Dr Sarah Wigham
- Email: email@example.com
- Address: Institute of Neuroscience
Henry Wellcome Building
Faculty of Medical Science
Newcastle upon Tyne
The development of health measurement scales or outcome measures
Psychometric properties of outcome measures
Mental health, trauma/ post traumatic stress disorder
Preventative interventions upstream of clinical interventions
The effects of systems level factors on health outcomes
Best methods of translating research findings for stakeholders
Intellectual and developmental disabilities
BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy
BSc (Hons) Psychology
PhD Health Research (ESRC Studentship), Lancaster University, 2010
Professional Member of the British Association of Occupational Therapists.
Senior Occupational Therapist NHS
Researcher, Lancaster University
Current and Recent Work
- Systematic review of outcome measures used in interventions for anxiety in children with autism spectrum disorder
- Development of a measure of anxiety in autism spectrum disorder
- Psychometric properties of a new measure of anxiety
- Development of a measure of trauma
- Collaborator on a review of measures of suicidality and depression
- Screening and diagnostic tools for autism spectrum disorder
- Piloting a measure of trauma/ PTSD
- Developing a Measure of Anxiety for Children with autism spectrum disorder (Co-applicant)
Baily Thomas Fund
- Methods of diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder in adulthood
- A systematic review of the effectiveness of alcohol brief interventions and interventions for well being in armed forces personnel transitioning to civilian life. (Principal Investigator)
Forces in Mind Trust
- I currently co-supervise three students completing their Doctorate in Clinical Psychology research projects on the the development of measures of depression and anxiety in children and adults with autism spectrum disorder.
- Wigham S, Bauer A, Robalino S, Ferguson J, Burke A, Newbury-Birch D. A systematic review of the effectiveness of alcohol brief interventions for the UK military personnel moving back to civilian life. Journal of the Royal Army Medical Corps 2017, Epub ahead of print.
- Wigham S, Barton S, Parr JR, Rodgers J. A systematic review of the rates of depression in children and adults with high functioning autism spectrum disorder. Journal of Mental Health Research in Intellectual Disabilities 2017, 10(4), 267-287.
- Adams J, McNaughten RJ, Wigham S, Flynn D, Ternent L, Shucksmith J. Acceptability of Parental Financial Incentives and Quasi-Mandatory Interventions for Preschool Vaccinations: Triangulation of Findings from Three Linked Studies. PLoS One 2016, 11(6), e0156843.
- Rodgers J, Wigham S, McConachie H, Freeston M, Honey E, Parr JR. Development of the Anxiety Scale for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASC-ASD). Autism Research 2016, 9(11), 1205–1215.
- Adams J, Bateman B, Becker F, Cresswell T, Flynn D, McNaughton R, Oluboyede Y, Robalino S, Ternent L, Gardner Sood B, Michie S, Shucksmith J, Sniehotta FSF, Wigham S. Effectiveness and acceptability of parental financial incentives and quasi-mandatory schemes for increasing uptake of vaccinations in preschool children: systematic review, qualitative study, and discrete choice experiment. Southampton: National Institute for Health Research, 2015. Health Technology Assessment 19 (94).
- Parr J, Gray L, Wigham S, McConachie H, LeCouteur A. Measuring the relationship between the parental Broader Autism Phenotype, parent–child interaction, and children’s progress following parent mediated intervention. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders 2015, 20, 24-30.
- Wigham S, Emerson E. Trauma and life events in adults with intellectual disability. Current Developmental Disorders Reports 2015, 2(2), 93-99.
- Wigham S, Taylor JL, Hatton C. A prospective study of the relationship between adverse life events and trauma in adults with mild to moderate intellectual disabilities. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research 2014, 58(12), 1131-1140.
- South M, Chamberlain PD, Wigham S, Newton T, Le Couteur A, McConachie H, Gray L, Freeston M, Parr J, Kirwan CB, Rodgers J. Enhanced decision making and risk avoidance in high-functioning autism spectrum disorder. Neuropsychology 2014, 28(2), 222-228.
- Wigham S, Ternent L, Bryant A, Robalino S, Sniehotta FF, Adams J. Parental Financial Incentives for Increasing Preschool Vaccination Uptake: Systematic Review. Pediatrics 2014, 134(4), e1117-e1128.
- Wigham S, McConachie H. Systematic review of the properties of tools used to measure outcomes in anxiety intervention studies for children with autism spectrum disorders. PLoS ONE 2014, 9(1), e85268.
- Wigham S, Rodgers J, South M, McConachie H, Freeston M. The interplay between sensory processing abnormalities, intolerance of uncertainty, anxiety and restricted and repetitive behaviours in Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders 2014, 45(4), 943-952.
- Hudry K, Aldred C, Wigham S, Green J, Leadbitter K, Temple K, Barlow K, McConachie H, the PACT Consortium. Predictors of parent-child interaction style in dyads with autism. Research in Developmental Disabilities 2013, 34(10), 3400-3410.
- Wigham S, McConachie H, Tandos J, Le Couteur A, Gateshead Millennium Study core team. The reliability and validity of the Social Responsiveness Scale in a UK general child population. Research in Developmental Disabilities 2012, 33(3), 944-950.
- Wigham S, Hatton C, Taylor JL. The Effects of Traumatizing Life Events on People with Intellectual Disabilities: A Systematic Review. Journal of Mental Health Research in Intellectual Disabilities 2011, 4(1), 19-39.
- Wigham S, Hatton C, Taylor JL. The Lancaster and Northgate Trauma Scales (LANTS): The development and psychometric properties of a measure of trauma for people with mild to moderate intellectual disabilities. Research in Developmental Disabilities 2011.
- Hatton C, Wigham S, Craig J. Developing measures of job performance for support staff in housing services for people with intellectual disabilities. Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities 2009, 22(1), 54-64.
- Wigham S, Robertson J, Emerson E, Hatton C, Elliott J, McIntosh B, Swift P, Krinjen-Kemp E, Towers C, Romeo R, Knapp M, Sanderson H, Routledge M, Oakes P, Joyce T. Reported goal setting and benefits of person centred planning for people with intellectual disabilities. Journal of Intellectual Disabilities 2008, 12(2), 143-152.
- Wigham S, Supyk J. Should Occupational Therapists Work Shifts?. British Journal of Occupational Therapy 2001, 64(3), 151-152.