Dr Peter Thelwall
William Leech Reader in Magnetic Resonance Physics
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 208 1156
- Fax: +44 (0) 191 208 1151
- Personal Website: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres
- Address: Newcastle Magnetic Resonance Centre
Campus for Ageing & Vitality
Newcastle upon Tyne
Undergraduate: BSc - Biochemistry and biological chemistry, Nottingham University, 1995
Postgraduate: PhD - Biochemistry and magnetic resonance. Cambridge University, 1999
Postdoc: Department of Neuroscience, University of Florida. 2000 - 2006
My research focuses on the use of magnetic resonance imaging and spectroscopy to non-invasively monitor changes in tissue metabolic status and function. This encompasses the following projects:
- Measurement of lung respiratory function using 19F MRI of inert tracer gases
- Oxidative stress: development of novel techniques to image tissue glutathione content and metabolism
- Non-invasive in vivo measurement of tissue glycogen content and lipid composition by 1H and 13C spectroscopy
- Dynamic contrast-enhanced imaging of pulmonary vascular properties: application to clinical research
- Development and application of methods for non-invasive investigation of diabetic kidney disease
These projects centre on the development of cutting-edge MR methodology, and application of these methods to pre-clinical models and/or clinical studies to investigate the changes in biochemistry, physiology and function associated with disease.
- MRC New Investigator Research Grant: In vivo monitoring of liver oxidative stress by magnetic resonance measurements of glutathione turnover. 2009-2012
- MRC Confidence in Concept: Imaging lung ventilation by MRI of fluorocarbon gases. 2014-2015
Newcastle Magnetic Resonance Centre
I am a member of the Magnetic Resonance Physics Team at the Newcastle Magnetic Resonance Centre, our research focuses on the application of cutting-edge MR imaging and spectroscopy methods to clinical research. We have two Philips 3T Achieva whole-body scanner equiped with multinuclear (13C, 31P, etc) capability, and a Varian 7T pre-clinical MR system.
MRes and PhD supervision: Biomedical Magnetic Resonance Research
Current PhD projects: "Fluorocarbon gases as an MRI contrast agent for measurement of lung ventilation properties"
NHS - Modernising Scientific Careers: Clinical Sciences MSc
Course contributor and Lecturer to the "Medical Physics: Imaging with Non-ionising Radiation" and "Respiratory and Sleep Sciences" MSc modules
- Skamarauskas JT, Oakley F, Smith FE, Bawn C, Dunn M, Vidler DS, Clemence M, Blain PG, Taylor R, Gamcsik MP, Thelwall PE. Non-invasive in vivo magnetic resonance measures of glutathione synthesis in human and rat liver as an oxidative stress biomarker. Hepatology 2014, 59(6), 2321-2330.
- Thelwall PE, Smith FE, Leavitt MC, Canty D, Hu W, Hollingsworth KG, Thoma C, Trenell MI, Taylor R, Rutkowski JV, Blamire AM, Quinn AG. Hepatic Cholesteryl Ester Accumulation in Lysosomal Acid Lipase Deficiency: Non-Invasive Identification and Treatment Monitoring by Magnetic Resonance. Journal of Hepatology 2013, 59(3), 543-549.
- Detko E, OHara JP, Thelwall PE, Smith FE, Jakovljevic DG, King RF, Trenell MI. Addition of protein and amino acids to maltodextrin and galactose does not enhance post-exercise liver and muscle glycogen synthesis. British Journal of Nutrition 2013. In Press.
- Thelwall PE, Simpson NE, Rabbani ZN, Clark MD, Pourdeyhimi R, Macdonald JM, Blackband SJ, Gamcsik MP. In vivo MR studies of glycine and glutathione metabolism in a rat mammary tumor. NMR in Biomedicine 2012, 25(2), 271-278.
- Gamcsik M, Clark MD, Ludeman SM, Springer JB, D'Alessandro MA, Simpson NE, Pourdeyhimi R, Johnson CB, Teeter SD, Blackband SJ, Thelwall PE. Non-invasive Monitoring of L-2-Oxothiazolidine-4-Carboxylate Metabolism in the Rat Brain by In vivo C-13 Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy. Neurochemical Research 2011, 36(3), 443-451.
- Thelwall PE, Taylor R, Marshall SM. Non-invasive Investigation of Kidney Disease in Type 1 Diabetes by Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Diabetologia 2011, 54(9), 2421-2429.
