holloway F, Kuipers E. The impact of severe mental illness, co-morbid personality disorders and demographic factors on psychiatric bed use. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology 2005, 40(1), 42-49.