Dr Peter Gallagher
Lecturer in Neuropsychology
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0)191 208 7166
- Fax: +44 (0)191 208 5227
- Address: Institute of Neuroscience,
The Henry Wellcome Building,
Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE2 4HH, UK
My main research interests are applied and experimental neuropsychology, specifically neuropsychological impairment in psychiatric illness and its biological underpinnings.
This work has extended to a series of projects examining aspects of neuropsychological change and cognitive preservation in ageing. We are particularly interested in assessing intra-individual reaction time variability, applying ex-Gaussian modelling (see recent publications).
Neurocognitive impairment in mood disorders
Emotional processing in mood disorders
MRC Life-Long Health and Wellbeing project:
- “The development and evaluation of a monitoring device to objectively assess functional and psychosocial impairment in older-age adults with major depression”.
MRC CFS/ME Strategic Call:
- “Understanding the pathogenesis of autonomic dysfunction in chronic fatigue syndrome and its relationship with cognitive impairment”.
MRC Experimental Medicine for Mental Health:
- “Randomised trial of Blood pressure Rapid Intensive Lowering And Normal Treatment for Mood and Cognition in Persistent Depression (BRILiANT Mood Study)”.
PSY1010 Research Methods & Skills [module leader- statistics]
PSY3097 Undergraduate Research Projects
MMB8010 Cognitive Neuroscience module [MRes in Medical and Molecular Biosciences]
MRes, MSc (PSY8037), MPhil, DClinPsy, and PhD project supervision
Deputy Postgraduate Research Student Coordinator (PgRSC) for IoN.
- Firbank M, Kobeleva X, Cherry G, Killen A, Gallagher P, Burn DJ, Thomas AJ, O'Brien JT, Taylor JP. Neural correlates of attention-executive dysfunction in lewy body dementia and Alzheimer's disease. Human Brain Mapping 2016, e-pub ahead of print.
- Gallagher P, Nilsson J, Finkelmeyer AE, Goshawk M, Macritchie KA, Lloyd AJ, Thompson JM, Porter RJ, Young AH, Ferrier IN, McAllister-Williams RH, Watson S. Neurocognitive intra-individual variability in mood disorders: effects on attentional response time distributions. Psychological Medicine 2015, 45(14), 2985-2997.
- Robinson LJ, Gray JM, Burt M, Ferrier IN, Gallagher P. Processing of Facial Emotion in Bipolar Depression and Euthymia. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society 2015, 21(9), 709-721.
- Gallagher P, Gray JM, Kessels RPC. Fractionation of visuo-spatial memory processes in bipolar depression: a cognitive scaffolding account. Psychological Medicine 2015, 45(3), 545-558.
- Gallagher P, Gray JM, Watson S, Young AH, Ferrier IN. Neurocognitive functioning in bipolar depression: a component structure analysis. Psychological Medicine 2014, 44(5), 961-974.
- Porter RJ, Robinson LJ, Malhi GS, Gallagher P. The neurocognitive profile of mood disorders – a review of the evidence and methodological issues. Bipolar Disorders 2015, 17(Suppl. 2), 21-40.
- Bourne C, Aydemir O, Balanza-Martinez V, Bora E, Brissos S, Cavanagh JTO, Clark L, Cubukcuoglu Z, Dias VV, Dittmann S, Ferrier IN, Fleck DE, Frangou S, Gallagher P, Jones L, Kieseppa T, Martinez-Aran A, Melle I, Moore PB, Mur M, Pfennig A, Raust A, Senturk V, Simonsen C, Smith DJ, Bio DS, Soeiro-de-Souza MG, Stoddart SDR, Sundet K, Szoke A, Thompson JM, Torrent C, Zalla T, Craddock N, Andreassen OA, Leboyer M, Vieta E, Bauer M, Worhunsky PD, Tzagarakis C, Rogers RD, Geddes JR, Goodwin GM. Neuropsychological testing of cognitive impairment in euthymic bipolar disorder: an individual patient data meta-analysis. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 2013, 128(3), 149-162.
- Robinson LJ, Thompson JM, Gallagher P, Gray JM, Young AH, Ferrier IN. Performance monitoring and executive control of attention in euthymic bipolar disorder: Employing the CPT-AX paradigm. Psychiatry Research 2013, 210(2), 457-464.