- Lim EL, Hollingsworth KG, Smith FE, Thelwall PE, Taylor R. Effects of raising muscle glycogen synthesis rate on skeletal muscle ATP turnover rate in type 2 diabetes. American Journal of Physiology: Endocrinology and Metabolism 2011, 301(6), E1155.
- Lim EL, Hollingsworth KG, Smith F, Thelwall P, Taylor R. Inhibition of lipolysis in type 2 diabetes normalizes glucose disposal without change in muscle glycogen synthesis rates. Clinical Science 2011, 121(4), 169-177.
- Smith FE, Cousins DA, Thelwall P, Ferrier IN, Blamire AM. Quantitative lithium magnetic resonance spectroscopy in the normal human brain on a 3 T clinical scanner. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 2011, 66(4), 945-949.
- Lim EL, Hollingsworth KG, Thelwall PE, Taylor R. Measuring the acute effect of insulin infusion on ATP turnover rate in human skeletal muscle using phosphorus-31 magnetic resonance saturation transfer spectroscopy. NMR in Biomedicine 2010, 23(8), 952-957.
- Stevenson EJ, Thelwall PE, Thomas K, Smith F, Brand-Miller JC, Trenell MI. Dietary glycemic index influences lipid oxidation but not muscle or liver glycogen oxidation during exercise. American Journal of Physiology: Endocrinology and Metabolism 2009, 296(5), E1140-1147.
- Shepherd TM, Thelwall PE, Stanisz GJ, Blackband SJ. Aldehyde fixative solutions alter the water relaxation and diffusion properties of nervous tissue. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 2009, 62(1), 26-34.
- Shepherd TM, Flint JJ, Thelwall PE, Stanisz GJ, Mareci TH, Yachnis AT, Blackband SJ. Postmortem interval alters the water relaxation and diffusion properties of rat nervous tissue - Implications for MRI studies of human autopsy samples. NeuroImage 2009, 44(3), 820-826.
- Hollingsworth KG, Jones DE, Aribisala BS, Thelwall PE, Taylor R, Newton JL, Blamire AM. Globus pallidus magnetisation transfer ratio, T1 and T2 in primary biliary cirrhosis: relationship with disease stage and age. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging 2009, 29(4), 780-784.
- Garrood P, Hollingsworth K, Thelwall P, Birchall D, Eagle M, Bushby K, Straub V. MRI in Duchenne muscular dystrophy: Quantification of fat infiltration and gadolinium uptake using whole-muscle regions of interest. Neuromuscular Disorders 2007, 17(9-10), 816-817.
- Thelwall PE. Detection of 17O-tagged phosphate by 31P MRS: A method with potential for in vivo studies of phosphorus metabolism. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 2007, 57(6), 1168-1172.
- Ozarslan E, Basser PJ, Shepherd TM, Thelwall PE, Vemuri BC, Blackband SJ. Observation of anomalous diffusion in excised tissue by characterizing the diffusion-time dependence of the MR signal. Journal of Magnetic Resonance 2006, 183(2), 315-323.
- Thelwall PE, Shepherd TM, Stanisz GJ, Blackband SJ. Effects of temperature and aldehyde fixation on tissue water diffusion properties, studied in an erythrocyte ghost tissue model. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 2006, 56(2), 282-289.
- Thelwall PE, Yemin AY, Gillian TL, Simpson NE, Kasibhatla MS, Rabbani ZN, MacDonald JM, Blackband SJ, Gamcsik MP. Noninvasive In vivo Detection of Glutathione Metabolism in Tumors. Cancer Research 2005, 65(22), 10149-10153.
- Shepherd TM, Thelwall PE, Blackband SJ, Pike BR, Hayes RL, Wirth ED III. Diffusion magnetic resonance imaging study of a rat hippocampal slice model for acute brain injury. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow & Metabolism 2003, 23(12), 1461-1470.
- Shepherd TM, Wirth ED, Thelwall PE, Chen HX, Roper SN, Blackband SJ. Water Diffusion Measurements in Perfused Human Hippocampal Slices Undergoing Tonicity Changes. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 2003, 49(5), 856-863.
- Thelwall PE, Grant SC, Stanisz GJ, Blackband SJ. Human Erythrocyte Ghosts: Exploring the Origins of Multiexponential Water Diffusion in a Model Biological Tissue With Magnetic Resonance. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 2002, 48(4), 649-657.
