Professor Phil White
Professor of Interventional and Diagnostic Neuroradiology
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0) 191 20 86238
- Fax: +44 (0) 1912225540
- Address: Stroke Research Group
Institute of Neuroscience and Newcastle University Institute for Ageing
3-4 Claremont Terrace
Newcastle upon Tyne
Professor of Neuroradiology, Newcastle University
Phil White holds a BSc. in Clinical Pharmacology (1st) and MB ChB medicine (with Hons & Distinction) from Liverpool University as well as MSc in Clinical Imaging and MD (with Distinction) from the University of Edinburgh based on research into haemorrhagic stroke (SAH). He was appointed Consultant & Hon Sen Lecturer/Reader in Neuroradiology including neurointervention in Edinburgh in 2000 then Reader at University of Edinburgh in 2011 and more recently has taken up the first UK Chair of Interventional Neuroradiology at Newcastle University.
He is the PI or CoPI of three ongoing multicentre/multinational randomised controlled trials in ischaemic and haemorrhagic stroke and is strand lead on HTA programme Grant in stroke care.
He has published a number of systematic reviews in the field of neurointervention and neurovascular imaging. He has lectured extensively nationally and internationally on neuroradiology and interventional research.
He represents the Royal College of Radiologists on the Intercollegiate Working Party in Stroke, which runs the National stroke audit and publishes the National Clinical Guideline for Stroke. He also represents Br Soc Neuroradiologists (BSNR) on the stroke service peer review programme and chaired the BSNR Standards subcommittee 2008-2014. In 2009 he was appointed Chair of Acute Clinical Studies Group of the UK Stroke Research Network, renewed until its end in 2015. He is a member of the HTA Interventional procedures panel 2015-2019.
He was elected Secretary of UK Neurointerventional Group 2013-2016. He chairs the European Society of Minimally Invasive Neurological Therapy Clinical Research Committee and is on the editorial Board of the Journal of Neurointerventional Surgery.
He is a member of RCR iRefer Guidelines Working Party 2014-2016
He has collaborated extensively with industrial imaging partners – Siemens, Philips and Toshiba, medical device companies (Microvention, Micrus, Codman, Sequent and BALT) and technology translational development companies in both imaging (IBEX Innovations) and device fields (Mindframe, Barricade).
He is a specialist advisor to a number of bodies including NICE, Wellcome, HTA and Connecting for Health including on translational industrial projects.
PI TOPSAT 2 RCT - EME funded
HTA PEARS Programme Grant - strand lead
Co-PI PISTE RCT & proposed PISTEai RCT
Co-PI STABILISE RCT
MRC Confidence in Concept Award
Aneurist collaboration - EFP7 VPH programme
Horizon 2020 DSI Phase 1 co-applicant & Phase 2 submitted
Co-applicant Innovate UK 2 SMART Awards for novel X-Ray detector technology & 1 submitted
Imaging lead for RESTART BHF Programme Grant
Neuroradiology Support for MRC Senior Clinician Scientist Award
UK lead for LARGE FD randomised trial
PI for UK FD Registry
PI Core lab for University of Montreal PRET trial & other core lab studies (ARETA, eClips)
Runs annual INR interactive course - BRAINSTORM 2005 to date
Co-organiser Revascularisation masterclass for BASP/UKNG 2015
Runs "Passionate about Stroke" 2012 to date
Co-organiser CTA in stroke update days 2015 -2016
Co-organiser Scottish MRI Course 2011-2013
Organiser Neuroradiology updates for RCR
Supervisor (lead) or co-supervisor for 4 PhDs; Radiology ACF & ACL supervisor
Sub-editor for the major e-learning teaching initiative funded by Dept Health/RCR for development of e-learning package for neuroradiology as part of a comprehensive e-learning system for Radiology
Neuroradiology PG tutor for the SE Scotland training scheme 2001-2009 and in addition for the Tayside scheme 2003-2009
External examiner for UCL MSc in Neuroimaging 2014-2017 inclusive
Extensive invited lectures, including as keynote speaker, nationally and internationally
9 book chapters
Contributor to RCR "i REFER" electronic guide & member of RCR Guidelines Working Party
- Horne MA, Flemming KD, Su I-C, Stapf C, Jeon JP, Li D, Maxwell SS, White P, Christianson TJ, Agid R, Cho W-S, Oh CW, Wu Z, Zhang J, Kim JE, ter Brugge K, Willinsky R, Brown RD, Murray GD, Al-Shahi Salman R. Clinical course of untreated cerebral cavernous malformations: a meta-analysis of individual patient data. Lancet Neurology 2016, 15(2), 166-173.