- Nilsson J, Thomas AJ, O'Brien JT, Gallagher P. White Matter and Cognitive Decline in Aging: A Focus on Processing Speed and Variability. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society 2014, 20(3), 262-267.
- Vardy ERLC, Ford AH, Gallagher P, Watson R, McKeith IG, Blamire A, O'Brien JT. Distinct cognitive phenotypes in Alzheimer's disease in older people. International Psychogeriatrics 2013, 25(10), 1659-1666.
- Wooderson SC, Gallagher P, Watson S, Young AH. An exploration of testosterone levels in patients with bipolar disorder. British Journal of Psychiatry Open 2015, 1(3), 136-138.
- Mazurek A, Bhoopathy R, Read JCA, Gallagher P, Smulders TV. Effects of age on a real-world What-Where-When memory task. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience 2015, 7, 74.
- Olsen K, Howel D, Barber R, Ford GA, Gallagher P, McAllister-Williams RH, Nilsson J, O'Brien J, Parker J, Thomas A. Lessons from a pilot and feasibility randomised trial in depression (Blood pressure Rapid Intensive Lowering And Normal Treatment for Mood and cognition in persistent depression (BRILiANT mood study)). Pilot and Feasibility Studies 2015, 1(44).
- Watson S, Gallagher P, Dougall D, Porter R, Moncrieff J, Ferrier IN, Young AH. Childhood trauma in bipolar disorder. Australian & New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 2014, 48(6), 564-570.
- Moriarty AS, Bradley AJ, Anderson KN, Watson S, Gallagher P, McAllister-Williams RH. Cortisol awakening response and spatial working memory in man: a U-shaped relationship. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical & Experimental 2014, 29(3), 295-298.
- Redfern N, Gallagher P. The ageing anaesthetist. Anaesthesia 2014, 69(1), 1-5.
- Robinson L, Hackett K, Bowman S, Griffiths B, Ng WF, Gallagher P. Understanding the Gap between Subjective Symptoms and Objective Illness Markers in Primary Sjogren's Syndrome. In: EULAR: The Annual European Congress of Rheumatology. 2014, Paris, France: BMJ Publishing Group.
- Macritchie KAN, Gallagher P, Lloyd AJ, Bastin ME, Eyre R, Vasudev K, Marshall I, Wardlaw JM, Ferrier IN, Moore PB, Young AH. Periventricular white matter integrity and cortisol levels in healthy controls and in euthymic patients with bipolar disorder: An exploratory analysis. Journal of Affective Disorders 2013, 148(2-3), 249-255.
- McAllister-Williams RH, Smith E, Anderson IM, Barnes J, Gallagher P, Grunze HCR, Haddad PM, House AO, Hughes T, Lloyd AJ, McColl EMM, Pearce SHS, Siddiqi N, Sinha B, Speed C, Steen IN, Wainwright J, Watson S, Winter FH, Ferrier IN. Study protocol for the randomised controlled trial: Antiglucocorticoid augmentation of anti-Depressants in Depression (The ADD Study). BMC Psychiatry 2013, 13, 205.
- Mackin P, Waton T, Watkinson HM, Gallagher P. A four-year naturalistic prospective study of cardiometabolic disease in antipsychotic-treated patients. European Psychiatry 2012, 27(1), 50-55.
- Watson S, Gallagher P, Porter RJ, Smith MS, Herron LJ, Bulmer S, North-East Mood Disorders Clinical Research Group, Young AH, Ferrier IN. A Randomized Trial to Examine the Effect of Mifepristone on Neuropsychological Performance and Mood in Patients with Bipolar Depression. Biological Psychiatry 2012, 72(11), 943-949.
- Pariante CM, Alhaj HA, Arulnathan VE, Gallagher P, Hanson A, Massey AE, McAllister-Williams RH. Central glucocorticoid receptor-mediated effects of the antidepressant, citalopram, in humans: A study using EEG and cognitive testing. Psychoneuroendocrinology 2012, 37(5), 618-628.