- Beck B, Plant DH, Grant SC, Thelwall PE, Silver X, Mareci TH, Benveniste H, Smith M, Collins C, Crozier S, Blackband SJ. Progress in high field MRI at the University of Florida. Magnetic Resonance Materials in Physics, Biology and Medicine 2001, 13(3), 152-157.
- Thelwall PE, Neves AA, Brindle KM. Measurement of bioreactor perfusion using dynamic contrast agent-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging. Biotechnology and Bioengineering 2001, 75(6), 682-690.
- Thelwall PE, Brindle KM. Analysis of CHO-K1 cell growth in a fixed bed bioreactor using magnetic resonance spectroscopy and imaging. Cytotechnology 1999, 30(1/3), 121-132.
- Beauregard DA, Thelwall PE, Chaplin DJ, Hill SA, Adams GE, Brindle KM. Magnetic resonance imaging and spectroscopy of combretastatin A4 prodrug-induced disruption of tumour perfusion and energetic status. British Journal of Cancer 1998, 77(11), 1761-7.
- Detko E, O'Hara JP, Thelwall PE, Smith FE, Jakovljevic DG, King RFGJ, Trenell MI. Liver and muscle glycogen repletion using C-13 magnetic resonance spectroscopy following ingestion of maltodextrin, galactose, protein and amino acids. British Journal of Nutrition 2013, 110(5), 848-855.
- Hodson K, Man CD, Smith FE, Thelwall PE, Cobelli C, Robson SC, Taylor R. Mechanism of Insulin Resistance in Normal Pregnancy. HORMONE AND METABOLIC RESEARCH 2013, 45(8), 567-571.
- Hynes AM, Giles RH, Srivastava S, Eley L, Whitehead J, Danilenko M, Raman S, Slaats GG, Colville JG, Ajzenberg H, Kroes HY, Thelwall PE, Simmons NL, Miles CG, Sayer JA. Murine Joubert syndrome reveals Hedgehog signaling defects as a potential therapeutic target for nephronophthisis. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 2014, 111(27), 9893-9898.
- Macauley M, Percival K, Thelwall P, Hollingsworth K, Taylor R. Precise non-invasive quantification of pancreas volume and relationship with insulin secretion in Type 2 diabetes. In: Diabetes UK Professional Conference 2014. 2014, Liverpool, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Thelwall PE, Smith FE, Leavitt M, Hu W, Hollingsworth KG, Thoma C, Trenell MI, Taylor R, Rutkowski JV, Blamire AM, Quinn AG. Hepatic cholesteryl ester accumulation in lysosomal acid lipase deficiency: Non-invasive identification and treatment monitoring by magnetic resonance. In: 48th Annual meeting of the European Association for the Study of the Liver. 2013, Amsterdam, Netherlands: Elsevier BV.
- Pearson RA, Thelwall PE, Snell J, McKenna J, Pieniazek P, Fitzgerald E, Heer R, McMenemin RM, Pedley ID, Azzabi A, Maxwell RJ, Newell DR, Plummer ER, Frew JA. Evaluation of early responses to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in muscle-invasive bladder cancer using a dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI and diffusion-weighted MRI: MARBLE study. In: Genitourinary Cancers Symposium 2016. 2016, San Francisco, California: Journal of Clinical Oncology.
- Macauley M, Percival K, Thelwall PE, Hollingsworth KG, Taylor R. Altered Volume, Morphology and Composition of the Pancreas in Type 2 Diabetes. PLOS One 2015, 10(5), e0126825.
- Macauley M, Smith FE, Thelwall PE, Hollingsworth KG, Taylor R. Diurnal variation in skeletal muscle and liver glycogen in humans with normal health and Type 2 diabetes. Clinical Science 2015, 128(10), 707-713.
- Macauley M, Hollingsworth KG, Smith FE, Thelwall PE, Al-Mrabeh A, Schweizer A, Foley JE, Taylor R. Effect of Vildagliptin on Hepatic Steatosis. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 2015, 100(4), 1578-1585.
- Gonzalez JT, Fuchs CJ, Smith FE, Thelwall PE, Taylor R, Stevenson EJ, Trenell MI, Cermak NM, van Loon LJC. Ingestion of glucose or sucrose prevents liver but not muscle glycogen depletion during prolonged endurance-type exercise in trained cyclists. American Journal of Physiology Endocrinology and Metabolism 2015, 309(12), E1032-E1039.