- Salman RA, Counsell CE, White PM. Conservative Management vs Intervention for Unruptured Brain Arteriovenous Malformations -- Reply. JAMA-Journal of the American Medical Association 2014, 312(10), 1058-1059.
- Samarasekera N, Fonville A, Lerpiniere C, Farrall AJ, Wardlaw JM, White PM, Smith C, Salman RA, Lothian Audit Treatment Cerebral. Influence of Intracerebral Hemorrhage Location on Incidence, Characteristics, and Outcome Population-Based Study. Stroke 2015, 46(2), 361-368.
- Josephson CB, White PM, Krishan A, Al-Shahi Salman R. Computed tomography angiography or magnetic resonance angiography for detection of intracranial vascular malformations in patients with intracerebral haemorrhage. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2014, (9), CD009372.
- White PM, Lewis SC, Gholkar A, Sellar RJ, Nahser H, Cognard C, Forrester L, Wardlaw JM. Hydrogel-coated coils versus bare platinum coils for the endovascular treatment of intracranial aneurysms (HELPS): a randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2011, 377(9778), 1655-1662.
- Khatri P, Hacke W, Fiehler J, Saver JL, Diener HC, Bendszus M, Bracard S, Broderick J, Campbell B, Ciccone A, Davalos A, Davis S, Demchuk AM, Dippel D, Donnan G, Fiorella D, Goyal M, Hill MD, Jauch EC, Jovin TG, Kidwell CS, Majoie C, Martins SCO, Mitchell P, Mocco J, Muir K, Nogueira RG, Schonewille WJ, Siddiqui AH, Thomalla G, Tomsick TA, Turk AS, White PM, Zaidat OO, Liebeskind DS, Fulton R, Lees KR, VISTA-Endovasc Collaboration. State of Acute Endovascular Therapy Report From the 12th Thrombolysis, Thrombectomy, and Acute Stroke Therapy Conference. Stroke 2015, 46(6), 1727-1734.
- Wintermark M, Albers GW, Broderick JP, Demchuk AM, Fiebach JB, Fiehler J, Grotta JC, Houser G, Jovin TG, Lees KR, Lev MH, Liebeskind DS, Luby M, Muir KW, Parsons MW, von Kummer R, Wardlaw JM, Wu O, Yoo AJ, Alexandrov AV, Alger JR, Aviv RI, Bammer R, Baron JC, Calamante F, Campbell BCV, Carpenter TC, Christensen S, Copen WA, Derdeyn CP, Haley C, Khatri P, Kudo K, Lansberg MG, Latour LL, Lee TY, Leigh R, Lin WL, Lyden P, Mair G, Menon BK, Michel P, Mikulik R, Nogueira RG, Ostergaard L, Pedraza S, Riedel CH, Rowley HA, Sanelli PC, Sasaki M, Saver JL, Schaefer PW, Schellinger PD, Tsivgoulis G, Wechsler LR, White PM, Zaharchuk G, Zaidat OO, Davis SM, Donnan GA, Furlan AJ, Hacke W, Kang DW, Kidwell C, Thijs VN, Thomalla G, Warach SJ, Storke Imageing Res STIR Imaging, Virtual Int Stroke Trials Archive. Acute Stroke Imaging Research Roadmap II. Stroke 2013, 44(9), 2628-2639.
- Wintermark M, et al. Acute Stroke Imaging Research Roadmap II. Stroke 2013, 44(9), 2628-2639.
- Sandercock P, Wardlaw JM, Lindley RI, Dennis M, Cohen G, Murray G, Innes K, Venables G, Czlonkowska A, Kobayashi A, Ricci S, Murray V, Berge E, Slot KB, Hankey GJ, Correia M, Peeters A, Matz K, Lyrer P, Gbitz G, Pillips SJ, Arauz A, Baigent C, Chadwick D, Tyrrell P, Lowe G, Collins R, Bath P, VanGijn J, Gray R, Hart R, Yusuf S, Clark A, Perry D, Soosay V, Buchanan D, Grant S, Sakka E, Drever J, Walker P, Herath I, Brown AL, Chmielnik P, Armit C, Walton A, Hautvast M, Lewis S, Heron G, Odusanya S, Linksted P, Kane I, Whiteley W, Sellar R, White P, Keston P, Farrell A, Morris Z, Miranda H, Blackwell L, IST-3 collaborative group. The benefits and harms of intravenous thrombolysis with recombinant tissue plasminogen activator within 6 h of acute ischaemic stroke (the third international stroke trial [IST-3]): A randomised controlled trial. Lancet 2012, 379(9834), 1232-1236.