- Robinson LJ, Stevens LH, Threapleton CJD, Vainiute J, McAllister-Williams RH, Gallagher P. Effects of intrinsic and extrinsic motivation on attention and memory. Acta Psychologica 2012, 141(2), 243-249.
- Moriarty A, Anderson K, Gallagher P, McAllister-Williams RH. Neuropsychological effects of sleep disturbance in healthy subjects. In: Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry: Association of British Neurologists Annual Meeting. 2012, Gateshead, UK: BMJ Group.
- Macritchie KAN, Lloyd AJ, Bastin ME, Vasudev K, Gallagher P, Eyre R, Marshall I, Wardlaw JM, Ferrier IN, Moore PB, Young AH. White matter microstructural abnormalities in euthymic bipolar disorder. British Journal of Psychiatry 2010, 196(1), 52-58.
- Thomas AJ, Gallagher P, Robinson LJ, Porter RJ, Young AH, Ferrier IN, O'Brien JT. A comparison of neurocognitive impairment in younger and older adults with major depression. Psychological Medicine 2009, 39(5), 725-733.
- Douglas KM, Porter RJ, Frampton CM, Gallagher P, Young AH. Abnormal response to failure in unmedicated major depression. Journal of Affective Disorders 2009, 119(1-3), 92-99.
- Watson S, Horton K, Bulmer S, Carlile J, Corcoran C, Gallagher P, Ferrier IN. Effect of aspirin on hypothalamic–pituitary–adrenal function and on neuropsychological performance in healthy adults: a pilot study. Psychopharmacology 2009, 205(1), 151-155.
- Gallagher P, Reid KS, Ferrier IN. Neuropsychological functioning in health and mood disorder: Modulation by glucocorticoids and their receptors. Psychoneuroendocrinology 2009, 34(Supplement 1), S196-207.
- Goswami U, Sharma A, Varma A, Gulrajani C, Ferrier IN, Young AH, Gallagher P, Thompson JM, Moore PB. The neurocognitive performance of drug-free and medicated euthymic bipolar patients do not differ. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 2009, 120(6), 456-463.
- Gallagher P, Malik N, Newham J, Young AH, Ferrier IN, Mackin P. Antiglucocorticoid treatments for mood disorders. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2008, (1), CD005168.
- Mace J, Porter R, O'Brien J, Gallagher P. Cognitive effects of acute tryptophan depletion in the healthy elderly. Acta Neuropsychiatrica 2008, 20(2), 78-86.
- Gallagher P, Watson S, Dye CE, Young A, Ferrier IN. Persistent effects of mifepristone (RU-486) on cortisol levels in bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Journal of Psychiatric Research 2008, 42(12), 1037-1041.
- Mackin P, Gallagher P. Cardiovascular risk with antipsychotics: case-control study or survey? Reply. British Journal of Psychiatry 2007, 191, 564.
- Mackin P, Gallagher P, Watson S, Young A, Ferrier IN. Changes in brain-derived neurotrophic factor following treatment with mifepristone in bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 2007, 41(4), 321-326.
- Porter RJ, Gallagher P, O'Brien JT. Effects of rapid tryptophan depletion on salivary cortisol in older people recovered from depression, and the healthy elderly. Journal of Psychopharmacology 2007, 21(1), 71-75.
- Watson S, Owen BM, Gallagher P, Hearn AJ, Young AH, Ferrier IN. Family history, early adversity and the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) axis: Mediation of the vulnerability to mood disorders. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment 2007, 3(5), 647-653.
- Watson S, Gallagher P, Smith MS, Young AH, Ferrier IN. Lithium, arginine vasopressin and the dex/CRH test in mood disordered patients. Psychoneuroendocrinology 2007, 32(5), 464-469.
- Mackin P, Bishop D, Watkinson H, Gallagher P, Ferrier IN. Metabolic disease and cardiovascular risk in people treated with antipsychotics in the community. British Journal of Psychiatry 2007, 191, 23-29.
- Gallagher P, Robinson L, Gray J, Young A, Porter R. Neurocognitive function following remission in major depressive disorder: Potential objective marker of response?. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 2007, 41(1), 54-61.
- Porter R, Bourke C, Gallagher P. Neuropsychological impairment in major depression: Its nature, origin and clinical significance. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry 2007, 41(2), 115-128.
