Dr Roman Bauer
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: +44 191 208 5685
- Address: Institute of Neuroscience,
Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 4HH
A PhD studentship, funded by the Medical Research Council, is available in my team. For more information, see this website. For informal inquiries, please contact me via email.
Roman Bauer is an MRC Skills Development Fellow, with a research focus on neural development. He devises and analyses computational and statistical models of how cortical and retinal tissue evolves during development, in order to better understand the dynamics leading to healthy and pathological states. These models incorporate the interaction between genetic rules and physical laws of the extracellular environment. Since such a detailed approach can be very demanding from a computational point of view, his research also involves modern computing approaches and IT-related collaboration.
Roman received his Bachelor's and Master's Degree in Computational Science and Engineering from ETH Zuerich, Switzerland. Afterwards, he did his doctoral studies with Prof. Rodney Douglas at the Institute for Neuroinformatics (INI) at ETH and University Zuerich, working on simulations of cortical development. He joined Prof. Marcus Kaiser's lab in September 2013 and afterwards started his MRC fellowship project in September 2016.
- Zubler F, Hauri A, Pfister S, Bauer R, Anderson JC, Whatley AM, Douglas RJ. Simulating Cortical Development as a Self Constructing Process: A Novel Multi-Scale Approach Combining Molecular and Physical Aspects. PLoS Computational Biology 2013, 9(8), e1003173.
- Bauer R, Zubler F, Hauri A, Muir DR, Douglas RJ. Developmental Origin of Patchy Axonal Connectivity in the Neocortex: A Computational Model. Cerebral Cortex 2014, 24(2), 487-500.
- Bauer R, Kaiser M, Stoll E. A computational model incorporating neural stem cell dynamics reproduces glioma incidence across the lifespan in the human population. PLoS ONE 2014, 9(11), e111219.
- Bauer R, Zubler F, Pfister S, Hauri A, Pfeiffer M, Muir D, Douglas RJ. Developmental self-construction and –configuration of functional neocortical neuronal networks. PLoS Computational Biology 2014, 10(12), e1003994.
- Breitwieser L, Bauer R, DiMeglio A, Johard L, Kaiser M, Manca M, Mazzara M, Rademakers F, Talanov M. The BioDynaMo Project: creating a platform for large-scale reproducible biological simulations. In: 4th Workshop on Sustainable Software for Science: Practice and Experiences. 2016, Manchester, UK: CEUR Workshop Proceedings.
- Gonzalez-de-Aledo P, Sanchez P, Manca M, Baugh J, Vladimirov A, Asai R, Kaiser M, Bauer R. An optimization approach for agent-based computational models of biological development. Advances in Engineering Software 2017. In Press.
- Bauer R, Kaier M, Cardarelli R, Aielli G. Considerations on Brain-Machine Interfaces from a Neuroscience and Physics Perspective. In: Marco Manca, ed. Handbook of Complexity in Medicine. Springer, 2019. In Press.
- Bauer R, Kaiser M. Nonlinear growth: An origin of hub organization in complex networks. Royal Society Open Science 2017.
- Bauer R, Kaiser M. Organisational Principles of Connectomes: Changes during Evolution and Development. In: Shuichi S; Yasunori M; Tadashi N, ed. Brain Evolution by Design: From Neural Origin to Cognitive Architecture. Tokyo, Japan: Springer Japan, 2017, pp.387-401.
- Bauer R, Breitwieser L, DiMeglio A, Johard L, Kaiser M, Manca M, Rademakers F, Talanov M, Tchitchigin A. The BioDynaMo Project: Experience Report. In: Jordi Vallverdú (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Spain), Manuel Mazzara (Innopolis University, Russia), Max Talanov (Kazan Federal University, Russia), Salvatore Distefano (University of Messina, Italy & Kazan Federal University, Russia) and Robert Lowe (University of Gothenburg, Sweden & University of Skövde, Sweden), ed. Advanced Research on Biologically Inspired Cognitive Architectures. IGI Global, 2017, pp.117-125.
- Breitwieser L, Bauer R, Di Meglio A, Johard L, Kaiser M, Manca M, Mazzara M, Rademakers F, Talanov M. The BioDynaMo project: Creating a platform for large-scale reproducible biological simulations. In: CEUR Workshop Proceedings. 2016, Manchester, UK: CEUR-WS.
- Bauer R, Clowry G, Kaiser M. Creative destruction: a basic computational model of cortical layer formation. Cerebral Cortex 2017. Submitted.
- Sakhaee E, Mahdiani M, Shojaei M, Hassanian-Moghaddam H, Bauer R, Zamani N, Pakdaman H, Gharagozli K. Prognostic Accuracy of qEEG in Opioid Overdose. Intensive Care Medicine 2018. In Preparation.