- Josephson CB, White PM, Krishan A, Salman RA. Computed Tomographic Angiography or Magnetic Resonance Angiography for Detection of Intracranial Vascular Malformations in Patients With Intracerebral Hemorrhage. Stroke 2015, 46(1), E2-E3.
- Lindley RI, Wardlaw JM, White P. Alteplase for acute ischemic stroke: outcomes by clinically important subgroups in the Third International Stroke Trial. Stroke 2015, 46(3), 746-756.
- Naggara ON, White PM, Guilbert F, Roy D, Weill A, Raymond J. Endovascular treatment of intracranial unruptured aneurysms: systematic review and meta-analysis of the literature on safety and efficacy. Radiology 2010, 256(3), 887-897.
- Mitra D, Gregson B, Jayakrishnan V, Gholkar A, Vincent A, White PM, Mitchell P. Treatment of Poor-Grade Subarachnoid Hemorrhage Trial. American Journal of Neuroradiology 2014.
- White PM, Raymond J. Endovascular coiling of cerebral aneurysms using "bioactive" or coated-coil technologies: a systematic review of the literature. AJNR American Journal of Neuroradiology 2009, 30(2), 219-226.
- Mair G, von Kummer R, Adami A, White PM, Adams ME, Yan B, Demchuk AM, Farrall AJ, Sellar RJ, Ramaswamy R, Mollison D, Boyd EV, Rodrigues MA, Samji K, Baird AJ, Cohen G, Sakka E, Palmer J, Perry D, Lindley R, Sandercock PAG, Wardlaw JM, The IST-3 Collaborative Group. Observer Reliability of CT Angiography in the assessment of acute ischaemic stroke: Data from the Third International Stroke Trial. Neuroradiology 2015, 57(1), 1-9.
- White PM, Lewis SC, Nahser H, Sellar RJ, Goddard T, Gholkar A. HydroCoil Endovascular Aneurysm Occlusion and Packing Study (HELPS trial): procedural study and operator-assessed efficacy results. American Journal of Neuroradiology 2008, 29(2), 217-223.
- Samarasekera N, Lerpiniere C, Fonville A, Farrall A, Wardlaw JM, White PM, Torgersen A, Ironside JW, Smith S, Al-ShahiSalman RA. Consent for brain tissue donation after intracerebral haemorrhage: a community based study. PLOS One 2015, 10(8), e0135043.
- MacIsaac RL, Khatri P, Bendszus M, Bracrad S, Broderick J, Campbell B, Ciccone A, Dávalos A, Davis SM, Demchuk A, Diener H-C, Dippel D, Donnan GA, Fiehler J, Fiorella D, Goyal M, Hacke W, Hill MD, Jahan R, Jauch E, Jovin T, Kidwell CS, Liebeskind D, Majoie CB, Martins SCO, Mitchell P, Mocco J, Muir KW, Noguiera R, Saver JL, Schonewille WJ, Siddiqui AH, Thomalla G, Tomsick TA, Turk AS, White P, Zaidat O, Lees KR. A collaborative sequential meta-analysis of individual patient data from randomized trials of endovascular therapy and tPA vs. tPA alone for acute ischemic stroke: ThRombEctomy and tPA (TREAT) analysis: statistical analysis plan for a sequential meta-analysis performed within the VISTA-Endovascular collaboration. International Journal of Stroke 2015, 10(Suppl. A100), 136-144.
- Bodily KD, Cloft HJ, Lanzino G, Fiorella DJ, White PM, Kallmes DF. Stent-assisted coiling in acutely ruptured intracranial aneurysms: a qualitative, systematic review of the literature. AJNR American Journal of Neuroradiology 2011, 32(7), 1232-1236.
- Brinjikji W, White PM, Nahser H, Wardlaw J, Sellar R, Gholkar A, Cloft HJ, Kallmes DF. HydroCoils are associated with lower angiographic recurrence rates than are bare platinum coils in treatment of "difficult to treat" aneurysms: a post hoc subgroup analysis of the HELPS trial. American Journal of Neuroradiology 2015, 36(9), 1689-1694.
- Brinjikji W, White PM, Nahser H, Wardlaw J, Sellar R, Cloft HJ, Kallmes DF. HydroCoils reduce recurrence rates in recently ruptured medium-sized intracranial aneurysms: a subgroup analysis of the HELPS trial. American Journal of Neuroradiology 2015, 36(6), 1136-1141.