- Gallagher P, Watson S, Smith MS, Young AH, Ferrier IN. Plasma cortisol-dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) ratios in schizophrenia and bipolar disorder. Schizophrenia Research 2007, 90(1-3), 258-265.
- Watson S, Gallagher P, Smith MS, Ferrier IN, Young AH. The dex/CRH test and the DST in patients with bipolar disorder and major depressive disorder. Psychoneuroendocrinology 2007, 32(1), 92-94.
- Robinson LJ, Thompson JM, Gallagher P, Goswami U, Young AH, Ferrier IN, Moore PB. A meta-analysis of cognitive deficits in euthymic patients with bipolar disorder. Journal of Affective Disorders 2006, 93(1-3), 105-115.
- Porter RJ, Gallagher P. Abnormalities of the HPA axis in affective disorders: Clinical subtypes and potential treatments. Acta Neuropsychiatrica 2006, 18(5), 193-209.
- Holmes MK, Gallagher P, Robinson LJ, Gray JM, Olivier P, Heslop P, Ferrier IN. Applications of virtual reality technology in the measurement of spatial memory in patients with mood disorders . CNS Spectrums 2006, 11(6), 417-418.
- Gallagher P, Leitch MM, Massey AE, McAllister-Williams RH, Young AH. Assessing cortisol and dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) in saliva: Effects of collection method. Journal of Psychopharmacology 2006, 20(5), 643-649.
- Venn HR, Watson S, Gallagher P, Young AH. Facial expression perception: An objective outcome measure for treatment studies in mood disorders?. International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology 2006, 9(2), 229-245.
- Gallagher P, Young AH. Mifepristone (RU-486) treatment for depression and psychosis: A review of the therapeutic implications. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment 2006, 2(1), 33-42.
- Goswami U, Sharma A, Khastigir U, Ferrier IN, Young AH, Gallagher P, Thompson JM, Moore PB. Neuropsychological dysfunction, soft neurological signs and social disability in euthymic patients with bipolar disorder. British Journal of Psychiatry 2006, 188(4), 366-373.
- Robinson LJ, Gallagher P, Ferrier IN. Neuropsychological impairment in bipolar disorder: the role of the HPA axis. Aspects of Affect 2006, 1, 92-98.
- Gallagher P, Reid KS, Watson S. Phenytoin, an anti-bipolar anticonvulsant: A potential anti-glucocorticoid mechanism?. International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology 2006, 9(5), 627-628.
- Watson S, Gallagher P, Ferrier IN, Young AH. Post-dexamethasone arginine vasopressin levels in patients with severe mood disorders. Journal of Psychiatric Research 2006, 40(4), 353-359.
- Gallagher P, Neave N, Hamilton C, Gray JM. Sex differences in object location memory: Some further methodological considerations. Learning and Individual Differences 2006, 16(4), 277-290.
- Ashton H, Gallagher P, Moore B. The adult psychiatrist's dilemma: Psychostimulant use in attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder. Journal of Psychopharmacology 2006, 20(5), 602-610.
- Watson S, Gallagher P, Smith MS, Ferrier IN, Young AH. The dex/CRH test-Is it better than the DST?. Psychoneuroendocrinology 2006, 31(7), 889-894.
- Ashton CH, Moore PB, Gallagher P, Young AH. Cannabinoids in bipolar affective disorder: A review and discussion of their therapeutic potential. Journal of Psychopharmacology 2005, 19(3), 293-300.
- Porter RJ, Phipps AJ, Gallagher P, Scott A, Stevenson PS, O'Brien JT. Effects of acute tryptophan depletion on mood and cognitive functioning in older recovered depressed subjects. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 2005, 13(7), 607-615.
- Gallagher P, Watson S, Smith MS, Ferrier IN, Young AH. Effects of adjunctive mifepristone (RU-486) administration on neurocognitive function and symptoms in schizophrenia. Biological Psychiatry 2005, 57(2), 155-161.
- Thompson JM, Gallagher P, Hughes JH, Watson S, Gray JM, Ferrier IN, Young AH. Neurocognitive impairment in euthymic patients with bipolar affective disorder. British Journal of Psychiatry 2005, 186, 32-40.