- Broeders JA, Ali UA, Molyneux AJ, Poncyljusz W, Raymond J, White PM, Steinfort B. Bioactive versus bare platinum coils for the endovascular treatment of intracranial aneurysms: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials. Journal of Neurointerventional Surgery 2015, (Online first).
- Miller TD, White PM, Davenport RJ, Al-Shahi-Salman R. Screening patients with a family history of subarachnoid haemorrhage for intracranial aneurysms: screening uptake, patient characteristics and outcome. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 2012, 83(1), 86-88.
- Fiehler J, Soderman M, Turjman F, White PM, Bakke SJ, Mangiafico S, von-Kummer R, Muto M, Cognard C, Gralla J. Future trials of endovascular mechanical recanalisation therapy in acute ischemic stroke patients - A position paper endorsed by ESMINT and ESNR: Part II: methodology and future trials. Neuroradiology 2012, 54(12), 1303-1312.
- Pierot L, Gralla J, Cognard C, White PM. Mechanical Thrombectomy after IMS III, Synthesis, and MR-RESCUE. American Journal of Neuroradiology 2013, 34, 1671-1673.
- Macleod MR, White PM. Not tonight, darling, I might get a headache. Stroke 2011, 42(7), 1807-1808.
- White PM, Gilmour JN, Weir NW, Innes B, Sellar RJ. AngioCT in the management of neurointerventional patients: a prospective, consecutive series with associated dosimetry and resolution data. Neuroradiology 2008, 50(4), 321-330.
- Sanyal R, Barrick J, Bhalla A, Cassidy T, Collas D, Cloud G, Fearon P, Gompertz P, Keir S, Khanna P, Power M, White P, Roffe C. The 2010 British Association of Stroke Physicians Survey of interventional treatments for stroke in the United Kingdom. International Journal of Stroke 2013, 8(Suppl A100), 62-68.
- Fiehler J, Soderman M, Turjman F, White PM, Bakke SJ, Mangiafico S, von-Kummer R, Muto M, Cognard C, Gralla J. Future trials of endovascular mechanical recanalisation therapy in acute ischemic stroke patientsL a position paper endorsed by ESMINT and ESNR: Part 1: Current situation and major research questions. Neuroradiology 2012, 54(12), 1293-1301.
- Sellar R, White PM. Best evidence: Comments on meta-analysis of coiling versus clipping. American Journal of Neuroradiology 2013, 34, 1385-1386.
- Raymond J, Roy D, White PM, Fiorella D, Chapot R, Bracard S, Kallmes DF, Icone Collaborative Group. A Randomized Trial Comparing Platinum and Hydrogel-coated Coils in Patients Prone to Recurrence after Endovascular Treatment (The PRET Trial). Interventional Neuroradiology 2008, 14(1), 73-83.
- Pierot L, Fiehler J, White PM. TAR: A Useful Index to Follow-Up Coiled Intracranial Aneurysms?. American Journal of Neuroradiology 2014.
- White PM, Bhatnagar P. Clotbusting: Beyond Intravenous Thrombolysis for Iscahemic Stroke. Advances in Clinical Neuroscience and Rehabilitation 2014, 14(1), 14-18.
- Scott DA, Keston P, White P, Sellar R. Vascular plug for ICA occlusion in cavernous carotid aneurysms: technical note. Neuroradiology 2008, 50(9), 795-798.
- Raymond J, White P, Kallmes DF, Spears J, Marotta T, Roy D, Guilbert F, Weill A, Nguyen T, Molyneux AJ, Cloft HH, Cekirge S, Saatci I, Bracard S, Meder JF, Moret J, Cognard C, Qureshi AI, Turk AS, Bernstein A. ICONE: An International Consortium of Neuro Endovascular Centres. Interventional Neuroradiology 2008, 14(2), 203-208.
- Cora EA, Mohamed AM, White P, Ford G. CT angiography in acute ischemic stroke: A validated case archive based on an audit of local practice. In: The European Stroke Organisation - Annual Conference. 2015, Glasgow, UK: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Campbell BV, vanZwam WH, Goyal M, Menon BK, Dippel DWJ, Demchuk A, Bracard S, White PM, et al. Effect of General Anaesthesia on functional outcome among patients with anterior circulation ischaemic stroke undergoing Endovascular Thrombectomy versus standard care: a meta-analysis of individual patient Data from seven randomised controlled trials. . Lancet Neurology 2017. In Press.
- Mair G, vonKummer R, Adami A, White PM, Adams ME, Yan B, Demchuk AM, Farrall AJ, Sellar RJ, Sakka E, Palmer J, Perry D, Lindley R, Sandercok PA, Wardlaw JM. Arterial obstruction on computed tomographioc or MR angiography and response to intravenous thrombolyis in ischemic storke. Stroke 2017, 48, 353-360.
- Lenthall R, McConachie N, White P, Clifton A, Rowland-Hill C. BSNR Training guidance for mechanical thrombectomy. Clinical Radiology 2017, 72(2), 175.e11-175.e18.
- White PM, Lenthall R, McConachie N, Bhalla A, James M, Dinsmore J, Rodgers H, Rowland-Hill C. Commentary on: Implementing mechanical thrombectomy for acute ischaemic stroke in the UK. Clinical Radiology 2017, 72(2), 123-125.
- Cora A, Gonsalves P, Ford GA, Flynn D, White P. CTA in acute stroke: short intensive training intervention is highly effective in improving radiologists’ performance. Clinical Radiology 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Muir KW, Ford GA, Messow C-M, Ford I, Murray A, Clifton A, Brown MM, Madigan J, Lenthall R, Robertson F, Dixit A, Cloud GC, Wardlaw J, Freeman J, White PM. Endovascular therapy for acute ischaemic stroke: the Pragmatic Ischaemic Stroke Thrombectomy Evaluation (PISTE) randomised, controlled trial. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry 2017, 88(1), 38-44.
- McMeekin P, White PM, Martin J, Ford GA. Estimating the number of UK stroke patients eligible for endovascular thrombectomy. European Stroke Journal 2017. In Press.
- Raymond J, Link R, Chagnon M, Barnwell SL, Evans AJ, Mocco J, Hoh BH, Turk AS, Turner RD, Desal H, Fiorella D, Bracard S, Weill A, Guilbert G, Lanthier S, Fox AJ, Darsaut T, Roy DJ, White PM, Roy D. Hydrogel versus bare platinum coils in patients with large or recurrent aneurysms prone to recurrence after endovascular treatment (PRET): a randomized controlled trial. American Journal of Neuroradiology 2017, (ePub ahead of Print).
- Flynn D, Francis R, Halvorsud K, Gonzalo-Almorox E, Craig D, Robalino S, McMeekin P, Cora A, Balami J, Ford GA, White PM. Intra-arterial Mechanical Thrombectomy Stent Retrievers and Modern Devices in the Treatment of Acute Ischaemic Stroke: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis with Trial Sequential Analysis. European Stroke Journal 2017. In Press.
- Evans M, White PM, Cowley P, Werring D. Revolution in acute ischaemic stroke care: a practical guide to mechanical thrombectomy. Practical Neurology 2017. Submitted.
- Flynn D, Ford GA, McMeekin PJ, White PM. Characteristics of intra-arterial thrombectomy service provision in England. International Journal of Stroke 2016, 11(8), NP83-NP85.
- Muir KW, White PM. HERMES: messenger for stroke interventional treatment. Lancet 2016, e-pub ahead of print.
- White PM, Bhalla A, Dinsmore J, James M, McConnachie N, Roffe C, Young G. Standards for providing safe acute ischaemic stroke thrombectomy services. Clinical Radiology 2016, 72(2), 175.e1-175.e9.
- Lavine SD, White PM, et al. Training Guidelines for Endovascular Ischemic Stroke Intervention: An International multi-society consensus document. Journal of Neurointerventional Surgery 2016, 8(10), 989-991.
- Lavine SD, Cockroft K, Hoh B, Bambakidis AA, Khalessi H, Woo H, White P, Et al. Training Guidelines for Endovascular Ischemic Stroke Intervention: An International Multi-Society Consensus Document. American Journal of Neuroradiology 2016, 37, E31-E34.
- Yap L, Hind N, Dougeni E, Jayakrishnan V, Tan SW, White P. Use of Clarity IQ™ angiographic technology to reduce patient doses - The Newcastle Experience. Journal of Neurointerventional Surgery 2016. In Press.
- Flynn D, Ford GA, McMeekin P, White P. Characteristics of intra-arterial thrombectomy services in England. In: UK Stroke Forum 2015 Conference. 2015, Liverpool, UK: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Murray A, Muir KW, White P. Pragmatic Ischaemic Stroke Thrombectomy Evaluation: PISTE. In: The European Stroke Organisation Annual Conference. 2015, Glasgow, UK: Sage.