- Mackin P, Gallagher P, Manni L, Nikolova V, Vyagova D, Chaldakov GN, Aloe L. Reduced plasma levels of NGF and BDNF in patients with acute coronary syndromes (multiple letters). International Journal of Cardiology 2005, 105(3), 352-354.
- Gribbin GM, Gallagher P, Young AH, McComb JM, McCue P, Toff WD, Bexton RS, Bland JM. The effect of pacemaker mode on cognitive function. Heart 2005, 91(9), 1209-1210.
- Gribbin GM, Gallagher P, Young AH, McComb JM, McCue P, Toff W, Bland MA, Kenny RA. The effect of pacemaker mode on cognitive function. Heart 2005, 91(9), 1209-1210.
- Porter RJ, Gallagher P, Watson S, Young AH. Corticosteroid-serotonin interactions in depression: A review of the human evidence. Psychopharmacology 2004, 173(1), 1-17.
- Hearn AJ, Gallagher P, Owen BM, Smith MS, Watson S, Young AH. Effect of sub-chronic hydrocortisone on responses to amphetamine in normal male volunteers. Psychopharmacology 2004, 171(4), 458-464.
- Symonds CS, Gallagher P, Thompson JM, Young AH. Effects of the menstrual cycle on mood, neurocognitive and neuroendocrine function in healthy premenopausal women. Psychological Medicine 2004, 34(1), 93-102.
- Watson S, Gallagher P, Ritchie JC, Ferrier IN, Young AH. Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis function in patients with bipolar disorder. British Journal of Psychiatry 2004, 184, 496-502.
- Young AH, Gallagher P, Watson S, Del-Estal D, Owen BM, Ferrier IN. Improvements in neurocognitive function and mood following adjunctive treatment with mifepristone (RU-486) in bipolar disorder. Neuropsychopharmacology 2004, 29(8), 1538-1545.
- Gallagher P, Porter RJ. The Neuropsychology of Mood Disorders. In: Joyce, P.R., Mitchell, P.B, ed. Mood Disorders: Recognition and Treatment. Sydney, Australia: University of New South Wales Press, 2004, pp.139-150.
- Gallagher P, Massey AE, Young AH, McAllister-Williams RH. Effects of acute tryptophan depletion on executive function in healthy male volunteers. BMC Psychiatry 2003, 3(10), 9.
- Porter RJ, Gallagher P, Watson S, Smith MS, Young AH. Elevated prolactin responses to L-tryptophan infusion in medication-free depressed patients. Psychopharmacology 2003, 169(1), 77-83.
- Porter RJ, Gallagher P, Thompson JM, Young AH. Neurocognitive impairment in drug-free patients with major depressive disorder. British Journal of Psychiatry 2003, 182, 214-220.
- Hughes JH, Gallagher P, Stewart ME, Matthews D, Kelly TP, Young AH. The effects of acute tryptophan depletion on neuropsychological function. Journal of Psychopharmacology 2003, 17(3), 300-309.
- Hughes JH, Gallagher P, Young AH. Effects of acute tryptophan depletion on cognitive function in euthymic bipolar patients. European Neuropsychopharmacology 2002, 12(2), 123-128.
- Watson S, Gallagher P, Del-Estal D, Hearn A, Ferrier IN, Young AH. Hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis function in patients with chronic depression. Psychological Medicine 2002, 32(6), 1021-1028.
- Porter RJ, Gallagher P, Watson S, Lunn BS, Young AH. The effects of sub-chronic administration of hydrocortisone on hormonal and psychological responses to L-tryptophan in normal male volunteers. Psychopharmacology 2002, 163(1), 68-75.
- Golightly KL, Lloyd JA, Hobson JE, Gallagher P, Mercer G, Young AH. Acute tryptophan depletion in schizophrenia. Psychological Medicine 2001, 31(1), 75-84.
- Stanton BR, David AS, Cleare AJ, Sierra M, Lambert MV, Phillips ML, Porter RJ, Gallagher P, Young AH. Basal Activity of the Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Adrenal Axis in Patients with Depersonalisation Disorder. Psychiatry Research 2001, 104(1), 85-89.